Should Arizona continue asking voters for proof of citizenship?

L.A. Times 2013/06/17 22:34:21
Arizona officials said they will continue to use state voter registration forms that require a prospective voter to prove citizenship, despite a Supreme Court ruling that struck down the requirement on federal forms.

Hours after voting rights advocates were hailing Monday’s Supreme Court decision, officials indicated that Arizona will take advantage of a provision in the ruling allowing the state to seek to continue requiring the added documentation while it appeals to a federal agency. In effect, the Supreme Court’s ruling, which was viewed as a step forward in national voter registration law, could have a less of an immediate impact within the state.

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na...

• Katfish 2013/11/13 03:11:42
    Katfish
    Every state should only register citizens as voters. This should be proven during the registration process, only proper idetification needed at the poll booth.
  • Tordgaard 2013/07/11 11:16:56
    Tordgaard
    +1
    If the naysayers have a better solution, then make it known. Meanwhile, it would seem to be common sense that, if any state is having a problem with illegals voting, they should be allowed to remedy that problem.
  • Anita Gerulis 2013/07/09 04:01:03
    Anita Gerulis
    +2
    We need ID for everything else in the world. Why shouldn't we need ID to vote?
  • bill 2013/06/28 01:37:05
    bill
    +1
    Every state should!
  • Boris D. 2013/06/27 21:23:02
    Boris D.
    +1
    I think it is more racist to insinuate that minorities would not be able to produce a photo ID, than to require a photo ID to vote. Why do liberals seem to think that a certain group of Americans would not have some kind of legal ID? No one is denying them that right.
    You should be able to prove who you are before you can vote, otherwise fraud is inevitable.
  • keith_loney 2013/06/27 02:47:38
    keith_loney
    Prevent electoral fraud. Verify the voters ID. Confirm the voter is a citizen.
    Electoral fraud only occurs where a voters status isn't verified.
  • joe 2013/06/26 19:14:15
    joe
    +1
    Yeah they should!!! Libs are ruining America
  • Ramón 2013/06/26 18:30:00
    Ramón
    +1
    Type "proof of identity" in Google and then click on the State links... those guys want a lot of stuff to prove you are who you are for benefits, etc... Why should voting be different? Voting is a right of citizenship, prove you are a citizen, then vote.
  • Sunny 2013/06/24 18:53:55
    Sunny
    Maybe Arizona should secede with Texas?
  • joe Sunny 2013/06/26 19:14:51
    joe
    +2
    Maybe you should crawl back under your rock
  • Sunny joe 2013/06/27 14:34:43
    Sunny
    Nah... Sorry... I love being on the leading edge. ....the new options... the new ideas... the ever evolving joy of life.
  • waterlady 2013/06/24 15:26:02
    waterlady
    This should not be happening in this nation. Citizenship should be required to vote in every state. Americans can't vote in other nations. Can you imagin if every foreign visitor went to the voting stations, durring our elections, and changed the outcome of the vote. Will the non citizens be able to put something on the ballot next? Think of all those rich oil tycoons.
  • luigi1- in god we trust 2013/06/24 12:24:06 (edited)
    luigi1- in god we trust
    +1
    Every voter should render two IDs before the vote in every state.

The US is the only nation on earth that dont require proof to vote. This is insane. No wonder the republic is in the shape it is in.

I have been called a racist for sugesting the above because many Blacks dont have a ID card. My answer to that, get off of your lazy *** and get one. Not rocket science here, folks.
  • Coconut Joe 2013/06/24 07:32:19
    Coconut Joe
    Why is this even a question? Of course ID should have to be shown to register and vote. It amazes me that people think non- US citizens should be allowed to vote. If we're going to allow mexicans to vote why not allow other countries' Citizens to vote also? Oh that's right, because we don't have a One world government .
    +1
    Before the illegals try to use their Mexican "Matriculas Consulares" as ID's to vote in AZ!
  • cjj ~ FTGOP 2013/06/24 04:08:15 (edited)
    cjj ~ FTGOP
    Let's talk about MY tax dollars being spent on AZ consistently bringing this BS to court. Could have paid for some transplants, I know that!
  • joe cjj ~ F... 2013/06/26 19:16:07
    joe
    +1
    Your tax dollars are being spent on welfare for the lazy
  • cjj ~ F... joe 2013/06/26 19:30:25 (edited)
    cjj ~ FTGOP
    Welfare is at the bottom of expenditures in our state.

http://www.usgovernmentspendi...
  • SonSpea... cjj ~ F... 2013/08/12 22:00:53
    SonSpeaker AaL CCLA-ZWC
    That's ridiculous! The Federal government is the one sued Arizona, not the other way around! You should be pointing at your Benevolent Leader instead of your state, wherever that is. Besides, when has anyone been able to decide how their tax dollars are being spent?
  • Cyan 2013/06/24 04:04:14
    Cyan
    +1
    I have been a registered voter for over 40 yrs. I never had to show ID to register, just a BC. Now in CA to "renew" my registration if I did not vote in the last national election, I have to show a utility bill to prove I still reside in that precinct. When I lasted voted, I noted, just on one page, dozens of hispanic names and addresses that did not exist on that street, as I knew the neighbors and knew the address number protocol, as I lived on the street. An election was stolen that time and an unqualified inexperienced hispanic dem congressperson was elected in a mostly repub district. I would like to prevent illegals from voting and registering. DL are easy for illegals to obtain even with everify. AZ is my home state and may soon be my voting residence. Whatever they need to do to keep the illegals from voting, I am in favor of. But what to do about absentee ballots? No id there.....
  • KB 2013/06/24 01:25:44
  • Proggy 2013/06/23 17:43:24
    Proggy
    +1
    Because I'd love to see their ignorant asses sued into the poorhouse. When the state can't afford a stop sign or traffic light then maybe they'll have some goddamn sense.
  • Bali Proggy 2013/06/23 18:54:09
    Bali
    doing what is legal IS sense, numbnuts.
  • Proggy Bali 2013/06/23 19:38:34
    Proggy
    According to the constitution that the Supreme Court struck it down on says it ins't legal, f*cktard.
  • JeffDeWitt Proggy 2013/06/23 20:51:22
    JeffDeWitt
    +1
    Actually that's NOT what the court said, they said the state cannot require proof of citizenship using the federal forms. That has nothing to do with requiring proof of citizenship with STATE forms.
  • drdos1943 Proggy 2013/06/23 23:57:18
    drdos1943
    It's still legal during an appeal ... and there has been an appeal. The court's ruling cannot take effect unless the appeal is settled in the court's favor.
  • Bali Proggy 2013/06/24 11:41:03
    Bali
    +1
    di**wad, your logic again is backwards......do you present id to renew your drivers license, or to get a new one? what are you liberals afraid of with requiring id at the voting booth?
  • Proggy Bali 2013/06/24 15:12:16
    Proggy
    Hey as$wipe, show me in the constitution where driving is a RIGHT! You're so f*cking retarded you don't know a "privilege" from a "right".
  • Bali Proggy 2013/06/25 11:34:40
    Bali
    still scared to show id at the booth heh???? sad
  • Proggy Bali 2013/06/25 16:08:04
    Proggy
    I'm not "scared" of anything.
  • Bali Proggy 2013/06/25 22:34:58
    Bali
    yeah..
  • joe Proggy 2013/06/26 19:19:19
    joe
    I think you are
  • Proggy joe 2013/06/27 00:38:33
    Proggy
    Oh yeah?!?

• sheratan 2013/06/23 11:06:30
    sheratan
    +1
    In Cooper v. Aaron, 358 U.S. 1 (1958), the Supreme Court held that:

The states are bound by the Court's decisions, and cannot choose to ignore them.

The United States Constitution is the supreme law of the land per the Supremacy Clause of Article VI. In Marbury v. Madison, the federal judiciary was declared the supreme authority with respect to Constitutional interpretation.

Marbury v. Madison has been respected by the Court and the nation as a permanent and indispensable component of the American constitutional system of government.

The Court noted that its interpretation of the Fourteenth Amendment was the supreme law of the land and that it had a "binding effect" on the states.

By refusing to conform to the Supreme Court’s interpretation of the Constitution and precedent, state government officials violate their oath to support the Constitution. To rule otherwise would make the Constitution a solemn mockery.
  • gunner sheratan 2013/06/23 13:24:18
    gunner
    +4
    The current administration has made the Constitution a mockery. Besides, each President who gets the chance to replace a SP judge, trys to stack the court in his parties adgenda interests. While I do agree with you in essence. I contend that when the SP is in error, what redress is there? If the administration will not enforce our laws, I think we do have a right to secure our borders. So, on that, the state has certainly been abiding by the Constitution.
  • Proggy gunner 2013/06/23 17:44:57
    Proggy
    +1
    Hahahaha! You're an idiot.
  • gunner Proggy 2013/06/24 03:06:19
    gunner
    Hey there, I`m in total denial of just about everything. Since you live in a border state, how does Tex. treat illegals? Call Obama? He`ll just put them on social security, give them free everything. If the Administration will not enforce our laws who is left ? Certainly not you.
  • Proggy gunner 2013/06/24 03:56:39
    Proggy
    +1
    Thanks to CONSERVATIVE business owners "the illegals" as you call them, they're all employed making a whopping $1.50/hr untaxed under the table. That's what's so funny about conservative hypocrites you can always catch them talking out of both sides of their repulsive faces. One side of their ugly mugs are protesting with the teabaggers and Bubba to get rid of them, while right before the rally, they just sent one of their stooges to hire a few dozen Mexican day workers. Trust me, conservatives don't want immigration reform, the status quo is just fine with them.
  • gunner Proggy 2013/06/24 22:56:58
    gunner
    I agree with you. Thats why I don`t subscibe to the tea party or any conservative or liberal group, or any political group or non-political group either. However, if I owned land on the border, I`d protect and defend it. If my Government wouldn`t, I`d do my best with out them. You forgot our beloved liberals who have also been caught employing illegals. Wasn`t Pelosi one of them?
  • Proggy gunner 2013/06/25 01:33:56
    Proggy
    +1
    I've never heard anything of her doing so, but even if she did she's not the one mobbing them with pitchforks and torches on one hand, and then on the other employing them. She trying to find a way for them to legally attain work and do what everyone else in this country does, live some decent quality of life, pay their bills, and take care of their families.

By the way, during the Republican primary debates Rick Perry accused Mitt Romney of doing so. I actually thought they were about to box, because Rick seriously looked as if he wanted to throw a punch at Romney.

2014/04/23 13:32:00