Santorum: "Obamacare" Is A Secret Plan To Encourage Abortion

ProudProgressive 2012/02/19 15:44:52
I don't post much on Rick Santorum, mainly because he's generally so far removed from reality that it isn't worth the time and effort to simply point out the obvious. But sometimes he says something so despicable that it really must be addressed. Yesterday Santorum went well off the deep end in claiming that the only reason the Health Care Reform Law covers prenatal testing (which of course has already been covered for years by most health insurance plans) is because the President wants to encourage abortion, and even hints at "genocide" against the disabled. This guy has been a joke since he entered the race, but sometimes it's just not funny.

Article excerpt follows:

February 18, 2012 4:11 PM
Santorum attacks Obama on prenatal screening
By Rebecca Kaplan

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Campaigning in Ohio on Saturday, Rick Santorum displayed his culture-warrior side in full force, as he harshly attacked President Obama by suggesting the president wanted to see more disabled babies aborted and accusing him of projecting his values - which Santorum claimed were not rooted in the Bible - on the Catholic Church.

Santorum recalled his prominent role in the 1990s debates over the controversial procedure that critics call partial-birth abortion. He lambasted the president's health care law requiring insurance policies to include free prenatal testing, "because free prenatal testing ends up in more abortions and therefore less care that has to be done because we cull the ranks of the disabled in our society."

"That, too, is part of Obamacare, another hidden message as to what President Obama thinks of those who are less able than the elites who want to govern our country," Santorum said.

Prenatal tests are a standard part of modern medical care. The Department of Health and Human Services says such tests "help keep you and your baby healthy during pregnancy. It also involves education and counseling about how to handle different aspects of your pregnancy."

Read More: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57380887-50...

• Fannie 2012/02/19 16:28:51 (edited)
    Fannie
    +15
    This man is whacked like no other candidate in history, he's like the racist Duke of KKK running for office.

Here is a man who has accomplished nothing, but filling his pockets up, and running to the bank. His wife aborted a disabled child so she could live, yet he wants to blame Obama for that. The ideal that he now wants to ban prenatal screening gives this entire country insommia.

I think he needs back down and go home, and take care of his children, and leave the governing to others. There is no way in hell he will be voted in. Women in this country aren't stupid. We are not going to allow him in our bedroom, or in our doctor's office, it's none of his business.

• ehrhornp 2012/02/20 20:54:29
    ehrhornp
    +1
    Santorum would be laughable if it wasn't for the fact that he represents a lot of nut cases in the country. Heaven helps this country if he should ever be able to steal an election. I know he cannot win a fair and honest election. Fortunately the country is not that stupid.
  • ruru 2012/02/20 05:07:45
    ruru
    +1
    Do you have any idea of how many of us never had prenatal testing. I wouldn't have had it done if it was available when I was pregnant. It is just wrong. Thank you Rick Santorum for standing up for the unborn. Rick Santorum for President!!!
  • ehrhornp ruru 2012/02/20 20:56:26
    ehrhornp
    How many have not had prenatal testing and why wouldn't you have it? Aren't you concerned at all with the health of your fetus?
  • Sunny 2012/02/20 04:27:57
    Sunny
    +2
    This issue certainly does show yet one more issue that has been so twisted, attempting to fire up more upheaval and division rather than focusing on positive growth and healing for all Americans.
    I am not too concerned about him as he most likely will not go farther than he has now... but then there's Mitt Romney who is an equal waste in other aspects.
    Neither comes close to who Obama is and what he can offer.
  • The Electrician 2012/02/19 23:15:16
    The Electrician
    +2
    That's the best the GOP has to offer ? 16th Century mentality.
  • Lady Wh... The Ele... 2012/02/20 21:14:06
    +1
    ya think? **sheesh**
    +2
    Santorun is an ASS.
  • ehrhornp Lady Wh... 2012/02/20 20:57:49
    ehrhornp
    +1
    You should not insult asses. lol
  • Lady Wh... ehrhornp 2012/02/20 21:13:00
    +1
    LOLZ true! They have more sense.
  • The Ele... Lady Wh... 2012/02/21 02:37:59
    The Electrician
    +1
    Don't insult Donkeys that way.
  • Romanknite 2012/02/19 21:52:23
    Romanknite
    +2
    Santorum is to extreme to ever become President. He don't believe in women's contraception, he thinks everybody is suppose to think religion the way he does, nah! he'll never be President.
  • ruru Romanknite 2012/02/20 05:10:16
    ruru
    +1
    I would vote for him.
  • Romanknite ruru 2012/02/20 09:38:05
    Romanknite
    +1
    That's OK, that's your right.
  • ehrhornp ruru 2012/02/20 20:58:43
    ehrhornp
    Like a father figure do we? Afraid to make your own decisions?
  • 2012 Obama 2012/02/19 21:33:05
    2012 Obama
    +6
    Santorum has lost all credibility with educated people!

The fact is Obama has tried very hard to make health care and specifically contraception affordable for women and that will REDUCE abortions and premature prenatal deaths and deaths of women during delivery and provide for healthier babies and mothers.

I do not see how any intelligent person could see this any other way but I am sure the uneducated Santorum followers will do their best to twist this all around!
  • Lady Wh... 2012 Obama 2012/02/19 23:15:11
    +1
    "Santorum has lost all credibility with educated people!"

YA THINK?
  • 2012 Obama Lady Wh... 2012/02/19 23:17:51
    2012 Obama
    +2
    Look at who is financing his campain and who attends his rallies and you get a good picture of the low IQ that is supporting him!
  • Ozzyboy 2012/02/19 21:20:26
    Ozzyboy
    +2
    If you would bother to read the 0care bill, you would see that it is absolutely correct that
    abortions are encouraged as a method of population control, even down to the government controlling the time between pregnancies.
  • 2012 Obama Ozzyboy 2012/02/19 21:35:52
    2012 Obama
    +3
    Show me where it says that in the National Health care bill please ?

I have read it and it says no such thing and the contraceptive clause will reduce abortions and unwanted pregnancies and help women to stay healthier.
  • Sunny Ozzyboy 2012/02/20 04:33:35
    Sunny
    +2
    abortion is a very personal choice for a WOMAN... that is all!
  • Ozzyboy Sunny 2012/02/20 13:21:16
    Ozzyboy
    One segment in the health care bill, I'm still looking for it, it was so long ago that I read it, did say that time between pregnancies will be controlled. I agree that abortion is a choice for women but some women abuse that choice. Men, as fathers should have some say in it and let's not forget the little person who never even gets a voice but is dispatched with out any consideration. I wish all of this was taken more seriously.
  • Sunny Ozzyboy 2012/02/20 19:32:25
    Sunny
    I think any woman faced with the decision of a pregnacy takes it VERY seriously... Yes, I'm sure there are exceptions to the "rule" as there always is... but the CHOICE has to be available.
  • Ozzyboy Sunny 2012/02/20 19:42:13
    Ozzyboy
    Unfortunately too many times, there is no serious choice for pregnancy. One politician's mother said it best, "the choice to have a baby is made when you have unprotected sex." Perfect. There are exceptions but when there are more abortions in DC than live births it is not responsible behavior. That was over twenty years ago.
  • Sunny Ozzyboy 2012/02/20 20:17:51
    Sunny
    +1
    answer: education! eliminating irrorance! having places like Planned Parenthhod that informs and teaches!
  • Ozzyboy Sunny 2012/02/20 20:23:27
    Ozzyboy
    They also protect child rapists and provide abortions for underage girls. Education? How's your indoctrination going? It seems that you have that lockstep down pretty good. I can't believe that you believe what you post.
  • Sunny Ozzyboy 2012/02/20 22:29:05
    Sunny
    +1
    Have you yourself every been to a Planned Parenthood Clinic? to inquire how and what they do? (My guess is that you have not.)
    Yet... I have. My first experience, as an adult (18 & a virgin), was a yearly check up and my 1st internal exam. (Being a man, I realize you can't know that experience.) I was first introduced to a counselor who brought me in to a private office where she began my file. She answered questions I never would have asked my parents and gave me correct information about diseases and procedures that friends and peers didn't have. She didn't try to "talk me into" anything. Even today, I feel it was one of the best experiences of my life as a woman.
    PP reviewed my health yearly, supplying various birth control methods over the years, until I was married and planning to get pregnant for the 1st time at age 30. One month after I had an IUD removed, I was pregnant and seeing the "baby doctors".
    During all those years, I saw fantastic doctors who treated me as if I was the only patient they had.... Once, I accompanied a friend from Boston to NYC for an abortion when they were still illegal in MA. The office did all the prerequisites of counseling, exams and tests... and then the followup check up with emotional counseling included. Every experience was perfectio...
    During all those years, I saw fantastic doctors who treated me as if I was the only patient they had.... Once, I accompanied a friend from Boston to NYC for an abortion when they were still illegal in MA. The office did all the prerequisites of counseling, exams and tests... and then the followup check up with emotional counseling included. Every experience was perfection. I paid for every visit, with no insurance, but no fees were excessive.
    In summary... Don't believe everything you hear.... and acknowledge that in any situation there will be flaws.
  • Ozzyboy Sunny 2012/02/20 23:17:58
    Ozzyboy
    I'm sorry your relationship with your mother was so poor you couldn't talk to her. I'm also glad PP worked for you way back when. In some areas, it has turned into a dangerous, demanding, self serving bunch of thugs - not all but way too many. Yes, I have been in PP to help someone else get an abortion. There was no counseling, discussion, just ok. It is well documented that pp turns a blind eye to underage girls who come in for abortions. They are supposed to turn in perpetrators
    of those young girls but instead they perform the abortions and then let those girls go back to lives of hell. Hand out the birth control pills but get out of the abortion business with taxpayer money.
  • susan Ozzyboy 2012/02/20 23:26:22
    susan
    +5
    You obviously went with your preconceived opinion and snarkly jumped on woman's inability to talk to her Mom. There are great stories everywhere where PP gives excellent care to all sorts of women. If you cannot afford or get private insurance, it's a godsend contraception, cancer screening and yes abortions. Abortion is still legal. It's a woman's decision until you guys get Roe V Wade overturned. You haven't done that yet but really, really like cutting off affordable familty planning from women. Concentrate on electing your Pres and appointing activist judges who will support you. Meanwhile, leave woment alone.
  • Sunny susan 2012/02/20 23:50:34
    Sunny
    +1
    Thanks for the support... I've been out here in the war zones for a hile all alone even though I knew there were many like you "out there".
  • Ozzyboy susan 2012/02/21 00:31:31
    Ozzyboy
    See my post below.
  • Sunny Ozzyboy 2012/02/20 23:48:21
    Sunny
    +1
    Many organizations need revising and improvements. That doesn't mean that they should be eliminated. With the economy and cut backs, perhaps the couseling areas have suffered. ??
    As far as underage girls go... I have a very dear friend who practiced law and is brilliant... She represented many under age girls who chose not to tell their parents...in many cases where it would have been very dangerous had they told their parents. Each individual case has to be treated as such.
    I was very close to my mom with many things...but she was from a different age group with different values and ideas. She was the most prejudice person I have ever known... and I'm not at all. That's what makes the world go 'round.
  • Ozzyboy Sunny 2012/02/21 00:31:11
    Ozzyboy
    Woohoo, the hippie free love culture. That is why things are such a mess today. Reread my post, I said birth control from PP is good, abortions are not. Your friend claims cancer screening -NO! They just send you somewhere else and collect the dollars. The middleman of cancer screenings.I would not go against Roe V Wade, like I said, I just think it is used as birth control. You did not address the fact that over twenty years ago there were more abortions in DC than live births. How is that responsible behavior and not using abortions as birth control?
  • The Ele... Ozzyboy 2012/02/21 02:49:47
    The Electrician
    How old are you ? Go "troll" somewhere else.
  • Ozzyboy The Ele... 2012/02/21 03:02:55
    Ozzyboy
    Who are you to order mandates to anyone? Another messiah? Perhaps you need a joint to calm down, isn't that what you hippie
    free love people do?
  • The Ele... Ozzyboy 2012/02/21 03:21:10
    The Electrician
    Who are you to make these trashy statements ?

Freedom of speech, does not include Lying for attention.
  • Ozzyboy The Ele... 2012/02/21 03:32:34
    Ozzyboy
    PP handing out birth control is a trashy statement? You are one confused liberal.
  • The Ele... Ozzyboy 2012/02/21 03:39:32
    The Electrician
    You're the one that's confused.
    Why bring my political preference in to the conversation ?
    What give you the idea, that you're superior to others ?
  • Sunny Ozzyboy 2012/02/21 03:42:13
    Sunny
    my "friend"????
    stats from 20 years ago?
    If you don't like abortions, don't have one.
  • Ozzyboy Sunny 2012/02/21 14:11:38
    Ozzyboy
    You are right, I can't find the exact statement, however, in doing the research, the height of abortions was 1983 in DC. The chart wouldn't copy over verifying that the DC rate was at least 5x as high as the national rate. My point was that abortions are used carelessly as birth control. I''m not talking about the young girl who accidently gets pregnant but the multiple abortions gotten out of convenience. I've been to PP and the reasons, "It will get in the way of superbowl" and "we will be moving then and that's too much trouble" so tell me how abortions are as good as intelligent birth control. Abortions for the few innocents are a personal decision but for too many it is the destruction of an innocent baby
    for convenience. That is a poster for extreme selfishness.
  • Sunny Ozzyboy 2012/02/22 18:12:37
    Sunny
    That is where councilors, education and awareness come in. The bottom line is that it has to stay an option and a Choice.

2014/04/24 19:26:28