SAY WHAT? Climate Change Deniers in the Media Are Evil?

Christine Lusey 2011/06/24 11:00:00
Hot off the heels of his disagreement with President Obama about video games, former Vice President Al Gore is now making news for publicly denouncing the prez on his climate change policy.

But while discussing the issue on "Hardball," MSNBC's Chris Matthews went off on the "corrupt media on the Right" who continue to deny the very existence of climate change, labeling them "evil" and "really, really wrong."

"Rush Limbaugh says stuff that is just non- well, is just not true. I never use the word lie, but it's appropriate here. People like, you know, Glenn Beck, I heard him months or years ago on the radio before he was on TV saying there's no climate change, playing, pandering to these business types, pandering to people who don't want to deal with reality ... These people are evil in what they're doing! I'm not saying their souls are evil, but what they're doing is really, really wrong and it's not the President. It's this corrupt media on the right. You know, it's corrupt media on the right."

Read More: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/chris-matthews-deniers-...

• Bill G53 ~PWCM~JLA 2011/06/24 11:23:57
    Bill G53  ~PWCM~JLA
    +19
    Chris Matthews is so far to the left he wouldn't know the truth if it bitch-slapped him across his tingly leg. I don't think the science is clear on climate change. I say that not because of Limbaugh or Beck but simply my local weatherman who is not partisan and is not out to grind an ax or push an agenda. His opinion is that there is climate change occuring but it is withing the normal fluctuations of climate change that occur across the eons. That suggests to me that the left-wing loon like Matthews and Gore are simply using the issue to line their pockets.

• Pookie 2011/07/01 17:35:07
    Pookie
    Just uninformed. When the beaches on the Atlantic coast are in the Alleghent Mountains, they may get it!
  • jokeriser 2011/06/27 21:13:23
    jokeriser
    there not evil there just stupid
  • Bob 2011/06/25 21:54:23
    Bob
    But it sounds like Mathews has lots of investment $$$ tied up in green enviromental industries and needs his position to be broadly excepted, less he will take a massive loss.... ;)
  • Russ 2011/06/25 15:15:52
    Russ
    +1
    OMFG that winy b*tch is annoying.

As far as the climate: We have NO IDEA what is even normal for our climate, let alone what is changing it or why its changing. Could you imagine if we had todays technology, political climate, and BS during the last Ice Age ....It would be everyone elses fault and only "we" would be the ones trying to fix it. Sigh. This is just something else put out there to distract people.
  • shadow76 2011/06/25 14:25:42
    shadow76
    +1
    Chris 'I have tingle going up my leg' is the one. Algore is the evil one. Not the ones who disbelieve that we are as powerful that we can change the weather.
  • Gwen 2011/06/25 14:16:32
    Gwen
    +2
    they are just skeptical to the cha ching climate change arguments and are open to scientific data that states that the changes are part of normal cycle changes over a much greater time.
  • Sofahead 2011/06/25 14:03:30
    Sofahead
    +2
    I think Chris Matthews is evil in his need to find people on the Right responsible for a great many things out anyone's control.

I've always had the impression Liberals want people to believe it's 100% man's fault and responsibility, never including in the "discussion"* that we live on a dynamic planet that has a long history of these kind of changes before the appearance of man.

* Liberals always approach this topic as EVERYTHING is perfectly obvious and there's no need for discussion or contesting the data they offer, to do so is being a denier.
  • YouSirName 2011/06/25 14:01:28
    YouSirName
    +1
    It's a little hyperbole, but that is what his show is all about. And he is correct that man is causing environmental change that will very likely result in more and more catastrophic changes that will eventually bring down the human population dramatically. Those who deny the obvious science do so for reasons of greed, so in that sense, yes, they are doing evil.
  • JJ 2011/06/25 14:00:17
    JJ
    +1
    The climate [ seasons will always be ] changes at times...its normal. Even God says we will always have seasons. And we will always have good and bad weather too...tornatoes, hurricains, mud slides, floods, etc. This sounds more like a ploy to gain finacially.
  • Lee The Hybrid Snowflake 2011/06/25 13:51:47
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +1
    Chris Matthews is by far one of the most hateful people ever, especially if you do not agree with him.
  • Bob S 2011/06/25 13:49:16
    Bob S
    +2
    Anything out of Chris Matthews mouth is pure bull. If someone disagrees with him on his stupid show he will out talk them or go to someone else. He is arrogrant, smart ass and certainly very bias left winger. He brags about his credentials which in my mind are zilch. Just about everyone at MSNBC is off the mark. Is there any, I mean any show at MSNBC that beats any correspoding time slot? We all know that FOX makes them look like the losers they are.
  • Franklin 2011/06/25 13:31:54
    Franklin
    +3
    ...he does not like to use the word lie...that is because he knows that it applies to much of what he says . MSNBC was founded to replace news with Liberal lies , it uses facts only when it has no other option available
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2011/06/25 13:17:08
  • JCD aka "biz" 2011/06/25 13:14:35
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    And they are propably paid by the Koch brothers.
  • Bob S JCD aka... 2011/06/25 13:52:02
    Bob S
    I pity the idiots however many there are that pay for slots on MSNBC the sh-- they put out for news. The only ones listening are MSNBC.
  • lawlerskates 2011/06/25 12:07:48
    lawlerskates
    +1
    We all hate you Al Gore go away!
    hate al gore
  • R. 2011/06/25 11:28:34
    R.
    +3
    If Chris Tingle weren't sooo stupid he might be evil. Climate change has been around for years.
    It is called "seasons" and there are 4 of them. There, now tingle off.
  • American☆Atheist 2011/06/25 11:26:55
    American☆Atheist
    +1
    maybe not evil, but stupid.
  • Bob S America... 2011/06/25 13:52:47
    Bob S
    Yes I agree with you that Matthews is stupid, dumb and dumber.
  • America... Bob S 2011/06/26 00:19:52
    American☆Atheist
    +1
    the ppl who deny it.
  • Bob DiN 2011/06/25 10:42:25
    Bob DiN
    +2
    Chris Matthews is just another prejudice MSNBC bastard. I wonder if this dumb propaganda artist gets a tingle up his ass from lying.
  • Bob S Bob DiN 2011/06/25 13:53:24
    Bob S
    I thought that I was the only one that thought like this. Thank you for being so supportive.
  • Bob DiN Bob S 2011/06/25 16:13:59
    Bob DiN
    I'm sure we are not alone. Not everyone suffers from delusion.
  • America... Bob S 2011/06/26 00:18:59
    American☆Atheist
    +3
    watch fox "news" for propaganda
  • Aeder 2011/06/25 09:49:46
    Aeder
    +4
    No, I don't think they're evil. They merely have a different opinion, that's all.
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2011/06/25 08:38:53
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +6
    Chris Matthews is a whiny childish prick who is an absolute insult to the profession of journalism.
  • spike 2011/06/25 08:16:11
    spike
    +5
    Chrissie Matthews is 'weapons grade stupid'
  • Bob S spike 2011/06/25 13:54:22
    Bob S
    +2
    He is so far left on anything and everything. Then there is BIG ED and Rachael Maddog. Wow a cast of jokers.
  • spike Bob S 2011/06/25 20:04:01 (edited)
  • Stuart 2011/06/25 07:39:36
    Stuart
    +4
    I don't know of anyone that denies there is climate change. We just don't believe in man made climate change to the extent we are causing the earth to die. We also are not so arrogant as to believe that we can control the climate to "correct" what the earth has been doing for longer than man started thinking about the weather. The earth has gotten cooler and the earth has gotten warmer.

When I was in elementary school, they were screaming about global cooling due to pollution. They warned us that crops would stop growing and we would all die. Now that my kids are in school, they are told we are going to die due to global warming. Then, they realized that the trend is that the earth is again cooling some. The science is flawed and only fools believe it. Al Gore has a huge mansion that is sucking many times more power than his neighbors. He flies around in jets and to offset all this he sells "credits" by planting trees. He is a hypocrite that is making money off his lies.

Answer a couple of questions for me if you are so worried about the earth. What is the perfect temperature for the earth? And, What is the actual way that we can warm and cool the earth? How do you know when you have done enough?

Everyone is talking about green energy. They came up with Ethan...

Everyone is talking about green energy. They came up with Ethanol and thought that would be an earth friendly way to produce energy. There are a few problems. Ethanol is less efficient than gas so we burn more gas in our cars due to it being there. It also uses more petroleum based fuel to make ethanol than the fuel it replaces. Also, it damages the cars causing the engine to wear out earlier. Also, one of the largest sources of Rain Forest deforestation is cutting down trees to grow corn. The last problem is that with the government subsidizing corn production, it has caused the cost for food corn to sky rocket.

How about hybrid cars? They have a huge carbon footprint because of the way they are made. Then, they don't have as good of a gas mileage as I had in my Ford Festiva 20 years ago. I used to get around 50 miles to the gallon.

How about CFL bulbs? They are made in China, are shipped over to America on ships that burn petroleum based fuels. That more than offsets the "carbon" savings in them. Also, they contain mercury! We banned thermometers when I was younger because of the mercury they contained. Now we have bulbs that require us to leave the room for 30 minutes before cleaning them up if they break because they are toxic. We are also supposed to dispose of them properly. How many do you think wind up in the landfill instead?

It is a hoax to give people power and money. Most of the ways they suggest to fix it are usually worse than what we have and are sometimes dangerous.

I doubt you would find anyone that thinks global warming is a hoax that would say it isn't a good thing to look for alternative energy sources. I would personally like to have an electric car but they don't work for most people. Plus, for now, the "electric cars" are still run by coal or oil in most cases. Where do you think the electricity comes from?
  • Mr. T Stuart 2011/06/25 09:05:04
    Mr. T
    +1
    You've got a long post; however, I'll try to address it paragraph by paragraph - starting with the second.

Pointing out that there have been mistakes in climatological models in the past (roughly 40 years ago now?) is a valid reason for disbelieving what the models predict today. However, to ignore those models simply because they use to say something different ignores the idea that science and scientists are constantly attempting to improve the accuracy of their theories based on better data, improved communication, and a stronger understanding of extremely complex environmental interactions.

There is no "perfect" temperature and no one will ever claim that there should be a perfect temperature. However, there are fluctuations and deviations from the mean temperature which can have dire consequences. Warming and Cooling the planet can be accomplished in numerous ways. For example, increasing green house gases will warm the planet and increasing upper atmospheric clouds should cool the planet. Again, achieving an "ideal" temperature or change is not the goal. Understand that the planet will be fine regardless of what we do - it's the affect on wildlife (including humans) and fauna which should concern you.

You're correct about Ethanol to a certain extent. Corn based ethanol is va...

You're correct about Ethanol to a certain extent. Corn based ethanol is vastly inefficient relative to the amount of resources necessary to grow corn. Saw grass based ethanol would have been a much more efficient and effective method for harvesting ethanol. Unfortunately, the "saw grass" lobby didn't have much play with Bush Jr or his constituents.

Hybrid cars are still, for the most part, a vast improvement over the average car found on the US highways today. Pointing out that there was a car with better gas mileage 20 years ago doesn't mean that a significant portion of the US population drives those cars (or that they are still made).

CFL bulbs should last for roughly 30 years. Their carbon footprint is vastly lower than a bulb that has to be replaced every two years. As for "leaving a room for 30 minutes after being broken?" Well I will admit that is news to me so I have no comment.

Electric cars are still vastly more efficient and have a much lower rate of consumption relative to gasoline based vehicles because of the efficiency rate for power companies converting coal or oil into electricity. Furthermore, because they run on electricity - given enough technology and economies of scale, they could be powered eventually by green energy methods such as solar, wind, or geothermal. There's no reason not to invest in the technology now.
  • Franklin Mr. T 2011/06/25 13:29:36
    Franklin
    wow you start by ignoring that ALL “global warming” science is based on data that is now known to be false -and- then you jump straight in an post one lie after another ! CFL's do not last longer than conventional bulbs – electric cars cost MORE over all to build and operate – ethanol does NOT use more energy than it produces ….every thing you posted is WRONG ! You are deeply deluded and just repeating lies
  • Mr. T Franklin 2011/06/25 14:36:51
    Mr. T
    Woah..."ALL global warming science is based on false data?" How in the world are temperature recordings from literally thousands of sensors and temperature measurements from ice cores, tree rings, etc. "false?" I'd love to see some source to support that claim. And if you even TRY to raise "climategate" as some kind of proof that "all" the information is falsified...then I will refuse to listen to you until you have read the every email released.

Secondly, yes - CFLs last 8-15 times longer than conventional bulbs (Source - http://www.nef.org.uk/energys...

Electric cars may cost more to build and operate - that wasn't the issue.

Again, there are several different types of ethanol fuels. Corn based ethanol is not very efficient because the corn crop is very water intensive. If you used a less water intensive crop, like saw grass, then the efficiency is drastically improved.
  • Franklin Mr. T 2011/06/25 15:32:10
    Franklin
    nice try but global temps are not up - that fact does not fit with your agenda but it is a fact. email's from people who make a living singing about “man made global warming” ? Grow up kid – I switched all my lights to CFL's 8 years ago and it is a fact that they do NOT last longer than conventional bulbs when used as a replacement for said same bulb / in fact I only get about 6 months out of a CFL before it needs replaced , anyone who says different is trying to sell bulbs.
    Electric cars cost more to build and have a shorter life -span higher maintenance cost – lower over all “work load” capacity / add to that the fact that electricity does not come from clean “magic” and it can not be stored ! And the cost + pollution of replacing a real car with an electric one is actually wasteful in every way....a single gallon of gas holds 29,000 kilowatts of power and can be stored for a very long time with out losing its stored energy ...fact is that a gallon of gas than 660 pounds of lithium Ion batteries and does not lose >5% of its stored energy per day.
  • Mr. T Franklin 2011/06/25 16:11:24
    Mr. T
    Dude...you keep saying that global temps are not up, but I have literally 15 sources at the click of a finger that say otherwise. PLEASE find me a source that says differently.

As for your own personal anecdotal evidence with CFLs? Not really gonna convince me.
  • Franklin Mr. T 2011/06/26 14:38:57
    Franklin
    well then your brain dead - good luck worshiping at the foot of your masters ...funny how you are far to lazy to try even the easiest of your "great ideas" . Or are you not able to buy a $2 light bulb and use it until it fails ? And what is stopping you ? Why does EVERYONE ells have to change (but not you) ...you links are all trash and you know it / post them and they will fall like dominoes as they are all based on lies and "pumped up" data....
  • Mr. T Franklin 2011/06/26 16:41:03
    Mr. T
    Great. At a boy. You insult me and yet still avoid posting even ONE link with support for your claim that the temperature results are "based on lies and 'pumped up' data."

Let me just start off with a basic question - do you trust NASA data recordings?
  • Pedro Doller ~Inc. 2011/06/25 06:46:05
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    +4
    Chris Mathews needs to put his money where his mouth is. He needs to stop using all electronic devices, computers, cell phones, start walking to work, turn the power off in his house, grow his own food in the back yard, stop wearing cotton fabrics, he would do this if he really cared.
  • Mr. T Pedro D... 2011/06/25 08:42:20
    Mr. T
    Accusing someone of hypocrisy is a logically fallacious argument. You are attacking the person rather than the merits of his argument.
  • Pedro D... Mr. T 2011/06/25 09:40:34 (edited)
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    +3
    I don't have a problem attacking Chris Mathews.

How do you propose to address Peak Lithium? This stuff is very bad when extracted, processed and then a major problem to dispose of. It is not readily available, and in more shortage than oil. Alternative technology needs to be developed, what we have now is the stuff of hip mass hysteria and just doesn't offer a solution.

Other new technologies such as solar and bio fuels require vast amounts of Rare Earths. These are not readily available, located mostly in China and our war zones. They are also controlled by very restricted cartels. Extracting, processing and transporting these do an extensive amount of environmental damage not to mention the vast amount of energy they require to process. That energy will have to be Nuclear or Coal. When these materials have reached the end of their life span, their disposal will cause toxic dumps like we have never seen before.

Seems like these ideas are very warm and fuzzy but no thought has been given to the end result. If we are not careful, being Green could be what kills us.

2014/08/21 18:21:02