Santorum whines and gets Secret Service protection

Mopvyto 2012/03/03 12:20:22
By Amy Oliver

27th February 2012

They are neck and neck in the polls.

And now Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum is catching up with rival Mitt Romney in the security stakes too.

The 53-year-old is expected to get Secret Service protection from tomorrow, according to an administration official with knowledge of the plan.

Secret Service protection is granted to each major party's presidential nominee but can be provided earlier if the Homeland Security Department approves a campaign's request.

Federal law allows candidates to seek protection if they meet a series of standards, including public prominence as measured by polls and fundraising.

The campaign of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich requested Secret Service protection last week and is awaiting word on whether he will receive it, a person close to the campaign said yesterday.

Former Massachusetts Governor Romney is currently the only candidate to have Secret Service protection, which was granted on February 1.

Santorum has stormed ahead in the last month to nose just ahead of Romney in the polls.

Currently he leads 32.9 per cent to Romney's 29.0 per cent, according to data from RealClear Politics.

In back-to-back speeches over the weekend Santorum hit out at Barack Obama calling him 'a snob' for saying every American child should be able to go to college.

'Why does Obama want everybody to go to college? So his liberal college professors can be indoctrinating people like he has,' Santorum said, drawing a long ovation.

He also condemned the idea of a separation between the state and the church.

President John F Kennedy had made the idea a key part of his 1960 campaign with an impassioned speech. This weekend Santorum said that speech had made him 'feel sick'.

Santorum laid in to President Obama too, slamming his apology for the burning of Korans at a U.S base in Afghanistan.

He added that Afghanistan should apologise to the U.S. for the deaths of four U.S. soldiers during six days of violence sparked by the incident.

'There was nothing deliberately done wrong here,' Santorum told ABC's This Week.

'This was something that happened as a mistake. Killing Americans in uniform is not a mistake. It was something that deliberate.'

Both Santorum and Romney are gearing up for a close race in the Michigan and Arizona primaries tomorrow.

dailymail.co.uk

Read More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2107032/Sa...

• Tom Degan 2012/03/03 12:24:16
    Tom Degan
    +10
    I hate to have to go to bat for Rick Santorum (Really I do) but I must concede that he is entitled to - and should receive - Secret Service protection. Let's not forget what happened to Bobby Kennedy on June 5, 1968.

http://www.tomdegan.blogspot.com

Tom Degan

Tom Degan

• Defend ... SoCalEx... 2012/03/03 18:40:33
    Defend Western Civlization
    +2
    yes they do
  • twocrows 2012/03/03 18:20:56
    twocrows
    +2
    I'm for Santorum receiving protection. he has alienated so many groups, he could well become a target. the last thing I want is for Santorum to be elevated to the status of Martyr for the Cause. so, by all means, protect him.
  • Defend ... twocrows 2012/03/03 18:40:55
    Defend Western Civlization
    +1
    Santorum is for America and Americans not groups
  • twocrows Defend ... 2012/03/04 06:23:33
    twocrows
    errrrrmmmm -- this is not a homogenous country. never has been. so, of course there are diverse groups within it. that has always been one of our strengths.
  • chaoskitty123 2012/03/03 18:18:54
    chaoskitty123
    +3
    You do know that this topic puts you with the extreme political left who were crying out to Kill Bush and preach violence against the political right don't you Mopeder?

Santorum wasn't crying to anyone but asked for something he is entitled to by law and which Obama himself received... was he whining about needing Secret Service protection?

Even people who oppose Santorum and the Republicans are speaking against your point here because it is an extreme view to make and should anyone take a shot at Santorum, topics like this will turn voters against the candidates you support. Things like this have happened before and there is usually a backlash effect against the extremist element which does things like this.

I myself do not support Santorum and I definately do not support Obama... but would I falsely state Obama was whining for Secret Service protection and try painting him as scared for doing it? No, in fact I would promote that Obama should have Secret Service protection whether he wants it or not because the past proves that candidates are as much a target as any elected leader.

When George Wallace was shot and paralyzed, a lot of his opposition actually spoke on his behalf that no man deserves to be shot regardless of his beliefs and they prayed for his full recover...

When George Wallace was shot and paralyzed, a lot of his opposition actually spoke on his behalf that no man deserves to be shot regardless of his beliefs and they prayed for his full recovery. In fact, the attack allowed Wallace to claim a change of heart and actually win the support of his former opposition including numerous black voters.

Should Santorum be attacked, this topic and all the comments actually speaking that they hope something will happen to him make you and these people look no better than the people on the extreme right you always attack.

If this is your true nature, then I will say to you what I say to others... this makes you pure scum.

The tone of the topic header and the responses by some who took your implied meaning to run with it are truly reprehensible. Maybe he has asked for Secret Service support... maybe he shouldn't have to ask as it should be given and no one should ridicule or attack him for having Secret Service protection.

I for one would never attack Obama for wanting Secret Service protection or listen to what they want so that he is protected as a political candidate... because when they refuse to listen to what they need, bad things do happen.

One only needs to hear the name Kennedy to understand immediately that this topic is unfair and seems purposely designed to ridicule a man who is asking for protection because bad things do happen where even the best protection cannot help you. Kennedy was warned not to use a convertible and refused to listen. For all the conspiracy theories and nutcases, it inevitably was Kennedy himself who caused his assassination because he knew he was a target and refused to listen when Secret Service tried to get him to use a standard vehicle offering him the utmost in protection.

I do believe you should rethink topics like this in the future Mopeder as regardless if some rightwingers may have gotten under your skin, this topic puts you with the extreme left and should someone take a shot at Santorum, it will turn you into a pariah even most on the left will want nothing to do with you.

What is so wrong with a political candidate requesting Secret service protection when your own candidate asked for, and was afforded, the same protection?
  • pamela chaoski... 2012/03/03 22:06:05
    pamela
    So very well said Chaos, i was so totally absorbed in your comment. Not one thing is wrong with any candidate, be the person a republican or a democrat, having Secret Service protection. Once they become a candidate, they all become a target, because all ideas and beliefs no matter what they are will be used to scrutinize that candidate as a person.

I will not say anything to Mopeder, because you have already done so, and very well I might add.
  • CuresCancer 2012/03/03 17:53:56
    CuresCancer
    Let's make a deal. Obama drops his Secret Service protection and Santorum drops his.
  • twocrows CuresCa... 2012/03/03 18:16:46
    twocrows
    you probably meant for it to be so, but your proposal is absurd on its face. the president would no more be allowed to drop his secret service detail that you would be allowed to avoid paying your taxes. he has no choice in the matter. that is true for all modern presidents.

Santorum, otoh, is asking for Secret Service protection before it is ordinarily provided. so is Romney. it officially becomes available [as in mandatory] when the person wins the candidacy. after that, he is no longer in control over whether he gets protection or how much. the Secret Service informs him of how it will be handled and that is that.

I'm sure you know all this but your statement begs that question so . . . maybe not.
  • CuresCa... twocrows 2012/03/03 22:47:27 (edited)
    CuresCancer
    From your photo, you are old enough to recall this name: Sirhan Sirhan.

Who did he shoot? Had that person been declared the candidate yet?

IOW, why are you caught up in the weeds? Do you not think it's important to protect a candidate like Santorum from the obvious high risk situation he is in??

If you didn't grasp the sarcasm in my first comment that you replied to, I really can't help you.
  • twocrows CuresCa... 2012/03/04 06:30:54
    twocrows
    Sirhan Sirhan has nothing to do with whether or not a sitting president would be allowed to drop his Secret Service detail. that's what you posted about and that's what I responded to.
  • CuresCa... twocrows 2012/03/05 18:05:32
    CuresCancer
    Some people are unable to understand connotative meaning. You are apparently one of them.
  • Stix 2012/03/03 17:39:18
  • Defend ... Stix 2012/03/03 18:42:06
    Defend Western Civlization
    very well said
  • Mopvyto Stix 2012/03/04 08:24:11
    Mopvyto
    If you vote for any of the GOP you're voting for dog sh*t.
  • Stix Mopvyto 2012/03/04 18:25:55
    Stix
    that would be a smarter vote then for Obama...
  • Michael 2012/03/03 17:24:00
    Michael
    +1
    Who would want to kill him? (Outside of half the women in America.) His value as both an entertainer (and the hope of progressives everywhere that he get the nomination so the Repugnican Party can go down in flames) are enough to discourage any would-be assassin. Except maybe Romney's camp.
  • Defend ... Michael 2012/03/03 18:43:21
    Defend Western Civlization
    +1
    the republican party Hate Santorum cause he is not bowing to obama like republicans are doing along with the democrat romney
  • Spyderman739 2012/03/03 17:16:39
    Spyderman739
    +3
    Mopeder, stop inviting me to join the re-elect Barrack Obama group. I think he's the worst president of the 42 we've had and will not vote or support his re-election. I'd vote for Senator Santorum over him even though I really don't agree with all of his policies either. I will vote for anyone who is NOT a Democrat.
  • Captain-Morgan 2012/03/03 16:35:32
    Captain-Morgan
    +1
    WHAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH THAT? OBAMA AND HIS FIRST LADY SPEND TEN'S MILLIONS ON GOLFING VACATIONS AND TRIPS TO EUROPE... AND FLY THEIR DOG ON A MILITARY TRANSPORTS TO THEIR VACATION SPOTS.. IT'S TO GOOD TO RIDE ALONG WITH OUR MASTER POTUS ON AIR FORCE ONE?... AND ALL YOU BLOCK HEADS ARE MAKING A BIG DEAL OVER A FEW S.S. AGENTS? GET LIFE....
  • mich52 2012/03/03 16:29:53
  • michael 2012/03/03 16:19:26
    michael
    so what.............ALL canidates for president of both the Republicans and Democratics since the murder of Bobby Kennedy in 1968 get secret service protection--this is another maded up pro democratic story
  • BlueRepublican 2012/03/03 16:16:20
    BlueRepublican
    +3
    It's useless Rick. Even the Secret Service can't protect you from putting your foot in your mouth!!
  • gldynmd BTO-t-BCRA-F 2012/03/03 16:14:07
    gldynmd BTO-t-BCRA-F
    In this world of haters on anyone who believes in and stand for anything Christian. I'd say asking for protection is just a smart idea.
  • Rebel Yell 2012/03/03 16:10:57
    Rebel Yell
    +2
    Santorum needs more than SS protection. He should be in a straight jacket, and this tax payer would gladly chip in.
  • Defend ... Rebel Yell 2012/03/03 18:44:41
    Defend Western Civlization
    so what your saying is that anybody who does not worship obama is crazy how liberal progressive of you
  • Rebel Yell Defend ... 2012/03/03 19:01:40
    Rebel Yell
    +2
    No, I didn't say that at all. You have quite a delusional imagination working there. Ever think about therapy?
  • Defend ... Rebel Yell 2012/03/03 19:11:23
    Defend Western Civlization
    then why specifically are you calling a Political rival of obama to be placed in a straight jacket?
  • Rebel Yell Defend ... 2012/03/03 19:14:32
    Rebel Yell
    +1
    For starters, he took his dead baby home and slept with it for a couple of days. Now, that may be normal behavior in your necks of the woods, but it is hardly the norm.
  • Swampdo... Rebel Yell 2012/03/03 19:40:47
    Swampdog PWCM
    He took his dead baby home? At least he didn't abort the child, how many abortion babies get even a single tear. I'm thankful the kooky left abort their future constituency! Dopey!
  • Defend ... Swampdo... 2012/03/03 19:58:44
    Defend Western Civlization
    me too
  • Dana Swampdo... 2012/03/03 20:04:11
    Dana
    +3
    Let's see here.... what the story was, was that his wife ended up with a serious medical condition that needed to be treated or it would threaten her life as well. So, Santorum and his wife were able to make a CHOICE (something they think all other women should be denied) and their choice was to get the treatment, knowing it would probably kill the unborn baby. I believe the baby was 21-22 weeks along.

In Santorum's current views... as are most of you who prefer to take away a woman's choices.,... this would be murder of an unborn baby, would it not?

Again.... he and his wife made a "choice", and it killed the baby. Key word... "choice".
  • Swampdo... Dana 2012/04/01 20:48:51
    Swampdog PWCM
    You got me WRONG, I'm conservative and I want women to have a choice. Keep in mind those choosing are liberals. I love it when they kill off their future constituency.
  • Dana Swampdo... 2012/04/01 23:19:50
    Dana
    You want women to have a CHOICE? This is what you wrote.

And you claim to be a conservative?

Conservatives means that the men make the choices for the women and the women have no choice anymore.

Liberal means I make my choices, you make yours, I mind my business, you mind yours.

Are you getting this?
  • Swampdo... Dana 2012/04/01 23:43:41
    Swampdog PWCM
    Liberal means you force me to buy health insurance I don't want, you force me to buy mercury laden light bulbs I don't want, you force me to pay higher taxes,I don't need, you force me to continue to pay higher taxes for failed programs that do NOT work! I'm tired of your forcing me to do anything. I'm libertarian, personal freedom is first with me, and we are conservative yes but damn it liberals sicken me with their goofy ideas! Are you getting this????????????????
  • Dana Swampdo... 2012/04/02 00:40:06 (edited)
    Dana
    One thing... it was the GOP that demanded the mandate for all to buy health insurance... to appease the insurance companies. But it makes sense too.... in that ALL of us need medical care, and anyone can get in an accident or become ill at any time... no one is immune from this fact. If people do not buy insurance until they are ill or injured... how would that work or be fair?

How about this? Is it fair that if you drive a car, you are required to have it insured? So that if you plow into me and total my car, that my insurance should not have to cover you, for being irresponsible?

Think about it.

Taxes.... are lower than they have been in years... quit crying about that, you know it and I do too.

Light bulbs, buy whatever the hell kind you want to. I buy what I want to, I have a choice.... I am sure you do too. If not, it is your stores fault, because even Wally mart has a whole isle of light bulbs and you can buy any kind you want to.

Are you stupid? Or just paranoid.
  • Swampdo... Dana 2012/04/02 00:52:52
    Swampdog PWCM
    The cost of insurance will drop dramatically if insurance companies are allowed to cross state lines to sell in other states. You will only be able to buy the incandescent bulbs for a few more years, then they will only have mercury bulbs, yep Obama, Taxes, raise them on the RICH, guess what, if you have a job you're RICH! Haven't you been paying attention to what Obamas been doing? It's your liberty's you're losing.
  • Dana Swampdo... 2012/04/02 01:09:09
    Dana
    Ok, I see your paranoid.

Listen to a lot of Limbaugh, Beck and Fixed news?

May as well get your information to fill your paranoid brain from the National Enquirer. Actually that would be more legitimate.

Reducing taxes on the wealthiest Americans... millionaires... has cost us trillions of dollars.

Should I repeat that back to you again and again?

TRILLIONS!!!!!!

How about this? Run a restaurant and tell all the wealthy people they can eat for free, because your sure that they will some how increase your business. Are you losing $$? Or making money by letting all the wealthy eat free?

Then to sweeten the pot, tell all the non wealthy people, that they will have to pay 2x as much to eat at your restaurant, so you can let the rich eat for free.

Do you really think your going to increase your business that way?

IN case you can not figure it out.... here is the news flash... the regular people can not only afford your higher prices imposed on them, but they will be damned if they will continue to support your restaurant for much longer. So now everyone loses. You lose, because no one who pays will come to your restaurant. The rich will continue to come, and bring all their friends, because they eat for free. But... the MAJORITY of your business, the bread and butter of it all... has told you to go stuff yourself, because they are just not that stupid. Nor can they afford to be. (That is the 99%'s)
  • Swampdo... Dana 2012/04/02 01:30:40
    Swampdog PWCM
    Your parameters are unrealistic, start a business and eat for free? People start businesses for one reason....to MAKE MONEY! I was divorced at 44, paid off my house at 50, retired at 54. I have always worked at least two jobs. Lived below my means and invested wisely. America is the land of opportunity, as you can tell, I'm either paranoid or stupid, maybe stupinoid is a better word, regardless if I can do this ANYBODY can do this. I have no special powers, other than my belief in GOD and faith that all will be well. You are not a business person, or an investment person. There are three ways to make money under any circumstance, mankind makes money by selling their labor, machines make money by selling it's labor, and MONEY makes MONEY. You cannot tax a country into prosperity. you cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. If you think I talk too much about money, you should here the less fortunate talk about it, to them it solves ALL problems. As far as the wealthy are concerned, they are paying for themselves, the poor, your overhead, and insurance for your restaurant. Ben Franklin said it best,"If you make poverty appealing you'll get more of it." Good luck to you.
  • Dana Swampdo... 2012/04/02 01:37:32
    Dana
    My post went RIGHT over your head.

It was not literal.... it was figurative.

And the proof is in the pudding, the tax cuts on the wealthiest Americans, did not produce jobs, did not grow the economy, did not help anyone but the rich...(those folks who eat for free at the restaurant). It hurt the economy, because the revenue this country received was trillions of dollars LESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Swampdo... Dana 2012/04/02 02:52:58
    Swampdog PWCM
    $787,000,000.00 to the unions, G.M. and Chrysler. I understand you. Obama didn't offer tax cuts just the opposite. The wealthy are very good at hanging on to their money and they know the enemies of their wealth, if the poor knew what the wealthy knew, the poor would be wealthy. And please don't flatter your self, you poor thing, most likely you will be working until you are forced to quit. I hope not, I'll pray for you.

2014/09/21 02:09:07