SHOULD A MAN WITH DEMENTIA BE EXECUTED?

Tigger Too 2011/05/17 15:50:18

Danny Lee Bedford, 63, was executed by the State of Ohio this morning for the double murder of his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend back in 1984. The crime was quite gruesome and was premeditated. Bedford's attorneys argued that he had dementia and was a bit "slow." The basis of his last appeal was to allow more time to address Bedford's mental state, but the Supreme Court turned it down this morning, and Bedford was executed. The law states that a person with any type of mental disease cannot be put to death. However, why should that be when someone is convicted of murder and given a death sentence, and then he sits on Death Row for the next 27 years? Yes, Bedford was elderly and perhaps suffered from a mild case of dementia, but should he have avoided execution just because he had lived long enough to BE senile?

More details of Bedford's crime are below. What do you think?

Read More: http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...

• HipJipC 2011/05/18 17:36:01
    Yes, he deserved to be executed
    HipJipC
    +1
    Enough said.
  • mm 2011/05/18 12:48:44 (edited)
    Other
    mm
    +1
    If his dementia is to the point he can no longer understand he is being punished, then the only other reason to have done it was as a deterrent to others. Unfortunately, that part of the death penalty has not proven, over the hundreds of years it has been with us, to deterrent all of this kind of horrible crime. I think 27 years is too long to keep someone in this limbo and make the rest of us pay for his care. If society wants it, then have the guts to go through with it in a timely fashion. You can't want revenge and save your soul at the same time. It is a moral dilemma.
  • La 2011/05/18 09:36:12
    Yes, he deserved to be executed
    La
    +1
    He'd already been convicted >.> Why did it take 27 years to kill him?
  • Mechelle 2011/05/17 22:11:32 (edited)
  • Tigger Too Mechelle 2011/05/17 22:43:35
    Tigger Too
    +1
    I don't approve of denying a convicted man's rights to habeas corpus, especially in death penalty cases, but allowing someone to languish on Death Row for 27 years, on the taxpayers' dime no less, goes beyond the pale. You are correct in saying that this is a gross miscarriage of justice for the victim's family, some of whom likely aren't even around anymore after 27 years. I've noticed that the federal justice and penal system makes short work of condemned prisoners. For example, both John Allen Muhammad {the DC sniper} and Timothy McVeigh were each executed within five years of their convictions. Maybe the state courts can take a page from the federal system and stop the lollygagging when it comes to carrying out executions. Thanks for your comments, and have a great evening!
  • Mechelle Tigger Too 2011/05/17 22:55:47
    Mechelle
    +2
    No thank you. You brought up good examples of quick justice where I had failed. Thank you and have a great evening.
  • historian 2011/05/17 18:53:51
    Other
    historian
    +3
    The better part of America is suffering from media induced dementia.
  • easyeduri~PWCM~JLA 2011/05/17 18:39:33
    Yes, he deserved to be executed
    easyeduri~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    I am concluding he was not in a demented state when he committed this heinous crime. Judging by his intent, to reload and shoot one of his victims multiple times to ensure that she is dead reveals of a person with a motive to kill, and had clear ambitions to accomplish this.

Insanity is an overused defence mechanism in my opinion. It gives lots of trial lawyers more commerce, while keeping them gainfully employed. The government in Ohio that kept him alive for 27 years after his sentencing has a baffling process in taking that long to actually execute this savage.
  • Tigger Too easyedu... 2011/05/17 18:58:16
    Tigger Too
    +1
    Hey, friend! It's good to hear your comments on this subject! I agree with you that most insanity defenses don't pass the smell test. This particular creep's crime was especially abhorrent, in that he "punctuated" his feelings about the girl by blowing away her groin region with a shotgun blast. I agree that 27 years is entirely too long for a condemned man to sit on Death Row. Some of these monsters actually outlive the victims' loved ones, so that they never see justice done in the death of their family member or friend. Insanity pleas are a racket and only benefit the defense attorneys and paid psychiatrists. Our state and federal governments need to find a way to streamline the appeals process for murderers sentenced to death, so that they can dispatch the killers to a well-deserved Hell posthaste. This man got exactly what he deserved. I say good riddance to bad rubbish. Thanks for your remarks, my friend, and have a super day!
  • easyedu... Tigger Too 2011/05/17 19:21:01
    easyeduri~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Good day Tigger. I wonder if the prolonged process was deliberate mechanism to economically justify subsidising paid psychiatrists to come up with the tangent that this savage killer had dementia. If so, then it could conceivably be said that government is attempting to distort the focus and ulterior motives of this monster. In stating so, there may be an attempt to assimilate a false perception of obvious that this person should have had been put down years ago, before such diversionary tangents became an issue.
  • Tigger Too easyedu... 2011/05/17 20:37:39
    Tigger Too
    +2
    You make some excellent points, as usual. This man claimed [I should start talking about him in the PAST tense!] that he couldn't remember committing the murders. I don't remember much about all the years I spent drinking and drugging either, but that doesn't mean they didn't HAPPEN. Alleged dementia was, IMO, not a mitigating factor to commute this killer's death sentence, and the State of Ohio was perfectly justified in executing him. As a matter of fact, I'm not a big fan of using mitigating circumstances to cut criminals a break in the first place, such as a bad upbringing or that the accused was under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. Many people have had horrible childhoods, and others [like myself] have suffered from the ravages of substance abuse, but they don't go out and brutally murder two innocent people and then try to get away with their lives by giving such excuses. I always look forward to hearing your intelligent insights on these things, and I hope you are well, my friend!
  • easyedu... Tigger Too 2011/05/17 20:44:10
    easyeduri~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    I ponder about the relativity in mitigating circumstances as to observe: If he remembers well enough to reload and shoot that second woman several times to ensure her death, then why isn't this tangent assimilated much? As to say, we can sit here and classified dementia in many different definitions. Yes, he was demented and sickly twisted to commit this crime. This is established by his clear motives. At same time, when does it becomes an insanity issue; just because he suddenly doesn't remember, or not wanting to remember? Such defences appear to be lacking concrete process, as there appears to be a hidden grey area that's not being broached on.
  • xXScarlettXx 2011/05/17 18:06:23
    Yes, he deserved to be executed
    xXScarlettXx
    +2
    Well he was probolately in alot of pain because he couldn't be cured, so it would be better for everyone if he was just put out of his misery.
  • Mechelle xXScarl... 2011/05/17 23:01:35
    Mechelle
    +2
    It had not been shown that dementia causes pain. Dementia is a desease that causes one to lose memory and become hard to manage. They act out not knowing why. Not remembering anything of their actions. There are several different side effects. Pain however I have not heard as being one of them.
  • xXScarl... Mechelle 2011/05/18 11:54:09
    xXScarlettXx
    I did not mean phisically, I meant mentally/emotionally. How would you feel if you had dementia and couldn't be cured?
  • Mechelle xXScarl... 2011/05/18 21:38:35
    Mechelle
    Well.....I wouldn't KNOW. That is the whole point. You don't know what is going on nor do you understand what is happening to you. I'm not trying to be rude to you or make you seem stupid. Dementia is a hard thing to understand. If you google it you can get an idea of what its like.
  • xXScarl... Mechelle 2011/05/19 11:48:13
    xXScarlettXx
    shhhh u acting all fancy shmansy
  • Wonder Woman 2011/05/17 17:32:11 (edited)
  • Tigger Too Wonder ... 2011/05/17 17:36:04
    Tigger Too
    +2
    Thanks for your comments. Sociopaths have a moral vacuum, people in which empathy cannot ever be felt.
  • Wonder ... Tigger Too 2011/05/17 17:38:17 (edited)
  • Lea Mirton 2011/05/17 17:28:41
    Other
    Lea Mirton
    +3
    27 years on death row, paid for by the tax payer.
    Why did it take so long?
    It infuriates me, it really does.
  • Tigger Too Lea Mirton 2011/05/17 17:36:23
    Tigger Too
    +1
    I agree. Thanks for your remarks!
  • Tigger Too Pixie·Ÿ... 2011/05/17 17:26:07
    Tigger Too
    +1
    Jeffrey Dahmer trolled for young homosexual men, brought them home, killed them and then ate them. Ted Bundy used his charm and good looks to lure young girls, whom he then tortured and murdered. Recently, an Ohio woman was convicted for cooking her infant in the microwave because she was mad at her boyfriend. Are these the acts of what society would consider "sane" people? No, they are not. IMO, you'd have to be pretty crazy to do such unspeakable things to another human being. However, each one of these monsters knew right from wrong, and their only mental defect was sociopathy.

This Bedford creep was sentenced to death, yet still managed to hang on for another 27 years. Some of his victims' loved ones might not have lived long enough to see justice exacted for their loss. It was obvious that Bedford killed these two people with malice aforethought, and he deserved what he got. Just because he claimed not to remember the incident doesn't mean he didn't do it. Our justice system needs to come up with a process for condemned murderers to go through the appeals process more quickly, thus allowing states to dispatch these monsters to a well-deserved Hell posthaste.

Thanks for your excellent comments, and have a super day!
  • J Montana 2011/05/17 16:45:29
    Yes, he deserved to be executed
    J Montana
    +4
    It's too late now......
  • Tigger Too J Montana 2011/05/17 16:53:49
    Tigger Too
    +3
    You make an excellent point. There are no "do-overs" with executions!
  • J Montana Tigger Too 2011/05/17 16:54:39
    J Montana
    +2
    Sadly...It is true.
  • BAD DOG 2011/05/17 16:08:42
    Yes, he deserved to be executed
    BAD DOG
    +6
    Kill the SOB, he won`t remember it anyway.
  • Tigger Too BAD DOG 2011/05/17 16:14:54
    Tigger Too
    +4
    Dude, that was FUNNY AS HELL!
  • BAD DOG Tigger Too 2011/05/17 16:16:34
    BAD DOG
    +5
    LOL, Thanks.
  • Tigger Too BAD DOG 2011/05/17 16:40:18
    Tigger Too
    +4
    I suppose your remark was what could be considered "gallows humor." [haha]
  • Pixie·Ÿ... Tigger Too 2011/05/17 16:57:56
  • Stonecipher 2011/05/17 16:01:42
    Yes, he deserved to be executed
    Stonecipher
    +4
    When he did the killing, he didn't have dementia. I think exectution is the solution for him and he's no longer a menace to the society. Besides, if he wasn't executed, who would pay he's care?
  • Tigger Too Stoneci... 2011/05/17 16:15:57
    Tigger Too
    +3
    The Ohio taxpayers would have continued paying for this guy to have "three hots and a cot" for the rest of his miserable life, just as they've been doing for the past 27 years.
  • Steve J~PWCM~JLA 2011/05/17 15:57:39 (edited)
    Other
    Steve J~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    I thought that insanity is an overused defense. But, if someone HAS mental issue, treatment and confinement are much more appropriate.
  • Tigger Too Steve J... 2011/05/17 16:19:58
    Tigger Too
    +3
    Hey, Steve! Last week, Bedford's attorneys had asked for clemency, but the Ohio parole Board unanimously recommended AGAINST it, and Governor John Kasich denied clemency. I think the problem here is that, should a person avoid execution just because he's stuck around long enough to GET dementia in the first place? It's a tough call. This is like when the state gives crazy people on Death Row medicine to control their mental diseases, just so they can have their full faculties and thus qualify for execution. Thanks for your comments! How's Tigger and the rest of the critters?
  • Steve J... Tigger Too 2011/05/17 17:33:34
    Steve J~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Surviving. Something that seems to be easier in prison. When he committed the crime did he have dementia? If not them execution may fit. However, if he was sentenced to execution and stuck around long enough to get dementia, maybe THAT's cruel and unusual punishment.
  • Tigger Too Steve J... 2011/05/17 17:38:52
    Tigger Too
    +2
    As usual, you make some excellent comments. Of course, this is a moot point, because the guy is pushing up daisies as we speak. As I've said, there is no 20/20 hindsight or "do-overs" when it comes to executions. Sucks to be him...
  • Steve J... Tigger Too 2011/05/17 17:44:01
    Steve J~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    And the victims.
  • Raver 2011/05/17 15:54:29
    Yes, he deserved to be executed
    Raver
    +2
    do onto others as you want others to do onto you R.I.P

2014/10/21 05:27:45