Santorum: I Would Advocate That Any Doctor That Performs an Abortion be Criminally Charged.

Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/01/05 04:29:42

I think it goes without saying that life for women in a Santorum
presidency would be horrible. Talk about taking civilization back to
the Middle Ages.

Santorum's inflexibility on abortion is well-known. When you believe
that a multi-cell zygote should be a Constitutionally-protected person,
then there is no circumstance--not rape, not incest, not the life of
the mother--that would prohibit that little future person from being
born.

However, Santorum's own personal circumstances show that life doesn't work in nice, neat little ways and that sometimes, tough choices have to be made.

After examining Karen [Santorum, in her 19th week of
pregnancy], who was nearly incoherent with a 105-degree fever, a doctor
at Magee led Santorum into the hallway outside her room and said that
she had an intrauterine infection and some type of medical intervention
was necessary. Unless the source of the infection, the fetus, was
removed from Karen’s body, she would likely die.

At minimum, the doctor said, Karen had to be given antibiotics intravenously or she might go into septic shock and die.

The Santorums were at a crossroads.

Once they agreed to use antibiotics, they believed they were
committing to delivery of the fetus, which they knew would most likely
not survive outside the womb.

“The doctors said they were talking about a matter of hours or a day
or two before risking sepsis and both of them might die,” Santorum
said. “Obviously, if it was a choice of whether both Karen and the
child are going to die or just the child is going to die, I mean it’s a
pretty easy call.”

Now there's nothing at all pleasant about having to make that painful
choice, nor do I want to sound like I'm gloating over the hypocrisy. I
had an ectopic pregnancy and had to make the same choice: either both
of us would die or I would have to terminate the pregnancy.

But the important point here is that the Santorums had that choice,
and made the one that made sense to them, just as I had. Their doctors
treated the actual viable human being in the equation without concern
of being prosecuted for doing their job.

I look at my children now and I recognize that life is precious and
each child is a little miracle unto themselves. Thankfully, my children
were born into circumstances where they were not only wanted, but were
given great advantages of being the children of educated, committed
parents with sufficient income and facilities to care for them. And
even with those advantages, even being born without disabilities or
developmental delays, into a loving partnership, raising a child is
exhausting, nerve-wracking and difficult work. How dare Rick Santorum
tell someone who does not feel that they can handle that kind of
lifelong commitment that they have no choice? How dare he say that
doctors cannot operate in the best interest of their actual flesh and
blood patient?

Yes, to Santorum, life is precious and sacrosanct. That is, until you get out of the womb. Then you're on your own.

Transcripts below the fold

MR. GREGORY: One more question on abortion, an issue you care deeply
about. I, I want to be clear on this. Do you believe that there should
be any legal exceptions for rape or incest when it comes to abortion?

SEN. SANTORUM: I believe that life begins at conception, and that
that life should be cut--should be guaranteed under the Constitution.
That is a person, in my opinion.

MR. GREGORY: So even in a case of rape or incest, that would be taking a life?

SEN. SANTORUM: That would be taking a life, and, and I believe that,
that any doctor who performs an abortion--that--I would advocate that
any doctor that performs an abortion should be criminally charged for
doing so. I don't--I've never supported criminalization of abortion for
mothers, but I do for people who perform them. I believe that life is
sacred. It's one of those things in the Declaration of Independence.
We are endowed by our creator with certain inalienable rights, and the
first is life. And I believe that that life should be protected at the
moment it is a human life. And at conception it is biologically human,
and it's alive. It's a human life, it should be a person under the
Constitution.

• Tink123 2012/01/05 15:54:52 (edited)
    Tink123
    +12
    He's also said he believes states have the right to BAN contraception. He claims this is a "states rights" position and he would disagree with them doing so - but it's their right. Then on the other hand he says states do NOT have the right to fashion their own gay marriage laws. That's awfully handy. Sounds like more social engineering only from a different perspective, to me. But wait - there's more...

He wants a Constitutional Amendment that REDEFINES Marriage. Because that's not an overreach of federal power or social engineering at all. lol

Oh - but we're not done! He says life is precious - it is. But he supports the drug war even in lieu of the fact that as of 2007 a study found 300% MORE Americans die from PRESCRIPTION drug related reasons than from ALL OTHER illegal narcotics COMBINED - not ONE of which was pot related. So it's ok for Big Pharma to sell death - not ok to grow plants. And that's increasing by double digits each year.

The guy is a walking talking contradiction. And all that before even mentioning his foreign policy. You want to talk candidates with DANGEROUS foreign policy - this is the guy right here.

• Tony ☮ ... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 05:20:15
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    That is only your opinion and has no basis in fact or law. You're also wrong. Do you think it's a good idea to arrest doctors for performing LEGAL abortions?
  • Reichstolz Tony ☮ ... 2012/01/05 05:36:49
    Reichstolz
    +1
    Yes I think it is a good idea to arrest any physician who performs procedures that are medically unnecessary, legal or not. I do have plenty of basis in law. http://www.uffl.org/vol%205/c...
  • Tony ☮ ... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 05:47:00
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    So women will be forced to have unqualified butchers perform them in back alley's? Brilliant
  • Reichstolz Tony ☮ ... 2012/01/05 05:53:37
    Reichstolz
    +1
    No only if they choose to kill their child. If they choose to have sex they should have the choice to suffer the consequences.
  • Tony ☮ ... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 06:02:05
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    Did they teach you that in Med school?
  • Reichstolz Tony ☮ ... 2012/01/05 06:06:14
    Reichstolz
    +1
    No life has taught me personal responsibility and I hold all to the same standard. Every function of our daily lives is full of choices, some people are unwilling to suffer the consequences of their choices, I find that wrong. Ending a life you created just to suit your selfishness is an example of low moral character in my book.
  • Tony ☮ ... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 06:21:39
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    Santorum would like abortion to be illegal even in the case of rape or incest. I find that to be just a tad bit over the top. I would hope you do too.
  • Reichstolz Tony ☮ ... 2012/01/05 06:31:48
    Reichstolz
    +1
    I think it should only be used when medically necessary, which in 99.7% of the cases it isn't.
  • Tony ☮ ... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 06:44:45
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    So as I understand it you would not agree with Santorum since he believes it should be 100% of the time.
  • Reichstolz Tony ☮ ... 2012/01/05 06:46:49
    Reichstolz
    +1
    Medical necessity would say only 0.3% of all abortions have a need to be performed. I would much rather have the government make an exception for those rare instances than have killing on demand as we now have it.
  • ☆stillt... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 05:40:09 (edited)
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    You are correct that it does violate their oath, but there is to much money in it and the AMA is not going to do anything as they recognize the procedure and it is taught in medical schools. Unfortunately most States allow abortion on demand.. Some allow partial birth which should be outlawed ,but in case where the mother life is threatened. This is very rare as they can do an emergency C section.
  • Reichstolz ☆stillt... 2012/01/05 05:59:17 (edited)
    Reichstolz
    +1
    You do realize the AMA does not represent even 20% of the profession? The only way the statistics do not look completely murderous is because they allowed mental anguish to be included in the "risk to health of the mother" category. There are less than 0.3% of all abortions that have a medical necessity. The rest are death on demand. As far as the money involved, without tax payer money "Abortions Are Us"(planned unparenthood) would not exist. The procedure is an elective one can not learn in medical school, if they so choose. With the advancement in neonatal medicine there is not a reason to perform any late term procedure.
  • Tony ☮ ... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 06:04:40
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    Santorum did not specify late term abortions he said doctors should be criminally charged for performing any abortion.
  • Reichstolz Tony ☮ ... 2012/01/05 06:12:51
    Reichstolz
    I classify all abortions in the same categories. Medically necessary or medically unnecessary. As a general rule in this nation all procedures are medically unnecessary.
  • Tony ☮ ... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 06:05:23
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    Even in the case of rape or incest.
  • Reichstolz Tony ☮ ... 2012/01/05 06:16:21
    Reichstolz
    If there is no medical need then they should not be performed period. I take my oath seriously. Also when you look at the statistics proven cases of rape and incest resulting in abortions is less than 0.02% of all abortions.
  • Tony ☮ ... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 06:22:43
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    So you would make a rape victim keep the child?
  • Reichstolz Tony ☮ ... 2012/01/05 06:32:38
    Reichstolz
    keep the child no, bring it to term yes.
  • Tony ☮ ... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 06:46:40
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    That would be much less traumatic on the victim, making them carry a pregnancy with a child of a rapist.
  • Reichstolz Tony ☮ ... 2012/01/05 06:49:17
    Reichstolz
    The child isn't responsible, why punish it.
  • Tony ☮ ... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 06:52:26
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    Neither is the victim.
  • Reichstolz Tony ☮ ... 2012/01/05 06:54:35
    Reichstolz
    So kill the child for the sake of the victim? Create two victims instead of one, great philosophy.
  • Tony ☮ ... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 06:58:13
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    Why don't we leave that up to the victim, you may like to play god, you may think your god, I know many of your colleagues do, but the reality is it's not your choice.
  • Reichstolz Tony ☮ ... 2012/01/05 07:00:04
    Reichstolz
    It is my choice, I can legally deny to perform the killing.
  • Tony ☮ ... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 07:02:02
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    It's not your choice what the victim does, I know that interferes with your god complex but you'll just have to get over it.
  • Reichstolz Tony ☮ ... 2012/01/05 07:04:49
    Reichstolz
    You are correct, I cannot keep the victim from creating another victim. I would only hope that no one would perform a medically unnecessary procedure.
  • Tony ☮ ... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 07:07:29
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    I would hope for the same thing.
  • ☆stillt... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 06:28:41
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +2
    Yes, I am aware, but that 20% make up a lot of the boards that would be taking a Doctor license to practice away. Yes I know that they recognize mental anguish which I do not agree with. They also consider in some cases the monetary ability of the mother to raise the child. That is really crazy as the will get checks from the state to do that. I read in the newspaper about a Doctor approved a girls abortion as she said it would interfere with ability to go out and go on dates, so the Doctor did the abortion. I would have not thought that was a good reason. I am sure someone here will disagree with me on that. There has to be consequences in life and we should be responsible for our action. Here in California they use to go after the fathers for child support when the state has to pay for children born out of wedlock. When they ask the girl for the fathers name she said she had no idea. She finally came up with of like nine possibilities and 2 unknowns. The news article was on the welfare system and problems in Orange County. We live in very sad times.
  • Reichstolz ☆stillt... 2012/01/05 06:38:41
    Reichstolz
    +1
    Yes we do especially those of us in CA. We pay for the privilege at every turn.
  • ☆stillt... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 07:09:29
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +2
    We certainly do!!!
  • ☆stillt... darcie ... 2012/01/05 05:16:06
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    I actually posted an abortion on sodahead for some lady that was giving me a hard time about my thoughts. After I posted the actually video of what happens to the fetus as it was fight to live as it was trying to get away from the needle and its mouth wide open as if it were screaming and then you saw the soft body tissue sucked in the the needle. Then the forceps inserted to crush the head so that it could be removed. I never heard another word from her.
  • beavith1 2012/01/05 04:41:09
    beavith1
    +2
    if you don't like him, don't vote for him.

voting for a Santorum would swing politics hard to the right. especially, seeing that we are currently living under this hard swing to the left, why would we do that?
  • Tony ☮ ... beavith1 2012/01/05 04:54:33
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    So you agree with Santorum? You think it's a good idea to arrest doctors for performing abortions?
  • Reichstolz Tony ☮ ... 2012/01/05 05:12:30 (edited)
    Reichstolz
    As a physician, yes I do think that those who perform procedures without medical necessity should be prosecuted.
  • Tony ☮ ... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 05:21:23
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    Again That is only your opinion and has no basis in fact or law. You're also wrong. Do you think it's a good idea to arrest doctors for performing LEGAL abortions?
  • Reichstolz Tony ☮ ... 2012/01/05 05:40:40
    Reichstolz
    Yes it is a good idea to arrest doctors performing medically unnecessary procedures. http://www.uffl.org/vol%205/c...
    http://articles.chicagotribun...
    In 1969[2], Judge Gerhard A. Gesell ruled that District of Columbia law was unconstitutionally vague because it permitted abortions only to preserve a mother's "life or health," without clearly defining those terms. Gesell wrote that the word "health" provided "no clear standard to guide either the doctor, the jury or the court."
  • Tony ☮ ... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 05:50:19
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    I see you would prefer to play word games than to answer the question.
  • Reichstolz Tony ☮ ... 2012/01/05 06:08:39
    Reichstolz
    While they may be technically legal they are medically unnecessary and therefore a violation of their oath, which is punishable under both criminal and civil law. So again, I want all doctors who perform medically unnecessary procedures to be prosecuted. You may call it word games but it is no less true.
  • Tony ☮ ... Reichstolz 2012/01/05 06:23:58
    Tony ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    So in the case of rape you find an abortion to be medically unnecessary?
  • Reichstolz Tony ☮ ... 2012/01/05 06:36:10
    Reichstolz
    If there is no medical need for the procedure it should not be done. The fetus can survive on its own at 24 weeks, and then be adopted a month later.

2014/11/27 09:33:15