She poured kerosene over her body and reached for the matches

millermedia 2012/09/12 21:04:49
I will pray for these women
I will contact Gospel for Asia to see how I can help
I could care less

Saachi slowly poured the kerosene over her body. The matchbox was sitting just inches away. The horror of what she was about to do didn't deter her; she deserved this. Soaked through, she reached for the matches. The time had come to say goodbye.

August 2012

The Picture-Perfect Family

Just a few years before, Saachi's life seemed perfect. Her husband Udit was respected as a military officer, and his generous income from the government provided more than enough to keep their two small children secure and sheltered.

Saachi had a beautiful family, and all was going well. But lately, something had changed in her husband's manner, and she couldn't figure out what it was.

A Marriage Begins To Unravel

This new routine did not thrill Saachi; money Udit once gave her in abundance had slowly decreased, until he finally stopped giving her anything at all. Saachi's previous attempts at asking had ended in painful beatings, but she had no other choice. The children were hungry, and it was Udit's duty to provide for them. She was reduced to begging from her own husband.

As Saachi reminded Udit of the needs of their children, he grew irate and came at her, swinging his fists. As the blows landed, she cowered and tried to make sense of it all.

Then one day he disappeared. The truth finally came out that he was having an affair, and now he had moved in with the other woman. Devastated, Saachi sunk into despair. She wept bitterly, but had no one to turn to. The children were frightened without their father, and Saachi had to figure out a way to provide for them. She found a job at a garment factory, knowing that the small income would help keep them alive.

Engulfed By Shame

Saachi had no idea why her husband was acting differently, but the truth would soon come to light.

Engulfed By Shame

The feelings of shelter and security were replaced by fear and hunger for Udit and Saachi's young children.

Now Deserted; Abuse Continues

Beauty isn't normally a curse, but Saachi's beauty brought her problems with the men at her new job. She was continually accosted and it left her with little dignity. Finally though, she accepted one man's advances. Their love affair was short-lived as Saachi realized this would negatively affect her family. If this new man would not accept her children, what would happen to them?

Refusing to put her children at risk, she broke off the affair. As the realization hit her of what she had done, Saachi began to hate herself. She couldn't live with the knowledge of her actions, and her thoughts condemned her. Suicide was the verdict. She did not deserve to live.

She Thought Death Would Solve Her Problems

Saachi set down the now empty kerosene bottle. In a few moments it would all be over—the guilt, the shame, the pain. She struck the match, its small flame sizzled, and before she allowed herself to change her mind, she let it drop.

As the flames enveloped her, the pain was unbearable and Saachi started to scream. The neighbors heard her cries, hurried over and rescued her. But her burns were already extensive. She was immediately taken to a hospital.

Someone Understood Saachi's Pain

Jabeen, a Gospel for Asia-supported woman missionary, heard about Saachi and her heart ached for the poor woman. As more of the story circulated, Jabeen could understand Saachi's pain.

Jabeen had grown up in a nominal Christian home. A few years after her wedding, she too learned that her husband had been involved in an affair. Like Saachi, she was devastated. But God led her to a pastor who shared with her about the love of Jesus. She finally made her childhood faith her own and chose to follow Christ. Later, God called her to serve Him full-time, and her life had never been the same. Jabeen knew that Saachi needed to hear her testimony.

Engulfed By Shame

Saachi's story of pain and betrayal struck a chord with a Gospel for Asia-supported woman missionary, Jabeen, who had experienced a similar tragedy in her own life.

Finding Hope in Missionary's Story

As Jabeen stood beside Saachi's hospital bed sharing her story, she told Saachi about Jesus and how precious her life was to Him. Saachi didn't need to pay for her sins; Jesus already did. Saachi wept as she realized that this man, this God, would never be unfaithful to her or abuse her. He loved her perfectly.

Three weeks later, Saachi was released from the hospital and decided to go to church. There, she made a decision to fully accept the love of Jesus.

Engulfed By Shame
Engulfed By Shame

The scars from Saachi's burns remain, but God is healing the scars on her heart. She has found a job that helps support her and her children's needs. Her friendship with Jabeen continues, and they stay in touch. She knows that God sent Jabeen along when she needed her most.

Gospel for Asia women missionaries like Jabeen can minister in ways men can't. Understanding the struggles of other women in Asia as they visit homes and hospitals, they are able to share the Gospel with those in need of hope.

Please help tell these women that they are precious to God.

• princess_kelly 2012/09/15 08:29:43
    I will pray for these women
    princess_kelly
    +1
    that so sad
    I will pray for these women
    +2
    THANK you for sharing this story ..
    I will look up the ministry and do what I can ..
    truly is awful indeed ..
    that there's so much violence in the world ..
    and so many who abandon their families ..

(I'll also pray for Saachi that her heart be mended and she find peace .. )
  • Swampdog PWCM 2012/09/14 01:24:49
    I will pray for these women
    Swampdog PWCM
    +3
    How sad.
  • Joe--PWCM 2012/09/13 16:49:04
    I could care less
    Joe--PWCM
    Honestly, who really cares? Husbands and wives leave eachother everyday all over the world and here. Some cheat and kill themselves or their spouse and kids etc.

If you worried about all these problems everywhere around the world everyday it would be very depressing. Especially since we have more than enough problems to worry about in our own neighborhoods and cities and state and country.

Clean up your house before you worry about others...
  • Jeremy 2012/09/13 14:16:00
  • Bill 2012/09/13 03:12:37
    I will pray for these women
    Bill
    +3
    I already support one missionary through GFA. It isn't much but it is what I can afford, so I will be praying for these women. My God, My Jesus is amazing!
  • TheR 2012/09/13 01:17:58
    I will pray for these women
    TheR
    +3
    How does that saying go? Sh*t Happens. To everyone I think. Her husband gave up on her despite having two of his own from her. Now that is so terrible. But to think she should hurt herself, because of her husbands sins, is indeed sad.

People need to learn not to hurt themselves because of someone else s sins. And although she no longer got support from him, she needed to rely on herself and not seek other men for her help.

You know it is not a fair world. I married a woman who was a widow and had two children who needed help. And I helped them for 8 years. But it did not work out, because she was more interested in how to cheat me, by stealing the house I bought when we got married. Only a year later to file divorce, in which she worked with my boss, whom we bought the house from. He fired me from my job, hoping I would just leave.

Well I did not leave, got a lawyer and won the Law case. Even without any money.

There is God. There are reasons we have pain, and that is to learn, and later thank God for coming to our rescue, and finding our real friends.

I pray that people, especially families respect each other, and help one another, instead of taking advantage.
  • Bill TheR 2012/09/13 03:14:35
    Bill
    +1
    Go and read the story again. She didn't hurt herself because of her husband's sin.
  • TheR Bill 2012/09/13 03:44:34 (edited)
    TheR
    +2
    She wanted to commit suicide, because her husband left her. He cheated on her, that was his sin.
  • Bill TheR 2012/09/13 12:12:25 (edited)
    Bill
    What I read was that her sin was seeing or dating another man. This woman was also not Christian so we are not talking about sin as a Christian would see it.
  • TheR Bill 2012/09/13 12:26:51
    TheR
    +2
    She was seeing another man, after her husband left her for another woman. She was a victim of her husbands sin, and the pain made her want to commit suicide. Yeah there are a lot of people who are not Christian, or don't know about God really. That is why Mitt Romney would be better being President of the Missionaries in the LDS Church and bring some real help to the world.
  • Bill TheR 2012/09/13 18:16:50
    Bill
    Way to turn this into something political and way to stay on topic!

She is a victim huh? I suppose, in the same way we are all victims of the sin of Adam and Eve
  • TheR Bill 2012/09/13 23:51:59
    TheR
    +1
    Funny I do not recall Adam cheating on Eve. And congratulations you just won my blocked Award, for your insults.
  • Vanessa Rizalyn Camara 2012/09/13 01:10:49
    I will pray for these women
    Vanessa Rizalyn Camara
    +3
    for we are a children of God we don't have the right to kill ourselves for any reason...God gave us trials it's only for us to know and choose which way to walk atto find the answer.Be strong,Have Faith and stay Have Fear in God.God Bless Us All.And i' happy you find the way thru him....
  • jcadla 2012/09/12 22:45:54
    I will pray for these women
    jcadla
    +3
    This is a wonderful story of a poor, dejected woman who could not cope,-for her, there was no one to turn to. And the other woman who helped this young woman find God, a merciful Creator. People who wonder about things, like religions, can learn a lot from this story. Bless these women. For myself, I would not judge a Christian or non-Christian or atheist... not anyone except Muslims, of course, who want us dead.
    I'll just say, Jesus is my Lord and Savior and gives me someone to turn to,-if I cannot handle things and have no where else to go.
    Great post...
  • Bill jcadla 2012/09/13 03:19:39 (edited)
    Bill
    Where in scripture does it say of is ok to judge Muslims? I think it says love your enemy.

Of course I am assuming that you are a Christ follower, if not then then please ignore.
  • Lerro DeHazel 2012/09/12 21:32:00
    Lerro DeHazel
    This sounds like some kind of Sex Novel . . .
  • Huki68 2012/09/12 21:17:32
    I will pray for these women
    Huki68
    +3
    May God Bless you and give you strenth, bless the people who are in your world now to help you to understand the love of God
  • Transquesta 2012/09/12 21:12:43
    I will pray for these women
    Transquesta
  • FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX 2012/09/12 21:12:04
    I could care less
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    Its been done before. Psychos come in all flavors.
  • Huki68 FAWKES'... 2012/09/12 21:15:48
    Huki68
    +4
    until you have walked her choes please don't judge her...
  • FAWKES'... Huki68 2012/09/12 21:44:50
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    People who kill themselves are losers. I could care less.
  • fuzzy K... FAWKES'... 2012/09/12 21:32:44 (edited)
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +3
    Don't you liberals claim that it's conservatives who have no compassion? I guess that it's just projection.
    Thanks for showing us your TRUE nature.
  • FAWKES'... fuzzy K... 2012/09/12 21:45:05
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
  • Huki68 FAWKES'... 2012/09/12 22:00:46 (edited)
    Huki68
    +3
    she still alive, but someone that commits suicide you will never know their last thought, so you should not judge and for your information they are not losers, the ones who break them are losers, something have happened to you, for you to act this way.. That is why you are so full of hate
  • fuzzy K... FAWKES'... 2012/09/13 13:26:30
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +1
    Really?
    How sympathetic and caring.
    You must be miserable.
  • Defend ... fuzzy K... 2012/09/12 23:12:42
    Defend Western Civlization
    +1
    do you know where this happened?
  • fuzzy K... Defend ... 2012/09/13 13:39:12
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +2
    I checked Gospel for Asia's site and they say they work in South Asia.
    http://www.gfa.org/about/who-...
    That would be India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Bhutan, and thereabouts.

2014/09/30 06:19:32