Should a parent force their pregnant teen to get an abortion?

Scars Remain (aka Vicki) 2009/01/12 02:39:29
Yes. Parents know what's best for their teens.
No. The teen should choose since it is her body.
The Elliot Institute has released a report that exposes America's forced abortion epidemic.

Elliot Institute spokesperson Amy Solby tells OneNewsNow that one study found 64 percent of women who had abortions reported they felt pressured to abort by others. "Something like 80 percent of them said that they didn't get the counseling they needed to make a good decision, that often they were not given counseling at all, or that the counseling they had was inadequate," she explains.

Solby also mentions forced abortions, which are not widely discussed in the U.S. An article released from the Institute cites two cases in 2006 in which teenage girls were violently persuaded to have abortions. In Maine, a couple abducted their 19-year-old daughter, bound and gagged her, and drove her to New York for an abortion. However, she escaped from her parents in the parking lot of a store and called police from her cell phone.

That same year, a Georgia mother forced her pregnant 16-year-old daughter to drink turpentine in hopes of aborting her baby. She was later arrested for criminal abortion after her daughter told the school counselor about the incident. The Institute has studied other cases where women are commonly threatened, pressured, or subjected to violence for refusing to abort.

"There's not any necessarily real hard numbers on violent [coercion] but, if you consider that homicide is the leading killer of pregnant women according to several studies, and then the fact that a large number of them have to do with the fact that the woman was killed or assaulted...because she refused to have an abortion or in an attempt to force her to abort," Solby concludes.

The Elliot Institute is trying to convince states to pass laws forcing abortion facilities to screen women for coercion and not to do an abortion where coercion is involved. Solby believes women then could be helped with whatever situation they are facing

• AnnaDanielle 2009/08/15 20:33:43
    AnnaDanielle
    +1
    No, they should be "forced" to give birth. They knew what could happen when they were having sex.
  • GrumpyCat 2009/08/15 19:51:55
    GrumpyCat
    +1
    That is almost as bad as parents forcing their teens not to get an abortion. Teen's bodies, they should decide.
  • z-Madness-z 2009/07/07 15:41:21
    z-Madness-z
    +1
    And if the parents can't help but give subtle hints that she should get an abortion, the parents need a vacation away from the girl.
  • Lexy 2009/06/29 00:42:37
    Lexy
    +1
    no because it is her life and not her parents i think she should be able to make that decision on her own.
  • Emmett's Girl! & in Nyx I t... 2009/06/28 23:49:42
    Emmett's Girl! & in Nyx I trust
    YES AND NO
    i think that because if the child drinks,smokes,and is not responsible then they should but if it is a really good child then they should keep the baby
  • celestie 2009/06/18 15:37:31
    celestie
    +1
    no they cant decide to kill the baby just cus their kid made a bad desicion and got pregant
  • Jon 2009/04/17 03:58:50
    Jon
    +2
    What I say is that parents should be parents, and decide yes or no, on their own. But I, for one, oppose abortion. If I had a daughter and she was both single and pregnant, I'd have her put the baby up for adoption. Maybe even adopt it, myself. parents parents decide oppose abortion daughter pregnant baby adoption adopt
  • GrumpyCat Jon 2009/08/15 19:52:55
    GrumpyCat
    How is forcing her to keep the baby and worse than forcing her to give it up.
  • proshe 2009/03/19 01:35:09
    proshe
    +2
    Two wrongs never make a right. Whoever saves one life saves the whole world.
  • Amanda †In God We Trust† 2009/02/07 15:21:25 (edited)
    Amanda †In God We Trust†
    +3
    They shouldn't in the first place! Killing of a baby.
  • will miss ya! 2009/02/06 01:53:59 (edited)
    will miss ya!
    +2
    No, a parent shouldn't be able to force a teen to have an abortion in my opinion and the reason I didn't chose "No. The teen should choose since it is her body." is because the teen made her choice when she decided to have unprotected sex! There are other alternatives to abortions... give the baby up for adoption and to a person who desperately wants children and can't have them if you are not able to provide for the child.
    sex alternatives abortions baby adoption person desperately children provide child http://intercessor.files.word...
  • IH - Lion of Light 2009/02/02 04:30:00
    IH - Lion of Light
    +2
    and be prepared take the consequences of her decision...
  • i812 2009/01/21 15:09:18
    i812
    +1
    no they should not, the only thing they should do is show support for there kids. and help them through it. what ever there choice is.
  • slashes 2009/01/15 21:25:34
    slashes
    +3
    Abortion is NOT birth control! You should not be able to force someone to get an abortion. I'm a woman but I don't believe it's a woman's right to choose. You already made YOUR decision by having sex. And the baby has his/her own rights and should not be killed just because the mother is inconvenienced.
  • Maria 2009/01/15 01:24:34
    Maria
    +3
    no its wrong why does a poor baby have to sufer and die just because a mistake die its not its fault besides its not the parents baby its the girls and also im against abortion
  • holliday04 2009/01/15 01:01:59
    holliday04
    +3
    No, I do not believe that parents should force their teen to get an abortion. No, I do not believe that the teen should get an abortion. I believe that abortion is wrong. The teen should have the child and, if the teen cannot take care of the child - then put the child up for adoption.
  • kaylynbutler 2009/01/13 04:43:07
    kaylynbutler
    +2
    Not only is it her body, but it is her unborn child. She made the decision to have sex, so she be allowed to make the decision how to handle the result of her decision and a parents job is to support their child, whether they agree with it or not. Parents force children to get immunizations, not abortions. They are practically adults at that point.
  • ThinkImHot 2009/01/13 02:56:26
    ThinkImHot
    +1
    As a pro choice parent I think that should my teen daughter end up pregnant she would in fact get an abortion. At that age how can they emotionally, mentally, and financially care for a child? The grand parent is the one who gets the child along with all of the responsibilities that go along with it. I apologize ahead of time to all of those SH's that will disagree with me!
  • Scars R... ThinkImHot 2009/01/13 03:48:10
    Scars Remain (aka Vicki)
    +1
    So you would risk the relationship you have with your teen to force her to have an abortion? Even though it is her body?
    Why wouldn't adoption be an option?
    Have you thought about discussing the options, with the teen and letting her make the decision on what is right for her?
    I ask this because my parents tried to force me into an abortion, something I knew I couldn't live with.
    I resented them for a very long time, for even attempting to coerce me into their life dreams for me, rather than discuss and research other options available. My parents ended up not having to take care of the child, I went to work and provided the care and soon married the child's father. An abortion would have killed the relationship I had with my boyfriend too.
    Please don't take this wrong, but I really am curious to the relational aspect of it. Especially when you read things about mother's tying their daughter up, to take them to get an abortion or making them drink turpentine to abort a child.
    That has got to be traumatic.
  • slashes ThinkImHot 2009/01/15 21:27:28
    slashes
    +2
    What's wrong with adoption? So you would rather kill an innocent baby than to have another family raise the child?
  • IH - Li... ThinkImHot 2009/02/02 04:32:51 (edited)
    IH - Lion of Light
    +1
    Sorry...it goes with the territory of raising children. Either make sure your teen has birth control or share the responsibility for your minor childs actions. Forcing a girl to have an abortion because it suits you is criminal.

I had a child at 16 and my parents let me deal with the reality and consequences while supporting me through it AND I did. Changed my life and I grew up pretty fast. Thank you mom and dad.
  • chocoholic87 2009/01/13 02:38:03
    chocoholic87
    +4
    if her parents dont want her to have it then have her put it up for adoption..dont just kill it
  • Carl 2009/01/13 02:28:11
    Carl
    +3
    Although the young lady is young, forcing your child to have an abortion will destroy her mental, emotional and eventually her physical health. Is the situation troubling? You bet it is but it isn't the end of the world.
  • Scars R... Carl 2009/01/13 02:48:12
    Scars Remain (aka Vicki)
    +1
    It might be the end of the world for the teen forced or coerced to do something she was not willing to do.
  • Karensue322 2009/01/13 02:17:59
    Karensue322
    +3
    What is wrong with making a mistake and adopting the child out? Don't believe in abortions since we are talking about a human life.
  • sarahblanche 2009/01/13 02:15:44
    sarahblanche
    +4
    NO! i dont support abortion, so technically,
    the parents should force the teen NOT to have an abortion
  • Nanapie 2009/01/13 01:34:47
    Nanapie
    +5
    I'm glad that my parents didn't force abortion on me when I made the mistake of getting pregnant at 17. I wouldn't have my son if they had. Now he's given me the most awesome granddaughter in the world. My parents gave me several choices and I chose what I thought was best for me.
  • Scars R... Nanapie 2009/01/13 02:49:00
    Scars Remain (aka Vicki)
    +1
    I am with you on that.
  • Irons 2009/01/13 01:18:53
    Irons
    +1
    No one should be forced to under go a procedure
  • ♥m.c.k.a.y.ℓ.a♥;™ 2009/01/13 00:27:28
    ♥m.c.k.a.y.ℓ.a♥;™
    +4
    No madder what you shouldn't kill a life. It deserves to live no madder what. If anything just give it up for adoption
  • BitterSweetSymphony 2009/01/12 22:28:27
    BitterSweetSymphony
    +1
    This is a decision between the pregnant teen and the boy that got her pregnant. Ultimately it will be her decision alone but her parents should not be FORCING her to abort a pregnancy. This happened to my cousin when she was 15 and pregnant. Her mother (which was my aunt by marriage) forced her to get an abortion and it caused turmoil in my family. To this day my cousin who is now in her early 20's has never gotten over it and has yet to forgive her mother.
  • Scars R... BitterS... 2009/01/12 22:34:30
    Scars Remain (aka Vicki)
    +1
    I can definitely relate to that. I have a cousin who is in her early 50's now but was in her mid to early teens then. Her mother forced her to have an abortion, she has never been the same. There is a big rift between her and her mother to this day. I believe it is the catalyst that spiraled her down to the depths she now resides. She gets through her days on antidepressants.
  • BitterS... Scars R... 2009/01/12 23:15:23
    BitterSweetSymphony
    +1
    Very sad to hear.
  • gracies... Scars R... 2009/01/14 14:40:00
    gracieshorts"'in God WE Trust"
    +1
    Unfortunately this is very common. If you did a poll on those who had an abortion and the effect it ahs had on their lives I think that most if not all have suffered great emotional effects and guilt.
  • jacalera ~Can You Say Lipton?~ 2009/01/12 18:33:52
    jacalera ~Can You Say Lipton?~
    +5
    Abortions shouldn't be legal for anyone.
  • Undecided
    ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    +7
    If my daughter gets pregenant and she is under my roof I will help raise it! If it to much I would help her put baby up for adoption! I pray it never happens though!!!
  • Mad Hatter love <3 2009/01/12 14:18:24
    Mad Hatter love <3
    +1
    no one at any point can ever be forced to get an abortion. It's the womans choice whether she gets an abortion or not.
  • NuddaBlackGuy 2009/01/12 12:51:15
    NuddaBlackGuy
    +6
    How about this ... Abortion is ... yes ... murder.
    How about this ... Murderers should be put to death.
    How about this ... Parents who force their daughter to spread their legs so a murder can kill their baby should themselves be put to death, along with the abortionist(s) and any who participate in the murder.
  • AWS 2009/01/12 08:46:59
    AWS
    +1
    I believe the teen should choose, but with the proper counseling and education on what it means to be a parent.

I believe the parents and the teen should discuss the teens plans and cover all aspects so that the teen can make an informed decision. I also believe that if the teen feels that she wouldn't be able to make the sacrifices it takes to raise a child that she should be encouraged to give the baby up for adoption rather than abort the baby.

Unfortunately, the schools and free clinics undermine the relationship the parents and teen should have by providing a way for the teen to go behind the parents backs. I believe the schools can educate the kids on sex and protecting oneself, but should also teach having the courage to speak to their parents as well.
  • NObamaGirl ~ Viva Cristo Rey!~ 2009/01/12 08:27:09
    NObamaGirl ~ Viva Cristo Rey!~
    +4
    Abortion is wrong regardless, but it's even worse if it's forced like that, because not only are you killing a child, you are putting the woman through a very horrible and traumatic experience that wasn't exactly a piece of pie to begin with...

forced killing child woman horrible traumatic experience piece pie begin

2014/12/18 02:25:14