Should a Parent Lose Custody of His Child if He’s a Neo-Nazi?

Social services can swoop in and take children away from their parents for any number of reasons: for drunk driving arrests, abuse, neglect, locking them in a cage or for a mother or father's mental instability.

But is it fair to yank a child out of the house if the dad's a Nazi? That's what some people are wondering following the murder of white supremacist Jeff Hall at the hands of his 10-year-old son on May 1. Before his death, Hall had engaged in a bitter custody battle with his first wife over their two children, with allegations of abuse on both sides, but in the end Hall was given legal custody.

Hall had steeped his children in the virulent hate ideology of the neo-Nazi movement, teaching them its tenets of racial purity and the dream of an all-white nation. But Slate wondered if Hall's beliefs were enough to disqualify him from having custody of the children in the first place.

When it comes to custody disputes, courts typically site the "best interests of the child," an amorphous designation that takes in everything from the importance of keeping the family together, to the kid's health and safety. Efforts are also made to ensure that emotional ties are kept strong and that the parents can provide a safe, stable home with adequate food.

There are many more factors, with the exception of race, and in some cases, religion, but politics is rarely one of them. In some rare instances, though, judges have assigned custody based only on politics, such as during WW II when a father in New York was denied custody in part because a judge determined he had been "contaminated with the germ of Nazism."

Living in a white supremacist household could lead to conflicts at school and based on a recent New York Times profile of Hall, his views were certainly having an impact on his kids.

The day before the killing, the 10-year-old boy proudly showed off a leather belt with a Nazi SS symbol his dad had given him and the Hall's home was a frequent meeting place for parties celebrating the "white civil rights movement"

Do you think a parent should lose custody for being a Neo-Nazi?

• (>*~*)>... bricklyn 2011/05/15 12:23:25
    (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<)
    Just because you don't want to believe it doesn't mean it's forged. And don't throw your labels this way. You don't know me or what I believe.
  • CaliGurl Loctia 2011/05/13 22:44:44
    CaliGurl
    You're right, and liberals are well-known for being the peaceful party. Let the cons deny it, but it's a fact. Sometimes I wish the Dems had more of a backbone, but we'd rather compromise than fight.
  • Bob DiN Loctia 2011/05/14 00:11:17
    Bob DiN
    You should have your eyes checked you don't see well.
  • Loctia Bob DiN 2011/05/14 02:29:36
    Loctia
    You should have your brain checked, you clearly are delusional.
  • Thor Am... Loctia 2011/05/13 19:29:13
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    Really?
    Do you need more I can get over 8 years worth of Liberal hate.

8 years worth liberal hate Bush 8 years worth liberal hate Bush hate 8 years worth liberal hate Bush hate http://atlasshrugs2000.typepa... 8 years worth liberal hate httpatlasshrugs2000 typepa Bush hate
  • Loctia Thor Am... 2011/05/14 02:30:03
    Loctia
    Bush wasn't a liberal.
  • Thor Am... Loctia 2011/05/14 14:47:19
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    Do you even understand English? You need to stay on topic. Let me put it on a kindergarten level for you.

YOU said "Libs don't hate."

I just provided YOU with examples of things LIBERALS posted about Bush. Do you understand it now?
  • Loctia Thor Am... 2011/05/15 01:21:46
    Loctia
    That doesn't mean all liberals hate you moron. By that logic, all conservative hate too because they have plenty of offensive photoshops as well.
  • Thor Am... Loctia 2011/05/15 02:05:05
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    You really need to seek help for your Crack wasted mind. But that's typical of a lib whack-job. As a reminder (now stay focused) It was YOU that said (and I quote) "Liberals don't hate". Those were YOUR words. I just proved you are incapable of the truth.
  • Loctia Thor Am... 2011/05/15 02:11:15
    Loctia
    As I've already said, better to generalize a positive statement.

In that case, I've proved you are a liar too since you have no possible way to prove that all liberals hate. But I already knew you were a liar, since you claim my mind is "crack wasted" and I haven't touched anything stronger than a cigarette in my entire life.
  • bricklyn Loctia 2011/05/15 06:37:23
    bricklyn
    Just a liar.
  • Bob DiN Loctia 2011/05/14 00:09:59
    Bob DiN
    Are you kidding liberalism is founded on hate.
  • Loctia Bob DiN 2011/05/14 02:30:28
    Loctia
    If by founded in hate, you mean YOU hate them and therefore need an excuse to back up the fact that you have no reason to hate them.
  • bricklyn Bob DiN 2011/05/15 06:38:06
  • Crystal Thor Am... 2011/05/13 18:54:52
    Crystal
    +1
    You do realize that generalizations of a group of people (in this case, a political party) makes the person doing it look sick with hatured, right?

Even if the person is not, it gives off that vibe since generalizations/sterotyping is connected to Bigotry.
  • bricklyn Fannie 2011/05/15 06:32:32
    bricklyn
    Many christians are sick with hatred.
  • ConLibFraud 2011/05/13 17:38:32
    ConLibFraud
    +1
    Should gays be allowed to adopt?
  • Thor Am... ConLibF... 2011/05/13 18:02:17
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    +1
    Well on that point I'd say NO 'F'en WAY
  • ConLibF... Thor Am... 2011/05/13 19:01:50
    ConLibFraud
    +1
    No to liberal double standards.
  • Pixie·Ÿ... ConLibF... 2011/05/13 19:29:49
  • Leinad 2011/05/13 17:31:24
    Leinad
    +3
    Is the same asked of NEW BLACK PANTHER PARTY and it's members.Let's go down a list...REV WRIGHT and HIS BLACK LIBERATION THEOLOGY mumbo jumbo, hate spewing diatribe and ALL OF HIS PARISHIONERS that weekly , year after year SUBSCRIBE to that ideology.
    How about marching into the OUTHOUSE in DC , and grab the RACIST RACER ; the (supposed president),get DHWS to invade and take his kids, from himself and michelle..THEY HAS BEEN INDOCTRINATING HIS GIRLS TO HATE WHITIE..since birth. How about all the followers of LA RAZE(the race), they need to have their children taken from them also.

WHY IS THAT WHITIE has the SOLE market on HATE and RACISM?..because WHITIE is the perfect scapegoat to all the AILS in the world,(let me back away from the monitor) WE, WHITIE(White Christians),WE ARE THE NEW JEWS.
    Hey, someone has got to take'em down(WHIITE/CHRISTIANS), if islam is slaughtering them, then why not the rest of the world.

Why is that WHITIE can't teach their children what they wish to, whether it be MLK's "judge a person by the content of their heart and not the color of their skin", or the reverse, WE ALLOW OTHER GROUPS to freely teach their children HATE , (mentioned above)...OBAMA JUST SUGGESTED IN PUBLIC(as BECK suggested, I agree), as he did in 2007, 2008, that there should ...

Why is that WHITIE can't teach their children what they wish to, whether it be MLK's "judge a person by the content of their heart and not the color of their skin", or the reverse, WE ALLOW OTHER GROUPS to freely teach their children HATE , (mentioned above)...OBAMA JUST SUGGESTED IN PUBLIC(as BECK suggested, I agree), as he did in 2007, 2008, that there should be respect of PERSON..a man/woman should NOT be judged by the CONTENT of their HEART HEAR , BUT BY THE CREED and COLOR of their skin.
    2008 OBAMA suggested the THE LATINO POPULATION FOCUS THEIR ANGER in the vote, (scapegoat..CONSERV's, REPUB's) and he once again(inTexas and towards the ILLEGALS), he pandered with his RACER's IDEOLOGY..the NEW BLACK PANTHER PARTY said that all blacks should join togethe , regardless, and vote for the black man, REGARDLESS. HUNH.....

SO WE SHOULD GO INTO EVERYONES HOUSE THAT DISAGREES WITH THE "powers that be", and confiscate their children. THEN IF the "powers that be" are allowed to exert that power and DO THIS TOTHIS MAN/PARENTS , based on their freedom to teach their children what is politically distasteful; THEN LIKEWISE, GET READY I'LL BE THE FIRST IN LINE TO PROTEST THAT EVERYONE, obama and michelle, la raza members, NBPP, NAACP, REV WRIGHT and HIS CONGREGATION, anyone that differs from MY INTERESTS....have their children taken from them.

THIS IS A ONE-SIDED QUESTION SUPPOSES THAT WHITIE HAS THE MARKET ON BIGOTRY AND RACISM..spread the misery and hate..obama's definition of MARXISM 101.
  • (>*~*)>... Leinad 2011/05/14 04:20:27
    (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<)
    +1
    I totally agree.
  • Leinad (>*~*)>... 2011/05/14 14:44:58 (edited)
    Leinad
    +1
    thank you, at least I see some see the hypocrisy and the BIG BROTHER attitude..maybe not how you may put it, but I am tired of both parties fighting, when the common solution is WE THE PEOPLE..forget the sly politics and PC groups..time to shut up all sides and hate groups at the BALLOT BOX..hopefully, but not a high probability..thank you again
  • (>*~*)>... Leinad 2011/05/14 23:14:03
    (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<)
    +1
    no problem.... i just wonder when the new black panthers are going to make scenes again with the coming elections. Race groups are so friggin stupid.... you aren't going to get anywhere.
  • j moraman 2011/05/13 17:27:36
    j moraman
    +1
    If he is a good parent and provides for the child he has a right to keep it. There are dead beats that still have there children when they would rather buy some crack than to buy food..
  • Time Traveler 2011/05/13 17:24:17
    Time Traveler
    +2
    It's his child.

Social Services was a tolerable idea with a lousy implementation. They take children from good fathers, give it to alcoholic mothers (Thanks sexism), they take children from good black families and put them into abusive white families (Thanks racism), they take children for bad reasons (Religion, political beliefs) and leave the ones that should be taken (Abusive parents, etc.).

If you're going to yank the child out because the father is a neo-nazi, you might as well come take my children too. I have a slightly unusual set of political beliefs too.

There are plenty of reasons to take a child away if he's in a bad home.

Father abusing him? I can understand that. Prove it and I'll tolerate it.
    Father forcing him into hate and racism? I can understand that. Prove it and I'll tolerate it.
    Father denying him the education he deserves? I can understand that. Prove it and I'll tolerate it.
    Father doesn't believe the same thing you believe? I can't understand that. Find a good reason.
  • Joanna ... Time Tr... 2011/05/13 21:11:54 (edited)
    Joanna the Great
    His father wasn't doing any of that except forcing him into hate and racism. If you read this article here it's pretty clear the father was definitely forcing the nazi ideology on all 5 of his children. I don't however, believe that that is a good enough reason to take the child away. I was just letting you know :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/0...
  • gr8American 2011/05/13 17:23:47
    gr8American
    Absolutely, those ideals should be cut at the root, actually the father should be castrated so as he never has children who can learn all of his hatred toward those not like them and pass on their anti-American ideals.
  • Time Tr... gr8Amer... 2011/05/13 17:27:42
    Time Traveler
    The Taliban would say a similar thing about you, minus the "Anti-".

Also, I'd like you to remember what Nazi is, politically. It is fascism.
    You know what? The United States Government actually has a few fascists of it's own, some of which are openly similar to Neo-Fascist (Like Nazi but without the swastika).
  • gr8Amer... Time Tr... 2011/05/13 17:33:34
    gr8American
    Yeah, Beck and Newt head that neo-fascist group and they should lose their children too.
  • Thor Am... gr8Amer... 2011/05/13 18:06:17
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    +1
    Yes if they did perhaps their kids could find your mind
  • gr8Amer... Thor Am... 2011/05/13 18:33:46
    gr8American
    Their kids are probably mindless now or at best at moron level, I would just deport them to whatever nation would want them.
  • bricklyn gr8Amer... 2011/05/15 06:45:56
    bricklyn
    Intelligence has been the enemy of the church for centuries. The Dark Ages were a direct cause of the influence of the church and it's inability to deal with information and science. It sent mankind back for centuries and still has issues with free thought. If there were ever an issue of any intelligence at the moron level you should look at the church.
  • gr8Amer... bricklyn 2011/05/15 13:47:05
    gr8American
    Not religious at all and though the bible may have started as a noble project (probably all religious writings for that matter), It is impossible to see any noble interests in it, when every sect customizes it for their benefit and many times for their political benefit.
    However it is a gr8 tool to manipulate gullible morons or imbeciles to get things done in any particular interest.
  • Thor Am... Time Tr... 2011/05/13 18:05:13
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    +4
    Yes they scrapped the Swastika for this Updated logo

scrapped swastika logo obama logo
  • Loctia Thor Am... 2011/05/13 18:41:47
    Loctia
    +1
    Oh shut up. You're not even speaking words. Just mindless, uninformed neo-con bull.
  • Time Tr... Thor Am... 2011/05/13 19:07:14 (edited)
    Time Traveler
    +1
    I said "Fascism".

facism
  • Thor Am... Time Tr... 2011/05/13 20:09:26
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    I know exactly what it means. You need to learn how to spell it. But that's beside the point.

The current group of persons running the government want to nationalize healthcare. They also want to nationalize the oil industry, also the automobile industry. They floated the Idea of a 'Fairness' doctrine for the entertainment industry to force private companies into provide opposing points of veiw on radio and video media. Specifically targeting conservative broadcasting. So in answer to your answer to my answer. I think I pretty much NAILED IT.

Fascism
    a.A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
    b.A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.
    •Oppressive, dictatorial control.
  • Time Tr... Thor Am... 2011/05/14 20:22:41
    Time Traveler
    "The current group of persons running the government want to nationalize healthcare."
    Government using tax money to pay for healthcare for everyone - Socialist (Common socialist application in any type of country. Liberals bias this one)
    Government using Corporate entities as a way to make a weak healthcare plan for everyone, nationally, encouraging the rich to get better healthcare - Progressive Conservative (Uncommon, but still used)
    Government removing all forms of healthcare or using a single, extremely low-quality barely any coverage healthcare plan and forcing people to abide by it through strict laws. - Fascist (Very Uncommon. NK is a sort of example of this.)

USA: #2, badly implemented. Relatively conservative. Ideally, it would work if it were done right. However, it will never work in the United States. Like raising taxes, there's a reason other countries don't do it. (Canada's highest tax is roughly 30%. United State's income tax alone is 40%. Which one has good health care? Exactly.)

"They also want to nationalize the oil industry, also the automobile industry."
    If by "Nationalize" you mean "Slap-on-the-wrist", then perhaps. The way it is being done fits no political doctrine. It simply fits as idiotic.

"They floated the Idea of a 'Fairness' doctrine for the entertainmen...

"They floated the Idea of a 'Fairness' doctrine for the entertainment industry to force private companies into provide opposing points of veiw on radio and video media."

A Fascist government would suppress and censor all viewpoints except for one. The opposition is extremely censored.
    In the United States, Television shows are generally biased towards Liberals. The "Fairness" doctrine has actually been requiring them to show non-liberal viewpoints as well. It fits a Liberal doctrine.
    Balance of viewpoints is completely against the Fascist doctrines and beliefs.

"Specifically targeting conservative broadcasting. "
    Correction:
    Specifically targeting Conservative bias news station and Liberal bias television programs.

And, finally...

"So in answer to your answer to my answer. I think I pretty much NAILED IT. "
    Yeah. Right in the foot.

television programs answer answer answer pretty nailed yeah foot
  • Thor Am... Time Tr... 2011/05/15 02:14:23 (edited)
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    You are delusional. And flat out WRONG on all points 30% tax in Canada? OMG blatent flat out WRONG of this I am very on the money. ALL the pipefitters on my site were at 51% right off the top. So back up reload and try again.

Also I noticed you corrected your spelling error

2014/10/25 00:50:34