Should Blacks Get Over Slavery?

lawrencecalloway 2012/02/13 10:58:22
QUOTE: "When you hear whites say: 'get over it,' 'slavery was a long time ago,' 'my family didn't own slaves, 'the Jews owned the slave ships,' 'your own kind sold you into slavery,' and other sentiments like these, know these are the most common excuses these devils will use in attempts to not accept responsibiltity for and make restitution for their kind's generational race crimes. Know today that these are unacceptable racist statements reparations offenders use in support of their kind's historical racial terrorism. Whites who make statements like these are just as racially terroristic as the whites who dehumanized and terrorized our ancestors during the slave trade and even in this - the post Trans Atlantic slave trade era. Most often, these are the kinds of whites you will have to defend yourself against in a repartions protest."

QUESTION:
Is saying blacks should get over slavery and denying reparations racist?

Read More: http://current.com/1nvokkc

• Burning Bright Embers 2012/02/13 14:49:02
    Burning Bright Embers
    +10
    People seem to think Jews should get over the holocaust and the slavery they endured in Egypt, under Nebecunezzer and others
    Yes, get over it, but don't forget. Don't let it happen again.

• Kellie 2014/08/22 01:17:35
    Kellie
    No, and neither should white people. Racism isn't really about black people being black anymore, it's about them being poor. There is a belief in the USA that a wealthy man who steals and cheats is smart, but a poor man who steals and cheats is a criminal.

We are all responsible for the selfish, superficial culture that we have participated in, for the injustices that we have overlooked and the lies we have believed. It's time to grow up and pay attention. Our economy is like a game of Monopoly. Only those who come from a privileged family can even enter the game, while the rest struggle to survive from month to month.

Should black people get over slavery? I think they should be mad as hell about it and so should white people, because it's still a viable means of labor in the USA today. When you only make enough money to keep a roof over your head and pay for your necessities, you are a slave. Look up what Professor Richard Wolff has to say about our economy.
  • Timetraveler 2014/08/20 15:02:28
    Timetraveler
    get beyond it would be a better statement, as long as you live as the victim you'll always be the victim. forgive your enemies, just never forget their names. we Indian's will never forget. But we never cry about our massacre either.
  • Stevei Sims 2013/09/08 18:05:17
    Stevei Sims
    No, Whites just get tired of constant guilt being thrown at them. When we say it wasn't our generation or relatives that had slaves, it's true. We are being asked to feel guilty about something we never did. We are held responsible just because our skin us the same color. It doesn't matter if we are not racist. You are doing to us what cops do to Black people, assuming because of our skin color we are guilty. Yes, we do ponder why you can't move on, there has been slavery forever, the Irish were slaves. Women couldn't vote, we were thought of as property, we were harassed in the workplace, but we fought for our rights and didn't hang on to feeling victimized. Do the Irish deserve reparations as well? We are not making excuses for something terrible, we just are exhausted from being told constantly about what people did hundreds of years ago.
  • sick'n'tired PWCM 2013/08/14 23:33:34
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    Move on. Now it is used as an excuse for everything, aided and promoted by media and government.
  • blindfaith. 2013/08/12 20:52:08
    blindfaith.
    +2
    They captured enough slaves from Europe and shipped them into N Africa 200 years ago, get over it !!! white gold  slaves
  • Gracie ~Gun Totin' Gracie~ 2013/08/12 20:35:38
    Gracie ~Gun Totin' Gracie~
    +4
    Yes ,,,,move on.
  • Rick 2013/08/12 20:17:40
    Rick
    +5
    Yes. They only hurt themselves. It gives them an excuse to fail. I've heard the so-called theory that the Jews are the ones responsible. That's BS. How many black people do you know with the last name Cohen or Horowitz? People need to use common sense.
  • Flowers 2013/08/12 19:40:36
    Flowers
    +1
    I don't think people should use it as an excuse to be angry though. Blaming living people (whites) for the actions of those that were alive at that time is counterproductive.
  • Chris 2013/08/12 16:56:02 (edited)
    Chris
    +3
    Just as Jews shouldn't "get over" the Holocaust. It's good to support museums like this one http://lwfsm.com to ensure the past is never forgotten.

And it's also important to recognize the civil rights issues that black people still face today.
  • BeBeMonro 2013/08/04 02:57:07
    BeBeMonro
    Slavery ended officially less than 150 years ago. After that white people lynched, raped and murdered blacks at will. It is racist to say get over it. The better question is when are white people going to take responsibility? When will you look in the mirror and realize that you are entitled simply because you are white? I don't understand you people who are saying it's not racist. It is racist.
  • Allbiz ... BeBeMonro 2013/08/12 13:33:28
    Allbiz - PWCM - JLA
    +2
    What about the blacks who started slavery centuries ago and have kept going even into today?
    Do they not deserve any of the blame?
  • BeBeMonro Allbiz ... 2013/08/13 22:26:59
    BeBeMonro
    The African concept of slavery (which i suspect you already know) was completely different from the European concept of slavery and was most closely related to what you define with indentured servitude. Those "slaves" could marry out of slavery, own their own livestock and were members of their ruling families household. Additionally their servitude would be over after a number of years. If you beat a slave you would have to pay him, to severely he may be freed. If you killed a slave you were punished, up to death, if the killing was a murder. Very similar to the hebrew concept of slavery pre-Egypt. When Africans "sold" or traded opposing tribes (this may shock you to learn that all blacks are not from the same country, as Africa is a continent) they did so with the belief that what they knew as slavery would be continued with those people sold. They didn't know that their children would be raped in front and with their mothers. They didn't know the men would be castrated and that this was the beginning of a systematic rape of their land. Their concept of slavery was not the European concept. This is thoroughly documented. Nice try though.
  • Allbiz ... BeBeMonro 2013/08/14 13:31:11
    Allbiz - PWCM - JLA
    +1
    You suspect wrong. There were several forms of slavery in Africa. You guessed at the wrong one to try to make yourself look righteous.
  • BeBeMonro Allbiz ... 2013/08/14 21:48:53
    BeBeMonro
    I did not guess at anything. This is documented. Pre-European slavery was indeed indentured servitude.
  • Flowers BeBeMonro 2013/08/12 19:41:39
    Flowers
    +3
    White people have taken responsibility. It's wrong for you to assume we haven't.
  • BeBeMonro Flowers 2013/08/13 22:35:29
    BeBeMonro
    Really? What have you done? Was that during reconstruction when white people murdered. raped and lynched at unprecedented rates? Was it when black owned business and lands owned by free people were seized? Or was it during Jim Crow when people accepted "Birth of a Nation" as true history? Was it before or after the race riots and Black Wall Street burning? Perhaps it was during the 50-60s when there was a lynching in Mississippi everyday? Did it happen before or after Rosewood? When did you take responsibility? What have you done? Was it the creation of programs that admittedly targeted blacks for higher incarceration rates? Perhaps it was during Regan and Contra? Maybe it's today where you teach American children that blacks never contributed to anything in modern history and have no history or accomplishments before slavery? Even though there is conclusive proof, historical documents, accounts and monuments that prove that Africans begin trading with South American Natives 200 years before Christopher Columbus showed up? When have you taken responsibility?

America was made a SUPERPOWER because of slavery and the policies that this country put into place afterwards. When did white people take responsibility? Where os the equal standing? Where is the admission of guilt?

It's not existent you blame the victim.
  • Flowers BeBeMonro 2013/08/14 13:07:16 (edited)
    Flowers
    +2
    You are extremely bitter about events that I neither participated in, nor was even alive for.
    I am sorry that you are so angry that you can't put those past events aside and live for a new day, and work towards making TODAY and everyday after it better for yourself, and people of all colors around you. While all those events happened, there were MANY, MANY people of all colors supporting the civil rights efforts and the fact that you completely ignore their sacrifice to help complete strangers is frankly offensive to me.
    I also find it offensive that you say "you" in this unfounded and baseless statement: "you teach American children that blacks never contributed to anything in modern history and have no history or accomplishments before slavery?" I'm not a teacher, I don't have any say in what curriculum gets taught in schools around the country so for you to blanket me into whomever might be doing this is wrong and racist. Not all white people are the same, just because I'm white doesn't mean I had anything to do with what you are claiming.

Furthermore, I would like some proof of what you are saying because I was NOT taught that in TX or FL and I have not heard anyone say that was what they were taught. Did the schools skim over some of the accomplishments? Of course, but th...

Furthermore, I would like some proof of what you are saying because I was NOT taught that in TX or FL and I have not heard anyone say that was what they were taught. Did the schools skim over some of the accomplishments? Of course, but they did the same for all the other races including whites. There is no way they can touch on every single person that made amazing discoveries or invented life changing products. There isn't enough time, there isn't enough money to do so.

"America was made a SUPERPOWER because of slavery " THE SAME CAN BE SAID FOR EVERY OTHER CIVILIZATION IN THIS WORLD THROUGHOUT TIME. AMERICA IS NOT UNIQUE IN IT'S EXPLOITATION OF SLAVES. Egypt, Rome, China, AFRICA, S. America, I could go on and on and on. Please, do not insult me or anyone else by pretending like the horrible treatment of people by selfish slave handlers was unique in some way.

Plenty of examples in history prove you wrong, calling me names or insulting me doesn't change the facts.
  • Allbiz ... Flowers 2013/08/14 13:33:47
  • Flowers Allbiz ... 2013/08/14 13:43:23
    Flowers
    +1
    Thank you. I can't believe people still ignore all the efforts of so many to help black people gain their rights. EVERYONE at some point in history has been oppressed and treated badly by another race. NO race on this planet is excluded from this because human nature is selfish and SOME think they are better than others. That doesn't excuse her attitude or the attitude of others who continue to hold such hatred for events that took place in the past.
  • Allbiz ... Flowers 2013/08/14 14:05:42
    Allbiz - PWCM - JLA
    +1
    It was well stated and factual. You deserve some respect for your thoughts.
  • Flowers Allbiz ... 2013/08/14 14:09:22 (edited)
    Flowers
    +1
    curtsy

Thank you :)
  • BeBeMonro Flowers 2013/08/14 22:36:09
    BeBeMonro
    I did not specifically call you anything. I don't know you. I'm not bitter. Never once called you a name. It's amazing how people label others bitter and angry when they read something they don't like. I presented a list of historical events...if anything it was sarcastic. #Moot

You said: "White people have taken responsibility. It's wrong for you to assume WE haven't."

If you use "we" I have to use "you" in responding. BECAUSE YOU MADE YOURSELF A PART OF A GROUP. Therefore I had to respond to you as a group. Can't respond in the third person if it was never introduced. How can you even complain about what YOU said? #Moot

What do you need proof of? I have no problem with posting proof for everything I said. There is no way to put it aside because it is still happening. You can say that because you have not been oppressed. Slavery has existed for centuries in many, many forms. What only happened here in America was the passing of laws to restrict any possible mobility of those who were freed for generations. "Scientific" studies that were drilled into the minds of slaves and white people alike that de-humanized and oppressed. American slavery sought to permanently create an underclass of "non-human" laborers. In what other constitution are people described as 3/5ths of a human? D...

What do you need proof of? I have no problem with posting proof for everything I said. There is no way to put it aside because it is still happening. You can say that because you have not been oppressed. Slavery has existed for centuries in many, many forms. What only happened here in America was the passing of laws to restrict any possible mobility of those who were freed for generations. "Scientific" studies that were drilled into the minds of slaves and white people alike that de-humanized and oppressed. American slavery sought to permanently create an underclass of "non-human" laborers. In what other constitution are people described as 3/5ths of a human? Do you deny this? Is this what you need proof of?

"Slavery in America was different from any other corner of the world primarily because in America it was viewed early on as the primary foundation upon which an emerging republic could solidify its economic primacy in the global commerce of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Two hundred and twenty-eight years of free labor will assure business success anywhere in the cosmos...contentious race relations in America that persist to this day. False sciences and religious zealotry were the primary fervent justifications for how black slaves were treated and for the terror and brutality that flourished well into the twentieth century, decades after slavery was legally ended." University of DAYTON http://academic.udayton.edu/r... NOWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD HAVE SLAVES BEEN FREED AND THEN SYSTEMATICALLY DEHUMANIZED AND USED/KILLED AT WILL FOR GENERATIONS. LAWS AND CUSTOMS PUT IN PLACE AGAINST ONE RACE OF PEOPLE FOR GENERATIONS.

AMERICA IS UNIQUE IN ITS EXPLOITATION OF SLAVES AND THEIR DEPENDENTS.

None of the countries or regions that you mentioned are SUPERPOWERS. Your point there also is moot.

Lastly, what accomplishments were you taught, or better ask your kids what they've been taught of blacks pre-slavery? The answer is nothing.

If the schools don't teach your children the history of blacks pre-slavery how would black kids learn it in school? They go to the same schools. Schools don't skim over black accomplishments in history, they omit them in this country. You said "we" have taken responsibility...ok then "you (member of the we)" are responsible for the curriculum in the school. You cannot name one thing that you were taught about blacks pre-slavery. How do you think this affects black children? When schools teach that Christopher Columbus discovered America and that the "Pilgrims" were "settlers" they make kids identify with the conquerors and not the victims. Think about that? Right you never gave it any thought, to busy looking for a new day that doesn't exist.
  • blindfa... BeBeMonro 2013/08/12 20:54:04
    blindfaith.
    Read my reply above, you aint the only ones, get over it.
  • BeBeMonro blindfa... 2013/08/13 22:50:20
  • Allbiz ... BeBeMonro 2013/08/14 13:37:15
    Allbiz - PWCM - JLA
    Just wondering............how long were you held in slavery? And just what physical, mental, and emotional hardships did you suffer as a result of your captivity.
  • BeBeMonro Allbiz ... 2013/08/14 22:40:15
    BeBeMonro
    Are you saying that the effects of slavery have not spanned modern history and are not effecting my generation? Just wondering how your comment is relevant. Blacks should not get over slavery because it is impossible to get over something that has lasting effects and continuously reinfects. Nothing was ever done to fix what happened. You cannot heal if the wounds are untreated.
  • Allbiz ... BeBeMonro 2013/08/15 01:31:21
  • HOMBRE BeBeMonro 2013/08/14 14:09:25 (edited)
    HOMBRE
    The Dems were very Ruthless seeing their plantation disappear. Today The Dems still have a modern day plantation.I would hope people smarten up to see it.

• BeBeMonro HOMBRE 2013/08/14 22:41:07
    BeBeMonro
    What does the democratic party have to do with this? How is this relevant? Additionally, why are you assuming I am a Democrat?
  • HOMBRE BeBeMonro 2013/08/14 22:46:23
    HOMBRE
    Im not the man is explaining the problems with our generation
  • BeBeMonro HOMBRE 2013/08/14 23:33:53
    BeBeMonro
    I seriously do not understand what you are commenting on. Could you like put a part of it in your next reply? I'm not explaining problems of the generation, I am answering questions. You have to look at the top for the main question and then read through the posts.
  • HOMBRE BeBeMonro 2013/08/15 01:03:38
    HOMBRE
    sorry
  • ardenabest 2013/04/26 22:31:22 (edited)
  • I NEED A HORSE 2013/01/16 11:57:29
  • ZeldaFan13 2013/01/16 09:33:02
    ZeldaFan13
    When will conservatives get over Same Sex Marriage? And the fact that this is the 21st Century?
  • johnc 2012/04/15 20:34:46
    johnc
    +1
    Slavery in the Americas began with Spanish sugar plantation owners buying blacks from the Arabs in tripoli, Those Arab slave traders were muslim, don't convert you go into slavery. Yet we have black muslims, seems like they got over that.
  • BeBeMonro johnc 2013/08/04 18:10:29
    BeBeMonro
    Slavery in The Americas began with Christopher Columbus and the Arawak. He shipped 5000 back to Spain among other things he did with and to them. It started with the natives after Europeans invaded the Americas and surrounding Islands.
  • johnc BeBeMonro 2013/08/04 19:02:21
    johnc
    +1
    the topic, on this , is blacks, find one that deals with native Americans let me know where and we will discuss that.
  • BeBeMonro johnc 2013/08/12 11:38:30
    BeBeMonro
    1. I was correcting your statement. Slavery in the Americas began with the Arawak before Spanish sugar plantations even began. 2. The Native Americans, like American Blacks have not been able to "get over it because there were laws and even generally accepted American customs that prevented it. They present a more accurate parallel of oppression in this country to Blacks, and Blacks to them than any other group. Arab slaves traders and slaves do not present the same, especially not here. You can not compare apples to oranges.
  • johnc BeBeMonro 2013/08/12 13:21:32
    johnc
    +1
    so you are writing of the Spanish conquest of the Americas. the Mexican silver mines. then the Spanish Missions. correct? And the Native American Indians. were not as productive or easy to enslave then blacks provided by Arabs?

2014/10/24 15:30:51