SCHOOL BANS STUDENT'S ROSARY FEARING IT MIGHT BE A GANG SYMBOL.

Yo'Adrienne..AFCL 2012/06/09 23:00:27
Last year, a sixth-grader from Fremont, Nebraska, was banned from wearing her rosary-like necklace at school. Now, months later, another religious flap is unfolding in Coon Rapids, Minnesota, where 15-year-old Jake Balthazor has been told that he cannot wear the rosary he purchased to support his cancer-stricken grandmother. In both instances, school officials’ fears that the necklaces would indicate gang membership were cited as the basis for the bans. He was upset when he came home from school,” Chad Balthazor, Jake’s father, explained.
“A teacher sent him down to the office, but the reason he was wearing it was for his grandmother.”

Last year, a sixth-grader from Fremont, Nebraska, was banned from wearing her rosary-like necklace at school. Now, months later, another religious flap is unfolding in Coon Rapids, Minnesota, where 15-year-old Jake Balthazor has been told that he cannot wear the rosary he purchased to support his cancer-stricken grandmother. In both instances, school officials’ fears that the necklaces would indicate gang membership were cited as the basis for the ban.

“He was upset when he came home from school,” Chad Balthazor, Jake’s father, explained . “A teacher sent him down to the office, but the reason he was wearing it was for his grandmother.”

The decision to ban the black hematite rosary, which was purchased by the teenager in Mexico, was made by Coon Rapids High School leaders this past Wednesday. Jake has been proudly wearing the necklace in support of his grandma, who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer.

While the student will no longer be able to wear the necklace — at least according to official policy — he is allowed to carry it with him in his pocket. Fox News has more about the intriguing anti-rosary policy:

The school district’s policy forbids any “apparel, jewelry, accessories or matter of grooming which by virtue of its color arrangement, trademark or any other attribute denotes membership in an organized gang,” Mary Olson, director of communication for the Anoka-Hennepin School District,

http://bcove.me/04giy539

Both Jake and his grandmother, who has also stated her disdain for the school’s handling of the situation, are Lutherans.

"Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, AMEN!"

• Diane Spraggs Yates 2012/06/10 08:45:55
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    +3
    People are being arrested for cheering at Graduations and Diplomas are
    being held until Community Service is done as punishment for this "Crime"!
    Is it any wonder we have so many depressed people in the World today?
    Then this as stupid what is wrong with our schools ???? Prayer beads !!!!! Dumbing down of Americans kids with these silly rules !!

• Food Stamp Papa 2012/08/27 08:07:42
    Food Stamp Papa
    Gangs in fremont zNE??? Please!
  • gaylehelen 2012/06/10 22:29:11
    gaylehelen
    +2
    Because Christian bashing is popular these days. If it were a Crescent or the Star of David it would be okay. Can't discriminate against them, just us Christians.
    It makes me sick.
  • Yo'Adri... gaylehelen 2012/06/11 00:14:51
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    I know the feeling.....but wouldn't change places either.....We are who we are...and blessed!
  • gaylehelen Yo'Adri... 2012/06/11 09:40:23
    gaylehelen
    Agreed.
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    +3
  • Yo'Adri... Diane S... 2012/06/10 12:05:50 (edited)
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +2
    The PROGRESSIVES have infiltrated the school systems......with the blessing of the current Administration.....It's a takeover...that has been "taking over" for 35 years.!
  • Diane S... Yo'Adri... 2012/06/10 13:28:02
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    +2
    They want to kill reglion and put in gay pride !
  • Yo'Adri... Diane S... 2012/06/11 00:17:02
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +1
    As long as we hang on to our faith....and our will....they cannot win!
  • gaylehelen Diane S... 2012/06/10 22:37:01
    gaylehelen
    +2
    I saw that and was flabbergasted! It wasn't the students who were cheering, but they're the ones being punished. Absolutely ridiculous. Things have gotten out of hand.
  • Diane S... gaylehelen 2012/06/11 02:06:01
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    Right you are way out of hand ! Shocking!
  • DS in Oak Ridge NC 2012/06/10 02:30:31
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    +3
    The inmates are running the asylum better known as the American Education System - proudly Union-Driven for as long as most of us can remember. Great business model... Urge us to spend more to get weaker, less impressive results... year after year.
  • Yo'Adri... DS in O... 2012/06/10 12:07:00 (edited)
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +2
    As usual DS....(for darned smart) you were able to put the essense of my post into one concise comment......YOU ROCK!
  • Schläue~© 2012/06/10 01:59:45
    Schläue~©
    +2
    It would be in the schools best interest to rethink this one and agree for him to wear it under his shirt. The pocket cop-out isn't going to cut it.
    I smell a serious lawsuit, otherwise.
  • Yo'Adri... Schläue~© 2012/06/10 12:10:05
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +3
    I do agree to a point.....He should tuck it in under his shirt......It's really between him and God.....but rather than make a blanket statement to the PRESS......and BAN the wearing of rosary beads....(Which IMHO,are for praying, and not jewelry) The school should have had a quiet conversation with kid who is going thru a traumatic experience right now...and explain the issue before BLOWING it out of proportion and making people choose sides.!
    +2
    For crying out loud ..
    he's honoring his Grandma who is undergoing treatment for Cancer ..
    this is just idiotic of a policy ..
  • Yo'Adri... sglmom 2012/06/10 12:10:41
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +2
    Ther's no room for GOD or sentiment in Communism!
  • john Kills 2012/06/10 01:23:23
  • Yo'Adri... john Kills 2012/06/10 12:12:04
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +1
    Did you see a picture of this kid.?......There are a few thngs I know from seeing it....He is not a gang member.....He isn't hispanic....not even a little bit.....and he loves' his Gramma!
  • john Kills Yo'Adri... 2012/06/10 13:58:25
    john Kills
    +1
    We have been told that We need to be tolerant while They have form their plans of attack on everything that was good in this country. It's time we show them we will not tolerate them anymore. America need to get back to it's core beliefs and those who don't like it need to be tolerant or leave.
  • Yo'Adri... john Kills 2012/06/10 15:46:56
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +1
    TAKE back our country.......A great idea.....Nov can't come soon enough.
  • Yo'Adri... john Kills 2012/06/11 00:19:26
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    Yep...Just today saw a HEADLINE.....NYC declares..."WE MUST BE TOLERANT of
    OTHERS". Yeah right....sit on it BLOOMBERG! pointed side UP!
  • john Kills Yo'Adri... 2012/06/11 00:44:02
    john Kills
    I think we have been far too tolerant for far too long and we have lost our country as a result.
  • Magnus ☮ RP ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/06/10 01:18:35
    Magnus ☮ RP ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    Catholic's aren't Christians anymore than Christian are Catholics, but I agree. Idiot school staff. Anyone want to bet they have a huge double-standard for Muslims? Most schools sure seem too these days...
  • Schläue~© Magnus ... 2012/06/10 01:54:44 (edited)
    Schläue~©
    +1
    Wow.... there went your monthly allotment of brain cells .... up in smoke.

Guess yer screeeeeeewed until the 1st.
  • Magnus ... Schläue~© 2012/06/10 02:16:35
  • Yo'Adri... Magnus ... 2012/06/10 12:14:08 (edited)
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +1
    ...but this kid can't show any sensitivity to what he is going thru?......BTW. Gramma had surgery and is doing well.!
    AMEN> (Don't understand your first sentence tho...could you explain?) I'm Catholic and consider myself CHRISTIAN.....huh?
  • Magnus ... Yo'Adri... 2012/06/11 00:52:33
    Magnus ☮ RP ☮ 2012 ☮
    If we're exactly the same, why do you feel the need to take up a different name for yourselves? And why is Mary reverenced even over Jesus? Fact is that the Catholic's operate on a different law from God's Law. And that is all that I meant. It is the same thing for all of these hundreds of others who have done the same thing, instead of just being Christian and following God's Law (and that includes reading every letter of it yourself rather than having someone else read it and interpret it for you), and by so doing keeping man's tripe and traditions out of it. It wasn't meant to be insulting. But it is the fact of the matter. I myself have chosen to be Christian and to do the work myself, or rather to say keeping even the churches and mere men playing church out of it, my faith is between me and Christ, and through Christ, my Father - only. Hopefully my explanation made some more sense. I should have elaborated that before submitting my opinion here. Sorry I didn't.
  • Doreen 2012/06/09 23:40:47
    Doreen
    +3
    I have an idea. Lets make the kids go to school COMPLETELY naked and there will be NO WAY that there would be gang affiliated wear. This school is completely stupid.
  • Yo'Adri... Doreen 2012/06/10 12:16:16
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +2
    How about they DO SOMETHING substantial about the GANG members.....and leave the rest of us who are still a majority the heck alone?~
  • Doreen Yo'Adri... 2012/06/10 19:11:32
    Doreen
    +1
    I realize that we need to do something about the gangs but it just frustrates me that the moment a gang member decides to wear something that is suddenly off limits to those who are not gang members. The gangs are controlling us and they know it.
  • Yo'Adri... Doreen 2012/06/11 00:21:05
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    exactly my point...thanks.
  • Razoreye001 2012/06/09 23:13:23
    Razoreye001
    +1
    Hey, it's the schools right to ban jewelry they don't like. Quite frankly religions get way too many free passes in our society.
  • Yo'Adrienne..AFCL 2012/06/09 23:09:43
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +3
    Let us not forget a GANG of people who say the ROSARY.......they are called Catholic's and they are CHRISTIANS.....Their tradition started 2000 plus years ago......!
    This has gone too far.....with this "PROGRESSIVE" way of thinking....
  • Schläue~© Yo'Adri... 2012/06/10 02:33:13
    Schläue~©
    +1
    YIPPPEEEEE.... I collected another block on you page.
  • Yo'Adri... Schläue~© 2012/06/10 12:17:26
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +2
    But you gained ten more "friends" for your comments......! Don't sweat the small stuff!
  • Schläue~© Yo'Adri... 2012/06/10 12:39:08
    Schläue~©
    +1
    I just laugh
    There's only a handful that regularly put up questions and I can't get on those pages at all.

2014/09/03 07:28:29