Santorum’s Porn Obsession – Another Fetish, Or Smart Politics? (VIDEO)

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/03/18 18:39:15

Rick Santorum is a man obsessed. He’s obsessed with gay sex. He’s obsessed with keeping women off birth control and now he’s obsessed with porn. It doesn’t take Sigmund Freud to see a pattern here. The man obviously has sexual issues. But, is he a stupid politician?

Led by Santorum and his 12th century version of a religion, women are clearly the latest target in the Republican race to hate. It doesn’t seem to be paying off for them, either. More than 3/4ths of women feel that Republicans need to shut up about birth control. Ultimately, the conventional wisdom goes, it will send otherwise disengaged women to the polls for Democrats and Republican women will stay home. As a Democrat, I say, keep talking about birth control.

Santorum, though, has taken another turn on his bumpy dirt road with nothing but sharp rights. His latest rant is against porn. Indulge me here in saying that in a party that’s shedding women like a snake sheds its skin, this could be the smartest thing he’s done all along. From the Huffington Post:

“America is suffering a pandemic of harm from pornography. It contributes to misogyny and violence against women. It is a contributing factor to prostitution and sex trafficking,” the former Pennsylvania senator wrote in a statement posted on his campaign website.

My personal feeling about porn is “meh.” It’s a little like Disney Land. It can be fun in small doses, but absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing, is real. Fortunately, for Santorum, I am not his target female voter. His target woman is religious, married with kids and living somewhere in the south or in the heartland, where sexual deviance (a.k.a. non-missionary, non-procreative sex) is kept in underground bunkers, or at least behind the neighbors’ doors. His target woman finds sex icky or is embarrassed that she doesn’t find sex icky. Unfortunately, for Santorum and the Republicans, many of these same women are using birth control. For as icky as they find sex (or as icky as they want to find sex) they are still having it. They love their children, but no one is going to force them to have another one until they’re good and ready.

This is where Santorum’s latest obsession, porn, comes in. Women have a complicated relationship with porn. A highly educated friend once told me that she’d rather catch her man cheating than watching porn. To this day, that view baffles me, but I doubt she’s alone in that opinion.

To many women, porn is a form of cheating, but even beyond that, porn is a feminist issue. One side of the feminist fence holds the view that women are sexual beings and should be free to express themselves as such. The other side of the feminist fence holds just as valid an argument, that porn is like making sausage (pun intended). The end result might be shiny and delicious, but making it is an ugly and often criminal affair.

The worst elements of porn includes sex trafficking, sexual slavery and children. Of course, we already have laws in place protecting women and children from these practices, but enforcement can be challenging, especially when Republicans want to cut every single aspect of government. The Obama administration is taking a strong stance against these abuses.

Then there is the second level of porn, the level that is purely consensual, but like other sex workers, these women often feel that they are dehumanized by an industry that is run by men and largely for men.

Then, there is the Rick Santorum woman. For these women, porn is a deeply personal issue. They see their man’s desire to watch porn as a failure. They imagine the looks on their children’s faces as they watch debauchery. In life, they strive to be perfect, the perfect mother, the perfect wife and if they work, perfect at their job. Even if they try to take care of themselves, they don’t want to have to compete with perky double D breasts on stick-thin bodies. They don’t want to have to do those things with their husbands. It he’s watching it, the reasoning goes, he must want it.

So for many women, the women that Santorum has been losing with his crusade against birth control, he might finally be saying something that they get. Few politicians talk about porn. Maybe, just maybe, he’ll be able to bring some back into his tightly wound fold. In fact, that single issue might even be enough to turn my friend into a supporter. Will it be enough? It’s doubtful, especially in the general election, but it could make enough of an impact to keep him on a competitive level during the primaries, and for now, that’s all he’s looking for.

Here’s the video:http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/03/18/santorums-porn-obsess...

• melly~thwarting Satan since... 2012/03/18 19:56:09
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +14
    Woman's choice? Pshaw. Civil Rights for Gays? Hrumph. No sex outside of marriage? Whatever.

No Porn? I am pretty sure this is going to cost him the election.

But as long as he's still in it, Can we please start calling him "Sanscrotum?" Seems more fitting than his already blemished real name.

• ren 2012/03/26 15:22:27
    ren
    +1
    It seems Santorum has gone off the deep end again. Hate to tell you santorum but Porn will always be around. All it takes is a pencil paper and imagination and you can create porn. Also the porn industry is a multi billion dollar industry. Id love to see someone TRY and make all porn illegall. Not going to happen. EVER.
  • carolynb 2012/03/19 13:16:21
    carolynb
    +3
    Is this guy running for activist or president? Geez!!!
  • C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT 2012/03/19 12:51:46
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +2
    BS, porn doesn't degrade women, there's a reason prostitution is "the worlds oldest profession", we have been degrading women LONG before porn came along, blame religion, they hate women anyway
  • David (oYo) 2012/03/19 11:57:53
  • A Founding Father 2012/03/19 07:36:37
    A Founding Father
    +3
    Have to wonder what his preoccupation with sexual matters stems from. Was he abused as an "Alter Boy", does he have some fetishes we should know about, why does his family seem so withdrawn and fearful, why is his disdain for women so obvious? This is one strange fellow, very strange fellow.
  • Idiot r... A Found... 2012/03/19 14:15:15
    Idiot repubs
    +2
    Google Penn State Hazing rituals, it's not for the weak of mind. Poor Rick never stood a chance.
  • A Found... Idiot r... 2012/03/19 22:51:32 (edited)
    A Founding Father
    Raped by the entire fraternity? Really? No wonder he seems to always have a "sore a**" and speaks so knowledgably of homosexual activities. I never would have guessed.
  • Idiot r... A Found... 2012/03/19 22:53:16
    Idiot repubs
    +1
    I must have missed that link, it does explain alot though.
  • rocat 2012/03/19 07:09:53
    rocat
    so gay porn would be ok???
  • melly~t... rocat 2012/03/19 12:43:00
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +3
    I bet you hope so.
  • nothingbutthetruth 2012/03/19 05:46:55
    nothingbutthetruth
    +3
    I won't really go there on that one. Not if I don't have to(:
  • Bibliophilic 2012/03/19 05:32:24 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    +4
    Porn is not actually the problem, it's some of the porn actors who are actually victims (trafficked women and children) and the brutal acts depicted in some porn that are problematic. Also, unregulated prostitution and street prostitution are problems, not the women themselves. Santorum should STFU about issues he knows nothing about!

Santorum has a point about porn (mostly) desensitizing men to violence against women, but that's the ONLY thing he's right about. He should support going after sex traffickers directly and cut the BS if he really cares about innocent victims. Santorum is anti-sex occurring outside of his personal comfort zone and he should STFU about it. A strong anti-prostitution stance is often connected with misogyny. Don't pretend to be pro-woman, Santorum when you're anti-gay and anti-choice. Most of us (women) aren't fond of you!
  • Guru_T_Firefly 2012/03/19 03:12:06 (edited)
    Guru_T_Firefly
    +6
    Rick Santorum embodies everything that is wrong with American politics.

when fascism comes to america   santorum
  • Guido Guru_T_... 2012/03/19 11:42:30
    Guido
    +3
    Well said
  • A Found... Guru_T_... 2012/03/19 22:54:23
    A Founding Father
    +1
    Appropriate for all the brochures and mail outs of the Republican party in the forthcoming campaign.
  • Whizzy 2012/03/19 01:34:16
    Whizzy
    +3
    Doesn't mister Insanetorum know?
  • Richard 2012/03/19 00:54:30
    Richard
    +2
    Now he wants Puerto Ricans to all speak English if they ever want statehood...more on this on today's MisfitWisdom blog at http://misfit120.wordpress.com
  • mich52 2012/03/18 20:49:10
  • Pat 2012/03/18 20:43:57
    +5
    Anyone so seemingly obsessed with sexual issue must have issues of his own.
  • Rebel Yell 2012/03/18 20:03:51
    Rebel Yell
    +6
    Pope Rick got his butt kicked in the 2006 election because , among other things, he is judgmental, arrogant, and preachy. Here he is with the same old weary schtick about morality. He will get his butt kicked again.
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +14

+9
    I would bet that he has a stock of porn under his mattress.
  • SassySa... sjalan 2012/03/19 05:33:23
    SassySalsera
    +4
    It probably isn't good ol' heterosexual porn either.
  • sjalan SassySa... 2012/03/19 15:05:02
    +2
    LOL. I'm glad someone else had that thought too.
  • luvguins 2012/03/18 19:51:08
    luvguins
    +8
    Yes, but how many men will he lose going after their jack-off viewing of couples doing all the taboo sex that their partners won't do? Men's libido is stoked by vision primarily.
  • Joanie 2012/03/18 19:41:52 (edited)
    Joanie
    +6
    He's got to have a gay porn collection. I mean, it's one of those things that has to happen.
  • goinpostal 2012/03/18 19:38:46
    goinpostal
    +5
    Rick has a small mind and small issues in other places
  • antiteaparty 2012/03/18 19:30:04
    antiteaparty
    +10
    Without Porn the only way Red Necks would get off is their sheep... Help Save Sheep, Vote Obama... Funny Sheep
  • Not A Fool 2012/03/18 19:11:14
    Not A Fool
    +4
    I feel that Santorum is just another person who is threatened by people who are different than him. He wants to legislate morality as defined by him. Oh, right, and he's running for office, so he's using hot, emotional topics to drum up support. Fear and manipulation.
  • Steve 2012/03/18 19:01:19
    Steve
    Ron Paul!
  • CAROLYN NTARWNJBS 2012/03/18 18:53:07
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +9
    There are just some things that I really would not like to know about Santorum.
  • Idiot repubs 2012/03/18 18:52:01
  • BritPunk Idiot r... 2012/03/19 13:05:53
  • Simmering Frog - PHART 2012/03/18 18:43:31
    Simmering Frog - PHART
    Rick Santorum

The feminists should support Santorum on this one. After all, Gal Quiada has been claiming the porn industry has been degrading women for years!

But then again, a lot of them are sluts who make their living with porn. Maybe that's why they are against him.
  • melly~t... Simmeri... 2012/03/18 19:50:46
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +13
    You're such a misogynist pr*ck. But I suppose that's the only way you can feel good about yourself--by tearing women down. Just like the Taliban.
  • Latti I... melly~t... 2012/03/18 19:57:22
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +8
    He might be a spokesman for the Taliban. lol
  • melly~t... Latti I... 2012/03/18 19:58:05
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +10
    Seriously!
  • Simmeri... melly~t... 2012/03/19 03:17:29
    Simmering Frog - PHART
    So you support the degradation of women? And you're proud of this?
  • melly~t... Simmeri... 2012/03/19 03:46:36
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +4
    Where did I say I support the degradation of women? Where did I say I support the porn industry? I think it is literally impossible for you not to jump to conclusions and operate on stereotypes instead of sticking to what's written.

Furthermore, calling women sluts IS DEGRADING THEM, you insufferable hypocrite.
  • Simmeri... melly~t... 2012/03/19 07:02:47
    Simmering Frog - PHART
    +1
    Would you prefer they be called nuns?

2014/10/23 04:39:43