Should businesses leaving America have to pay an "expatriation tax"?

Walt 2012/07/18 06:35:22
American citizens are viewed as chattel for tax purposes. We are the only citizens in the world who are expected to pay taxes to our home country when we relocate or take jobs abroad. Even those who go to an American embassy on foreign soil to renounce their citizenship and formally declare themselves citizens of another country are required to pay an Expatriation Tax.

Since the Supreme Court now recognizes corporations as people, should corporations be required to pay the equivalent of an expatriation tax when they relocate to a foreign country?

corporations people required pay equivalent expatriation tax relocate foreign country

• texasred 2012/07/20 21:51:54
    texasred
    +1
    No... but the Dems will try to squeeze every penny out of these businesses so they can continue to spend indiscriminately. They are killing this nation.
  • ScottyG - Faqueue 2012/07/20 16:29:38
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +1
    Isn't that why they are leaving to begin with? If you assess an "exit tax" you can kiss the chance of them ever coming back goodbye!
  • Walt ScottyG... 2012/07/20 17:21:21
    Walt
    +1
    That is a good point!
  • ScottyG... Walt 2012/07/20 19:52:14
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +1
    Sometimes I make actual sense.
  • Walt ScottyG... 2012/07/20 19:55:36
    Walt
    +1
    I don't really think businesses should pay an exit tax, but I don't think private citizens should have to pay one either.

(I kind of misrepresented a little bit. I left out the part where expatriation taxes only apply to people leaving with in excess of $2 million, but I figured it evens out. Most businesses leaving the country have more than that.)
  • ScottyG... Walt 2012/07/20 22:05:21
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +1
    Especially the individuals and businesses who are smart enough to see how this kills their financial well being.

They got while the getting was good. I can't blame them for wanting to keep it rather than have greedy politicians be poor conservators of their money.
  • Walt ScottyG... 2012/07/20 22:07:14
    Walt
    +1
    Yes. They saw the snowball rolling down the hill and they got out of the way.
  • ScottyG... Walt 2012/07/20 22:20:43
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +1
    Just plain smart!
  • Theresa 2012/07/18 17:11:42
    Theresa
    +2
    It makes sense if corporations are people too.
  • Semper Fi 2012/07/18 16:56:02
    Semper Fi
    +3
    The Tax Poem

Tax his land,
    Tax his bed,
    Tax the table
    At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,
    Tax his mule,
    Teach him taxes
    Are the rule.

Tax his work,
    Tax his pay,
    He works for peanuts
    Anyway!

Tax his cow,
    Tax his goat,
    Tax his pants,
    Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
    Tax his shirt,
    Tax his work,
    Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
    Tax his drink,
    Tax him if he
    Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
    Tax his beers,
    If he cries
    Tax his tears.

Tax his car,
    Tax his gas,
    Find other ways
    To tax his ass.

Tax all he has
    Then let him know
    That you won't be done
    Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers,
    Then tax him some more,
    Tax him till
    He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,
    Tax his grave,
    Tax the sod in
    Which he's laid.

Put these words
    Upon his tomb,
    "Taxes drove me
    to my doom..."

When he's gone,
    Do not relax,
    Its time to apply
    The inheritance tax.
  • maggiemay 2012/07/18 16:43:25
    maggiemay
    +4
    Hell no!! That's why their leaving or have left. They've been taxed to death, and regulated to the point they can't stay here.
  • Dwight PWCM 2012/07/18 16:40:48
    Dwight PWCM
    +2
    The whole idea is stupid. Basicly telling people where their money belongs. That idea hasn't made any nation prosperous yet, just caused outsiders to look elswhere for investment opportunity.
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2012/07/18 15:08:58
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +5
    No! But they should be given INCENTIVES to stay!!!
  • Semper Fi Louisa ... 2012/07/18 16:56:32
  • JT For Political Reform 2012/07/18 12:03:40
    JT For Political Reform
    +4
    That would sure hurt GE and GM...lol. No I think businesses that stay here in this country should get a tax break, which would open up the door for more business to come into this country and hire people who then would pay taxes on their income, the things they buy etc.
  • Pedro Doller ~Inc. 2012/07/18 09:00:30
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    +2
    Nobody should have to pay an expatriation tax, nor should anyone have to pay US taxes on income earned abroad ( US and Eritrea are the only countries in the world that do this).

If you were to tax this, no foreign investment would come into the US.

If it is a matter of nailing someone, why not make any company that makes more than 50% of it's products or services overseas be treated as a foreign corporation. Pay tariffs. That would be Walmart, Microsoft and most others. Most of these corporations have foreign subsidiaries and those profits never see US shores and they never pay US taxes (Haliburton, Microsoft, Exxon, HP, ...most of them)...they don't repatriate their profits.
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2012/07/18 07:49:58
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +11
    No but why not just make America more business friendly so they wouldn't be forced to leave.
  • Quietma... Hula gi... 2012/07/18 21:47:49
  • Donnie 2012/07/18 07:47:19
    Donnie
    +2
    no one or businesses should pay a tax for leaving, that's just. it'll just make them look for more loopholes to find some way of getting around it or practically leave bun still be there on paper or something like that.
  • WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB 2012/07/18 07:39:12
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    +4
    Put that way, the answer would have to be yes. Honestly never considered it.
  • Walt WannaBe... 2012/07/18 07:42:06
    Walt
    +4
    I think the best solution would be if nobody had to pay expatriation taxes, but if one has to, the other should too.
  • WannaBe... Walt 2012/07/18 07:54:01
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    +1
    Gotta agree with you on both points, Walt.
  • Z 2012/07/18 07:21:26
    Z
    +4
    Nope. A corporation or person usually only leaves a country if it is in their best interest. Particularly when it comes to businesses, which exist to make money. As a result, taxing someone for following their best interest isn't just stupid, its immoral.
  • Walt Z 2012/07/18 07:26:51
    Walt
    +4
    Yes, I agree. It is stupid and it is immoral.

Yet you would have to pay an expatriation tax. Corporations which are now considered human beings by the court system do not have to pay the same tax you would have to pay.
  • Z Walt 2012/07/18 13:34:10
    Z
    +1
    That doesn't mean we should force them to do so. It means that we should end the tax as a whole. Our nation should be good enough to maintain its ponies without such.
  • Magnus ☮ RP ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/07/18 07:17:48
    Magnus ☮ RP ☮ 2012 ☮
    +2
    The freedom of our Nation, should stop at it's borders. I do not believe businesses should ever have been able to duck and run offshore in the first place. They're as big a part of why this Nation is presently dying just as much as our resident Marxist and years of shoddy policy and regulations and codes and whatever else is also. Just saying, way to repay the Nation that made you and your business what it became... jerk. If that isn't a slap in the face, I don't know what is. And I hope those of you reading this, are able to differentiate what I've said between common sense and 'socialism'; not saying businesses have to give us handouts or something for nothing - not at all. If you get it, you get it. If you don't... well, its a proven fact "stupid" cannot be fixed.
  • AL 2012/07/18 07:07:45
    AL
    +2
    yes indeed and they should also get a tax break if they return as well
  • Walt AL 2012/07/18 07:13:11
    Walt
    +2
    Amen to that! We need to encourage them to stay or to come back if they stupidly leave.

(I say "stupidly" because businesses like Shell Oil opening plants in Russia often find they no longer own their own plants anymore and after they're kicked out, their people sometimes don't get to come back to the U.S. if they are of the host country's ethnic background.)
  • AL Walt 2012/07/18 07:20:43
    AL
    +2
    Russia is starting to sound alot like how Obama feels about our own privet sector in the U.S. now! The next thing you know Obama will try that Government control B.S. on them as well!
  • HarleyCharley 2012/07/18 07:00:29
    HarleyCharley
    +3
    why should they, if you don't want them to leave lower their taxes....
  • Walt HarleyC... 2012/07/18 07:04:43
    Walt
    +3
    I agree their taxes should be lowered.

Since the Supreme Court has stated that corporations are people, why should they be held to a lower standard than you or me when they decide to leave?

You would have to pay an expatriation tax. You are a person. They do not have to pay an expatriation tax. They too are considered a person.
  • AL HarleyC... 2012/07/18 07:24:12
    AL
    +1
    very good point
  • Reichstolz 2012/07/18 06:47:30
    Reichstolz
    +2
    What is there to stop me from halting all production in the US, leaving the empty shell building and still outsourcing the jobs, leaving the profit in the country of production? Do you feel all production is the property of government? If you do you do not understand what it is to be an American.

Are you ignorant to the fact that any person who lives and works outside the US for a 12 month period pays no income tax on that income to the US?
  • Walt Reichstolz 2012/07/18 06:51:01
    Walt
    +2
    Reread the question.

And stop trying to make personal attacks.
  • Reichstolz Walt 2012/07/18 06:52:46
    Reichstolz
    +1
    Not making a personal attack. I asked you a series of questions to better understand where your head is at.
  • Walt Reichstolz 2012/07/18 06:57:34
    Walt
    +4
    Okay. I will itemize my opinion, though that is not relevant to the very straightforward question I asked.

1. I do not think any American should have to pay taxes on money made abroad, but I can see that is not likely to change.

2. I do not think corporations are people.

3. I do not like seeing businesses leaving the U.S., going abroad, and awarding American jobs to foreigners, expecially not GE, which did not pay any taxes last year, nor GM largely moving operations to China after accepting large scale bailouts from American taxpayers.

4. However, if I were to relocate overseas and expatriate (something I am not going to do), I would be expected to pay an expatriation tax. Since corporations are now considered people, why should they not be held to the same standard as me and you?

That's my point.
  • Reichstolz Walt 2012/07/18 14:13:17
    Reichstolz
    1. Good
    2. You are wrong, I as myself, have been incorporated since I was 28. I am a person and I am a corporation.
    3. Why is any job an "American" job. When you have corporations beholden to government influence, that means government is too big.
    4. Why would you expect to pay an expatriate tax? Why should you be taxed to exercise your right to leave? We are soveriegn individuals, free to leave, there should be no expected punishment for renouncing your citizenship.
  • Walt Reichstolz 2012/07/18 17:05:42
    Walt
    +1
    LLC's and corporations are not the same thing.

I do not agree with the expatriation tax, but the law is the law. I do agree we should be free to come and go at-will, but apparently that is not the case.

What I am suggesting is that if corporations (I'm not referring to LLC's) are actually people, then they have to obey the same laws everyone else obeys.
  • Reichstolz Walt 2012/07/18 23:01:55 (edited)
    Reichstolz
    +1
    I am a sub chapter S corporation not a LLC.
  • Walt Reichstolz 2012/07/18 06:59:58
    Walt
    +4
    And actually, what you're saying about not paying taxes on money earned abroad after 12 months is no longer valid. That has been changed.

2014/10/22 00:07:04