Should all public schools have an American flag flying out front?

This Much 2008/12/18 01:37:59
Yes, of course
No, What for they are expensive
Here is what I think
Drudge: Minnesota Public School Teaches Islam - No American Flag Flying Outside Quick, call the ACLU, because, you know, they are very concerned about the separation of church and state.

From ABC News, via Drudge:

A Star Tribune newspaper column has prompted a state investigation into a charter school. A substitute teacher said a school in Inver Grove Heights is blurring the line of separation of church and state.

Being a charter school Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy, or TIZA, is supported by tax dollars. The teacher told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS the presence of religion she observed at the school took her by surprise.

TIZA Executive Director Azad Zaman insisted the school follows with state and federal laws.

"TIZA does not endorse any religion," he said.

However, TIZA Academy is sponsored by Islamic Relief USA, based in California.

The questions came after substitute teacher Amanda Getz taught at TIZA last month and told the Star Tribune about things she observed that day that shocked her.

"I've been in a lot of schools and I've never been in a school where they had washing rituals, or they had prayer, or where they had a room where you had to take your shoes off," Getz said.

"It is most likely that this substitute teacher was sadly mistaken," said Zaman.

He said the school follows state and federal guidelines when it comes to religion.

"We're required under the federal guidelines to allow students to pray when they wish to do so. And as Muslim students, they're allowed to pray around 1:30 p.m., so we allow them to do that," Zaman explained.

The State Department of Education said they would conduct more site visits and write to the State Department to find out more about the school’s sponsor.

TIZA requires all students to learn Arabic as a second language English. State law requires the school to fly an American flag during school hours, however no flag flies outside of TIZA Academy.

Zaman told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS he didn’t know how to work the flagpole.

Ok, so here's my suggestion, if nothing is done about this within a week or so, then all Christian parents (that would be me) should send their kids to school with instructions that they be allowed to interrupt and leave class, accompanied by a teacher, to pray, complete with Bible and cross, crucifix, or rosary, or whatever it is your denomination might use.

• riverbeauty™ 2008/12/18 01:44:06
    Yes, of course
    riverbeauty™
    +2
    If they get any U.S.A. Federal funding, they should fly a U.S.A. flag

If they don't want to fly a flag, they should get their funding elsewhere...

• Dark_Blood_It'sBitterSweet 2009/04/10 22:34:18
    Yes, of course
    Dark_Blood_It'sBitterSweet
    +1
    it' shows respect to the country
  • chainsaw 2008/12/20 16:53:35
    Yes, of course
    chainsaw
    +1
    Yes, where is our beloved ACLU?
  • Trader1 is kerbonkin' 2008/12/18 05:40:30
    Yes, of course
    Trader1 is kerbonkin'
    +1
    If they're getting American tax dollars, then yes.
  • Change Happens 2008/12/18 02:49:05
    Yes, of course
    Change Happens
    Most have a flag...many of them fly in a court yard, someplace where they cannot be stolen by the students.
  • Balto 2008/12/18 02:07:09
    Here is what I think
    Balto
    +1
    That any institution funded by tax payers' dollars must have an American flag outside. Also that the Muslim children should be allowed to pray in school since, if I remember correctly, it states that followers are to pray towards Mecca.
  • CornerBlitz 2008/12/18 01:52:54
    Yes, of course
    CornerBlitz
    +1
    I never really thought about it, but I know our school has a huge flag in the quad right in the center part of campus.
  • Brainfart " Bane of the Col... 2008/12/18 01:51:42
    Here is what I think
    Brainfart " Bane of the Collective "
    +1
    Just another example of the double standard here in the old US of A.....
    Religion is Not PC in schools except for were it offends minority religions...
    Our tax dollars at work...against Us
  • Brainfa... Brainfa... 2008/12/18 02:07:03
    Brainfart " Bane of the Collective "
    +1
    I love this part..

BUT He does know how to work our tax dollars to his Agenda...
  • This Much Brainfa... 2008/12/18 02:10:34
    This Much
    +1
    yeah I laughed at that too- makes Zaman look like a fool
  • riverbeauty™ 2008/12/18 01:44:06
    Yes, of course
    riverbeauty™
    +2

• Self - Deactivation. 2008/12/18 01:42:58
    Yes, of course
    Self - Deactivation.
    +2
    the schools are government funded, you live in America where kids have every opportunity available to them, they should fly the flag
  • This Much 2008/12/18 01:40:41
    Yes, of course
    This Much
    +1
    Its a Public Education - of course public education

2014/07/23 20:45:21