Should All People Living in America Be Required to Speak English?

The Big Question 2010/08/09 14:17:08

• **Bessie** 2010/08/10 03:43:09
    **Bessie**
    +6
    Yes. We should make it the official language. Other countries have an official language...but we're too damn liberal. Almost passed in the 80's....but short of liberal votes. Damn it!

• Lulu's Mom keyslammer 2010/08/10 23:09:00
    Lulu's Mom
    +2
    That is scary!! How do you communicate with a doctor that you can't understand, or understand you?
  • Axl Snaks keyslammer 2010/08/11 02:02:56
  • zebsmom keyslammer 2011/05/19 00:26:12
    zebsmom
    Same with nurses.
  • Deb 2010/08/10 15:33:45
    Deb
    Si LOLOL
  • Fef Deb 2010/08/10 20:03:54
    Fef
    si se puede!
    si se puede
  • Headhunter 13 2010/08/10 12:07:13 (edited)
    Headhunter 13
    +3
    For any and all official or government business. The money wasted on multiple language printed material and interpreters for people using government services is ridiculous and obscene.

People are free to speak whatever language they want in their homes, their own business, churches and private organizations. The rest of the people in America should not be burdened with the trouble and expense because some choose not to conform,

Every other country in the world has it's own offcial language we should here in the US.
  • Lilia 2010/08/10 11:10:45
    Lilia
    +1
    Uh Yeah
    +4
    Not just yes but HELL YES.
  • gary-da fuz 2010/08/10 04:45:49
    gary-da fuz
    YES!!!!!!
  • **Bessie** 2010/08/10 03:43:09
    **Bessie**
    +6
  • alexis 2010/08/10 03:05:02
    alexis
    +3
    i dont think so because english is a very hard language for foreign people to learn but that is my opinion
  • Headhun... alexis 2010/08/10 12:09:24
    Headhunter 13
    +2
    If they stayed in their own countries then that would not be a problem would it?
  • alexis Headhun... 2010/08/11 02:33:17
    alexis
    +1
    but what if they wanted to live differently? what if they had to move for personal reasons?
  • Headhun... alexis 2010/08/11 12:06:53
    Headhunter 13
    +2
    If they want to live differently and come here for a "better" life, then they should assimilate like immigrants have always done in the past. Plus they should immigrate legally and not start out by being criminals via illegal immigration.

And just what would some of these personal reasons be? If they moved to italy for personal reasons they would have to learn Italian, the same for France, Russia or any other country. if you moved to a Spanish speaking country for personal reason or for work or whatever you would have to leearn Spanish. Evry country in the world except the US has an official language
  • alexis Headhun... 2010/08/11 20:20:57
    alexis
    well i honestly did not know that... thank you for explaining it i guess if they wanted to live anywhere else they would have to learn a new language anyways..

and there are many different personal reasons like maybe they have a person going to kill?? lol jkish

that makes sense though.. :)
  • ..... 2010/08/10 00:27:23 (edited)
    .....
    +1
    Yeah of course. Almost all countries have an official language.
    And I actually think the US should actually go ahead and instead of having a defacto language of English, go ahead and make it the official language AND! make Spanish the secondary language, thus making it required to be taught in schools. In todays culture it is needed, and being bi-lingual is a major plus, and it also helps intelligence and spurs on learning in other areas, much the way math and reading do.
    And so a bi-lingual US is a much better, understanding, and united place for everyone.
  • Lulu's Mom ..... 2010/08/10 01:44:42
    Lulu's Mom
    Spanish was required when I was in school Not thinking I would ever use it, I just skated through it. Now I wish I had paid better attention.
  • Lulu's Mom Lulu's Mom 2010/08/10 01:56:37
    Lulu's Mom
    I would not live in a country I couldn't communicate in. Living there and working there would be difficult at best. And God knows what I would get ordering food in a restaurant LOL.
  • Pele Emerging 2010/08/10 00:00:52
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    Learn English? Yes. Speak it at all times? No. Freedom of speech means the freedom to speak in whatever language you choose, too.
  • Headhun... Pele Em... 2010/08/10 12:10:19
    Headhunter 13
    actually I would like to see you prove that that is hat is meant by freedom of speech
  • Pele Em... Headhun... 2010/08/10 16:17:44
    Pele Emerging
    I don't think that speaking a different language is exactly what is meant by freedom of speech, but it's a little ridiculous to require English speech in this country. The implications of that would be that you could not teach or speak or even learn a foreign language.

I don't have any problem with people speaking whatever language they choose in private, do you? My own grandmother, according to her stories, spoke nothing but German at home until she started school. After that, she learned and spoke English.
  • Headhun... Pele Em... 2010/08/10 16:27:21
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    yet that is what you implied. Have you ever lived or worked in any other country? I have many on 4 continents. If I did not speak the language it was up to me to learn it or pay for an interpreter. The country I was in did not provide them nor did they print forms in other languages or offer press #2 for English.

It is well past time we made English the official language of this country. Go to a Spanish speaking country and see if they will provide and bend over backwards like we do.

You made my point with your grandmother BTW. She did learn to speak English and was not taught in German nor did she have forms printed in German.

My SO's great grandfather came here from Mexico with his mother. They were Native American and when they got to the US part of the SW in the Arizona territory (not evena state at that time), they had to live on a reservation until they learned English and he went to school. That was in the late 1800's. She too feels that you should have to learn English just like her ancestors learned it.
  • Pele Em... Headhun... 2010/08/10 16:37:11
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I lived for 2 and a half hears in Germany. I never learned much German, which was to my detriment and I had to pay for my lack of knowledge.

I don't think I said or even implied that accommodating those who speak another language is somehow a constitutional right. I didn't mean to imply that in any way. I think that we should accommodate those with special needs, but that does not include those who only speak a different language. If businesses wish to put things in another language, well, that's their 'business.' Government, however, should not. If you don't speak English, but need to use government services, you'd best figure out how to do so on your own.
  • Headhun... Pele Em... 2010/08/10 17:58:21 (edited)
    Headhunter 13
    Okay you have become more than a waste of my time.here is the exact statement you made that brought any Consitutional issue into this.
    "Learn English? Yes. Speak it at all times? No. Freedom of speech means the freedom to speak in whatever language you choose, too."

AS for your special needs comment that is so irrelevant as to be a joke. Save yourself the trouble of answering and don't
  • Angus Pele Em... 2010/08/10 21:05:44
    Angus
    In Germany the mandtory language is German. However, you will learn English and French all the way through High School. If you want you can add Spanish and Italian. However, German remains the main language.
  • Angus Pele Em... 2010/08/10 21:03:27
    Angus
    And I bet that there was not one single class held in German. However, we bend over backwards to appease other minority groups.
  • Pele Em... Angus 2010/08/11 00:31:11
    Pele Emerging
    Didn't you read all I said? I said do NOT bend over backwards to appease minority groups. The only group I would bend over backwards to appease would be someone with a communication problem who is special needs.
  • Angus Pele Em... 2010/08/11 11:52:30
    Angus
    +1
    I read what you posted. My point was that only certain minority groups receive special treatment. If you're not hispanic you're in bad luck. Typical double standards.
  • Pele Em... Angus 2010/08/11 18:53:46
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    I do know what you're saying. I live in an area with a high number of Eastern European immigrants--Russian, Ukrainian, Romanian, etc. They do not receive nearly the services and 'bend over backwards' attitudes toward helping them that the Hispanics, the biggest minority in my area, receive.

I think that we're actually agreeing on most points. I do think that the US can and should designate English as our official language. I can and do think that it is not a 'right' to receive government services or forms or anything else in the language of your choice, if it is not English. My only problem is the wording "require" you to speak English. I lived in Germany once upon a time. It was inconvenient for ME not to speak and read German, but nobody required me to speak it. I could and did speak English while living there. About half the time I lived there, too, was before I lived in military housing (husband in USAF). We lived in a German apartment. I often shopped in German stores, as well. It was inconvenient for me not to speak much German, but I never thought that it was anyone's problem but my own. I either muddled through with my imperfect German or I would ask (in German) if anyone could speak English.
  • Angus Pele Em... 2010/08/10 21:02:02
    Angus
    I speak welfare ................................
  • Pele Em... Angus 2010/08/11 00:30:05
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    What is the problem with saying that people can speak any language they choose to speak in this country provided they understand that special accommodations will not be made if you don't speak or understand? I think I'm agreeing with you that government offices should not have to provide interpreters or forms in any language other than English. I'm just saying that requiring English to be spoken at all times seems a little ridiculous. Make it the official language. That's fine. What people choose to speak on their own time, even if it's Ig-pay Atin-lay is dumb and unenforceable.
  • Angus Pele Em... 2010/08/11 11:54:07
    Angus
    +1
    Sad part is that even public assistance forms are now bilingual.
  • Pele Em... Angus 2010/08/11 18:54:22
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    But maybe they shouldn't be.
  • yankee's wife 2010/08/09 23:51:51
    yankee's wife
    +3
    Yes! Yes! Yes! And I don't want to have to press 1 to do it!
    press 1
  • Heather ~Warrior Princess~ 2010/08/09 23:47:51
    Heather ~Warrior Princess~
    +3
    It's already a requirement for citizenship that foreigners learn to speak English.
  • Angus Heather... 2010/08/10 21:08:21
    Angus
    Yes and no. The test is actually very simple if not too simple. Written excam question: Please write "How are you doing today?" You nail that you pass. Couple of history questions that can be asked in your native language. That's it. Sad, isn't it???
  • Heather... Angus 2010/08/10 21:46:24
    Heather ~Warrior Princess~
    +1
    Yeah very.
  • Alejandra 2010/08/09 23:43:47
    Alejandra
    Yes,if only to be able to work without needing an Interpreter.I worked at the LVCVA..and alot of the hispanics came in. not being able to even fill out their forms.So I would be called out of meetings. by the time office to help them out, constantly.I don't mind helping. but they could get better jobs if they learned the Language. In Argentina.English is now taught in schools.
  • amanda 2010/08/09 23:37:03
    amanda
    +1
    noooooooooooo
  • Junichi 2010/08/09 23:36:28
    Junichi
    i mean you cant expect EVERYONE to understand your language during a job, education, or just simply asking for help. i think for everyone to understand what they need, want, and for the sakes of contracts for housing or whatever that it should be in their knowledge to learn it or at least basics anyway lol

2014/08/21 10:19:27