Secularism Liberalism Atheism is half the country becoming totally devoid of god?

iamnothere 2012/02/08 20:24:33
In the liberal world of political correctness, I guess the motto is
"Offend the Masses." To these liberal elites, it's much better to
support a complainer than to take a stand and support the majority.
That's exactly what's going on with the Air Force after a group of
atheists complaining about a patch that includes a Latin reference to
God. The Air Force's response was not to tell them to take a hike.
Instead, they changed the patch.

So we are removing symbols that denote our belief in god..

Cannot pray in public
Cannot pray in Schools
Cannot pray in a court for justice
Cannot pray in DC where if there were any place that we need gods help it is here ..

Without god there are no morals there are no ethics.

Around the world as we the people of the world demand that others take god out of our lives we are seeing the destruction of entire societies. From the Amazon Basin to the Mid East. To the Court of public opinion here in the US to the Liberal Progressiveism that we see with the collapse of many currencies to one size fits all mentality where no one is willing to hold their tongues but will bash those who do believe.

The left tend to be godless and are proud that they are.. and demand that the rest of those who actually do believe and do pray should tow their line. The are no better than book burning Nazis.

• Trouble 2012/02/08 20:38:34
    Trouble
    +8
    Our culture is being changed. Traditional institutions have been pelted by leftwing ideologues.

• BryanCUFF 2012/05/01 22:48:52
    BryanCUFF
    "Without god there are no morals there are no ethics. " this is not true.. People who clain to be religious are no more moral than people who don't. Morality and religion are not the same thing and you do not need one to have the other.
  • iamnothere BryanCUFF 2012/05/02 13:42:22
    iamnothere
    you assume that everyone is raised in a vacuum .. the comment here is that there are serious problems that people have with failure to moral and ethical.. we see so much that disturbs us about big businesses.. in my view they act immorally and often unethically.. Many of these folks do not keep god in their lives.. if they did they would would not being the things that they do.. It is even worse if you toss government waistrals into the mix
  • BryanCUFF iamnothere 2012/05/02 17:51:02
    BryanCUFF
    +1
    I've seen just as much unethical and immoral behavior from people you claim to be religious. Religious people can be immoral and unethical and non-religious people can be ethical and moral. You assume religion is required for moral behavior but experiential reality shows that this is not true.
  • iamnothere BryanCUFF 2012/05/02 20:21:38 (edited)
    iamnothere
    cannot disagree.. it galls me to see people who are all pious on sunday and then do all manner of questionable things the rest of the week Religion is just the guideposts.. it is always up the individual.. we are all human.. though I do wonder about some LOL
  • Aes Sedai 2012/04/30 21:38:16
    Aes Sedai
    "Cannot pray in public
    Cannot pray in Schools"

That is total crap and you know it. There is no law against either of those, especially not for public. And no one said anything about not being allowed to pray in school. It's just that teachers can't lead a prayer in class. That's what Catholic schools are for.

"Without god there are no morals there are no ethics."
    You have no empirical evidence for this whatsoever. Both Norway and Japan (nations with high atheist population) have lower crime rates than the U.S. or Italy (high population of Christian and capital of the Roman Catholic church, respectively).

"Around the world as we the people of the world demand that others take god out of our lives we are seeing the destruction of entire societies. From the Amazon Basin to the Mid East. "
    What are you talking about? God is a tremendously powerful presence in the Middle East. The majority of the Middle East is Islamic....I thought everyone knew that. So if anything, according to the idea that God being in the lifeblood of a country automatically means a nation spared from destruction, the Middle East should be doing fine.

To conclude, I fail to see where you get the idea that all liberals are atheists, all atheists are liberals, all Christians are conservatives, and all conservatives are Christians. That is simply not true.
  • iamnothere Aes Sedai 2012/04/30 23:28:11
    iamnothere
    only you mention ALL .. the word was tend..
  • Aes Sedai iamnothere 2012/05/01 02:28:58
    Aes Sedai
    That's not true either. Most liberals are Christian, or at least believe in some form of deity. Atheists make up less than 15% of the U.S. population, and there are certainly more liberals than that.
  • iamnothere Aes Sedai 2012/05/02 13:57:19
    iamnothere
    liberals tend not to be christian as much as athiest, secularists, and agnostics. It continues to be brought home daily just how strong the ideas of statism rather than believe in god is rearing its head daily.. Why do you think this country is so screwed by our government?
  • Aes Sedai iamnothere 2012/05/02 23:42:20
    Aes Sedai
    okey bud.
  • Katherine 2012/03/16 09:22:00 (edited)
    Katherine
    +1
    Yes, traditionally, socialist countries are nearly devoid of God. With communism, it's entirely gone. You can track where we are on the political spectrum by how much Judao-Christianity is or isn't in our society. Think about it.
  • iamnothere Katherine 2012/03/16 10:39:23
    iamnothere
    +1
    I have
  • zeldamaster17 2012/03/16 02:54:50
    zeldamaster17
    +3
    Let's hope America becomes godless, then maybe the people will open their eyes.. I don't think you shouldn't pray, I think children shouldn't be forced to pray in school, or their shouldn't be public prayer in public places where everyone is called to pray. I find it particularly offensive that in America it is assumed most of the time that you are christian.
  • iamnothere zeldama... 2012/03/16 10:41:16
    iamnothere
    gee wondering what country you should consider moving to.. since you believe in nothing..

Atheism is a disease of the mind when one replaces it with the god of socialism
  • zeldama... iamnothere 2012/03/16 22:34:59
    zeldamaster17
    +1
    Yeah, I'm not atheist. I love how you assume I'm atheist because I'm not Christian :P I'm agnostic.
  • iamnothere zeldama... 2012/03/16 22:40:39
    iamnothere
    nice that you just dont give a damn LOL
  • zeldama... iamnothere 2012/03/16 23:42:31
    zeldamaster17
    Yep.
  • E Pluribus Unum 2012/02/23 10:28:34
    E Pluribus Unum
    +1
    No need to panic people, humans are still as prone to magical superstitious thinking as ever and evolution is a very slow process. There will be plenty of gods to love and fear, lake monsters, yetis and ghosts to hunt, pixies, tooth fairies and unicorns to chase and a plentiful supply of aliens to probe you while you sleep.

That noise you just heard? It must have been some one or some thing.... and you know.... it has a plan for you.

No worries. Religion is in no danger. Will be fun to see what sort of nuttiness the human imagination cooks up next. Mormonism and Scientology set the bar pretty high, but the fearful human mind knows know limits and surely will enshrine this new century's insecurities in some amazing and clever new dogmas designed to keep reason at bay and reality safely on the other side of the distortion field.

Gosh, I sort of hope there is alway just a little religion to keep things interesting. When the religiolous are endangered species we may need a captive breeding program or something... Then you can worry but it's probably tens of thousands of years in the future.
  • Curmudgeon 2012/02/17 20:46:05
    Curmudgeon
    +1
    The idea that without god(s) in our lives that we would have no morals is laughable at best, as it's funny how many faith across human history have made the claim that life without (enter your god here _______) in it is immoral.

Something I always wonder is if most believers actually mean what they say. I know that I REALLY believed that an invisible god was next to me at all times I am absolutely sure that I would never so much as jaywalk or make faces behind my bosses back when he nags me to do something. This strange disconnect between belief and behavior makes me wonder if only the true believers are fanatics who go to extreme lengths to live their lives to the letter of their tenets.

As something else, if non belief in gods leads to immorality, than what about the many, many believers who have committed extraordinary crimes?

Francisco Pizarro, Saddam Hussein, Ted Bundy, Omar al - Bashir (Sudan's dictator responsible for the Darfur), Hernando Cortez, Pope Urban II ( Launched the crusades), and Jeffery Dahmer were all believers. Do they prove that belief in a god motivates or causes immoral behavior? As well, virtually all the guards and officers that ran the Nazi death camps were Christian.

As much in the same fashion that evil believer don't prove gods are false,...

As much in the same fashion that evil believer don't prove gods are false, evil atheists do not prove that gods are real.

And how about people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet who are atheists and actively give to charities to help people without a god to prod them into action?
  • Brendan Mcdonald 2012/02/10 02:10:53
    Brendan Mcdonald
    +2
    Cannot pray in public
    Cannot pray in Schools
    Cannot pray in a court for justice
    Cannot pray in DC where if there were any place that we need gods help it is here

Wrong you can pray in public as long as you are not holding a religious event on government land.

Yes you can't pray in public schools, government offices, government area's in DC....and you shouldn't

Please read the first amendment a little better. the government cannot favor, disfavor any religion one over the other, or establish an offical religion. The government dose this not just to protect people from religious faith of others being forced on them, it also seperates religion from government for the protection of religious freedom.

I am a athiest but i have no problem with religion or personal faith most athiest feel this way. Your own religious faith is your bussiness, but to try to shove religion into government and government run programs is wrong. Let people if they have faith pratice it of their own free will at their hous of worship and keep it out of government. Just because I am an athiest dose not mean I hav no morals or ethics, I believe all human life is precious, I've never physicaly attacked anyone nor would I ever unless they came at me, and love is a very powerful thing that once you find someone you love should be treasured forever if you can.
  • E Pluri... Brendan... 2012/02/23 10:03:56
    E Pluribus Unum
    Beautifully said!
  • Brendan... E Pluri... 2012/02/23 20:06:47
    Brendan Mcdonald
    Thank you :)
  • bettyboop 2012/02/10 00:15:08
    bettyboop
    +1
    I think there are many more people who do not believe in God than ever before. I have had people even saw hateful things to me because I am a believer. To each his/her own is what I say.
  • seathanaich 2012/02/09 23:56:52
    seathanaich
    "The Air Force's response was not to tell them to take a hike. Instead, they changed the patch."

Yes, that's what you do when you're not an ass.

You should start by learning what secularism, liberalism, and atheism are. They're not related or dependent upon each other.

Secularism is belief that the state should be separate from religion(s). Even some religious people are intelligent enough to figure out that this is a good thing.

Liberalism is the belief that increasing freedom for individuals is a positve thing.

Atheism is the absence of belief in gods.

In my country, 25% now say "no" when asked "do you believe in God?" This is wonderful news, demonstrating that people are discarding the superstition of previous generations.

In my country, only 48% say "yes" when asked "do you believe in heaven?" Again, this is wonderful news, demonstrating that people are increasingly realising that claims about various afterlives made by religion are not based upon any evidence.

In your country, the numbers aren't that high yet, but they are trending in the same direction. This is a very positive change.

This is such a stupid thing to claim that it's hard to know where to begin. Do you even know what morals and ethics are? This claim indicates that you do not.
  • iamnothere seathan... 2012/02/10 03:11:01
    iamnothere
    +1
    liberalism and fascism walk hand in hand

secularism at this point is the belief that government is far better at doing anything over what an individual can and will do in his own best interest

as to without god there are no morals.. or ethics.. stop and consider where people actually learn these..
  • seathan... iamnothere 2012/02/10 23:52:54
    seathanaich
    "liberalism and fascism walk hand in hand"

This comment indicates ignorance or dishonesty on your part. That being the case, it's not a surprise that intelligent conversation is impossible with you.

"stop and consider where people actually learn these.."

From interacting with other humans. You seem completely unaware of this.
  • iamnothere seathan... 2012/02/11 01:48:08
    iamnothere
    +1
    if you believe that the two do not go hand in hand.. you really should read a lot more history that has not been rewritten by the progressives
  • seathan... iamnothere 2012/02/15 19:41:17
    seathanaich
    Since you don't know what simple words mean, it's hardly a surprise that your opinions are as screwed up as they are.
  • Patsy 2012/02/09 20:15:08
    Patsy
    +1
    Yes, I think half the country is turning away from God. I also think we are in BAD BAD trouble. Our nanny government is anti God and a lot of the time we hear blasphemy from our so called public servants.
  • Radical Ed 2012/02/09 18:10:53
    Radical Ed
    problem? i see none, people believe what they want.
  • baboula 2012/02/09 17:41:29
    baboula
    +1
    any country devoid of a god other than the government is doomed to ensllave their people in poverty and ignorance.
  • Bikermike 2012/02/09 15:39:46 (edited)
    Bikermike
    To liberals the statement, 'Congress shall make no laws' somehow reads 'the Judicial system must'
  • Bastion 2012/02/09 15:00:46
    Bastion
    +4
    "The Air Force's response. . . . they changed the patch."

Isn't American Religious Freedom GREAT?

"Without god there are no morals there are no ethics"

Right there is where you demonstrate that you have no idea.

" no better than book burning Nazis" - the perfect ending to a perfectly wrong post. Thanks, Godwin!
  • Obviously a Terrorist 2012/02/09 08:17:15
    Obviously a Terrorist
    +4
    Without God there are no Morals? no ethics? Socrates wrote of virtues and ethics around 400 BCE, so did Plato(his student) of whom the Christian philosopher St. Augustine(400 CE[or AD if you can't understand anything without your bible]) CREATED the common Christian code of ethics. Perhaps you find the Spanish Inquisition to be moral? What about the Conquistadors? if you noticed both of these events came from an overzealous christian community and were touted for their pious nature. How about the Crusades? or in a more contemporary setting, where do you think the morals and ethics of the Westboro Baptist Church are derived from? Morals and Ethics should be derived from the rational reflection of abstract principals not because some book written by someguy with ulterior motives says God talked to me.
  • iamnothere Obvious... 2012/02/09 14:41:13
    iamnothere
    +1
    all of these examples you site are amoral and indicate the lack of following the teachings of the bible
  • seathan... iamnothere 2012/02/09 23:58:15
    seathanaich
    +2
    What blind rubbish. They are examples of what following the Bible leads leads people to do.
  • redhorse29 2012/02/09 08:01:43
    redhorse29
    +3
    Yes. The wealthy liberal progressive movement has long sought to destroy any belief in a higher power. The objective is to replace religion with government. Replace the Ten Commandments and religious isms with regulations and laws.
  • angelbaby 2012/02/09 06:36:37
    angelbaby
    +3
    It sadly is
  • mike j 2012/02/09 05:40:44
    mike j
    +3
    NO, but if you let the news media become your default brain (as what they want you to do), then you can be led to believe anything. America and its Citizens are a nation that loves and believes in God and the standard is the Holy Bible. Just drive thru America and see the Churches and on Sunday look at the cars in the Church parking lot , Check with the FBC of Dallas , they are having to build a larger building . God is here in America , and America is with God, it is the news media and their thrill stories that would have you think otherwise . Believe in your own good sense and what you can see with your eyes.
  • talking jaguar 2012/02/09 05:40:10
    talking jaguar
    +2
    God is in you. More and more people are turning away from a particular religion. Many are finding that God may be the answer but not religions. I pray, but it can be anywhere I want. I do not feel the need to to it out loud.
  • Batman 2012/02/09 05:24:34
    Batman
    +2
    "I think therefore I am."

A famous line spoken only after Descartes doubted everything...including his own life.

Sometimes you have to doubt first, before you believe. Even Paul hunted Christians first before becoming the most significant evangelist of Christ.

let nature take its course.

2014/08/01 13:54:34