Scott Brown Says We Can't De-Fund Planned Parenthood: Are You With Him or Against Him?

SodaHead Politics 2011/03/24 22:00:00
Republicans rejoiced in 2010 when Scott Brown pulled off an upset in traditionally liberal Massachusetts and took the seat formerly held by the late Ted Kennedy. They praised his bootstraps story of rising up from a difficult childhood that included abuse into a career in modeling followed by a quick rise in politics.

And then … Brown made the cardinal sin of a Republican senator and announced this week that he opposes GOP efforts to de-fund Planned Parenthood.

According to the pro-life site LifeNews.com, Brown released a “carefully-worded” statement on Tuesday that it said was “either designed to deliberately confuse organizations following the de-funding debate in Congress or masterfully tiptoeing around a delicate issue.”

Brown’s statement was interpreted by many pro-life groups as a shift in Brown’s position on de-funding Planned Parenthood, which he recently supported though his vote for the House-passed long-term Continuing Resolution containing the Pence Amendment, which would remove all taxpayer-funded support for PP.

“I support family planning and health services for women. Given our severe budget problems, I don’t believe any area of the budget is completely immune from cuts,” Brown said. “However, the proposal to eliminate all funding for family planning goes too far. As we continue with our budget negotiations, I hope we can find a compromise that is reasonable and appropriate.”

LifeNews later reported that it remained unclear if Brown’s statement referred to just the PP de-funding or if he was referring to the entire House bill, which would wipe out all funding for the Title X family planning program, which doesn’t pay for abortions, but provides aid for family planning and reproductive health.

The confusion angered many in the pro-life community and the website suggested that either Brown’s office was simply confused about the two proposals, or that the senator “deliberately issued a statement that the media would interpret as a comment on Planned Parenthood, while pro-lifers would see it as merely a statement on Title X.”

Brown has never claimed to be a pro-life candidate and he’s the third Senate Republican (joining Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska) to publicly oppose the PP de-funding proposal.

Are you with Scott Brown or against him on the PP bill?

• Stratweenie57 2011/03/24 22:34:01
    Against him
    Stratweenie57
    +15
    Scott Brown is the quintessential RINO
    A liberal who decided to run as a conservative so he could be elected,and once in governs just like all the rest of the Libs-ass backwards!

• David850 2011/03/25 13:24:08
    Against him
    David850
    +1
    No tax dollars for planned parenthood.
  • smitty 2011/03/25 13:15:11
    smitty
    Get the Politics out of Planned Parenthood and put people in there that are doing what is supposed to be done with the group then yes, maybe keep it going. But the slime pit it is today then no.
  • Dotty Kaza 2011/03/25 13:10:39
    With him
    Dotty Kaza
    +2
    De-funding Planned Parenthood will put women back in the Dark Ages causing needless pain and suffering. Women, particularly younger women, need accurate information on birth control. Not to have this information accessible does not decrease the number of young women having sex. There are std's, surprise pregnancies, and hiv/aids. Not to provide information and access to birth control methods and safe sex seems very unwise to be.
  • SusanHe... Dotty Kaza 2011/03/25 13:34:42
    SusanHerrin
    Planned Parenthood should not replace good parenting, and that's basically what it's been doing for the last couple of decades. No doubt there are STD's, HIV/AIDS, but doctors' offices are the first and best source of info on these topics. Everyone knows that the only way to get pregnant is by having sex; how can anyone be surprised if they do, when they are?
  • Dotty Kaza SusanHe... 2011/03/25 13:52:21
    Dotty Kaza
    +4
    Nothing can replace good parenting. What happens to the many young women when good parenting isn't happening? I do not agree that a doctors' office is always the first and best source for information. What of the many people who have no access to doctors because they have no insurance. Planned Parenthood provides services to those who can't afford it - do doctor's?
  • bob 2011/03/25 12:50:59
    With him
    bob
    Although we need to balance the budget. Cut the war budget now.
  • Connor Pope 2011/03/25 12:25:29
    With him
    Connor Pope
    This is great!
  • michelle 2011/03/25 12:20:04
    With him
    michelle
    +7
    I'm no fan of abortion, but as a person with a uterus, I'm quite frightened by the idea of forced childbearing. No woman WANTS an abortion. A woman wants an abortion like an animal caught in a trap wants to gnaw off its own leg. Sometimes it feels like the only way out.

People who are opposed to abortion love to talk about "babies" and "innocent life" as if there were no woman involved. But there is. There is an autonomous, breathing, thinking, feeling woman involved and if she's facing an unplanned pregnancy, she needs help. The cost of gestating and giving birth to a baby starts out around $16,000 and quickly skyrockets if any complications arise, including the need for a c-section. Without health insurance, that needs to be paid out-of-pocket. Additionally, women can and do lose their jobs and their homes when they become pregnant.

Raising a child can cost $300,000+ and adoption isn't always a viable alternative - first of all, it requires the woman to spend nine months pregnant and risk her life giving birth, and second, unless that baby is healthy and white, s/he's probably not getting adopted. Millions of kids grow up in foster care. The problem isn't that people don't want to adopt, it's that they want to adopt infants - healthy, white infants. They don't want a blac...

Raising a child can cost $300,000+ and adoption isn't always a viable alternative - first of all, it requires the woman to spend nine months pregnant and risk her life giving birth, and second, unless that baby is healthy and white, s/he's probably not getting adopted. Millions of kids grow up in foster care. The problem isn't that people don't want to adopt, it's that they want to adopt infants - healthy, white infants. They don't want a black five-year-old with AIDS. In in my opinion, the adoption system should be revamped so it is easier to adopt and easier for women to choose to put their unplanned babies up for adoption.

95 percent of abortions occur before the 10th week of gestation. What does an abortion like that look like? I'll show you: http://www.abortionaccess.inf...

I want to reduce the need for abortion in America, but defunding Planned Parenthood and making it impossible for women to access low-cost birth control and medical care - including prenatal care - isn't going to reduce abortion. It's going to make the need for it go up.
  • mike j michelle 2011/03/25 14:29:02
    mike j
    Michelle , not only are your reasons above valid , this is also a way for the religious moralist to enforce chastity thru the back door . Once un-married women realize they can no longer legally termanate , they will be a bit more hesitant to engage in sex . You can take it from there , the no sex moralist will sleep cozy at night thinking they have put a plug in somebodys fun .
  • michelle mike j 2011/03/25 16:05:01
    michelle
    +1
    Those people fail to realize that nearly half of all women who choose abortion are married and already have children.

I do agree with you that this is the anti-abortionist's ultimate goal. It's about saving innocent life, but only second to making sure that women don't have casual sex. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing to remind people that sex is powerful - sex leads to procreation, and we need to be careful with that power. Unfortunately, the onus of that power lies almost entirely with women, which I think is why women have spent centuries being subjugated and even murdered for their sexuality. That's why we piss and moan about women being sluts and degenerates and baby-killers, but rarely try to tell our sons to rein in their sex lives. Makes me very sad.
  • mike j michelle 2011/03/31 15:36:05
    mike j
    michelle , start early with boys and girls , education , education , education , what part of education do they not get . thanks mj
  • earl 2011/03/25 12:16:56
    With him
    earl
    +2
    People need to start being accountable for their actions, and suffer the consequences!
  • Michell... earl 2011/03/25 13:15:28
    MichelleDeniseWatts
    Because you are a man, you are clueless. If your ass could get pregnant, you wouldnt be saying stupid crap like this.
  • earl Michell... 2011/03/25 13:31:12
    earl
    I would take responsibility for my actions. If you lay on your back with your legs in the air, there can be consequences!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Far from clueless!! If you had a shred of self respect and any moral compass what so ever, you would understand.
    Unfortunately, you are probably sucking off some Government program as it is, and don't want to lose your "benny's".
  • Michell... earl 2011/04/09 02:30:20
    MichelleDeniseWatts
    Ummm...no. I work hard for a living. Have two degrees and probably make more money than you do. I have no children (because I haven't been married) and can engage in critical thinking (unlike some). I don't think I have all the answers and I'm not full of hate, intolerance and bigotry. Go back to your trailer Earl.
  • ConLibFraud 2011/03/25 12:12:29
    Against him
    ConLibFraud
    +1
    America!

These politicians have put you over $14 trillion in debt! Wasn't this liar Brown elected to do something about this debt? Isn't it time to take back control of your country?!!! How much more are you willing to take? What a herd you have become! You are 300 million who allow a measly 536 treasonous politicians to control you and steal from you? How have you become such a flock?
  • Connor ... ConLibF... 2011/03/25 12:26:00
    Connor Pope
    And so, only 10 american's read this.
  • ConLibF... Connor ... 2011/03/25 12:48:46
    ConLibFraud
    And those 10 can tell 10 and those 100 can tell 10 and so on ... your point? Have you given up?
  • Connor ... ConLibF... 2011/05/10 23:51:20
    Connor Pope
    I don't care lol
  • ConLibF... Connor ... 2011/05/11 02:18:15
    ConLibFraud
    Tell me something else I all already know.
  • Connor ... ConLibF... 2011/05/12 13:31:34
    Connor Pope
    ...?
  • Bill in Niantic 2011/03/25 11:58:37
    Against him
    Bill in Niantic
    +1
    Sorry, I don't think we should support any Commie inspired/created Empires
  • Connor ... Bill in... 2011/03/25 12:26:18
    Connor Pope
    O_o, commie inspired? Someones hallucinating.
  • Bill in... Connor ... 2011/03/25 13:00:59
    Bill in Niantic
    Guess you don't know who started PP do you?
  • Connor ... Bill in... 2011/05/10 23:51:37
    Connor Pope
    Lmao sorry but... Commie Inspired? REally?
  • john doe 2011/03/25 11:58:24
    Against him
    john doe
    +2
    I'd like to see how this country would be the way our forefathers intended, cut everything.
  • Q 2011/03/25 11:34:04
    With him
    Q
    +4
    De-funding Planned Parenthood would result in more unwanted pregnancies and hurt the women coming in for family planning and other health related issues other than abortions.

While I hated to see a republican assume Ted Kennedy's seat after he died, Scott Brown has turned out to be a moderate and has not voted strictly along party lines, he knows his constituency apparently and represents them accordingly.
  • thebardofmurdock 2011/03/25 10:30:19
    Against him
    thebardofmurdock
    +1
    Planned Parenthood
    With apologies to Joyce Kilmer, author of Trees

I thought that I would never see
    A program sacred as P.P.

A program that Barack will back
    Against the GOP attack.

A program Biden will defend
    Against the budget cutting trend.

A program for which Nancy fights
    Beneath the flag of women's rights.

A program for which Harry Reid
    Would shutter government indeed.

When deficits begin to squeeze
    We see their true priorities.

While other programs come and go
    This sacred cow must stay just so.

thebardofmurdock.blogspot.com
  • LOU thebard... 2011/03/25 11:08:32
    LOU
    +1
    We cannot let stupid people reproduce! The cost of keeping them from having kids out weighs the cost of them being on welfare. stupid people reproduce cost kids weighs cost welfare white trash
  • GoodEnc... LOU 2011/03/25 12:42:55
    GoodEncounter
    +1
    I feel we should provide services to people to prevent unplanned pregnancies. I can also see how a lot of those would end up on welfare. But I cringed at the "stupid people" part of your statement.
  • ol_crank_arm 2011/03/25 10:17:21
    Against him
    ol_crank_arm
    +3
    'Birth Control' has ALWAYS been an elitist method for control of 'inferior classes'. Only elites are ghoulish enough to promote infantacide and make a 'business' of it. In reality, Planned Parenthood exists to prevent 'the inferiors' from nurturing children so they can rather labor to buy cell phones, cars and 'fashionable clothes. THAT'S what this RINO, Scott Brown, has stooped to 'represent'? The People should 'de-fund both Planned Parenthood AND Scott Brown in one fell swoop!
  • LOU ol_cran... 2011/03/25 11:09:44
    LOU
    +1
    You have to control insects some how!
  • GoodEnc... LOU 2011/03/25 12:44:10
    GoodEncounter
    Whoa.
  • LOU GoodEnc... 2011/03/25 14:12:52
    LOU
    After being a cop for a few years you learn that there are people who will never do a thing in this world but rob, rape, pluner and degrade the world. Sure it sounds harsh but factual.
  • Connor ... ol_cran... 2011/03/25 12:27:39
    Connor Pope
    +1
    A fetus is not an infant so it's not infantacide.
  • ol_cran... Connor ... 2011/03/26 03:00:49
    ol_crank_arm
    That's how ghouls think. It’s why they have no compunction with sticking an ice pick in a child’s skull at birth.
  • Connor ... ol_cran... 2011/05/10 23:51:55
    Connor Pope
    Ghouls don't exist so whatever
  • Yankee Traveler 2011/03/25 10:02:03
    Against him
    Yankee Traveler
    +2
    Being formally from Mass. I didn't trust him to begin with.....There is no one, and nothing in Mass. politics and politicians to be trusted........"Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see" in Mass.............
  • Kathy Yankee ... 2011/03/25 10:16:52
    Kathy
    +1
    Just think of all that money that the politicians would lose, if those little infants weren't aborted
    Wow- they would actually have to take a pay cut and cut down on governmental controls
  • Connor ... Kathy 2011/03/25 12:30:15
    Connor Pope
    And think of all the money those little infants would cost, and the crime they would cause.

In the 1980's/70's the crime rate lowered drastically in almost every major city in America. That is because 25 years earlier abortion became legal. They found that the crime rate in people 25 or under drastically lowered while the crime rate in those 25 or above didn't decrease at all. Read Freakonomics it's really cool.

But anyways, yeah, Planned Parenthood is perfectly fine, cutting that would be stupid.

2014/04/20 03:24:57