Satellite Collision Creates Debris Clouds: Is this another reason for Global Warming?

SAM 2009/02/13 01:07:43
This is the very reason for our globle warming. Too much debris up there.
Satellites have nothing to do with global warming.
Scientists are monitoring orbital debris created when two satellites, one American and one Russian, crashed into each other nearly 500 miles above Siberia on Tuesday. NASA said the collision was the first high-speed impact between two intact spacecraft. With all the satellites up there, it seems that we are also polluting outer space.

• Silky pal of Jesus 2009/02/13 04:37:58 (edited)
    Silky pal of Jesus
    +6
    everything goes in cycles. The planet was tropical when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and the planet had an ice age. I don't think there is anything we can do to effect it one way or the other. But then again, the global warming could be caused by all the hot air coming out of capital hill.

• feretta 2009/02/18 20:56:01
    feretta
    at least as far as we have heard from the scientific community
  • The Great Simonski 2009/02/17 23:51:38
    The Great Simonski
    The real risk is the increasing effect of Kessler Syndrome and the ever-increasing probability of an Ablation Cascade, which would render space-related endeavours impossible for generations.
  • vet 2009/02/17 23:48:06
    vet
    i don't think globle warming is for real. i believe it's just another way to get our money. how much money has been spent on this and if it is real what do we do about it? give more money!
  • wow-really 2009/02/17 19:07:36
    wow-really
    I don't know if they do or don't, but i do know that the earth has a way a cleansing itself. It has since the begining of time and will continue to do so , so i'm not sure if we humans are just making the earth speed up the process or not. Space is no where near as polluted as some parts of the earth so i really don't think that has much to do with it.
  • Lydia Chris 2009/02/17 07:56:45
    Lydia Chris
    Yes it is another reason for global warming! I dont actually know about the satellite but i'm guessing clouds is not a good thing?
  • chas 2009/02/17 05:40:58
    chas
    But that JUNK will land somewhere!!! Heads -UP!!
  • Skyla11377 2009/02/15 16:47:33
    Skyla11377
    I would have picked Undecided but that wasn't an option.
  • Elizabeth 2009/02/15 04:51:58
    Elizabeth
    This is a totally illogical premise, however, the consequences of the colliding satellites may well be cause for alarm in other areas.
  • Royal Warrior 2009/02/15 03:07:40
    Royal Warrior
    When I consider the reflective properties of the debris, I concluded that they don't contribute to global warming. Being outside the earth's atmosphere, they reflect solar rays back OUT into space, and would probably have a net cooling effect on the earth. Maybe all the scientists that are screaming that the sky is falling, should insist that we send up more satellites and then purposfully blow them up to help slow or reverse global warming.
  • poet4justice 2009/02/14 05:21:19
    poet4justice
    another excuse for not looking on what causes real g satellites global warming excuse real lobal warming
  • Irish Weatherman 2009/02/13 23:46:36
    Irish Weatherman
    +1
    I would say it had something to do with global wrming if it actually existed...but since it doesn't I will say I think we are going to be just fine.
  • davidh BN-0 2009/02/13 18:34:24
    davidh BN-0
    I don't know what causes global warming. NOBODY truely does. I would think that these collisions would be less likely if there was more communication between governments though. Kinda shows how we have let that communication slide.
  • SkyBluePink 2009/02/13 16:39:12
    SkyBluePink
    Could not have helped global warming. Everything is connected. In one way or another every has some thing to do with every thing.
  • rouserbugs 2009/02/13 15:46:09
    rouserbugs
    Just another attach on our satellites, and controls being tested to knock us out of the sky, steal money via ATM's, breakin's at the Pentagon computers. Do we need to know more about who done it
  • Carla 2009/02/13 15:16:24
    Carla
    Global warming has to do with holes in the Ozone layer, not sure if satellites have anything to do with it or not.
  • disturbedone 2009/02/13 12:43:29
    disturbedone
    This is somthing that Obama's liberal conservative party instead of diminishing the the only good things America has left like Gitmo, guns, and anti gay and abortion laws. Satellites have nothing to do with global warming, that has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard!! I agree with Silky, all that hot air that is causing global warming is probably coming right off of Capitol Hill where Mr. Obama spends all his time. Look and a heat infrared sateliite and you would probably see a shit ton of red... Unless that one crashed due to global warming too!?!?!
    -DisturbedOne4701
  • Cindy 2009/02/13 12:26:31
    Cindy
    +1
    The sun is responsible for our climate.
  • Spider20 2009/02/13 05:58:16
    Spider20
    On the serious side....it can be things like this that throw up smoke screens which inhibit out getting to the real problems at hand.....
  • pkeyrich 2009/02/13 05:53:27
    pkeyrich
    As satellites orbit Earth, they eventually do both a blockage of sunlight (cooling effect) and reflection of sunlight (mostly at night). I think think their physical presence is an issue to global warming, but perhaps all of the added radiation from signals sent to and from them are the contributors to global warming. I wonder how many of them use microwaves, etc
  • Lynn 2009/02/13 05:36:27
    Lynn
    +2
    ... But I'm sure Algore will tie it into his hoax just the same.....
  • Observant1 2009/02/13 05:01:39 (edited)
    Observant1
    +2
    We all know that global warming is caused by foot odor and gas passed by cattle. But don't stop the funding for research just yet. Global cooling is next which is caused by kids running out the house in the summer and leaving the door wide open with the AC on. Close the dam door! What do you live in a barn!
  • ctuagentdown 2009/02/13 04:44:49
    ctuagentdown
    +1
    all that empty space and we have collisions sounds like drunk drivers
  • Elizabeth ctuagen... 2009/02/15 04:53:55
    Elizabeth
    It's not empty any more!
    Silky pal of Jesus
    +6
  • Anouser Silky p... 2009/02/15 07:32:57
    Anouser
    That capital hill comment made me holler in laughter...that was rich, made my night.
    +2
    Sheesh ... most of the stuff will burn up into nothing as it enters the earth's atmosphere .. resulting in very little actually hitting any part of the earth at all. (Hey, I do enjoy Science -- and yes, am a bit of a geek).

I think that Global Warming is caused by Hypocrites with HUGE Mansions, big Urban Tanks, Personal Jets, making OODLES of $$$$$ off the Carbon Credit Trade Deals they are personally brokering and inflated egos that seems to think that their Army of Lawyers can impose their will on the rest of America!

(after all, think of all the trees that were sacrificed to file all those lawsuits -- gosh .. a whole forest lost because someone was a 'sore' loser!).
  • DADDYFATS61 2009/02/13 04:18:54
    DADDYFATS61
    +2
    No satellites don't cause global warming. It is coming from all the hot air coming out of washington D.C. oh yeah real "CHANGE"....
  • ruserious652 2009/02/13 04:17:03 (edited)
    ruserious652
    +5
    There may be a lot of satelites in earth orbit right now...but there is a heck of a lot more space between those satelites...that`s one reason why it`s called space.

That`s why such collisions are rare...and also why this has absolutely nothing at all to do with Global Warming!

On top of that, satelites are relatively small...small enough that any sunlight blocked, etc., would be such a small amount...as to be insignificant!
  • Adjusting my sails 2009/02/13 03:15:17
  • myssabz 2009/02/13 02:55:48
    myssabz
    +3
    Actually I believe that global warming is caused by all the hot air that bellows out from all the heads of state. satellites global warming global warming caused hot air bellows heads
  • Elizabeth myssabz 2009/02/15 04:57:39
    Elizabeth
    +2
    Great 'toon. Couldn't say it better!
  • Barb 2009/02/13 02:37:57
    Barb
    +1
    At least I think that is correct, I feel it is caused by people having 14 to 18 kids in a short amount of time. Overpopulation, that also covers most of our other problems!!!
  • sglmom Barb 2009/02/13 04:20:45
    Ah ... I do believe that IVF should NOT happen to those who can NOT provide for their EXISTING Children in the first place (and who are relying on Public Aid to pay their household expenses (While also living with their parent as a 33 year old!).
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2009/02/13 02:36:18
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +1
    Um... I believe the key word here is GLOBAL. Duh.
  • DLO 2009/02/13 02:32:00 (edited)
    DLO
    +2
    Of course.. Just ask a LIBERAL, they can explain it to ya...LMAO. Ha ha ha ha ha ha. This is good stuff. But seriously, it is as good, or better than ANY other "excuse", or BS reason that's been given.. by the "environmentalist whacko's" try to use, to try to explain a "made up" problem, that doesn't really exist. It is a proven fact, that the earth has cooled a half of degree this last year. Additionally, 2007 was one of, 8, of the warmest temperature's recorded since the early 1800's. So, the earth, believe it or not.. even though this sounds REALLY CRAZY.. actually goes in cycles.. Yeah, I know, who would've ever figured, right..?
  • Adjusti... DLO 2009/02/13 03:16:32
  • Joker 23 *I AM THE LAW* 2009/02/13 02:18:51 (edited)
    Joker 23 *I AM THE LAW*
    +2
    Now you're being a smarta$$ :)
  • DADDYFA... Joker 2... 2009/02/13 04:22:24
    DADDYFATS61
    +1
    that's better than no a$$
  • Joker 2... DADDYFA... 2009/02/13 04:23:34
    Joker 23 *I AM THE LAW*
    True :)
  • Bun 2009/02/13 01:55:16
    Bun
    +1
    All things have an effect on our environment... don't you know that, including the deadly junk "we" shoot into space!

2014/04/21 15:06:15