Sarah Palin Has Clear (And Legal) Shot At Biographer

Yes, he’s a journalist just doing his job.
No, it’s creepy and the Palins should keep an eye on him.
I think the McGinnis situation is …
We’ve all had them: those pesky, Ned Flanders-like neighbors constantly poking their head up over the 10-foot tall fence we erected to keep them out to avoid their constant stream of annoying questions and comments.

You may have even fantasized at times about firing a warning shot over their heads just to make your message clear. Well, according to a recent editorial in the Alaskan paper, “Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman,” the kerfuffle over author Joe McGinnis moving in next door to half-term former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin could have a deadly ending if the Fox News pundit chooses to pull the trigger.

Palin has already garnered headlines for luridly suggesting that McGinnis might try to peek into daughter Piper’s bedroom from his new vantage point, or into the “family’s swimming hole,” which is actually the public Lake Lucille. And Fox News’ Glenn Beck has accused the award-winning author of “stalking” Palin, who has an undergraduate degree in journalism and should probably know what a reporter can/should do in order to get an investigative biography done right.

Cranking up the already heated rhetoric, in the piece entitled “Wasilla Fence Fascination For National Media Outlets,” the “Frontiersman” ended its editorial with the ominous warning: “Those who are fond of Joe McGinnis might remind him (if he doesn't already know) that Alaska has a law that allows the use of deadly force in protection of life and property.”

Do you think too much is being made of the McGinnis’ situation?

• Vic 2010/06/02 19:17:07
    Vic
    +12
    The people of Wasilla should take pics and videos of McGinnis everywhere he goes, and post them all on the net.

• jimiwhitten 2010/06/05 00:25:58
    jimiwhitten
    They should retalliate!
  • Goldie 2010/06/03 17:16:41
    Goldie
    +1
    I don't want anyone watching my family everyday in order to make a hit piece for their book. Anybody would be highly upset, especially when you have kids. I don't care if you don't like Sarah Palin, put yourself in her shoes on this one. This is why some people move into gated communities and check everyone who wants to move into the neigborhood, to keep crap like this from happening. This guy is only doing this for ratings, trying to sell his piece of crap book. The only people going to read his book are people that already dis-likes Sarah. I've seen vile reponses from people on here that I find disgusting about Sarah, none of it makes any sense. I understand if you don't like her political view points but you don't have go after her character. I think it makes you look just as bad. I don't agree with the direction of this country under Obama but I don't hate the guy and would never say anything bad about his family. So Mr. McGinnis is a creep, no one should by his stupid book because of this. Its really appauling.
  • jenlduu Goldie 2010/06/04 03:06:45
    jenlduu
    Actually Palin has no character.
  • Goldie jenlduu 2010/06/04 23:30:33
    Goldie
    explain your answer of Palin having no character, just don't throw barbs and leave. If you really feel something, get it out, civily of course.
  • Bill in Niantic 2010/06/03 16:54:39
    Bill in Niantic
    +1
    I think Sarah Palin would be a great neighbor, unless your a stupid progressive (_*_).
  • shenendoah 2010/06/03 16:49:58
    shenendoah
    +1
    This man is out to make trouble. As much as I dislike obama I would hate to see him and his family treated this way.
  • Zoderi 2010/06/03 16:45:37
    I think the McGinnis situation is …
    Zoderi
    is being blown out of portion! Seems to me the people that protest the most, have something to hide. And the statement "hat McGinnis might try to peek into daughter Piper's bedroom". I guess now she has ESP and can tell the future. Sarah Palin is an A** and will always be one in my book.
  • Goldie Zoderi 2010/06/03 17:23:37
    Goldie
    Try being in her shoes for once. Do you have a daughter, I do and I worry about her all the time. We alll know there are some pretty creepy people out there right now. Just watch the nightly news, you always here about some one be burglarized, raped, beat up and all sort of vile actions. I would wonder if Sarah didn't want to protect her family from this guy. We all see paparazzi trying to get photos of hollywood types. Some of the pictures from hill sides and running after cars are just disgusting. So take the politics out of this one and feel bad this creep is doing this to her and the family.
  • Zoderi Goldie 2010/06/03 18:16:17 (edited)
    Zoderi
    +1
    Yes i do have a daughter. And we live in New York City, where every second of the day a crime is happening and my daughter is now an adult and has never been harmed. And yes i see pictures of the paparazzi running after people trying to get photos to sell to tabloids - that the people fault - if people didnt buy the tabloid magazines, there would be no demand for them.
    As far as Palin concern, she put herself in the public eye and this is one of the downfalls that comes with it. If she really wanted to protect her family, she would never have accepted the nomination, never wrote a book and did any interviews.
    As I said before, people that protest the most are the people who have something to hide. And Palin, does do a whole lot of protesting. She lashed out at the news media, when they were talking about her, but she took a job in the news media.
    And her statement "that McGinnis MIGHT try to peek in her daughters room", sounds like she is trying discredit McGinnis on a personal level. She is playing bait and swtich. Dont look at me, he's the unsavory person.
    Does anyone have any proof that McGinnis is an unsavory person. My understanding is he is doing an "investigative biography". I've read a lot of writers, when writng a book, go and do research for their book. So, how come McGinnis going to Alaska is now a creepy thing?
  • Goldie Zoderi 2010/06/04 23:37:08
    Goldie
    +1
    I'm glad your daughter never got hurt or bothered, I'm sure it didn't stop you from worrying though. My daughter never got hurt either but as a father I ALWAYS worried about her. I don't agree with the statement just because a person is in the lime light they deserve to be hounded by people. I always say treat people how you want to be treated. I doubt if this guy would like someone moving next door knowing its a book writer trying to make a hits piece. I know tabloid magazines are disgusting in how they portray people sometimes. I wouldn't like it either. I'm sorry but we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Know one should be bothered just because there famous.
  • Zoderi Goldie 2010/06/06 15:39:06
    Zoderi
    Goldie, I understand what your saying, but I stand by my opinion - If Sarah Palin did not want to be scrutinized - she should have stayed a private citizen. Did she not write a book, did she not do interviews and put herself in front of the public? And I agree with your statement that people in the limelight shouldnt be hounded by the press or paparazzi, but that's the way things have evolved in this country and you can thank the press for that and the people that buy those gossip magazines
    Now that McGinnis is writng an investigate biography about Palin - she making herself seem like she is a victim. Sarah Palin knows how to work the media. She phrases things in a way to incite fear, hatred and animosity (mispelled) in people. Her statement that "McGinnis MIGHT (might be the key word in the sentence) look in her daughter's room" - well did he look in her daughters room? That statement is implying that McGinnis is a pedophile. Is there any proof that McGinnis is a pedophile or has done any unsavory thing to her family. No, there isnt, But the way she phrased it, it was incite people, it's like being in a crowded movies and screaming fire, and it's start s riot. That is my point of view, she getting people riled up and nothing has happened
    During the election champaign I watc...
    During the election champaign I watched every town hall gathering and every speech that every candidate did. And how come the ones that SaraH Palin spoke in the people in the crowd were angry and the sense of hatred were felt even through a televsion broadcast. How come Goldie?
  • DillyD55 Zoderi 2010/06/06 20:51:43
    DillyD55
    So, your opinion is that Sarah should never have run for office if she didn't want to be scrutinized? Have bad things wrote about her and her family? She is not entitled to privacy or respect because she went into politics?

Well, gonna turn the tables. Did not Obama write a book about his life. Did he not seek office and notoriety? Yet, we are not to say a thing about Obama or his family? Not to mention things that he wrote in his book about his past? Question who he has dealings with? Do you not feel that the President gets people riled when he does not listen to the people about what they want? He does not listen when we say to cut the spending? He does not listen to us when we want no more bailouts? Not to grow the government bigger? That we don't want Cap and Trade? He just continues to push his agenda and makes fun of the people that are against his spending. If this does not ask for people to be upset at him, I don't know what does. He has divided this nation more than any other President has ever done and now when people are voicing their dissent, they are labeled racists. Which is a worse label, racist or socialist? Both equally bad.

Just remember, putting yourself in the public should entitle people some privacy when they are at home. Nothing more than you or I would want.
  • Zoderi DillyD55 2010/06/07 14:32:21
    Zoderi
    First off , this question wasnt about Obama it was about Palin. But since you, like so many others on this site get off topic and want to rant and rave about him, here goes:

Obama did write a book and yes he is in a publice office and EVERYDAY I read something written about him and his family and I see something on TV about him and/or his family

As far as not grow the government bigger. If the last adminstration would have kept watch on Wall Street and the Banks - we would not have this housing crisis and Wall Street would not have had a meltdown. And in turn we would not have had to bail out anyone.

A far as cap and trade I dont know enough about that subject to comment. But I will read up on it and get back to you.

And please give me an example of Obama making fun of people.

And I strongly disagree with you about Obama being the President that has divided this Country more than any other President. In my opinion Bush held that title. And as far as him pushing his agenda, well didnt Bush push his agenda so far that it alienated out Country from other nations in the World, So in MY opinion Bush also hold this title.

Below is a list of Bush failures that support my opinion:

January 2001
    20 On the day of George W. Bush’s inauguration, Chief of Staff Andrew Card is...

January 2001
    20 On the day of George W. Bush’s inauguration, Chief of Staff Andrew Card issues a sixty-day moratorium halting all new health, safety, and environmental regulations issued in the final days of the Clinton administration.
    23 On the twenty-eighth anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision, Bush reinstates the “global gag rule” barring U.S. funding for abortion counseling abroad.
    February 2001
    5 Bush suspends Clinton’s “roadless rule” protecting nearly sixty million acres of forests from logging and road-building.
    17 Bush signs four anti-union executive orders, including measures to prohibit “project labor agreements” at federal construction sites and to remove job protections for union employees whose companies lose federal contracts.
    26 Senate Republicans introduce a bill to open up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil exploration.
    March 2001
    7 At the urging of President Bush, Congress repeals ergonomic regulations designed to protect workers from repetitive-stress injuries.
    9 Bush issues an executive order to prevent mechanics at Northwest Airlines from going on strike.
    14 Bush abandons his campaign pledge to regulate carbon dioxide emissions from power plants.
    20 Bush administration moves to overturn a Clinton regulation reducing the allowable level of arsenic in drinking water.
    28 Bush backs out of Kyoto treaty on global warming.
    April 2001
    4 United States Department of Agriculture proposes lifting a requirement that all beef used in federal school lunch programs must be tested for salmonella; the proposal is dropped two days later.
    9 Department of Interior proposes a limit on lawsuits seeking protection of endangered species.
    May 2001
    11 Bush administration abandons international effort to crack down on offshore tax havens.
    16 Vice President Dick Cheney’s task force releases its “National Energy Policy” report, calling for weaker environmental regulations and massive subsidies for the oil and gas, coal, and nuclear power industries.
    26 Congress passes $1.35 trillion tax cut.
    29 Bush meets with California governor Gray Davis but refuses to impose federal price controls to curtail California’s energy crisis.
    June 2001
    19 Cheney refuses to release records of energy task force meetings to the General Accounting Office.
    21 Bush threatens to veto McCain-Kennedy patients’ bill of rights legislation.
    28 Attorney General John Ashcroft announces a policy that would require gun records be destroyed one day after a background check rather than ninety days later.
    July 2001
    9 Bush administration opposes UN treaty to curb international trafficking in small arms and light weapons.
    26 Bush administration rejects international treaty on germ warfare and biological weapons.
    August 2001
    6 Presidential Daily Briefing warns “Bin Ladin [sic] Determined to Strike in U.S.”
    9 Bush limits stem cell research to “existing lines.”
    September 2001
    6 Justice Department drops effort to break up Microsoft, hoping to speed settlement of antitrust lawsuit.
    11 Terrorists crash hijacked airliners into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, killing thousands.
    22 Bush signs $15 billion airline bailout.
    October 2001
    26 Bush signs the USA Patriot Act.
    29 Justice Department acknowledges but won’t identify more than one thousand individuals, mostly immigrants, detained since September 11 attacks.
    31 Ashcroft authorizes monitoring of attorney-client conversations in terrorism investigations.
    November 2001
    1 Bush issues executive order blocking the release of presidential records.
    13 Bush orders that “enemy combatants” be tried in military tribunals.
    14 Justice Department issues regulations allowing illegal immigrants to be detained indefinitely if their release could pose “serious adverse foreign-policy consequences.”
    December 2001
    11 White House commission recommends privatizing Social Security.
    12 Bush informs congressional leaders that he intends to pull out of the Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty unilaterally.
    18 Congress passes $26.4 billion “No Child Left Behind” Act.
    27 Bush repeals “responsible contractor rule” that had required scrutiny of safety and environmental law violations in the awarding of federal contracts.
    January 2002
    11 First Afghan prisoners arrive at “Camp X-Ray” in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba; Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld declares them “unlawful combatants” with no rights under the Geneva Convention.
    16 Cheney refuses to provide details of his multiple meetings with Enron officials.
    25 In a memo to the president, White House counsel Alberto Gonzales writes that “the new paradigm” of the war on terror “renders obsolete” the Geneva Conventions’ “strict limitations on questioning of enemy prisoners and renders quaint some of its provisions.”
    February 2002
    14 White House unveils its “Clear Skies” initiative calling for voluntary reductions of three major pollutants; the plan would delay by a decade reductions required under existing law.
    15 Bush approves Yucca Mountain—located ninety miles northwest of Las Vegas—as the nation’s lone repository for high-level nuclear waste.
    28 IRS records reveal increases in audits of the working poor; audits of large corporations and the rich drop to all-time lows.
    March 2002
    1 News reports reveal that Bush activated a “shadow government” after September 11 attacks without telling Congress; civilian administrators are being sequestered in underground bunkers in case of a terrorist attack.
    5 Bush’s welfare reform proposal advises paying “workfare” recipients less than the minimum wage.
    10 Pentagon’s “Nuclear Posture Review” calls for new, “low-yield” nuclear weapons and lists seven “rogue” nations as possible targets for a nuclear attack.
    27 Bush signs McCain-Feingold bill banning soft money behind closed doors, then departs immediately for a fund-raising trip.
    April 2002
    2 Bush administration opposes the reappointment of climatologist Robert Watson as head on the UN Intergovernmental Panel of Climate Change.
    5 Office of Management and Budget prevents the EPA from declaring a public health emergency over dangerous asbestos fibers that come from a Montana mine and are used in insulation throughout the country.
    12 Bush officials express support for the ouster of Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez; a day after Chavez returns to power, White House admits that U.S. officials had met with coup plotters.
    17 Administration insiders admit military tactical errors allowed Osama bin Laden to escape December 2001 battle at Tora Bora.
    May 2002
    3 EPA alters its definition of “fill material” to allow coal companies to dump rubble from “mountaintop removal” mining into valleys and streams.
    6 Bush voids the U.S. signature on the treaty to establish an International Criminal Court.
    23 Senate joins the House in approving “fast-track” trade authority for the president.
    30 Ashcroft removes restrictions on domestic spying by the FBI in counterterrorism investigations; new guidelines permit monitoring of political and religious groups without probable cause.
    June 2002
    1 President unveils “Bush doctrine” of preemptive war in a speech at West Point.
    5 National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration weakens standards on under-inflated tires despite problems at Firestone that caused hundreds of deaths.
    10 Ashcroft announces that alleged “dirty bomber” José Padilla, an American citizen arrested a month earlier at Chicago’s O’Hare airport, is being held indefinitely as an “enemy combatant.”
    July 2002
    14 SEC Chairman Harvey Pitt says he’ll release the entire files on the investigation into Bush’s sale of $800,000 in Harken Energy stock if asked by the president; the president doesn’t ask.
    15 Bush administration unveils the “Terrorism Information and Prevention System,” or Operation TIPS, a toll-free hotline encouraging meter readers and truck drivers to report “suspicious activity.”
    22 State Department announces it will withhold $34 million in international family planning funds from the United Nations.
    25 Bush threatens to veto Homeland Security bill unless workers in the new department are stripped of civil service protections.
    August 2002
    9 Bush administration issues new medical privacy regulations that don’t require patient consent to share records with insurance and pharmaceutical companies or restrict use of medical information for marketing purposes.
    26 In a speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Cheney says there is “no doubt” Saddam Hussein has weapons of mass destruction and that Iraq could have nuclear weapons “fairly soon.”
    September 2002
    5 Bush administration presents “Healthy Forests Initiative” that would allow more logging of old-growth forests by limiting environmental impact reviews and public comment.
    19 Bush asks Congress for authority to use “all means that he determines to be appropriate” against Iraq.
    October 2002
    5 North Korea admits to having secret nuclear weapons program; Bush officials don’t publicly disclose the news until Oct. 16.
    8 Bush invokes the Taft-Hartley Act to end an 11-day lockout of longshore workers that has shut down West Coast ports.
    November 2002
    5 Harvey Pitt resigns after failing to disclose that newly appointed accounting oversight board chairman William Webster had headed the audit committee of a firm accused of accounting improprieties and fraud.
    20 Pentagon defends development of the “Total Information Awareness” system, a scheme developed by Iran-contra veteran John Poindexter to mine private data for terrorism clues.
    27 Bush names Henry Kissinger to head independent commission investigating September 11 attacks.
    December 2002
    6 Bush dismisses treasury secretary Paul O’Neill and economic adviser Lawrence Lindsey as the unemployment rate hits 6 percent.
    17 Bush orders initial missile defense system to be in place by 2004.
    19 Office of Management and Budget instructs Environmental Protection Agency to value the lives of senior citizens at 63 percent that of younger Americans in a cost-benefit analysis of imposing new air pollution regulations.
    January 2003
    9 Transportation Security Administration bars 56,000 airport screeners from unionizing.
    10 Bush administration issues guidelines that could exempt up to twenty million acres of “isolated” wetlands and seasonal streams from protection under the Clean Water Act.
    15 Bush denounces affirmative action policies at the University of Michigan as an unconstitutional “quota system.”
    29 Bush claims in his State of the Union speech that Saddam Hussein “recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa.”
    30 Bush administration seeks exemptions to international treaty banning the ozone-depleting chemical methyl bromide for use on golf courses, among other things.
    February 2003
    5 Secretary of State Colin Powell appears before the UN Security Council to make the case for war with Iraq.
    March 2003
    7 U.N. official exposes as fakes documents showing Iraq attempted to buy uranium from Niger.
    8 U.S. Army Corps of Engineers awards no-bid contract with a $7 billion limit to a Halliburton subsidiary for fighting possible oil well fires in Iraq.
    19 War on Iraq begins.
    27 Department of Labor proposes new overtime rules that could strip millions of extra pay by increasing the number of exempt “white-collar” workers.
    April 2003
    7 Education Secretary Rod Paige says he prefers schools that have a “strong appreciation for the values of the Christian community.”
    12 Congress approves Bush’s request for $79 billion to fund the Iraq War and reconstruction.
    28 Bush administration refuses to sign international anti-tobacco treaty without a “reservation clause” allowing any country to opt out of portions it doesn’t like.
    May 2003
    1 Aboard an aircraft carrier—with a banner touting “Mission Accomplished” as his backdrop—Bush declares victory in Iraq.
    22 Bush issues an executive order shielding oil companies in Iraq from legal liability.
    27 One third of the prevention funds in the $15 billion AIDS bill signed by Bush are earmarked for abstinence education.
    28 Bush signs $350 billion tax cut-half the size of his original proposal-slashing tax rates on dividends and capital gains.
    29 On a trip to Poland, Bush says: “We found the weapons of mass destruction. We found biological laboratories … for those who say we haven’t found the banned manufacturing devices or banned weapons, they’re wrong, we found them.”
    June 2003
    2 FCC increases media ownership cap, allowing one company to own TV stations reaching up to 45 percent of the country, and lifts the ban on a single company’s owning newspapers, TV stations, and radio stations in the same city.
    2 Inspector general finds that the Justice Department violated the civil rights of hundreds of immigrants detained after 9/11.
    25 Federal Energy Regulatory Commission rejects California’s request to cancel $12 billion in long-term contracts signed during the state’s energy crisis despite evidence of market manipulation by energy companies.
    July 2003
    1 Bush administration suspends military aid to thirty-five countries that refused to grant U.S. citizens immunity before the International Criminal Court.
    14 Columnist Robert Novak outs the wife of retired ambassador Joseph Wilson as a CIA agent after discussions with “two senior administration officials.”
    15 SEC chairman William Donaldson endorses House bill seeking to limit the ability of state regulators to oversee the securities industry.
    24 Congress publishes report on September 11 attacks, but the White House omits major portions (reportedly about Saudi Arabia) for “national security” reasons.
    28 Congress exposes Pentagon plans to create a futures trading market to forecast terrorist attacks.
    August 2003
    9 EPA inspector general finds that the agency downplayed health risks from the collapse of the World Trade Center under pressure from the White House.
    20 Ashcroft begins nationwide tour to promote the Patriot Act.
    27 EPA repeals “New Source Review” rule that had required electric utilities to install anti-pollution equipment when making major upgrades at coal-fired power plants.
    September 2003
    1 Job losses over the past three years top 2.7 million.
    7 Bush asks Congress for another $87 billion to fund the occupation of Iraq.
    17 Bush admits there is no evidence tying Saddam Hussein to September 11 attacks.
    22 FCC approves the merger of Univision and Hispanic Broadcasting, handing over 80 percent of the Spanish-language radio and television market to one company.
    October 2003
    21 Congress bans late-term abortions.
    29 U.N. official warns of “a palpable risk that Afghanistan will again turn into a failed state, this time in the hands of drug cartels and narco-terrorists.”
    31 13,000 Arab and Muslim immigrants are in deportation proceedings as a result of special registration programs; none has been charged in connection to terrorism.
    November 2003
    21 Senate blocks energy bill, a massive boondoggle that traces its origins to Cheney’s secretive energy task force and would provide billions of dollars in subsidies to some of Bush’s biggest supporters in the oil and gas, coal, and electric utility industries.
    23 FBI admits collecting intelligence on antiwar protesters.
    24 Congressional Republicans and the White House agree to a “compromise” media ownership cap of 39 percent—ensuring that neither Viacom nor News Corp. will be forced to sell any television stations.
    25 Senate passes $400 billion, Bush-backed Medicare bill, which guarantees a prescription drug benefit starting in 2006 but prevents the government from negotiating lower prices with pharmaceutical companies.
    December 2003
    3 Medicare chief Tom Scully announces he’s stepping down to consider job offers from three lobbying and two investment firms.
    23 Bush administration opens 300,000 acres of old-growth timber in Alaska’s Tongass National Forest to logging.
    30 After first case of “mad cow” disease is detected in the United States, USDA bans sale of “downer” cattle—a measure quashed by the agency just weeks earlier.
    January 2004
    5 Cheney and Justice Antonin Scalia go duck hunting together three weeks after the Supreme Court agrees to hear a case about the vice president’s energy task force records.
    16 During a congressional recess, Bush appoints Charles Pickering—whose nomination has been blocked twice by the Senate—to the U.S. Court of Appeals.
    22 Interior Department opens nearly nine million acres of wilderness on Alaska’s North Slope to oil drilling.
    23 Chief U.S. weapons inspector David Kay resigns, saying he doesn’t believe Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction ever existed.
    29 Bush administration reports that the new Medicare law will cost at least $530 billion over 10 years, 30 percent more than Congress was told it would cost.
    February 2004
    6 Bush relents and appoints commission on pre-war intelligence, calls for it to report findings after the presidential election.
    9 President’s Council of Economic Advisers suggests positions at fast-food restaurants should be counted as manufacturing jobs.
    18 A group of 60 top U.S. scientists, including a dozen Nobel Prize winners, accuses the Bush administration of “misrepresenting and suppressing scientific knowledge for political purposes.”
    23 Rod Paige calls the National Education Association a “terrorist organization.”
    March 2004
    12 Medicare actuary says Bush administration threatened to fire him if he told Congress that the White House Medicare plan would cost more than $400 billion.
    24 At the Radio and Television Correspondents’ dinner Bush presents slides of himself looking under tables and out the windows of the Oval Office while commenting “Those weapons of mass destruction must be somewhere!” and “Nope, no weapons over there!”
    April 2004
    1 Bush signs the “Unborn Victims of Violence Act.”
    2 Bush and Cheney appear at a private retreat for the more than five hundred “Rangers” and “Pioneers” who have collected at least $100,000 for the president’s campaign.
    10 After two years of stonewalling, Bush releases declassified version of the Aug. 6, 2001, Presidential Daily Briefing warning “Bin Ladin Determined to Strike in U.S.”
    13 In just the third prime-time press conference of his term, Bush is stumped when asked to name one mistake he’s committed since September 11. He replies, “I’m sure something will pop into my head here in the midst of this press conference, with all the pressure of trying to come up with an answer, but it hasn’t yet.”
    28 CBS television airs first images of torture and abuse of Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison.
    28 Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz tells Congress the number of U.S soldiers who have died in Iraq is “approximately 500, of which—I can get the exact numbers—approximately 350 are combat deaths.” The actual figures: 722 soldiers killed, 521 of them in combat.
    29 Bush and Cheney appear together behind closed doors in the Oval Office to answer questions from commissioners on the September 11 attacks panel.
    30 Sinclair Broadcasting refuses to air “Nightline” broadcast reading the names of the U.S. dead in Iraq on its ABC affiliates.
    May 2004
    4 Army acknowledges it is investigating at least thirty-five cases of abuse or torture of prisoners in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    6 FDA blocks RU-486, the “morning after pill,” from being sold over the counter.
    19 General Accounting Office rules that taxpayer-funded “video news releases” touting the Medicare bill are illegal covert propaganda.
    20 Bush campaign fundraising haul hits the $200 million mark.
    June 2004
    3 CIA Director George Tenet resigns because of the “well-being of my wonderful family—nothing more, nothing less.”
    8 John Ashcroft refuses to give the Senate Judiciary Committee a Justice Department memo outlining a legal justification for the torture of suspected terrorists.
    16 U.S. commission investigating September 11 finds “no credible evidence” linking Saddam Hussein to the attacks; Dick Cheney continues to claim “overwhelming evidence” of a connection between Iraq and Al Qaeda.
    24 Supreme Court rules that Dick Cheney doesn’t have to give up records of secretive energy task force, sends case back to a lower court.
    28 In a secret ceremony—held two days ahead of schedule to thwart attacks—United States hands over formal sovereignty of Iraq to interim government; U.S. administrator L. Paul Bremer declares Iraq “a much better place” and immediately leaves the country.
    28 Supreme Court rules against the Bush administration, insisting that “enemy combatants”—whether U.S. citizen or foreigners—must be allowed to challenge their imprisonment before an American judge.
    July 2004
    8 Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge warns that Al Qaeda may strike on Election Day, seeks advice from Justice Department on necessary steps to postpone the election in case of a terrorist attack.
    15 Republican-controlled National Labor Relations Board reverses earlier decision and rules that graduate teaching assistants at private universities do not have the right to organize unions.
    20 Bush administration lawyers move to block lawsuits against pharmaceutical companies and medical device makers, arguing that consumers may not seek damages for injuries received from products approved by the FDA.
    22 Congress passes resolution declaring that genocide is taking place in the Darfur region of Sudan; Washington Post characterizes action taken by the Bush administration to stop the killing as “murderously modest.”
    28 After 24 years in Afghanistan, the humanitarian group Doctors Without Borders pulls out of the country; the group criticizes U.S. forces for endangering aid workers by using humanitarian assistance as “a support for its military and political ambitions.”
    30 Republican Party requires a signed endorsement of the president before giving out tickets to New Mexico campaign rally starring Dick Cheney.
    30 Bush issues 20 recess appointments, skirting Senate approval to install, among others, a new head of the Federal Trade Commission, a new manufacturing czar, and three new ambassadors—two of whom are major Bush fundraisers.
    August 2004
    1 Two days after the Democratic convention, Tom Ridge raises terror alert level to “orange” for New York and Washington; heightened security based on three- to four-year-old intelligence.
    5 At a ceremony to sign a $417 billion Defense appropriations bill, Bush tells the assembled Pentagon brass: “Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”
    11 With two months left in the fiscal year, federal deficit hits a record $395.8 billion.
    15 FBI acknowledges interviewing dozens of people in at least six states about protests planned for the Republican National Convention; officials insist they’re only targeting crimes, not political dissent.
    24 Bush-Cheney campaign’s top outside counsel admits advising the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.
    27 For third consecutive year, more Americans in poverty and without health insurance; national poverty rate hits 12.5 percent, 45 million people lack health coverage.
    September 2004
    7 Dick Cheney declares at a campaign stop in Iowa: “It’s absolutely essential that eight weeks from today, on Nov. 2, that we make the right choice, because if we make the wrong choice then the danger is that we’ll get hit again.”
    8 1,001 U.S. soldiers killed during Operation Iraqi Freedom.
    13 President Bush and House Republicans allow the federal ban on assault weapons to expire.
    13 Iranian official announces that the country could resume uranium enrichment “within a few months”; Britain’s Royal Institute of International Affairs concludes “the real long-term geopolitical winner of the ‘War on Terror’ could be Iran.”
    23 Donald Rumsfeld hints that Iraqi election may be limited to three-fourths of the country because of increasing violence. “If there were to be an area where the extremists focused during the election period, so be it,” he testifies before the Senate. “You have the rest of the election and you go on. Life’s not perfect.”
    23 Standing beside Prime Minister Allawi in the Rose Garden, Bush claims “nearly 100,000 fully trained and equipped Iraqi soldiers, police officers, and other security personnel are working today”; Pentagon documents show only 8,169 have completed full, eight-week training.
    25 Iraqi Health Ministry statistics show U.S. and allied forces and Iraqi police are killing twice the number of Iraqis—mostly civilians—as the insurgents; officials announce that Health Ministry will no longer provide casualty statistics to reporters.
    October 2004
    2 One-third of “individual ready reserve” soldiers called up by the Army to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan fail to report for duty.
    6 Chief U.S. weapons inspector Charles Duelfer reports that Iraq had no biological or chemical weapons and no nuclear program before the U.S. invasion; in fact, Duelfer finds no evidence that Iraq had produced any WMDs after 1991.
    11 International Atomic Energy Agency reports that equipment and low-level radioactive materials that could be used to build nuclear weapons have disappeared from Iraq during the U.S. occupation.
    21 Program on International Policy Attitudes shows that vast majorities of Bush supporters believe Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and gave Al Qaeda “substantial support” or was directly involved in September 11. Bush backers also think the majority of the world supported the U.S. invasion.
    22 Aboard Air Force One, with no public ceremony, Bush signs $136 billion corporate tax cut bill—which includes special pork-barrel earmarks for tobacco companies, oil refineries, SUV buyers, Home Depot ceiling fans and much, much more.
    24 Iraqi interim government announces that 380 tons of explosives vanished from the Al Qaqaa facility after the U.S. invasion, when the site was not secured despite warnings from U.N. weapons inspectors

And as far people labled racist, it because of the name calling, e.g. kool aid drinking, turban wearing, etc.,

Now on the subject of privacy. I agree people should be able to have a private life. But as things have evolved over the years, because the general public loves to read gossip and this keeps the tabloids, newspapers, book writers in business. Celebrities, politicians, musicians, etc. live in a glass bubble and are the subject of public opinion.

And once again I stand by my opinion; If Sarah Palin hadnt put herself in the limelight - no one would want to write about her or her family. And one other thing, think about this: When it's to her benefit - she uses the media and when it doesnt fall in step with her agenda - she gets offended and starts lashing out. One thing I must say she is good at - is making herself look like a victim.
  • DillyD55 Zoderi 2010/06/07 23:42:03
    DillyD55
    Thanks for your input of data that would take me weeks to check and see why he did what he did. Some of it didn't bother me at all, some I know nothing about, so can't say yea or nay, but obviously it bothered you. There is the point on Obama. What he does bothers us also. No President is going to please all the people, but, I have been around for a lot of years, and I have never seen the division that we have now. But, since he is our President too, he could try a little harder to be less partisanship. Yes, we most definitely had Bush haters (of which I was not one, nor do I hate Obama) I just plain do not like the direction he seems to be taking us, but it not just Obama, it is the Progressives in the Senate and the House. Republicans are faced at being the party of "NO" because they are not coming out with anything that the voters will get behind the Republicans agreeing with them on. You can see with the jeopardy that ones that do vote with them find themselves in when their election comes up.

Sorry for getting into Obama here, but just tried to prove a point in turning the tables about privacy issues for politicians. Obama has referred to Tea Party as teabaggers, and on taxes, we should be thanking him jokes or waving off us as just those that listen to that station he didn't need to name.

This on Bush and warnings about housing bubble:

• Zoderi DillyD55 2010/06/08 00:25:39
    Zoderi
    This really didnt answer any questions about politicians and privacy. Let me ask you a question I listened to that clip and how come in 2003 when the GOP had control of the house and senate and they had enough votes. they could have passed that bill then, A little strategic, dont you think, wait till the dems have control of the house and senate and then claim we cant pass the bill we dont have enough votes. So if the market blows, we can blame them.

And second Bush claims to have seen this coming in 2001. Well he psuhed and bullied his way to War. how come he didnt bully Fannie and Freddie Mac into stricker regulations
  • DillyD55 Zoderi 2010/06/08 00:32:11
    DillyD55
    Since I was not paying attention too much, like a lot of Americans, not sure why they didn't get it passed. Might be they had as hard of time as Obama in trying to push something through. Or, he wanted their vote on something more than the vote on regulations. Not sure. But, I agree, the politicians on both sides have made a mess and that is why no one is safe with Tea Party people.
  • Goldie Zoderi 2010/06/15 01:40:25
    Goldie
    I think if you were a person in the lime light and someone moved next door to take shots of your family and you, I think you would be a little pissed off. I don't care if you like her or not and it shows you don't because you are willing to have her go thru something your or eye would not like. When you are with your family, in your own home and back yard, you should have privacy no matter what or who you are. If you go out into the public and your speaking and talking to the folks, yes by all means you are open to being dealt with. You say she steers up trouble with her remark about this privacy evader looking into her daughters bed room doesn't make him to be a pedophile, it just makes him a creep, like he is. I'm glad she's getting people riled up, people should be. This should not be happening to anyone, this guy evading their privacy, how low can you go. I'm really surprised that you can actually justify this happening just because you don't like her. She is mother like everyone else that is trying to keep her family safe. Your own backyard should be a place you can relax and enjoy your family, not a time that you are afraid of some creepy guy watching everything you do.
  • Zoderi Goldie 2010/06/15 16:43:31
    Zoderi
    Goldie, let me address some of your remarks:

It's people that buy the tabloids and read the trash that is written that causes this invasion of privacy. I buy the Daily News everyday to read about current events and what do I see; Sara Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick coming out of their house with their twins going to the park; do I really care about this? No, I dont, but a major part of our Society want to read about the personal lives of celebrities, politicians and the wealthy. If there were no demand for this kind of gossip, public people could and would have a private life.

But when you put yourself out there, and Sarah Palin has put herself and her family in spot life. When she was campaigning did she not have herself, her husband and children on stage with her. And at times it was quite late into the evening and her younger chldren were on stage when they should have been tucked away in their beds getting a good night sleep.

And this remark of your: "You say she steers up trouble with her remark about this privacy evader looking into her daughters bed room doesn't make him to be a pedophile, it just makes him a creep, like he is.

Yes, she does stir up resentment when she IMPLIED that McGinnis MIGHT look into her daughter's bedroom. the key words here are IMP...

Yes, she does stir up resentment when she IMPLIED that McGinnis MIGHT look into her daughter's bedroom. the key words here are IMPLIED and MIGHT. He didnt look into her daughters bedroom, she implied that he is going to. Is this what our society has turned into, that on an implied accusation, it's true. And your second remark, "it just makes him a creep , like he is. Because Sara said he might do something, so now he's a creep.

McGinnis is doing an investigative biography. And he went to the place where his subject matter lives, so he can do his research. So I guess that makes him a "creep". I guess we should label every writer a creep that tries to get accurate information about the subject matter they are writing about.

Bet your bottom dollar, if he wrote the book and never went to Alaska, Palin would then be screaming about how many lies he wrote and how untrue everthing is, cause he's never lived in Alaska and doesnt have an idea about what goes on there.

This is not about whether I like Sara Palin or not. It's about the way Sarah Palin makes herself out to be a marytr. During and after the election, she ranted and raved against how the media portrayed her. Then what does she do, she take a position with Fox. She wants her privacy, but she writes a book. She wants privacy, but then does interviews. It's only good for Palin, when it furthers her own agenda.

She cannot have it both ways.
  • marcuss... Zoderi 2010/06/05 05:15:25
    marcuss LIBERALS ARE TRAITORS
    The Bible of the LIBERAL PROGRESSIVE EXTREMIST.
  • Zoderi marcuss... 2010/06/06 15:43:59 (edited)
    Zoderi
    I am not an extremist in any sence. I dont follow any party down the road like cattle. I think for myself and I stand by my opinon and that's what this site is about, your own personal opinion. And because my opinion isnt in step with yours, you think you can label me. Well how about this for a a label marcuss, keep in step with the other "cattle", your falling behind
  • marcuss... Zoderi 2010/06/06 16:11:42
    marcuss LIBERALS ARE TRAITORS
    I follow behind NO ONE. I use COMMON SENSE and evaluate the facts.
    When COMMON SENSE is used (unlike the LWNJs) Things can easily be figured out.
  • Zoderi marcuss... 2010/06/06 17:14:05
    Zoderi
    Obviously, I hit a nerve, because typing in caps, means your angry and screaming. And if you truly use common sense, when evaluating the above topic, you should be able to read between the lines on this one. The media is only Palin friend when she can use it to her benefit. When the media is not falling in step with her then whoever it is (it was Katy Courlic at one time), then their the enemy and their stalkers, pedophiles, etc.. Palin should get off her soap box and stop trying to paint herself as a martyr.
  • Brian 2010/06/03 16:05:23
    Brian
    As well as everyone in Wasilla.
    I listened to the guy on his Matt Lauer interview and how he turned Sarah's objection to being stalked into Nazism was, well typical.
  • wombat 2010/06/03 15:55:35
    I think the McGinnis situation is …
    wombat
    ....pretty bad. Who wants to live next to a Nazi.
  • Rich wombat 2010/06/03 16:01:56
    Rich
    +1
    Couldn't agree more no one likes Nazis moving into the neighborhood
  • wombat Rich 2010/06/03 16:05:41
    wombat
    Right she should just swallow her riffle and give it a try.
  • Rich wombat 2010/06/04 15:29:20
    Rich
    yea you missed my sarcasm
  • wombat Rich 2010/06/04 15:30:49
    wombat
    I dont think so.
  • Rich wombat 2010/06/04 19:33:06
    Rich
    The difference between you and I.. I don't wish death upon people I disagree with. That's whats wrong with the left
  • wombat Rich 2010/06/04 19:41:40
    wombat
    Well I dont wish death to anyone. Because of that I dont own a lethal weapon. Whats wrong with the right wing??? Do they need guns so bad???
  • Rich wombat 2010/06/04 21:06:25
    Rich
    "Well I dont wish death to anyone - "

"Right she should just swallow her riffle and give it a try."

That is what you said.. you said you want her to commit suicide. How is that not wishing death upon anyone?

"Because of that I dont own a lethal weapon. Whats wrong with the right wing??? Do they need guns so bad???"

So someone breaks into your home in the middle of the night and wants to do you and your family harm. Wouldn't you rather have a gun and not need it .. then need one and not have it?
  • wombat Rich 2010/06/05 03:38:46 (edited)
    wombat
    Yes if she dont want to hurt anyone else with her lethal toy she should secure the environment that way. I dont wish her to die I just wish her to learn about consequences being an annoying nutcase.

Your break into your home story is not a real thread go get some information from the FBI who that whole burglar thing at night really look like.

Most gun abuses happen between family members and friends.
    Most ppl who shoot each other, know each other.
  • Rich wombat 2010/06/05 19:11:20
    Rich
    You are too dumb to debate with.
  • wombat Rich 2010/06/05 23:48:40
    wombat
    LOL thats a RWNJ argument??? I thought you call the pack to harass me... like it usually goes on here.
  • Rich wombat 2010/06/06 13:56:57
    Rich
    Thanks for proving my point.
  • wombat Rich 2010/06/06 14:38:15
    wombat
    LOL!
  • govlastpeoplefirst 2010/06/03 15:36:15
    govlastpeoplefirst
    +1
    McGinnis has made his motive clear - to use any measure possible to destroy Ms. Palin in the liberal mind set this includes CHILDREN. Liberals have no understanding of property rights or right to privacy. Most don't own property and most put their lives on myspace/facebook with their butts (literally) hanging out for the world to see.
  • JustinSpengel 2010/06/03 15:27:08
    JustinSpengel
    +1
    The guy is so immature, ignorant, and downright rude as to call her a nazi. this is not a man i respect, and I don't doubt that someone so conceited about his personal views will also feel 'above the law'. Translation: I have no doubt that he will bend, if not break, the rules.
  • Knot_RIch 2010/06/03 15:08:54
    I think the McGinnis situation is …
    Knot_RIch
    Definitely too much is being made of it. Celebrities, Palin being one you know, very, very often surround themselves with barriers to protect themselves from annoying reporters and snoops. Some even hire armed guards, we don't see a media stink about that. It's a personal matter between Palin,her family and McGinnis. I mean c'mon, the guys writing a book, can anyone be so gullable as to believe it's simply coincidence he's there? If it wasn't :Sarah" would the media, anyone, give a crap about this situation?
    If I was the Palin family, I'd "vacation" for the summer somewhere else, it's not like we're talking about poor people here. Hey, crap, if they'd like to enjoy the simple life, really simple, I'll rent them my place, or swap with them for the summer. Then, with them gone, see if McGinnis stays for the summer, after all, he did say he'd have rented the place even if the Palin's didn't live there, it was such a good deal.
  • Evan A.K.A Shane Sawyer 2010/06/03 15:04:27
    Evan A.K.A Shane Sawyer
    +1
    I hope he learns a costly lesson somehow.

2014/07/31 15:52:56