Should a Charter School Be Able to Require Students to Take a Pregnancy Test?

Fox Report with Shepard Smith 2012/08/08 15:00:00

• Michelle 2012/08/08 23:53:32 (edited)
    Michelle
    +27
    That's ridiculous and demeaning to women. Are they also going to test if the boys have fathered babies?

That's between the girl, her family, the father, and her doctors. Furthermore, this accomplishes nothing but informing the school that the girl is pregnant-- which is irrelevant. Government funded schools that kick girls out if they fail the test are refusing to provide a girl the education she has a right to get?

• ZB Random 2012/08/13 20:15:16
    ZB
    Better than I could come up with.
  • Any Adrianna 2012/08/12 14:38:01
    Any
    +2
    So all women who have sex are no longer entitled to privacy? That's odd. I wonder how your mother, who was once pregnant with you, feels about that.
  • Adrianna Any 2012/08/12 20:12:47
    Adrianna
    Well, my mom waited until she got out of school. Besides, the first line of my post was a joke. Most people would have figured that out when the second one started with "Seriously though." Maybe that is the problem. Perhaps those that did not see my post the way it was intended should have been going to school instead of playing nooky hooky.
  • Any Adrianna 2012/08/17 18:55:37
    Any
    Touche on the "seriously though" part.
    Maybe we're playing hooky because we're all pregnant.
  • Iamfree 2012/08/10 18:31:27
    Iamfree
    +1
    Charter schools are publicly funded, so no. If it were a private school, yes, but only if students knew that possibility would exist before they enrolled.
  • Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2012/08/10 17:03:45
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    Absolutely not.
  • ~Roxy~Navy~Brat~ 2012/08/10 16:59:05
    ~Roxy~Navy~Brat~
    +1
    Why is that even being brought up? Why should it matter if a girl is or not? It really isn't the schools business. If my school were to ask me to take a pregnancy test I would be really insulted & I would refuse.
  • rcardon 2012/08/10 16:30:42
    rcardon
    +2
    They are a publicly funded school, if public schools can't do it, then charter schools shouldn't be able to either. Now, if they were a fully private school, with private funding, and an exclusive waiting list, that might be something different, but they're not.
  • Melody 2012/08/10 16:30:29
    Melody
    They can supply them, but in no way should they enforce them, especially not in a "stop and frisk" manner.
  • harasnicole 2012/08/10 16:10:37 (edited)
    harasnicole
    +3
    What's going to happen to the boys that knocked up these girls, is what I want to know. It takes two to make a baby. These girls aren't carrying the next Jesus.
  • KrisD87 2012/08/10 15:58:19
    KrisD87
    don't know how this could be enforced.
  • whateverbabynevermind 2012/08/10 15:35:20
    whateverbabynevermind
    +3
    I don't understand this obsession everyone has with invading women's bodies. I would like to read the full article, but from the question itself it seems degrading to women. Anyway, if a girl is pregnant, that's hardly the school's business - private or public.
  • PDenoli 2012/08/10 14:21:17 (edited)
    PDenoli
    The choice to send a kid to a charter school is always voluntary. They don't HAVE to go there. That's a key point in terms of what the charter school can and cannot do.

So now the question is whether any organization with voluntary membership can not only require medical screening but also specific medical conditions as a requirement for membership and/or participation. I think the answer is an obvious yes. Otherwise, I could go participate in the special Olympics and nobody could say a thing about it. All sorts of discrimination are perfectly legal when you are dealing with a voluntary choice of association.

Here's the problem - IF the charter school takes public money - and I don't know if this one does or does not - in that case, I believe the government can require (and usually does) require that they embrace non-discriminatory practices across the board. In this situation, I think the charter school would face a choice... they can either keep and keep taking public money, and stop discriminating. OR they can return the money (and pay fines?) and discriminate all they want.

Chances are, if they ever took money that's their business model and they NEED the money and so they'll stop discriminating. So anyway. That's how I think things work, and I think that's how things should work.
  • Sweet-N... PDenoli 2012/08/10 15:52:21
    Sweet-N-Sour
    +3
    All charter schools take public money. That's the definition of charter schools. This would not even be a question if it were a private school as they can do what they want and whatever the parents paying tuition will allow.
  • PDenoli Sweet-N... 2012/08/13 20:31:41
    PDenoli
    Yes and no. For example, I recall a local charter school that did not take public money. The notion that there was some sort of "public" contribution was not in the form of money, but in access to services such as using the existing bus routes... perhaps sports facilities? It was something other than money. I agree it's a red herring, though... I don't know if it matters.

Keep in mind that the full description of a charter includes the concept that they "are not subject to some of the rules, regulations, and statutes that apply to other public schools in exchange for some type of accountability for producing certain results, which are set forth in each school's charter."

So again - it really comes down to the terms of the charter. If they are taking money, I believe the Government *can* insist on non-discriminatory practices. However, some charter schools are permitted discriminatory practices, such as in cases where disabilities, cultural participation, or other religious values are the basis for the charter.

Bottom line from my prior post - I don't know what the terms of the charter are in this case. If you do - please post! The way the school seems to be backing down, it would seem they've overstepped their terms. Otherwise... time will tell.
  • Sonny 2012/08/10 13:06:14
    Sonny
    It would kinda be a good idea, but why I said no is that it would fail miserably, the girls would fake their non-pregnancies all the time, and the school wouldn't know until a baby bump starts to peek out, unless the person waiting for the results is allowed to be in the same room with the student, and I know teen girls like a lot of privacy, I say when the bumb starts to show, it's time to go.
    teen baby bump
  • reid.castillo 2012/08/10 12:27:17
    reid.castillo
    +2
    That would be like an airport requiring pilots to take a virility test. Useless!
  • reid.ca... reid.ca... 2012/08/10 12:27:36
    reid.castillo
    Airline*
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... reid.ca... 2012/08/11 00:27:03
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    The FAA says that pilots shouldn't fly shortly after taking Viagra because it shifts their vision bluish & white runway lights could be confused with blue taxiway lights. Heard this from a Cessna pilot.

Maybe gelding might make the Skies a little safer?
  • Matt 2012/08/10 09:07:15 (edited)
    Not sure
    Matt
    +3
    are they allowed to throw them down a well if the test shows they are no longer virgins? or is that just their campus in iran?
  • tannims 2012/08/10 07:50:10
    tannims
    That's apalling what is the world coming to
  • The Impossible Girl ✿ 2012/08/10 06:57:12
    The Impossible Girl ✿
    +2
    Charter school or not, they have no right to demand that from students.
  • C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT 2012/08/10 06:10:04
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +2
    It's a learning institution, not a medical facility
  • Akes88 2012/08/10 05:37:04
    Akes88
    +3
    Does this school require its male students to prove that they dont have children and practice safe sex? it takes 2 to make a baby and while its none of the schools business they should become equal opportunity offenders
  • JCD aka... Akes88 2012/08/10 12:52:30
    JCD aka "biz"
    +2
    Or maybe the school would fit the boys with chastity belts?
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... JCD aka... 2012/08/11 00:29:22 (edited)
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    Or have them mastubate every day so they're less inclined,
    but with some adolescents this might be needed before every class.
  • JCD aka... ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/08/11 08:19:01
    JCD aka "biz"
    lol
  • Lady 2012/08/10 03:26:52
    Lady
    +3
    it's none of the schools business unless it starts to affect the students grades/work or whatever
  • taylordoesntdeserve 2012/08/10 03:09:43
    taylordoesntdeserve
    +2
    Completely pointless.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... taylord... 2012/08/11 00:31:20
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    They should be watching the "points' more than the 'recesses'.

Take two to make a FETAL mistake.
  • ellomotto 2012/08/10 02:50:41
    ellomotto
    +1
    It's insulting to girls and it's none of the school's business
  • ERide54 2012/08/10 02:36:48
    ERide54
    +1
    Have we not become Socialist enough? What will they want to do next Sterilize? It happened before.
  • NOT14U2 2012/08/10 02:04:49
    NOT14U2
    +1
    sounds stupid .
  • Deep007 2012/08/10 01:40:28
    Deep007
    And charge money to keep out the riff raff
  • Sweet-N... Deep007 2012/08/10 03:53:30
    Sweet-N-Sour
    +1
    Okay now, I have to disagree with you on this one. Since charter schools are public schools that run under a charter, they have no right to do so. Besides, requiring pregnancy testing in particular smacks of Big Brother, I know you are against that! And what exactly would the schools do with that information anyway? It's sort of a moot point since many school districts now offer public, online home school and that is where the girl would go anyway on the taxpayer's dime. Unfortunately, that's the reality. It's sad that so many kids these days are not being raised right that someone feels the need to suggest this.
  • Deep007 Sweet-N... 2012/08/11 20:07:09 (edited)
    Deep007
    gee...a modicum of humor and you jump out of yer wig
  • Be Original 2012/08/10 01:32:30
    Be Original
    it is a online school its like a public school where everyone will see. they are still getting an education trying to get their life together and its not like they dropped out. they are trying
  • Angela Chambers 2012/08/10 00:52:21
    Angela Chambers
    +4
    The only people who need to know if the girl is pregnant is her, her family, and her doctor(s). That's it.
  • Deep007 Angela ... 2012/08/10 01:41:55
    Deep007
    +1
    Just kick the lil whore out whennshe starts to show

2014/09/18 21:55:57