Say it ain't so--Do you believe that computers actually make you less productive?

Jamesy818 [Raccoon VP] 2007/09/14 00:08:21
No, computers have come so far in 20 years!
Yes they do, I can't do anything on a computer!
It holds true still because computers offer more distractions. I've never seen a typewriter with solitaire and youtube
A study conducted by the Sloan School of Management in 1986 found that it takes a person more time to type something on a computer than if they did the same task on a typewriter. Is this still true today?

• Ginnypoo 2007/10/13 21:58:49
    It holds true still because computers offer more distractions. I've never see...
    Ginnypoo
    The reason it took longer was because they changed the keyboard to work with the pc better. People used to typewriters had to keep stopping to look at their fingers to find the 'new' keys. People that have never seen or used a typewriter have no similar problems. And I'm pretty sure even my hunt-and-peck approach has improved over the years too since after high school I became a floral designer, not alot of typing there. It wasn't until pcs began being used to relay orders that I even attempted to type anything (and my best score in school was 38 wpm,so) I sucked for years. Now I have my own system and it works ok. I got a new pc this year and the keyboard is just slightly smaller so my proofreading has increased, and spelling errors abound. It's the change of equipment that slows productivity, not the equipment itself..... we are creatures of habit, afterall.
  • ARMENTHIA 2007/09/15 13:06:56
    ARMENTHIA
    Two fold thing.

1. Yes, we've come along ways concerning technology and in my job I'm able to do ALOT more research and it's made easier all because of the computer.

2. HOWEVER, it has made many lazy physically and mentally....it has deaden many to a point of them gaining weight for lack of exercise and distraction from housework and even taking care of themselves.

So, it's a good and bad thing but not of it's own.
  • Alicia 2007/09/15 00:29:06
    Alicia
    i don't know..i type pretty quickly..so if something was going to distract me on the computer..then it would have to do so quite quickly in order to succeed in getting me away from what i'm typing..haha
  • highdesertgemini 2007/09/14 18:36:19
    highdesertgemini
    No, computers do not make us less productive -- at least not in the sense that it takes longer to type on one than it does a typewriter. For me, typing on my computer is faster and more accurate than on the last typewriter I used. What makes us less productive is our tendency to let the other things on our computers distract us. Even then, with the speed of computers, we get more done in less time -- multitasking as we go. Spell-check keeps most of us from looking like idiots -- unless we choose to ignore the corrections or choose to use computerese which makes us look like total fools. So, productivity isn't really the issue to me.
  • Magzilla 2007/09/14 18:15:43
    Magzilla
    It isn't true for me but someone like my mom, it is totally true.
  • Ant~ All Woman All Amazing~ 2007/09/14 13:05:25
    Ant~ All Woman All Amazing~
    Well not for me , typewriters are slow , and often jammed .
  • roger 2007/09/14 11:47:33
    roger
    There is that distinct possibility. They do; because it can take you from your focused objective. And many times it does.
  • whatever 2007/09/14 10:49:12
    whatever
    hahahaha so has Sloan School of Management done a survey since then? I do believe that I can get more done faster on a pc than i could on a typewriter and still have time for solitaire and sodahead
  • Former Bronx Girl 2007/09/14 10:22:26
    Former Bronx Girl
    Are you kidding, I can't live without my computer!! Anyway, the computer is only as efficient as the person using it : )
  • BIGFOOT 2007/09/14 09:54:29
    BIGFOOT
    The person behind the computer is the cause for the slow down in productivity. A computer is only as productive or smart as the person operating it.
  • Gramma Lil 2007/09/14 03:47:36
    Gramma Lil
    I love the computer. It's the best thing to shop, pay bills, save on gas, research for school and work, airport schedules, ect. ect. ect. I love it for my whole family. It's a great way to keep in touch no matter how far away they are.
  • B4Real2Me 2007/09/14 02:54:36
    B4Real2Me
    Heck no, I get so much more done in less time and I still have time to play games, check e-mails, etc.

It's got to the point that when my server goes down that I practically panic. I do as much troubleshooting myself to make sure it's nothing that I can solve and when I have to call the problem in, I've sounded so antsy that the serviceman has been at my door within an hour or two to solve my situation.
  • reminder 2007/09/14 02:43:20
    reminder
    But I could never type well so actually the computer is easier for corrections and your work can be saved so you can take a break and go on Sh and no one would be the wiser unless they looked over your shoulder. And the you do have the email interruptions.
  • fostersusa 2007/09/14 02:37:07
    fostersusa
    +1
    ....if you know how to do what you want to do....and can stay focu......oh look....another happening...
  • lonewolf 2007/09/14 00:57:51
    lonewolf
    no i'm very productive here on sodahead.
  • GEMINII : queen of hope 2007/09/14 00:47:52
    GEMINII : queen of hope
    +1
    when i get on the computer sometimes i dont do a damn thing that i was supposed to do im glad i dont use a computer at work id never get anything done!
  • BoyOfTheEnders 2007/09/14 00:40:00
    BoyOfTheEnders
    At some businesses, they have computers that can do nothing but the task that the worker is supposed to do... this is highly productive..

I'd have to say computers can be an ultimate end, or a new begining to the human race...

2014/08/30 14:36:22