SCOTUS Upholds Individual Mandate!!!!

ProudProgressive 2012/06/28 14:17:45
CBS News is reporting that in a five to four decision authored by Chief Justice John Roberts the Supreme Court has upheld the right of Congress to impose a requirement that all Americans have health insurance or pay a penalty under the Congress' taxing powers. Details are still coming in. It appears that the Court has also struck down the requirement that States expand their Medicaid coverage.

Here is a link to the full opinion of the Court:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/11-393c3a2.pdf

More to come. What do you think?

(Image courtesy ThinkProgress)

dfgdfgdfgdfg

• CAROLYN... EdVenture 2012/06/29 02:45:51
  • LindaM EdVenture 2012/06/29 02:55:20
    LindaM
    +5
    Gosh, that brings back memories. Lol
  • wicked soda boy 2012/06/29 01:37:02
    wicked soda boy
    +2
    O-blamer is now toast in November, thanks to this lame decision by the supremes.
    A one-termer, who almost makes Jimmy Carter look like a semi-decent POTUS.
    The "silent majority" won't be silent this time.
  • JaguarS... wicked ... 2012/06/29 01:59:12
    JaguarSocialist
    +3
    I agree; they'll be voting for Obama.
  • RS 2012/06/29 00:32:37
    RS
    +2
    No Mit Romney is going to save the country and tank this Tax about 24 hours after he is elected.
  • ProudPr... RS 2012/06/29 00:47:26
    ProudProgressive
    +4
    Well, since Romney doesn't have a chance of being elected, I don't think he'll get the opportunity to take health care away from 30 million people he expects to vote for him anyway.
  • RS ProudPr... 2012/06/29 03:42:58
    RS
    +3
    Considering 61% of the Americain populace wanted this TAX to be killed, I am not so sure. Had you asked me yesterday if Romney would win...I would have said no. Now I am sure he will. the best thing that happened to Romney was Obama winning today. Dick Morris feels Obama should have prayed for the law to be struck down.
  • LarryFine RS 2012/06/29 12:30:43
    LarryFine
    +2
    Somehow, I think Roberts knew this. Now, Obama can not play the victim. He has to defend this nightmare.
  • ProudPr... RS 2012/06/29 15:53:17
    ProudProgressive
    LOL if you're going to rely on the toe sucker it's inevitably going to lead you astray. The only reason most opponents oppose the law is that President Obama proposed it. Republicans actually SUPPORT most of the provisions in the bill, and now that they know the law is going to go into effect they will drop their Obama hatred long enough to realize that he just made their lives significantly better, and that Romney will only cause them pain and suffering.

–Reuters/Ipsos found that 80 percent of self-identified Republicans support the idea of healthcare exchanges — pooling health insurance and distributing it among recipients to get lower group rates.

–Around 52 percent of Republicans like the idea of forcing corporations to offer health insurance plans to employees.

–The same percentage of Republicans support allowing young people to stay on their parents’ insurance until age 26.

–Nearly 60 percent of Republicans support that idea of government subsidies to help middle and working class families pay for health insurance.

–The pre-existing conditions language in the law? A massive 78 percent of registered we-hate-Obamacare Republicans support that part of the law.

In other words, Republicans — more so than the rest of the population — hate the law, but love everythi...

In other words, Republicans — more so than the rest of the population — hate the law, but love everything in the law.

By the way, independent swing voters? They support the above provisions by nearly unanimous margins — in the 70 and 80 percentile range.
  • JaguarS... RS 2012/06/29 01:58:58
    JaguarSocialist
    +4
    Romney can't end the tax by himself; damn, conservatives don't understand the constitution.
  • RS JaguarS... 2012/06/29 03:40:58 (edited)
    RS
    +4
    Wrong. He can refuse to fund it. That would end it.
  • HOMBRE RS 2012/06/29 12:24:49
    HOMBRE
    +1
    Lets hope he does .Look how stupid the libtards are happy with a new tax. You see no jobs now wait until you see the layoff Obamacare Will cause.
  • LarryFine RS 2012/06/29 12:31:42
    LarryFine
    +1
    Yup!! Or, grant waivers from participation just like Obama did with all his cronies.
  • JaguarS... RS 2012/06/29 13:49:29
    JaguarSocialist
    +1
    I doubt that will happen; Boehner is another empty suit conservative owned by the Koch Brothers who no doubt fund his tanning bed.
  • ProudPr... RS 2012/06/29 15:54:42
    ProudProgressive
    Actually that's not true. Congress is responsible for funding of all Federal programs, not the President. And considering that the likelihood of Democratic majorities in both houses has increased significantly lately, that ain't going to happen even on the remote chance that Romney is able to steal the election.
  • LarryFine RS 2012/06/29 12:29:49
    LarryFine
    +1
    He has stated if the legislature does not help to overturn the law, he will simply grant waivers to any and all states who decide not to participate!
  • JaguarS... LarryFine 2012/06/29 13:50:22
    JaguarSocialist
    +1
    Will he grant one to MA for RomneyCare that included an individual mandate. The individual mandata was a Republican idea in the 1990s in their fight against Clinton's health care initiative.
  • LarryFine JaguarS... 2012/06/29 14:29:56
    LarryFine
    Do YOU think MA would opt out of the liberal love fest of FREE (wink, wink) medical care? Powers of the state do NOT equate to powers of the fed.
  • JaguarS... LarryFine 2012/06/29 14:41:51
    JaguarSocialist
    Do you think you could come up with a better argument than insinuate that Obama ever said medical care is free? I frankly don't give a damn what MA does; the Court ruled properly and, of course, as I stated the individual mandate was a Republican idea from the 1990s. It was a central part of RomneyCare in MA and Romney strongly supported it. The U.S. is the only western industrialized nation without universal health care. Because of asinine conservative policies that have repeatedly failed, we're on our way to becoming a third-rate country with no good roads, falling bridges but the good news is you're be a damn minority in a sea of brown.
  • BILL JaguarS... 2012/06/29 15:28:04
  • JaguarS... BILL 2012/06/29 15:30:15
    JaguarSocialist
    The people of MA are American citizens; admit it, Billy, you don't have any credible argument.
  • RS JaguarS... 2012/06/30 03:47:37 (edited)
    RS
    You are right...we are becoming a third world nation because of leftists who don't understand what made this country great! Not because we don't hand out free heathcare to people who can not carry thier own weight.
  • JaguarS... RS 2012/06/30 14:35:14 (edited)
    JaguarSocialist
    I understand what made this great nation, LIBERALS, who wanted to create their own nation.

The funniest part of your comment is you exhibit a fundamental ignorance of this nation and its history.

You're a socialist!
  • RS JaguarS... 2012/06/30 18:07:03
    RS
    A Socialist. Trust me that is not correct.
  • JaguarS... RS 2012/07/01 15:24:46 (edited)
    JaguarSocialist
    Yeah, you are. Ever driven on an interstate highway? Called the fire department? Used the mortgage interest deduction? Use the dependent deduction on your income tax? Listened to your favorite conservative hate radio host?

Yeah, you're a socialist. All Americans are!
  • RS JaguarS... 2012/07/01 18:19:10
    RS
    No idea what the hell you are talking about. The fire Dept. is city.
    The rest has nothing to do with this debate. Again nothing above is a forced purchase via a Tax. Trust me I know a lot of people abroad and the vast majority hate the medical care they get there.
  • JaguarS... RS 2012/07/01 23:10:10
    JaguarSocialist
    Then, as I suspected, you're an idiot. Fire departments are paid for with taxpayer funds. What I posted has everything to do with this debate. Your last comment is an outright lie since polling data shows that Europeans, for example, like their health care and wouldn't trade it for the American system. I seriously doubt you know anybody outside your trailer park.
  • RS JaguarS... 2012/07/02 03:51:53
    RS
    Funny how many people come to the US if they have a severe illness and want to live. I rarely hear...no...I never hear the other way around. Even the wealthiest Europeans are forced to wait for life saving measures to be taken to save thier lives. canada does not even have enough MRI machines to deal with the patients they have. The reason that most of the Europeans do not want to change systens with us is that most have never lived under a different system. Trailer Park...you see just like a Pinko to fire insults. Notice that I have not until now that is. However, you probably are proud of it.
  • JaguarS... RS 2012/07/04 20:03:12
  • RS JaguarS... 2012/07/05 03:20:25
    RS
    I scoff at thee. France!
  • ProudPr... LarryFine 2012/06/29 16:00:47
    ProudProgressive
    The people in Massachusetts LIKE their health care coverage. They aren't going to opt out of a successful system in order to surrender their rights to the private corporations that have tried so hard to destroy the health care of millions of Americans.
  • JaguarS... ProudPr... 2012/06/30 14:36:59
    JaguarSocialist
    Somewhere in heaven, if it exists, this man is smiling because his lifelong work is now a reality. Let's not forget his efforts on health care.

Kennedy
  • RS JaguarS... 2012/06/30 18:18:18
    RS
    If he is there...I hope he is Mary Joe's houseboy cleaning her toilets in Heaven.
  • JaguarS... RS 2012/07/01 15:25:32
  • RS JaguarS... 2012/07/01 18:28:33
    RS
    For what? She did not leave the scene of an accident she caused, allowing a young girl she was trying to shack up with to die.

Honestly...even Liberals I know realize Chappaquidick was real and that if you or I did what he did we would still be in the pen. PLEASE!
  • JaguarS... RS 2012/07/01 23:11:09
    JaguarSocialist
    Kennedy was properly charged under existing MA law. I didn't saw Kennedy wasn't involved in an accident; however, conservatives have little understanding of law, the constitution or much of anything else.
  • RS JaguarS... 2012/07/02 03:55:54
    RS
    No. He called upon one of his clan to "Take care of"the problem. It had nothing to do with the law in the state of Mass. I promise you that if you left the scene of an accident in Mass you would go to prison.
  • JaguarS... RS 2012/07/04 20:04:08
    JaguarSocialist
    Wrong again, dumbass. Kennedy was properly charged under what was then MA law. Yes, it had everything to do with the law in MA.
  • RS JaguarS... 2012/07/05 03:21:26
    RS
    It is you who is wrong. Show evidence. I will.
  • ProudPr... JaguarS... 2012/06/29 15:59:34
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    You know, the funniest part is that they were ready to impeach President Obama for his completely lawful executive order regarding innocent children here illegally, but now they're ready to cheer if their boy ignores Congress and goes off on his own to screw with valid legislation.

2014/11/25 00:44:36