Should 17-Year-Old Get the Death Penalty?

Brace yourself. This story is intense.

Tyler Hadley is a 17-year-old Florida resident who was charged this week with two counts of second degree murder after the bodies of his parents were found hidden away in their house.

Reports are claiming he beat them to death with a hammer, hid the bodies, then threw a house party.

ABC News reports that prosecutors are seeking first degree murder charges, but they don't expect to be able to give him the death penalty because of his age.

If Hadley is charged with two counts of first degree murder, it could land him in prison for life without opportunity for parole.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/US/hammer-murder-teen-face-d...

• John 2011/07/20 19:49:14
    John
    +33
    If he doesn't know the difference between right and wrong, moral and immoral, at 17, he never will.

• sm237 GaolBlaze 2011/08/26 03:53:01
    sm237
    He doesn't understand that beating two people to death with a hammer is something so severe that it's punishable by DEATH. You have to be pulling my leg, this is not a grey area it's murder. Can you imagine the agony these two people suffered while he was killing them. I am sorry this conversation needs to end because I just will never understand how anyone can think that beating someone to death is not wrong and should not be severely punished.
  • GaolBlaze sm237 2011/08/28 00:22:31
    GaolBlaze
    It IS wrong and it SHOULD be severely punished, but people like you have created a huge grey area around murder by promoting the death penalty! What if this poor boy has been taught that murder is wrong, but murder for the death penalty is ok because the people have done something wrong, his parents did something wrong and his brain told him what he had to do was murder them for it? What if he lashed out because he had a severe mental disability? "this is not a grey area it's murder" in your own words. Murder should not be a grey area, but having the death penalty creates one. This boy could very well need special care, not death, and it's cruel of you to suggest such a thing. You say "punishable by DEATH" as if it is such a bad thing, and yet you throw it around. Life is precious, an eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind, you're just causing more pain and upset by murdering this boy, and yet his murder is a good thing and the murders he committed deserve murder in return? That is a grey area I do not accept and you said you don't accept either, and yet you're helping it exist by suggesting this boy be murdered too.
  • sm237 GaolBlaze 2011/08/31 23:23:22
    sm237
    +1
    sorry...we will just have to agree to disagree.
  • steffanitto 2011/08/10 15:30:13
    steffanitto
    I know what he did was wrong but can't they wait till he;s legally an adult.
  • GaolBlaze steffan... 2011/08/25 21:52:38
    GaolBlaze
    But why murder him at all?
  • steffan... GaolBlaze 2011/09/01 18:27:13
    steffanitto
    am just going with the flow.You are right anyway.
  • billols... GaolBlaze 2013/06/16 07:47:57
    billolsen89
    +2
    why not? if any case qualified for the death penalty, it's this one, if the guy is guilty.
  • GaolBlaze billols... 2013/06/17 19:53:36
    GaolBlaze
    Murder is wrong in all cases. Just because someone tells you to take a life doesn't make it right. The death penalty is murder just as much as any other.
  • patty 2011/08/10 15:14:42
    patty
    he he is old enough to do the crime then he is old enough to do the time
  • TRA patty 2011/08/11 04:36:02
    TRA
    +1
    something has gone terribly wrong in these kids life. Casey Anthony has some mental problems server mental problems. I think she knows more, and It has too do with her parents. some how Casey is scared to tell the whole story in fear of her parents. It obvious That casey's parent do not like her. The parents had something to do with it. and This young man, if a 5 year old stabs his baby sister should he get the death penalty? he knows it is wrong.this kid needs some serious help. just killing him may get him away from society, but what about the other children out there that has Mental Illness. should we kill them?
  • patty TRA 2011/08/22 03:02:13 (edited)
    patty
    no i blame it on the govenment when they took the parenting away from the parents there is a big differents in correcting a child and beating one all his parents did was take a game away from him do u think they wanted to die because of it and again why would a 5 year old able to get a holed of a knife in less he had parents that didnt care
  • Death Faerie 2011/08/10 13:01:37
    Death Faerie
    It depends on the situation. Did his parents abuse him? Badly? If this is the case, he should be punished and given help, but not the death penalty.

However, if he just killed his parents because he couldn't have his way, then yes, he should get the death penalty.
  • GaolBlaze Death F... 2011/08/25 21:54:23
    GaolBlaze
    Why? Haven't enough people died already? Especially in that one family? Why keep this endless circle going?
  • Death F... GaolBlaze 2011/08/27 02:09:02
    Death Faerie
    We don't need people like that in our society.
  • GaolBlaze Death F... 2011/08/28 00:32:58
    GaolBlaze
    But aren't you doing the same thing? You say his murders are cruel, and yet you murder him? Why is one murder ok and the other not? How do you know that being told one murder is ok and another is bad is not how he thought this was ok? Or how this whole thing happened? I'm actually disgusted by your comments. "We don't need people like that in our society." It's so cold, cruel and harsh! How you can say that with no apparent shame is just despicable.
  • Death F... GaolBlaze 2011/08/28 17:08:26
    Death Faerie
    Killing INNOCENT people is wrong. If he was abused, killing his parents is wrong, but understandable. I would suggest him being committed and jail time. If he killed his parents just for the fun of it or because he didn't get his way, what's to stop him from killing others? YOU are despicable for caring more for a killer than the innocents. Perhaps you need some prison time for even stating this...what's to stop you from killing the innocent? No matter, I'm blocking your ass now. You are sick.
  • Xerxes 2011/08/10 12:33:10
    Xerxes
    can't do the time, don't do the crime
  • GaolBlaze Xerxes 2011/08/25 21:56:27
    GaolBlaze
    Maybe he doesn't understand. And there is no time, time is one thing. brutal murder is another. Jail, sure, if there's a serious problem, but murder? The reason he's being murdered is he murdered two other people... An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind! Murder is just wrong and it's disgusting that you can try and justify it with your silly little rhyme!
  • Brosia - KarmaRaven 2011/08/10 04:31:19
    Brosia - KarmaRaven
    His age is secondary. He knew what would happen when he beat his parents with a hammer. He knew that they could, and probably would, die. He knew it was wrong because hid the bodies before throwing the party. This was planned, deliberate, and malicious.
  • GaolBlaze Brosia ... 2011/08/25 22:00:28
    GaolBlaze
    But what if he DIDN'T? He could have SERIOUS problems and people like you aren't helping! Maybe hiding the bodies was, in his eyes, cleaning up. Maybe, he was taught "Right and wrong, black and white, no middle ground." and maybe he was taught that "The death penalty doesn't count as murder because it was deserved, the people did something wrong first." He sees his parents doing something "wrong" and he says "They must pay the price, they know right and wrong, I must kill them, it's my duty to my country." or something ridiculous like that. Then, as he was taught, he cleaned up, trying to do the "right" thing. He's sent the wrong message by people justifying murder! And what you're doing by trying to end this poor boy's life can only be called "Planned, deliberate and malicious" murder.
  • tariq alabsi 2011/08/07 14:33:47
    tariq alabsi
    +1
    His dead parents share in what he turned to be, so I think he should be treated, and I am sure the rest of he coming life will be more measurable then killing hem
  • billols... tariq a... 2013/06/16 07:48:56
    billolsen89
    +3
    I'll treat the lovely sweet boy. I'll treat him with strychnine and cyanide.
  • AHP1081 2011/08/07 13:32:28
  • GaolBlaze AHP1081 2011/08/25 22:15:51
    GaolBlaze
    HE'S the animal? Maybe he had that opinion of his parents? Or, more likely, he has a mental problem, doesn't know any better, and deserves love, proper guidance and special care rather than a brutal end to his short, painful, life.
  • AHP1081 GaolBlaze 2011/10/24 15:29:21
  • GaolBlaze AHP1081 2011/10/26 20:08:01
    GaolBlaze
    Ok, I completely agree that he was in the wrong, I just feel you're taking the wrong approach to dealing with it. It's complete hypocricy among other things and you're just blindly saying to kill someone, to end someone's life, and you don't know anything about them, just this one detail. For all you know, it could be manslaughter. All I'm saying is that no-one needs mixed signals and outright cruelty. Show that this is wrong, but not by doing the same back. You don't show a child that hitting is wrong by hitting, you do it by talking. Murder is on a larger scale so the punishment should be too, but violence is NOT the answer and definitely not murder.
  • AHP1081 GaolBlaze 2011/11/07 01:24:48
  • GaolBlaze AHP1081 2011/11/07 17:39:53
    GaolBlaze
    You misunderstood. I don't think I'm more intelligent, I just disagree with the hypocrisy and cruelty. I completely agree that the parents are the victims in this scenario and what their son did WAS cruel. However, he does not need to be called a barbaric animal and what is the cruel act you complain about so much? The act of murder. Of ending a living being's life. So what do you do? You engage in the same act! You do the very same thing and send someone home with a nice fat paycheck! We need to find a way to make people learn, to simply decide that there are no second chances and that this person should just die because there is no way he can in any way improve, to write him off as a lost cause and kill him, that is where the problem is. Tighten security, have people really try and get to know murderers and why they did what they did, find a way to get through to people like this! Prisoners see that they are in jail, now they can do whatever they want, there's nothing worse. We need to sort that out! We need to have levels in jail, a way to be in jail but be learning how to behave in a civilized society. People to learn how to actually get through to murderers. And, if there is no way, if there is someone who truly is a lost cause, then give them a place to stay away from ev...
    You misunderstood. I don't think I'm more intelligent, I just disagree with the hypocrisy and cruelty. I completely agree that the parents are the victims in this scenario and what their son did WAS cruel. However, he does not need to be called a barbaric animal and what is the cruel act you complain about so much? The act of murder. Of ending a living being's life. So what do you do? You engage in the same act! You do the very same thing and send someone home with a nice fat paycheck! We need to find a way to make people learn, to simply decide that there are no second chances and that this person should just die because there is no way he can in any way improve, to write him off as a lost cause and kill him, that is where the problem is. Tighten security, have people really try and get to know murderers and why they did what they did, find a way to get through to people like this! Prisoners see that they are in jail, now they can do whatever they want, there's nothing worse. We need to sort that out! We need to have levels in jail, a way to be in jail but be learning how to behave in a civilized society. People to learn how to actually get through to murderers. And, if there is no way, if there is someone who truly is a lost cause, then give them a place to stay away from everyone else. No-one commits a murder for no reason, and if they do, they have a problem and need to be taken away from society until they can deal with it properly, or else they must stay there. Everyone else can be talked to, reasoned with, and can work up to being civil, it's all a case of education and understanding. You can't stop giving people second chances. Now, I'll admit, if someone DOES commit a murder, I am not in any way saying that they should be released from prison, they must accept the consequences to their actions, but give them something close to society, IN jail. Have a place for murderers who have learned better, so that society doesn't have to worry. Criminals, murderers, rapists, etc. When they are in jail, they don't learn anything, only people who get out know that they don't want to go back, but while they're there, there's nothing GOOD that they learn, they don't have to bother, they're already in jail, they misbehave, there's nothing worse. Give them a jail where they can really use their time, learn, improve, don't just give up on them because they do something wrong. Killing them won't bring back the dead person/people. Hurting them won't make the hurt they've caused go away.
  • AHP1081 GaolBlaze 2011/11/14 16:37:38
  • GaolBlaze AHP1081 2011/11/20 20:25:20
    GaolBlaze
    An eye for an eye is never the answer. I don't feel sitting down and chastising these people is the answer either, they definitely need a life sentence. I just feel that there is a lot of learning to be done for everyone, and why ignore that and instead end a person's life? There must be something going on in a murderer's head that makes them do this, and discussing that and getting to the root could lead to understanding how to avoid future murders. I don't see how saying someone being uncivilized means they cannot be near civilization any more, that gives them no motivation to learn. If we have levels, we could rehabilitate people. Most people never want to go near jail after going once, and these people can never leave, so why not, instead of forgetting about them or killing them, create a mock-civilization for people who try hard and co-operate, and for those who don't, they can stay in the JAIL jail. All living beings respond to 'Carrot and Stick', why are we neglecting the carrot bit? We are taking away someone's life, whether by physically murdering them, or by locking them up forever, either way, this person isn't learning a thing, and so we will always look on them as evil beings. There is always time for redemption, and nothing can ever make these people undo what th...
    An eye for an eye is never the answer. I don't feel sitting down and chastising these people is the answer either, they definitely need a life sentence. I just feel that there is a lot of learning to be done for everyone, and why ignore that and instead end a person's life? There must be something going on in a murderer's head that makes them do this, and discussing that and getting to the root could lead to understanding how to avoid future murders. I don't see how saying someone being uncivilized means they cannot be near civilization any more, that gives them no motivation to learn. If we have levels, we could rehabilitate people. Most people never want to go near jail after going once, and these people can never leave, so why not, instead of forgetting about them or killing them, create a mock-civilization for people who try hard and co-operate, and for those who don't, they can stay in the JAIL jail. All living beings respond to 'Carrot and Stick', why are we neglecting the carrot bit? We are taking away someone's life, whether by physically murdering them, or by locking them up forever, either way, this person isn't learning a thing, and so we will always look on them as evil beings. There is always time for redemption, and nothing can ever make these people undo what they did, but why should we not even give them a chance? If we work through their mental block, we could get them to be better people. Everyone has a good side, no matter how deeply buried, why should we neglect that? Lots of murderers have friends, family, people who love them, what are we doing to them? It's more than just blowing out a candle, it's blowing out one candle, and cutting a chunk out of tonnes of others. An eye for an eye doesn't work when you don't just hurt the criminal. Obviously, there are some people who won't work with it, but all we can do is try.
  • Michelle Enriquez 2011/08/04 22:30:00
    Michelle Enriquez
    +3
    I personally am not in favor of the death penalty, however I think there needs to be a commitment/sentancing which is identical to death row specifically for cases like this where they are isolated forever, but don't get put to death, no possibility of getting out. At this time there is a huge gap in my oppinion between high security and death row. Some people belong on death row without the eventual ending of their life. Not that they don't deserve it, just that in my oppinion that's not our choice to make.
  • George Worley 2011/08/04 16:24:03
    George Worley
    I am for the death penalty but his age gives me problems.
  • martalucialovesmj4ever 2011/08/04 08:46:14
    martalucialovesmj4ever
    I THINK HE SHOULD GET A LIFE SENTENCE.
    THIS A DOUBLE STANDARD IN MY OPINION

CASEY ANTHONY WAS FOUND NOT GUILTY FOR KILLING HER LITTLE GIRL VERY SAD
    THAT SHE IS GOING TO WALK AROUND SCOTT FREE .

CONRAD MURRAY HAS BEEN WALKING AROUND WITH OUT A CARE THIS IS
    SICK THEY ALL THREE SHOULD GET LIFE IN PRISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Michell... martalu... 2011/08/04 22:38:30
    Michelle Enriquez
    +1
    Yes, Casey Anthony, makes me sick. As disturbing as this boy sounds, we really don't know his past what led him to hate his parents so
    much, or if mental illness is involved, however there is no excuse for Casey Anthony, killing her own child is just disgusting and unimagionable, and she can just go out and have more. I'm not saying this boy isn't seriously deranged because clearly he is, but there is no reason in the world that should make any parent want to kill a healthy child. I'm not saying it's ok to kill an unhealthy child, just that If a child is in chronic extreem pain that is not expected to get better that could drive a parent mad.
  • AHP1081 Michell... 2011/08/07 14:21:55
  • Michell... AHP1081 2011/10/12 04:39:03
    Michelle Enriquez
    Being opposed to the death penalty is not why the jury let her go free. First, I highly doubt that everyone on the jury was opposed to the death penalty. Death penalty opponents are a minority. I don't think one or two people on the jury opposed to the death penalty would convince all the others not to convict based on that alone. Second, if the jury's verdict is guilty, they have option to recommend life in prison or the death penalty, but ultimately it is the judge's decision.
  • AHP1081 Michell... 2011/10/24 15:15:20
  • Bubble gum 2011/08/03 23:27:08
    Bubble gum
    wtf! A 17 year old SHOULD NOT get the death penalty!!Even for this crime!
  • AHP1081 Bubble gum 2011/08/07 13:47:12
  • Sophia Bubble gum 2011/11/14 16:34:08
    Sophia
    +2
    Seriously? He's 17 he knows right from wrong.. Plus if he would commit murder at 17 he would probably do it again. This person is not a child and should pay for his actions.

2015/08/01 01:37:38