Should Banks be Charging Customers for Using Their Debit Cards?

ABCnews.com 2011/09/30 01:50:59
Related Topics: Bank, Debit Card, Banks, Debit

• #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2011/09/30 07:15:03
    No, because customers should not have to pay to use the service.
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +6
    I am so glad I closed my accounts in regular banks (Chase & Bank of America). I only have a credit union account & I love the customer service. I am NOT nickeled & dimed to death & don't have to worry about them gambling like the robber barons do.

America better wake up & smell the coffee. These big banks don't give a hoot about anybody. Take their power away & put your money where it will be safe--credit unions.

• Ben Richards 2014/05/13 04:56:04
    Ben Richards
    +1
    Banks are already making money off people who keep their money in the banks. Banks loan your money out and charge interest. Rarely do they pay you interest on a debit account.
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2014/05/13 04:48:17
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    I'll quit using it if they do.
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2011/10/01 04:44:24
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +1
    I don't use banks anymore
  • carolynb 2011/09/30 23:12:46
    carolynb
    +1
    We bail them out, and they rip us off. Its the American way!!
  • Out 'a here 2011/09/30 21:16:09
    Yes, because banks need to find a way to pay their operating costs.
    Out 'a here
    +1
    And the new policy is probably resulting from the Obama-initiated credit card policies that prevents penalties for those who were irresponsible in their credit card usage.

Now, everyone has to "chip" in, responsible or not.
  • Anariashki 2011/09/30 20:47:34
    Anariashki
    +1
    If they do that, I'm not using it. I'll carry cash. Basic market principle: convenience is only worth so much.
  • Fisher 2011/09/30 20:32:55
    Fisher
    I checked "Yes" is because we are already paying service charges of debit card usage here in Canada. But I do agreed that there should not be any charges to the regular customers because they are "electronic" transactions...and if there are any operational costs, it should be very minimal
  • Piper 2011/09/30 19:54:13
    Piper
    The businesses get charged for the bank services; they are going to get less, so instead of cutting the million dollar profits of the CEO's, they will make up for their loss of revenue by charging their customers additional fees. They may find that this backfires on them. One can hope.
  • G.R.I.T.S. 2011/09/30 19:50:29
    G.R.I.T.S.
    Stick up artists. "Banksters"; well deserved epitaph. Banking these days is not a business; it's a racket.
  • luvguins 2011/09/30 19:27:05
    luvguins
    +2
    Just revenge and backlash on their part because the Dodd-Frank bill slapped their big bank greedy hands. Bank of America, and Wells Fargo already in and more bigs to follow. They are still making a profit and are just ticked off that it isn't as fat. Use a hometown bank or credit union and tell them where to stick it.
    +1
    no not good customer relation
  • Gloria 2011/09/30 19:00:12
    Gloria
    +1
    No. I bank at Bob's Bank in a Trailer, a small community bank where the bank if grateful to have depositors.
  • xcheshirecat 2011/09/30 18:43:43
    xcheshirecat
    Well, every card in Quebec, you have to pay, as far as I know

So, I put money on my credit card, and pay with it, which is free
  • SocratesIII 2011/09/30 18:37:24
    SocratesIII
    +1
    Yeah, they miss those automatic overcharge fees for penny over your account balance alot. Here's the link to my Common Sense Post...Please vote on it and my unemployment Post as well. Thanks in advance.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:-Knowing when to come in out of the rain; - Why the early bird gets the worm;- Life isn't always fair; - And maybe it was my fault. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies, don't spend more than you can earn and adults, not children, are in charge. His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition. Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get pa...

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:-Knowing when to come in out of the rain; - Why the early bird gets the worm;- Life isn't always fair; - And maybe it was my fault. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies, don't spend more than you can earn and adults, not children, are in charge. His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition. Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion. Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault. Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement. Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife Discretion, his daughter Responsibility, and his son, Reason. He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers; I Know My Rights,I Want It Now,Someone Else Is To Blame,I'm A Victim.Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, do nothing. Thank you
  • Gray Pilgrim 2011/09/30 18:13:31
    Gray Pilgrim
    It is their business,,, Stop using the card go in the bank and use the teller... Great way to create more jobs!!!!!!
  • danielle Gray Pi... 2011/09/30 20:00:13
    danielle
    I wonder if they'll start charging a "teller" fee. Not sure it creates more jobs without creating more overhead that will need to be paid.
  • Gray Pi... danielle 2011/09/30 20:07:47
    Gray Pilgrim
    The cards were originally introduced to replace tellers.
    This is why most branches have so many windows with no teller now.
    the next thing will be to charge you for using direct deposit.
    maybe i am going to need a bigger matress ....
  • allan danielle 2011/11/20 22:44:05
    allan
    +3
    I'm sure they will
  • 2226693 Gray Pi... 2011/10/01 01:28:33
  • allan Gray Pi... 2011/11/20 22:43:16
    allan
    +2
    i travel a lot and many places i go do not have my bank.
  • Gray Pi... allan 2011/11/23 00:54:43
    Gray Pilgrim
    That is what credit cards are for, and if you pay it off before the billing cycle you pay no interest or fees think a little and beat the bank at its own game.
  • JQHiggins 2011/09/30 18:08:13
    JQHiggins
    +4
    I will leave Bank of America and join a credit union.
  • Gray Pi... JQHiggins 2011/09/30 20:10:40
    Gray Pilgrim
    you are alredy paying for the service with lower interest on your savings an more fees and interest on the loans if yoou can get one
    and all the while they are playing the market with your money
  • twhiting9275 2011/09/30 17:46:49
    twhiting9275
    Is it on THEIR network? Then absolutely not.
    Is it on someone ELSE'S network? Then YES, absolutely
  • Gray Pi... twhitin... 2011/09/30 18:14:23
    Gray Pilgrim
    +1
    Stop using the card go in the bank and use the teller... Great way to create more jobs!!!!!!
  • 2226693 Gray Pi... 2011/10/01 01:31:50
  • wpsark 2011/09/30 17:30:23
    wpsark
    Thank the fed gov't for that one. Everything is passed on to the consumer. Just wait until your utilities sky rocket and you have an $800 + avg electric bill each month. Think you can just switch electric companies then? I will continue to have an account w/ BofA while I also have an account with a home town bank..
  • lawlerskates 2011/09/30 16:11:08
    lawlerskates
    +5
    Yea, I'm switching from Bank of America right now. I'm tired of their bull, I know someone who works as a manager there- he tells me not to bank with BofA. I only do it because it's convenient (deposit at the ATM) but now that they want to charge this $5 fee every month, I'm switching to the old fashioned cash/checks. I don't understand how a bank can justify charging me to use MY money. I also don't get how a bank can justify charging me to use an ATM other than their own- to the tune of 2-4 bucks. That's just crazy to me and I will not allow these sleaseballs to take my hard earned money. I have no problem changing my daily practice in order to hinder big banks. Watch, NOBODY is going to use their debit cards once this fee comes out. The big banks are going to get screwed in the long run because the consumer is what runs them! That's a big fact those banks tend to forget. The people will tell them when the time comes- I guess they gots to learn the hard way. I can't wait for it to all transpire, it will be glorious!
  • wtxwoman lawlers... 2011/09/30 21:36:39
    wtxwoman
    Use smaller locally owned banks. They are grateful for the business and have bigger perks for their depositors. I have one small flat fee per month, no check charges or anything else. If anything odd goes on with my account they call me and ask about the transaction. Someone stole my account # once and charged over $700 on it and they gave it all back within two days.
  • lawlers... wtxwoman 2012/03/02 16:41:49
    lawlerskates
    +1
    Yea, I only wish. Most of the small banks in my town are closing now and being replaced with FDIC!!! Hooray (not). We just lost a good one too- it was my husband's account and now he's having to deal with so much crap. BofA just sent me a notice saying they're gonna charge me $9 a month for my account- PLEASE not before I close that sucker!! I have a feeling they're stealing my money penny by penny.....I keep track of my own stuff now because of it.
  • wtxwoman lawlers... 2012/03/02 16:46:57
    wtxwoman
    +1
    It's not like you can do without an account, either. Social Security sent out a letter this year saying there will be no more paper checks. If you don't have an account, they will issue you a credit card. They already do that for Welfare checks, food stamps and child support payments.
  • Headhunter 13 2011/09/30 13:37:55 (edited)
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    And I am closing my Bank America accounts both corporate and personal. As is my SOP and my daughter. They earn money of us in so many ways already that this is ridiculous, charging to have use of your money. This is a ploy to charge double. They charge a vender for accepting the card, that fee was capped so they are passing it on to customers, then they are charging us for the same transactions
  • SaltySodahead7 2011/09/30 12:33:59
    SaltySodahead7
  • Jimbo 2011/09/30 12:00:19 (edited)
    Jimbo
    +4
    We use cash they get nothing, we use debit cards they take their cut from vendors. A bad case of greed lets these leeches take more from their customers. They won't give you the car loan at 6% but will let you use the credit card at over 15%.
  • Swt~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/09/30 11:42:16
    Swt~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    This just pisses me off to no end.. Who in the hell do they think they are??
  • mike j 2011/09/30 11:38:07
    mike j
    +1
    Here is where the Federal Government met Private Business (Banks) and the Federal Government made rules for the Banks and the Banks passed on the added expense to the customer. But there are some Banks that will compete for a customers business, I would suggest that customers start looking for a more competitive bank to have their cards with.
    +3
    No. If I use my card at my bank, they never charge me!
  • missygirl408 2011/09/30 09:03:24
    missygirl408
    +4
    the banks have enough allready
  • (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<) 2011/09/30 08:18:29
    (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<)
    +3
    I got sick of banks and went to a credit union and opened a savings account. It was quick and easy only took like 15 minutes. After dealing with banks like Regions and Chase we are very happy. My husband's check is direct deposited and we don't have any problems. We use a Green Dot card for making debited purchases and it is so much better. Got so sick of banks and their fees and hassle. Especially Regions, OMG we were in there every 2 weeks with a problem. Will never go to a regular bank again.
  • lawlers... (>*~*)>... 2011/09/30 16:18:10
    lawlerskates
    +1
    A green dot card isn't much better....just looked up the fees- $5.95 per month and the only way you can exempt is if you load over 1000 bucks on it or make 30 "qualifying purchases." Sounds like a typical prepaid card....same fees. Can only use at a certain atm or pay a fee....I don't see how it's any better than an atm card.

2014/10/24 08:45:03