Schools Embrace Call to Hire Armed Guards: Should Obama Ban Armed Guards?

Fef 2013/01/14 20:57:18
Arab City School District superintendent John Mullins decided to protect his schools with armed guards. “When it comes to the safety and well-being of our children, there is no price too high.... [Armed guards] seem to be a powerful deterrent from being victimized by an irrational violent person.”

Superintendent MaryEllen Elia of the Hillsborough County Public Schools in Florida recommended hiring an additional 130 officers so all schools will have armed and trained personnel. Ms. Elia said, “Let me tell you that I wish this wasn’t necessary. I wish we didn’t have to consider any of these strategies but the world has changed since I was in school. It changed again on December 14th.”

FREEBEACON.COM reports:
School districts in Pennsylvania, Alabama, New Jersey, and Rhode Island have hired armed officers in the weeks since the mass shooting in Newtown, Conn., the Free Beacon has found. Additionally, schools in Florida, Tennessee, Arizona, and New York are in the process of hiring armed officers or recommending they be placed in schools.

florida tennessee arizona york process hiring armed officers recommending schools

Read More: http://freebeacon.com/protecting-our-kids/

• lucky 2013/01/16 15:55:06
    Allow Armed School Guards
    lucky
    +1
    No he shouldnt especially considering many schools have had that policy for several years without incident, TN schools already have some that do that and have did that for the past several years. Im only surprised more schools have not taken that route to protect the kids.
  • EvilMonkey 2013/01/15 21:38:55
    Allow Armed School Guards
    EvilMonkey
    +1
    He doesn't have the power to ban them.
  • Tonya 2013/01/15 18:23:51
    Allow Armed School Guards
    Tonya
    +1
    Armed guards would deter school shootings, YES we need armed guards in every school!!!!
  • Sherry 2013/01/15 14:42:46
    Allow Armed School Guards
    Sherry
    +2
    No more than he would ban armed guards at his own kids school. Now, we all know that's not going to happen? His kids are no better than ours.
  • chucky 2013/01/15 14:35:28
    Allow Armed School Guards
    chucky
    +1
    Obama has not a clue,he is a real nowhere man sitting in his nowhere land making all his nowhere plans for nobody.
  • jeane 2013/01/15 14:25:04 (edited)
    Allow Armed School Guards
    jeane
    +3
    Places where people are not armed are the perfect places to KILL PEOPLE!!
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2013/01/15 13:02:35
    Allow Armed School Guards
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    It takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun. Period.
  • Revolution 2012 2013/01/15 07:52:14
    Allow Armed School Guards
    Revolution 2012
    Actually, neither. School shootings are exceedingly rare, especially in comparison to other horrendous crimes that get little or no media attention, but also happen almost daily. Guards are an excellent way to waste money under the guise of "protecting the children". What does Obama plan to accomplish by posting guards in front of schools that will most likely never have even the slightest threat directed towards it? Children should feel free when they go to school, not like they are being kept in a youth prison.
  • phil.olding.3 2013/01/15 07:04:10
    Allow Armed School Guards
    phil.olding.3
    +2
    Our money is protected by armed guards.

Our children are protected by words on paper (laws), words on signs (gun-free zones), and good intentions.

Our money is safe.
  • Revolut... phil.ol... 2013/01/15 07:54:01
    Revolution 2012
    +1
    Nope - The Federal Reserve. You are being robbed blind everyday and many like you have no idea what is happening under your noses.
  • phil.ol... Revolut... 2013/01/16 00:54:33
    phil.olding.3
    They're not stealing the money out of my bank account. They're devaluing my money, and making me pay more for everything.
  • drsardonicas 2013/01/15 05:19:55
    Allow Armed School Guards
    drsardonicas
    +2
    The only thing Obama should "Ban" is his underarms.
  • JeffDeWitt 2013/01/15 04:48:47
    Allow Armed School Guards
    JeffDeWitt
    +5
    But if he really wants to ban armed guards at schools he should set an example and get rid of his own.
  • bman~AVA~BTTB 2013/01/15 04:35:43
    Allow Armed School Guards
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    +3
    I'm all for allowing armed guards in the schools and I feel that had they of been in that school the day of the mass shootings that took 20 innocent school children and 6 adults that many deaths could very well have been avoided. But of course the lame stream propaganda machine will never report things like that. They are too busy trying to get our weapons all taken away.
  • stevmackey 2013/01/15 04:17:13
    Allow Armed School Guards
    stevmackey
    +3
    ban Obama
  • Sherry stevmackey 2013/01/15 14:45:10
    Sherry
    No that I would like to be able to give a zillion thumbs to!
  • Sherry Sherry 2013/01/15 14:45:42
    Sherry
    I meant thumbs up!
    Allow Armed School Guards
    +3
    Obama has it for his kids what makes him so special??
  • Cat 2013/01/15 02:44:53
    Allow Armed School Guards
    Cat
    Are you suggesting that the secret service agents that protect the kids at Sidwell Friends School should leave their guns at home?
  • dru dixon 2013/01/15 01:46:46
    Ban Armed School Guards
    dru dixon
    Its not going to help! Remember Columbine? An army of guards couldn't have stopped those two guys with all their arsenal!
  • Torchma... dru dixon 2013/01/15 13:06:22
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    ONE well trained guard could have stopped the boys at Columbine.
  • dru dixon Torchma... 2013/01/15 23:52:31
    dru dixon
    He ran when he saw the firepower they had! Unfortunate! But his little pistol would not have saved him!
  • K-ZOOMI... dru dixon 2013/01/15 20:31:26
    K-ZOOMI-----0
    A well trained person can hit a target yards away. Criminals can only hit when yhey are right next to theirs.
  • dru dixon K-ZOOMI... 2013/01/15 23:53:10
    dru dixon
    Yes a well train person can! But his gun was no match for what they had!
  • K-ZOOMI... dru dixon 2013/01/16 01:01:54
    K-ZOOMI-----0
    That's bull. Firepower is not all that and a bag of chips.
    All I would have needed was a clear shot from even over 50 yds. and their reign of terror would have been over in two shots to the head.
  • dru dixon K-ZOOMI... 2013/01/16 01:30:13
    dru dixon
    The killer comes in with a clear cool mind and intent. The guard is caught off track as most people would be and guess who is going to win? The killer who has been planing this for months not the guy who is caught off guard!
  • K-ZOOMI... dru dixon 2013/01/16 15:15:33
    K-ZOOMI-----0
    Keep spinning. Well trained guards keep their cool and thoughts. Criminals lose it when shots are fired back at them. You are a idiot.
  • dru dixon K-ZOOMI... 2013/01/16 16:34:32
    dru dixon
    Nobody keeps there guard up 24/7! The police have their share of fatalities among their own. And what about by standers? The Empire Building had eight by standers shot as the police try to take out the gunman. Can you guarantee that won't happen to a bunch of little kids?
  • K-ZOOMI... dru dixon 2013/01/17 02:05:33
    K-ZOOMI-----0
    A little history lesson...It's called the Empire State Building. If you can't get simple facts correct, how can you get complex thoughts together?
  • dru dixon K-ZOOMI... 2013/01/17 02:08:48
    dru dixon
    Yes I know all about the Empire State Building, but thank you so much for missing the point!
  • phil.ol... dru dixon 2013/01/27 11:54:28
    phil.olding.3
    So instead of doing SOMETHING to protect our kids in their schools, we should do NOTHING?

Because words on paper (laws), words on signs (gun-free zones), and good intentions sure as hell didn't stop any of the mass shootings.

A gun stopped the mass shooting a week before Sandy Hook, though.
  • dru dixon phil.ol... 2013/01/28 15:57:06
    dru dixon
    Obama has embraced the idea of armed guards and I don't call looking into the gun problem like he and Biden are doing is doing nothing.
  • phil.ol... dru dixon 2013/01/28 22:28:02
    phil.olding.3
    The elementary school that I went to, not far from my house, still has no armed guards.
  • dru dixon phil.ol... 2013/01/29 23:16:17
    dru dixon
    lol! Give it time! Its just now being seriously discussed!
  • phil.ol... dru dixon 2013/01/30 03:15:20
    phil.olding.3
    They've had time.

Since they first made schools "gun-free zones", they've had time!

They're JUST NOW seriously discussing this? They're years and years too late!
  • dru dixon phil.ol... 2013/01/30 03:36:59
    dru dixon
    Schools for many years were gun free zones and there were schools that had armed guards. I don't think anybody thought it would get to this point!
  • phil.ol... dru dixon 2013/01/30 03:39:05
    phil.olding.3
    It's always been at "this point"!

At any point, people could walk onto a school campus, and start shooting people!

To date, one of the most deadly mass shootings in history was done on a college campus, from a clock tower, using a bolt-action rifle... In the 1960s! This mass shooter killed more people than the Aurora, Colorado shooter did!
  • dru dixon phil.ol... 2013/01/30 03:42:58
    dru dixon
    Yes but they were very few for it to become the trend it is now! I certainly didn't fear being killed by a gun when I was in school!
  • phil.ol... dru dixon 2013/01/30 03:46:51
    phil.olding.3
    It's been a trend the entire time!

You didn't hear about the constant shootings because they didn't make major news! Now, the news plasters these shootings up everywhere, saying how bad it is that people can own guns! These things have happened for ages, and they will continue happening, unless people get armed security, or provide their own armed security!

If you didn't fear being killed by a gun when you were in school, and if your school had no armed guards, then you were simply not informed!
  • dru dixon phil.ol... 2013/01/30 03:49:36
    dru dixon
    No it really was not a problem. Except for hunting rifles most of my friends parents didn't have a gun in the house. If there was a fight in school there was no gun involved. And I lived in big cities and small towns. I think it is sign of the times!

2014/10/30 15:58:02