Should All People Living in America Be Required to Speak English?

The Big Question 2010/08/09 14:17:08

• **Bessie** 2010/08/10 03:43:09
    **Bessie**
    +6
    Yes. We should make it the official language. Other countries have an official language...but we're too damn liberal. Almost passed in the 80's....but short of liberal votes. Damn it!

• Chris 2013/10/11 02:56:04
    Chris
    What language is the constitution in? English. That is the language of the land. Same with other countries and their language.
  • calvin236 2012/11/04 18:27:20
    calvin236
    +1
    But i think it should at least be standard.
  • Haruko.Haruhara 2012/11/03 21:40:38
    Haruko.Haruhara
    Yes they should I can't stand spanish, the us caters to spanish speaking people but never to the Japanese or Chinese or Indian.

SPEAK ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Robert Uhl 2011/05/26 23:39:19
    Robert Uhl
    +1
    I think it is a travesty to even offer any other language in the USA other than English. I was in the military and every country I ever traveled to NEVER made concessions for English. It was their language or nothing. And if we are going to offer other languages we MUST be politically correct, so we would have to offer every language in the world. Could you imagine listening to a prompt that said for German press 10, for French press 11, and so on and so on until there was something like...for Arabic press 111, ridiculous? Also by offering Spanish to those who speak it is not doing them any favor. It is like offering a drink to an alcoholic, they just keep drinking. And by offering Spanish to those who speak Spanish gives them NO reason to learn the language (English) of the country they are in. I asked a friend from Mexico City if I was in Mexico would I get the same treatment as an English speaking person in Mexico and the answer was clearly NO. Finally I get sick and tired as an English speaking person having to hear the telephone prompts asking me if I want English or Spanish. I should not have to listen to this, I am in America, we speak English, and I should not have to waste my time listening to a prompt offering to speak a language that isn't even our national dialect.
  • zebsmom 2011/05/09 18:52:14
    zebsmom
    Required, no. That said, I do believe that social services, election materials and public education should be in English. If someone wants to maintain their own language/culture-fine. Do it yourself or work together with a group to teach your own children. Don't expect me to pay for it [as is currently the case].
  • jerseyrules 2011/03/30 02:41:00
    jerseyrules
    +1
    You can keep teaching your own language to your own kid and maintain your culture just learn our language; at least be able to communicate and not have us spend extra $ on these expensive tax funded schools; if you really want to go to ur own private school or home-school your kids if you dont like it
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2011/02/26 20:34:07
  • Manuel 2011/02/22 22:40:37
    Manuel
    +1
    no because it goes against our Constitution.....
  • jerseyr... Manuel 2011/03/30 02:45:09
    jerseyrules
    I realize it can't be enforced by government and i dont want it to be; (more programs gives them another excuse for not spending enough time on each issue) but at least at schools it should be taught and no extra attention than other kids or special tutors @ public schools should be given 2 em
  • Manuel jerseyr... 2011/03/30 16:06:02
    Manuel
    the majority of Mexicans and Latinos speak English. Most of ones in American schools speak English well. And the majority that are out in the work force building houses and working farms etc...speak enough English to understand their boss' wishes to perform their jobs....
  • zebsmom Manuel 2011/05/09 18:55:06
    zebsmom
    @ Manuel: not where I live. You are required to speak Spanish for nearly all jobs-but not English.
  • Manuel zebsmom 2011/05/17 14:51:12
    Manuel
    so move if your upset about it...
  • zebsmom Manuel 2011/05/19 00:22:29
    zebsmom
    It doesn't upset me. It's just the way it is. I grew up in this area of CA, so I had to learn Spanish. No big thing. I was just responding to your comment. Where I am, the majority of people don't speak English, even if they were born here. If you want to work, you HAVE to speak Spanish. English is optional.
  • Manuel zebsmom 2011/05/22 10:50:32
    Manuel
    Also it not to long ago that the Spanish language like in the 19th century dominated that whole south west area of the U.S. Spanish is the unofficial second language spoken in this country...
  • zebsmom Manuel 2011/05/27 18:23:30
    zebsmom
    Spanish was not the dominant language here until the mid 1970's, when the population shifted dramatically and there were masses of new immigrants at the same time.
  • Manuel zebsmom 2011/05/29 04:10:51
    Manuel
    you got to be kidding...lol....I not even gonna take the time to disprove that...Were I came from..in the 50's everybody in my Grandmothers hood was speaking Spanish...Texas goes real far back with it...but hey...why waste my time?
  • zebsmom Manuel 2011/05/29 14:39:32
    zebsmom
    Manuel, You're correct if we were talking about over150 years ago. Since the turn of the century, if not before-in the Monterey bay area, English has been the dominant language. There were immigrants from all over the world here who needed to communicate and the common thread was English.There were people from Yugoslovia, Germany, Ireland, Switzerland, Scotland, Italy, Russia, The Netherlands, The Philippines.... There were very few [proportionately] Mexican people here. There were quite a few Spanish here, but they all spoke English. Been in the area my whole life, and my family's been here for 5 generations. I do know what I hear walking down the street. Spanish wasn't commonly heard on the streets until the early '70's and didn't become the dominant language until the mid to late '70's.
  • Manuel zebsmom 2011/05/30 05:59:34
    Manuel
    Monterey bay area,?
  • zebsmom Manuel 2011/06/04 03:46:17
    zebsmom
    In California
  • zebsmom Manuel 2011/05/09 18:55:37
    zebsmom
    Just curious, but how?
  • Manuel zebsmom 2011/05/17 14:51:50
    Manuel
    how what?
  • SteveRoxx Manuel 2012/09/09 20:20:40
    SteveRoxx
    +3
    No, it doesn't.
  • gin 2010/09/14 04:18:54
    gin
    +1
    YES!!! If they can't speak English then get out of our country! I'm fed up with all the crap they spit out and you can't understand a damn word they say.They act like they don't understand us but bet your rear they do.Cause i made one mad one day when I called him what he really was. His eyes went cold black with hate. I laughed at him, and told my friend, sure glad he can't understand me.I might get my throat slit if he did.
  • Manuel gin 2011/02/22 22:38:53
    Manuel
    you must be a 15 year old....
  • SalmaE3 gin 2013/03/02 20:23:23 (edited)
  • Don Nash 2010/08/14 05:53:03
    Don Nash
    My wife is from a foreign country - when she was sworn in as a U.S. citizen there were about 40 different countries represented by the new citizens that day. ALL of them had to pass a English test to prove they were functionally able to speak English. None of them seemed to have a problem with it. By the way, many think if a person from another country marries a U.S. citizen they automatically become a citizen. Not so. It took us 10 months to get her 'Green Card'. And that was the waiting period after we filed tons of paperwork - fingerprinting - financial checks - physical exam and lab tests -a picture (sounds easy but it had to be a certain size with a measured amount of one ear showing - they were very precise and it was hard to find a place to do it right). She also had to show proof she had paid taxes in the U.S. - all the time having to continue to pay taxes to her native country (otherwise they wouldn't re=new her passport which meant leaving the country immediately). And then there was a face to face interview with an immigration officer. I could write forever about the stuff we went through. And that was just for her legalized immigrant status. 4 years later we had to do all over again to get her Citizenship. She comes from a country where she grew up under a constan...
    My wife is from a foreign country - when she was sworn in as a U.S. citizen there were about 40 different countries represented by the new citizens that day. ALL of them had to pass a English test to prove they were functionally able to speak English. None of them seemed to have a problem with it. By the way, many think if a person from another country marries a U.S. citizen they automatically become a citizen. Not so. It took us 10 months to get her 'Green Card'. And that was the waiting period after we filed tons of paperwork - fingerprinting - financial checks - physical exam and lab tests -a picture (sounds easy but it had to be a certain size with a measured amount of one ear showing - they were very precise and it was hard to find a place to do it right). She also had to show proof she had paid taxes in the U.S. - all the time having to continue to pay taxes to her native country (otherwise they wouldn't re=new her passport which meant leaving the country immediately). And then there was a face to face interview with an immigration officer. I could write forever about the stuff we went through. And that was just for her legalized immigrant status. 4 years later we had to do all over again to get her Citizenship. She comes from a country where she grew up under a constant state of martia law. You had to be in your home by a certain hour (early evening - something like 7pm). If you were out after that time you would be stopped by the police or military and questioned. And the police and military weren't very nice and operated practically 'at will'. She is very proud to be an American and it infuriates her when she hears a naturalized citizen or someone who wants to become a citizen criticize her country - the United States of America. So if someone takes offense who wants to come to this country - or worse, was born here - maybe they should move somewhere or go back. My wife won't set foot outside the U.S. She says Americans don't know what freedom and protections they enjoy - she does and she isn't ever going to risk it.
  • HAVE gun, WILL travel 2010/08/13 01:14:23
    HAVE gun, WILL travel
    +1
    As a REQUIREMENT-NO! Go to any other country in the world and you will NOT find drivers test in 10 different languages, or answering services that talk to you in multi-languages. It should be a requirement that if a person needs a certain service such as a drivers license, they should take the test in English. How many road signs have you seen in 7 languages?
  • doofiegirl BTO-t- BCRA-F ~... 2010/08/12 09:51:27
    doofiegirl  BTO-t- BCRA-F ~PWCM~
    +2
    Why not? Speak what you will at home, but when dealing with the public, speak the language ! If I could learn Japanese, the others can learn English! It's a courtesy!
  • BlooregaurdQ.Kazoo 2010/08/11 11:31:39
    BlooregaurdQ.Kazoo
    They should speak American.
  • peach635 2010/08/11 03:27:28
    peach635
    Ya everyone should speak english if they live in the united states cause why move here when you cant even speak the proper language.it shouldnt be the united state citizens learning spanish it should be the spanish speaking learning English if they want to live here.
  • chamchamgal 2010/08/11 03:17:37
    chamchamgal
    man english is HARD. Im 21 and still having a hard time with it
  • AngelaTC 2010/08/11 02:33:36
    AngelaTC
    +3
    I don't care if they speak Klingon when they're at home or in public, but they need to know enough English to pass the citizenship and other government exams.
  • NarcolepticGoat 2010/08/10 22:15:31
    NarcolepticGoat
    Be very careful about what you say around those you think do or don't speak English. They might just not want to speak it around strangers.
  • Angus 2010/08/10 20:59:51
    Angus
    +2
    Last time I checked this was America. Even though liberals do all they can to destroy it. If you move to Europe you will be learning the language of the country you reside in. That's how it is and should be here as well.

Si esto es todo lo que se puede leer que no debería estar aquí. ¡Sal ahora !!!!!!!!!!

Se isto é tudo que você pode ler que você não deveria estar aqui. Saia agora !!!!!!!!!!
  • Narcole... Angus 2010/08/10 22:08:37
    NarcolepticGoat
    In the month I spent in Norway almost everyone I met spoke at least some English. I only managed to learn a couple of words.
  • Angus Narcole... 2010/08/10 23:36:21
    Angus
    IT would be different if you had to work there !!!
  • Narcole... Angus 2010/08/10 23:44:02
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    well actually it was for work, but I agree, if I lived there I would definitely want to learn Norwegian if I lived there.
  • Fef 2010/08/10 20:05:48
    Fef
    +1
    Mandating a language ranks up there with making laws against burning the American flag. I don't like it that some people choose not to learn the language of their host/home country. And I don't like it if anyone burns an American flag. But I also believe in the freedom (of speech in whichever language) to do either.
  • Mel Winchester 2010/08/10 16:56:39
    Mel Winchester
    +2
    They can speak whatever other language they want, but English should be a must.
  • keyslammer Mel Win... 2010/08/10 17:51:06 (edited)
    keyslammer
    +3
    I work in the field of medical transcription. This is a job where you take a doctor's dictation on their patients and type it verbatim into a specialized computer program and then that report becomes a part of the patient's hospital medical record. The number of physicians from the Middle East (Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq), Pakistan, India, are astounding. What is even worse is the MAJORITY of them cannot speak English well enough to even construct an English sentence. They will speak so fast they do not enunciate the words properly and many talk like they have a mouth full of mush. It's unbelievable is what it is. And a lot of these "physicians" are getting their "degrees" to become a doctor from Caribbean medical schools (very cheap and low standards not to mention equipment being used that date back to the 50s and 60s) and since by some stroke of fate the USA has come to accept these new doctors here and allow them to test (which is another thing that would blow your mind) to get a license to practice in the USA. But they NEVER test them in their English skills, grammar, punctuation, nothing. After hearing what I have heard for the past 8 years especially, there is NO WAY I would ever go to one of these "physicians". I feel so so very sorry for the elderly be...
    I work in the field of medical transcription. This is a job where you take a doctor's dictation on their patients and type it verbatim into a specialized computer program and then that report becomes a part of the patient's hospital medical record. The number of physicians from the Middle East (Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq), Pakistan, India, are astounding. What is even worse is the MAJORITY of them cannot speak English well enough to even construct an English sentence. They will speak so fast they do not enunciate the words properly and many talk like they have a mouth full of mush. It's unbelievable is what it is. And a lot of these "physicians" are getting their "degrees" to become a doctor from Caribbean medical schools (very cheap and low standards not to mention equipment being used that date back to the 50s and 60s) and since by some stroke of fate the USA has come to accept these new doctors here and allow them to test (which is another thing that would blow your mind) to get a license to practice in the USA. But they NEVER test them in their English skills, grammar, punctuation, nothing. After hearing what I have heard for the past 8 years especially, there is NO WAY I would ever go to one of these "physicians". I feel so so very sorry for the elderly being treated by them. Many of our elderly are hard of hearing as it is and I'm sure trying to understand the instructions of one of these people is just futile. It needs to be made mandatory that these people can speak the language articulately and precise. If you are one of these physicians reading this and one who has not worked on their English, shame on you. One day you are going to get a patient report back with everything you say exactly as you say it. Are you scared yet? If I typed a report as I am supposed to (verbatim) you would not have a job in medicine, believe that.

2014/08/01 06:01:51