School Pays Kids to Go to Class: Creative or Crazy?

College tuition continues to rise, but Dohn Community High School -- a dropout recovery charter school in Cincinnati -- is going in a different direction. With funding from a handful of donors -- Reuters reports that they're not using any operating funds -- DCHS is rewarding students for going to class consistently. By offering them money.

Easter Seals is offering $25 a week to all DCHS seniors who arrive to class on time every day; $10 a week for underclassmen. And surprise, surprise: it appears to be working! DCHS principal Ramon Davenport told The Associated Press, "You have students who we haven't seen in a week or two coming to school. So that tells me that this incentive that we’re trying is actually working."

• Randice 2012/02/15 17:06:14
    Crazy
    Randice
    +13
    In my day, not having my butt beat by my parents was enough incentive for me to go to school. No wonder we're sinking lower and lower on the international scale when it comes to our kids' education.

• Somethi... angel123 2012/03/26 23:35:05
    Something Sea
    No-one is forcing the kid to be in school?
    If his/her parents don't send the kid to school, the kid will be plucked up by Child Protective Services. There is no pay to be in school, and you can't get fired from it.
  • mamacrash 2012/02/23 22:16:27
    Creative
    mamacrash
    Not really happy about the fact that the students need the $$ incentive to show up and learn on a daily basis. Not really sure when things changed but I went to school every day sick or not and cried when I graduated from High School for many reasons. We just may need to find a more creative way to get the students to attend/learn on a daily basis but $25/week makes me a bit ill. We are already having budget problems and adding this to an already burdened system could just be the straw to break the budget.
    We need parents to step up and create the desire in their children to get a good education and lay the groundwork for a good future. The future of this country is in the hands of the children who are in school right now so we need to find a better solution to this problem. We also need a better incentive for children other than money for these kids, they need to learn that money isn't the answer to everything that is a challenge to you in life.
  • krystal chinothai 2012/02/22 04:21:28
    Crazy
    krystal chinothai
    If they want to be dumb and live on the streets, let them
  • mamacrash krystal... 2012/02/23 22:19:53
    mamacrash
    +1
    The only problem with that is they will end up on welfare and we will be paying the bill.
  • Abel Le... mamacrash 2012/02/29 01:47:45
    Abel Lewis 24
    That is the bad part.
  • Somethi... krystal... 2012/03/26 23:37:46
    Something Sea
    School is very harmful to children.
    This is the introduction podcast of School Sucks:
    http://schoolsucks.podomatic....
  • P. Sturm 2012/02/21 21:38:30
    Creative
    P. Sturm
    If it works, and keeps the dropouts from dropping out a second time, do it.
  • John 2012/02/20 20:37:05
    Crazy
    John
    Absolutely NUTS......
  • WilliamMeagher 2012/02/20 16:59:41
    Crazy
    WilliamMeagher
    +1
    let them screw themselves over that money comes from somewhere so i don't want taxes increased or scholarships taken away for the deadbeats
  • Sabrena Heimes 2012/02/20 15:25:33
    Creative
    Sabrena Heimes
    It would certainly make me want to go to school more
  • Jacqui 2012/02/20 14:46:43
    Creative
    Jacqui
    my first reaction was crazy. The I thought about my children and their extra choir allowance. As long as the payment of the incentive is paid after a proven pattern of behavior change, say quarterly or monthly. True, they should go because it is the right thing to do, however, if inviting them back with a reward attached would save money in the long term... how much does unemployment cost? or any services that public pays for those not employable.
  • Sionann 2012/02/20 13:38:35
    Crazy
    Sionann
    Absolute proof that our society has some major underlying problems to overcome....if we ever can.
  • click1695 2012/02/20 12:39:07
    Crazy
    click1695
    +1
    ...the heck? that is morally incorrect, unjust and absolutely illogical. Kids should have enough self respect to go to school by themselves with out being payed by the school. I'm a highschool student, and i think i have enough of an IQ to know that school is important and if i had to pay a million dollars a month for school, i would if i could. Education is so important, but many kids take it for granted. There are kids in other countries dying for the education we get. Its time someone shook some sense into the students and schools like these.
  • Somethi... click1695 2012/03/26 23:43:57
    Something Sea
    Education is vital. That's why it's important to either leave school the first second that you can (I didn't because I wanted to study it), or have school be voluntary and pays you to attend/learn. School, as it is right now, is little better than prison (hey, you won't get raped by Bubba, so be glad).

What is the point of learning in regard to education? Two obvious reasons:
    1. Money.
    2. Enlightenment.

How does school, as it is right now, help with either of these? It rarely does, and here's why: it's compulsory. If you have to go, regardless, what's the incentive to learn? If someone's forcing you to be in a place... BECAUSE... are you in a learning mood? I don't know about you, but I'm sure not.

Do you know why kids take it for granted?
    Because they HAVE to go!
  • gidianedwards97 2012/02/20 02:58:55
    Creative
    gidianedwards97
    we have to change the system not let the system change us so I think that pay to stay is a good way to inspire those future
  • animeknight16 2012/02/20 00:44:27
    Crazy
    animeknight16
    That's ridiculous a kid shouldn't have to get paid in order to go to school.School should be about mostly learning not getting paid.
  • fightingquip 2012/02/19 14:19:20
    Crazy
    fightingquip
    +1
    Horrible idea. These kids are spoiled as it is. What they really need is more responsibility and accountability, and the intrinsic value of hard work.
  • Mark Mercer 2012/02/19 14:02:59
    Crazy
    Mark Mercer
    +1
    Just charge them for every day they miss. Charge at the rate of minimum wage...they will need to know what that rate is.
  • Dave 007 2012/02/19 12:44:08
    Creative
    Dave 007
    +2
    Oops, I voted wrong. I guess they didn't pay for me to go to school.
  • purrrfect333 2012/02/19 00:22:24
    Creative
    purrrfect333
    +1
    Whatever works. The kids that dont go are the ones that need it the most. I say good job. If you can give them insentive to go and stay we will have a stronger more educated country. Even if they sit in class this is a good thing. It keeps them of f the streets, out of trouble.....for awhile anyway and they mat just learn something other than how to be rebellious.
  • MindaBrown purrrfe... 2012/02/25 15:19:28
    MindaBrown
    Evidently you are as dumb as the kids.
  • breya014 2012/02/18 21:55:49 (edited)
    Crazy
    breya014
    +1
    I'm a freshman in high school, so I'm subject to an upfront and personal opinion on the subject. My view on the situation is that to pay kids to merely SHOW UP, and BEHAVE RIGHT? Huh-uh. No, that's taking it too far, kids should show up and act right no matter what the circumstances, and "no bus fare" or "I gotta job" is not an excuse,
    A.) Carpool. it's free and it cuts back on pollution, surely there's someone that can come and give you a ride to school, so "no bus fare" is out of the question.
    B.) You go to school to learn, and get an education so you can go out into the workforce LATER. Your job as a teen is to come to school, get smart, GRADUATE, maybe get some college knowledge, THEN start a career. So that annihilates "I gotta job".
    Although I DO think that it would be beneficial, but it' would only be sensible if it's based on attendance, behavior, and mainly GRADES. Because I honestly have to admit that I'm a slacker when it comes to school, and being paid to get good grades... Well that would be a major incentive. Every teen wants to have a little pocket cash, that's pretty much a given. But not every teen can acquire it, some families aren't busting at the seams with money all the time. So to be paid to do well would be extremely helpful, especially if you're one...
    Although I DO think that it would be beneficial, but it' would only be sensible if it's based on attendance, behavior, and mainly GRADES. Because I honestly have to admit that I'm a slacker when it comes to school, and being paid to get good grades... Well that would be a major incentive. Every teen wants to have a little pocket cash, that's pretty much a given. But not every teen can acquire it, some families aren't busting at the seams with money all the time. So to be paid to do well would be extremely helpful, especially if you're one of the slackers, it would definitely trigger an improvement.
    However, like other people are saying; considering the way today's society works... it could also contribute to certain negative causes, such as the money being irresponsibly blown off on drugs, weed, alcohol, tobacco, and unnecessary junk-food, etc. so in order for it to be successful in ALL aspects; I suggest that a large portion of the reward be implemented in furthering the student's education, (ie a college/university/trust fund).
  • MindaBrown breya014 2012/02/25 15:21:26
    MindaBrown
    You go girl. You are the smart one and must have good parents.
  • breya014 MindaBrown 2012/04/02 22:26:16 (edited)
    breya014
    Well thank you, I like to consider myself one of the few teens with a decent amount of common sense. But I'd say I got it from slightly the opposite of having good parents... I've never really had my parents be moral/value-setters in my life, I've had to figure most things out, and gain my sophisticated intelligence through experience and by watching the world go round in general. But that's often the case; when you're forced to figure out how the world works on your own... You tend to learn it and see things the way they really are, because you don't usually have 50 different opinions or veiw-points being thrown at you. So you're able to focus on the true reality, rather than the popular-belief of things.
  • Somethi... breya014 2012/03/26 23:48:10
    Something Sea
    Given the number of people that are in unsustainable debt because they got a useless 4-year degree... the model of compulsory schooling might not be the best idea. The method of learning about a subject by force (compulsory schooling) for years on end (without application in/with a business, btw), combined with a focus on sheer obedience (good grades, because teachers use those as behavioral tools), results in the majority of people... failing. Actually, you can probably plot a prediction line of failure.
  • supreme 2012/02/18 20:58:07
    Creative
    supreme
    +1
    For good grades yes, for attendance no.
  • Angela Coey 2012/02/18 16:11:33
    Crazy
    Angela Coey
    Yeah lets pay our kids to go to school so the potheads have a few bucks to buy their weed, fatties can buy their soda from the vending machine and everything else parents don't want their kids having. Kids aren't responsible with money so it's a huge waste of money. Soda, candy, drugs and the movies. That's what our tax dollars will be paying for when other schools decide to implement this. The only way this is a good idea is if like someone said earlier, it goes into a trust fund and they get it AFTER they graduate.
  • copperhead 2012/02/18 15:13:08
    Crazy
    copperhead
    Another unnecessary expense from a liberal welfare society..
  • Flickdraw 2012/02/18 12:19:53
    Crazy
    Flickdraw
    Any kid who needs to be paid to get an education doesn't deserve one. Do we want these greedy "In it for the money" types to get educated enough to potentially be in charge of large businesses or even countries? Oh...wait. Nevermind. We're screwed...
  • truthman 2012/02/18 10:20:45
    Crazy
    truthman
    I already pay with my taxes. Is this not enough? Take that money and hire some good teachers for gods sake.
  • bt sedlock 2012/02/18 06:32:37
    Crazy
    bt sedlock
    It's crazy.
  • OUTrageous 2012/02/18 04:16:36
    Crazy
    OUTrageous
    I bet the kids who are there to learn are glad to see all the slugs return to disrupt class.
  • mandy 2012/02/18 04:12:38
    Crazy
    mandy
    +1
    school is simply a part of life... when are kids going to respect what is expected of them, and when are parents going to be parents and put their foot down and teach their children that they DO NOT run the show!!!!!
  • bt sedlock mandy 2012/02/18 06:36:04
    bt sedlock
    Right!
  • Abel Le... mandy 2012/02/29 01:48:49
    Abel Lewis 24
    AMEN! Strict parents let their kids know they don't run the house.
  • Shaun Tate 2012/02/18 02:42:21
    Creative
    Shaun Tate
    +1
    What, it can't be both? Usually you need a good dose of crazy to get creative. Kids are rewarded all the time for their achievements. I'm sure just showing up for these at risk kids is an accomplishment. It's a much bigger discussion than just creative or crazy.
  • Edie 2012/02/18 02:13:24
    Crazy
    Edie
    That should be the most imporant job a child ever has that is what I was taught. My father and mother worked therefore, it was mandatory that everyone has a job if you do not perform your job to the best of your ability there are is a price your pay. It certainly served me well I started work at 14 then graduated at 15. When times got tough I worked harder and longer to support myself. I had no idea what welfare was until I heard girls talking about it in college. I was as shocked then as I still am today about the goverment supporting kids that have kids.
  • marianne 2012/02/18 00:33:40
    Creative
    marianne
    +2
    because no operating funds are being used, all moneys are being paid by donors, if the donors agree to it, why not?
  • Angela ... marianne 2012/02/19 06:31:14
    Angela Coey
    It doesn't say the donors agree to it though. The money was donated, but who knows whether they know that it's being used this way or not.
  • i don't... marianne 2012/05/16 18:51:38

2014/10/20 09:51:10