Santorum: "I don't care" about unemployment rate

ϟM̈ öp̈vytöϟ 2012/03/20 00:35:46
Republican White House hopeful Rick Santorum said on Monday he did not care about the U.S. unemployment rate, perhaps the nation's most closely watched economic indicator, despite being embroiled in a campaign largely focused on the still-sputtering economy.

"I don't care what the unemployment rate is going to be. It doesn't matter to me. My campaign doesn't hinge on unemployment rates and growth rates," Santorum said during a campaign appearance in Illinois, which on Tuesday holds the next contest in the state-by-state battle for the Republican presidential nomination.

Santorum, a former senator from Pennsylvania known mainly for a strong religious conservatism, is battling Mitt Romney, a former Massachusetts governor and the frontrunner in the race to oppose President Barack Obama in the November election.

Santorum used his economic comments to attack Romney as not being a true conservative.

"We have one nominee who says he wants to run the economy. What kind of conservative says the president runs the economy? What kind of conservative says, 'I'm the guy because of my economic experience that can create jobs?' I don't know. We conservatives generally think government doesn't create jobs," Santorum said.

Romney, who is also a former private equity executive, has made his business experience the centerpiece of his presidential campaign, contending that it makes him the best candidate to steer the economy. His campaign leaped on Santorum's remarks, by saying it added to Romney's contention that Santorum is an 'economic lightweight."

Santorum walked back from his comments later in remarks to reporters. "As far as my political campaign ... of course I care about the unemployment rate. I want the unemployment rate to go down, but I'm saying my candidacy doesn't hinge on whether the unemployment rate goes up and down. My candidacy is about something that transcends that; it's about freedom. It's not about Governor Romney's idea that he is going to fix the economy," he said.

The unemployment rate is currently 8.3 percent.

• ϟM̈ öp̈vytöϟ 2012/03/20 00:39:34
    He shouldn't be elected president
    ϟM̈ öp̈vytöϟ
    +14
    Wow this jerk is running for president and he says something this insensitive. It just shows he don't care about the people.

• Candy 2012/04/06 16:07:07
    He is just telling it like it is
    Candy
    The rate is a lie. I don't care about it either because 87k-- almost 1/3 of our population isn't working:

• S. Gompers 2012/03/29 09:44:53
    He is just telling it like it is
    S. Gompers
    No politician does, they only care about living on the backs of the rest of us.
  • Dave 007 2012/03/25 12:11:18
    He shouldn't be elected president
    Dave 007
    Next.
  • jumpboots 187th PIR 2012/03/23 01:41:23
    He shouldn't be elected president
    jumpboots 187th PIR
    Another career politician. Very stupid remark. say good night Ricky. jjj
  • Mack 2012/03/21 19:59:41
    He shouldn't be elected president
    Mack
    It's one more reason why I will never again vote for any GOP candidate.
  • Wag 2012/03/21 14:39:50
    He is just telling it like it is
    Wag
    #1 goal beat Obama. The rest is just crap, The budget,unemployment,trade, deficit and health care. He just doesn't care. The left don't have to worry about even dealing with this guy much longer.

Santorum
  • explorer1618 2012/03/21 14:05:17
    He shouldn't be elected president
    explorer1618
    For any thing !
  • James 2012/03/21 03:45:14
    He shouldn't be elected president
    James
    To all the Santorum supporters in this country....

• Alvin 2012/03/21 00:49:09
    He shouldn't be elected president
    Alvin
    He does not care about the unemployment rate. He does not think the economy is important in this election. He is not a politician he is a religious crusader bent on turning this country into a theocracy.
  • firelooker 2012/03/20 21:00:39
    He is just telling it like it is
    firelooker
    At least he's being honest, unlike Obummer who tries to tell us everythings fine while he keeps screwing up the economy. Gas @ over 4 bucks a gallon yeah right Obie really wants us to think he's in our corner.
  • Fievel 2012/03/20 16:25:51
    He shouldn't be elected president
    Fievel
    +3
    What a Fuc**ng Jerk! Ahm.
    It's important to deal with theses problems, as it seems, most politicians seem to only wanna handle workable problems. If certain money from certain places were to be transferred elsewhere, maybe we might have some extra.
    As it is, we seem to act like the ONDCP is still needed to too far of an amount.
    We need to transfer some of the funds elsewhere. Now the Rehabs which the ONDCP pay for, that should stay... but paying out into 70 Billion on the drug war (HAS TO STOP)

That would help Unemployment.

Dennis E Strausser Jr (R)
  • Cordingly 2012/03/20 15:34:30
    He shouldn't be elected president
    Cordingly
    +3
    Why he's stayed in the race so long is a question that both confuses and frightens me.
  • Mack Cordingly 2012/03/21 20:09:30
    Mack
    He's still in because of his wealthy billionaire. He's the one who said ladies in his day put aspirin between thier knees for contraception and it was fine. I don't know which of these two is the biggest idiot but I know Santorum would be a horrible president , as would Romney
  • boltfox20 2012/03/20 14:57:06
    He shouldn't be elected president
    boltfox20
    +4
    Not just because of this. He's just insane.
  • jwalker 2012/03/20 14:43:30
    He shouldn't be elected president
    jwalker
    +2
    During one of the early debates, Ron Paul said the patriot act was an attack on American's constitutional right and Santorum said that it wasn't. There is only one choice for people who value freedome and liberty, Ron Paul.
  • cate 2012/03/20 14:22:36
    He is just telling it like it is
    cate
    He is just telling it like it is, because he will soon join the ranks of the unemployed. Heard there may be some openings with Encyclopedia - Brittanica sales - door to door.
  • Harry 2012/03/20 13:23:25
    Harry
    +2
    This is a classic case of taking a statement out of context. He simply meant that the purpose of his campaign was not fundamentally affected by an uptick or a downtick in the government's official unemployment rate. (I say this as one who us not supporting Santorum for the nomination.) Enough of these idiotic "gotcha" reports.
  • Mack Harry 2012/03/21 20:15:05 (edited)
    Mack
    Santorum is wrong on this point, in context or not. If the unemployment rate goes down, Obama becomes a stronger candidate, much stronger. If the rate goes up, Santorum will talk about it and blame President Obama for it, constantanly. The reason he says he doesnt care is because jobs are slowly coming back without any help from him or the GOP. Santorum is far to shortsighted to be a good US president.
  • Harry Mack 2012/03/22 15:59:01
    Harry
    You mean to say the incremental job increases have come about without any help from PRESIDENT OBAMA, for this is the slowest economic recovery in eighty years.
  • Mack Harry 2012/03/22 19:51:57
    Mack
    GOP filibusters have done the nation harm and slowed the recovery of the economy. Obstructionism by the GOP has hurt people. The Gop party of no will try to etch a sketch it's history of the last four years away but there is video. The number one goal of the GOP was not getting people back to work but making Obama a one term president, thier shame.
  • Harry Mack 2012/03/22 21:18:43
    Harry
    Obama had commanding control of both houses for two years - a period when he could do anything he wanted and, ironically, when his polls plummeted because the people hated what he was doing. So don't blame the GOP for his lacking an economic policy that makes sense.

The Democrats still control the Senate. He should be thankful the Republicans have since gained control the House. Otherwise, his unpopular policies, if allowed to pass without significant opposition, would have led to his political suicide by now.

Had the Republicans also gained control of the Senate in 2010, we would now have the Keystone Pipeline in operation, ready to add tens of thousands of new jobs and ACTUALLY help the struggling economy.
  • Mack Harry 2012/03/24 22:50:37
    Mack
    The teaparty is not all of America and thier views are in the minority.
  • Harry Mack 2012/03/25 02:16:33
    Harry
    The patriots represented only one-third of the colonial population in 1776. One-third were loyalist, and one-third were either neutral of ignorant about our relations with the British government. Still, in the end the patriots prevailed.
  • Mack Harry 2012/03/31 13:51:38 (edited)
    Mack
    This is 2012, not 1776 and most of the people in this country do not support the tea party canidates or what they and the GOP has done regarding women's health issues, since the last midterm elections. Gays will not support the teaparty by great majority, nor will Hispanics or Blacks. Now that the GOP has pretty much lost the womans vote, it looks even worst for them.
    About the only way the GOP will take over the country is through voter suppression which they are engaged in now.
  • Harry Mack 2012/04/04 17:45:24
    Harry
    The only voters the GOP wishes to suppress are the illegal ones, voters the Democrat party depends on for winning election (why else would they oppose voter photo ID?) - that and the ignorant ones.

By accident, you've hit the nail on the head. The Democrat party is in fact, largely an amalgam of disparate special interest groups, each gathering at the public troughand demanding its own special government programs and handouts. No longer is it the party of the common people. In fact, more and more, the GOP has taken over that role.
  • Mack Harry 2012/04/06 19:07:16
    Mack
    The recovery is slow because the gops first priority is to make Obama a one term president.
  • Zippcodey 2012/03/20 13:22:51
    Zippcodey
    +3
    Newt, Romney, Santorum, Obama, none should be our President. I think they all are from the same litter.
  • ϟM̈ öp̈... Zippcodey 2012/03/20 15:24:38
    ϟM̈ öp̈vytöϟ
    +3
    Yeah the garbage dump to which they should return to.
  • Zippcodey ϟM̈ öp̈... 2012/03/20 15:41:21
    Zippcodey
    That's right and Obama right along with them.
  • Cordingly Zippcodey 2012/03/20 15:33:00
    Cordingly
    I'm in the same camp right now. Obama hasn't been doing the worse job, but we could definitely find a better replacement, and the GOP is basically handing him a second term, which is really hard to do.
  • Zippcodey Cordingly 2012/03/20 15:43:16
    Zippcodey
    These guys are hand picked long before becoming President. It's who the shadow government wants to further their agenda, so it does not matter if it is a Democrat or Republican, they now have it all in control.
  • Lt. Fred 2012/03/20 12:13:09
    He shouldn't be elected president
    Lt. Fred
    +3
    That is indeed what their broken, failed ideology claims. Unemployment is not the product of some kind of 'economy', it's simply the choice of individuals. For some reason, millions of them chose to be impoverished, starving and sick for years. According to do-nothing conservatives, the government cannot and should not move to help them.
  • Scout 2012/03/20 12:01:05
    He is just telling it like it is
    Scout
    +1
    I wouldn't vote for this guy, but he has a point. Anyone who claims that they will create jobs as president is a liar. Presidents are in no position to create jobs. Business creates jobs.
  • Mack Scout 2012/03/21 20:30:34
    Mack
    President Obama's stand to restructure GM created over 100,000 jobs. I would not vote for santorum.
  • Scout Mack 2012/03/22 10:47:15
    Scout
    I must say that I doubt that a direct correlation between the actions of a sitting president and job creation could be drawn. The exception being FDR, whose actions, it can be argued, actually lengthened the depression.
  • Mack Scout 2012/03/22 20:07:20 (edited)
    Mack
    So you doubt that the actions President Obama took that restructured GM and put them in the position they are in now is hurting the economic recovery. You may not think the current sitting President Barack Obama had a positive influence on job creation but old and new employees of GM will most likey disagree with you and vote for Obama. What's sad is none of the GOP stood up for the GM workers. They won't forget that.
  • Scout Mack 2012/03/23 10:56:00
    Scout
    I'm no rabid Republican nor am I a Democrat, so I am not trying to engage in one of those typical Sodahead retard shouting matches. But...didn't the whole "bailout, printing non-existent money, federalizing the auto industry and the banks" thing begin with Bush?
  • tom C 2012/03/20 11:42:29 (edited)
    He is just telling it like it is
    tom  C
    and Obama has proven with his actions...he Sure doesnt care about unemployment
    so whats the big deal....
  • Lt. Fred tom C 2012/03/20 12:13:37
    Lt. Fred
    +1
    Nonsense.
  • tom C Lt. Fred 2012/03/20 12:34:46
    tom  C
    Really? now...
    keystone pipeline...20,000 jobs
    drilling deep water rigs...20,000 jobs
    Nasa 15,000 jobs..
    and the list goes on

2014/07/29 02:42:38