Santorum Claims California Universities Don’t Teach American History

ProudProgressive 2012/04/02 19:36:40

Many people had raised eyebrows recently when Republican candidate Rick Santorum called the President of the United States a "snob" because the President believes that everyone in this country should have the opportunity to get a decent education. Apparently, Santorum was motivated by jealousy. Although Santorum claims to have graduated from Penn State University, his remarks this weekend seem to demonstrate that Santorum has no idea what a college curriculum is or what people actually do when they go to college, like attend classes. Oh well, at least Santorum is still a good source of entertainment.

Article excerpt follows:

By Alex Seitz-Wald
Apr 2, 2012

Rick Santorum has previously called colleges “indoctrination mills” that make students liberal and Godless, and labeled President Obama a “snob” for wanting kids to get educated. “Oh, I understand why he wants you to go to college. He wants to remake you in his image,” Santorum said.

Santorum continued his broadside against higher education (and the facts) today in Wisconsin, claiming that “seven or eight” of the ten schools in the University of California system “don’t even teach an American history course”:

SANTORUM: I was just reading something last night from the state of California. And that the California universities – I think it’s seven or eight of the California system of universities don’t even teach an American history course. It’s not even available to be taught.

In fact, of the 10 UC system schools, just one (San Francisco) doesn’t offer American history courses. But that’s because it doesn’t offer any humanities courses at all — it’s a medical school.

Meanwhile, Berkeley, Irvine, Davis, Los Angeles, Merced, Riverside, San Diego, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz all offer numerous American history courses. All require students to take U.S. history before they can graduate.

University of California spokesperson Brooke Converse emailed to note that every single UC undergraduate program is required to study “American history and institutions,” though specific requirements vary at each campus.

Read More: http://thinkprogress.org/education/2012/04/02/4565...

• Lana 2012/04/02 20:09:49
    Lana
    +5
    Hate to respond to any thing concerning slick Rick as we thought we were ride of him when we threw him of the Senate and sent him packing ! This is one crazy dumb person and couldn't get into any other college except Penn State and that is not very hard at all.
    Maybe he did not have American history at Penn State which would not surprise me but I believe he is talking out of his butt about U of C but he tends to do that very often.
    I laugh when I see people in other states working for this loser. I myself would contact a person that lives in home state, but maybe that would be hard as he really lived in VA and wanted the government to pay for his kids schooling. Nasty, nasty person, those that vote for him deserve what they get. He may win the center of the state but not Philly or PGH ! Bye, bye Rick, don't let the door hit you in the butt !

• Níl mé leat 2012/04/03 01:34:39
    Níl mé leat
    +3
    At first I was worried about him possibly being the next president, but the more he speaks the less worried I am.
  • Orangedragan 2012/04/03 01:12:17
  • wildcat 2012/04/02 23:18:53
    wildcat
    +3
    What would Rick S. know about and California Universities? He is an extremist wacko.
  • Rebel Yell 2012/04/02 21:43:41
    Rebel Yell
    +2
    This sums up the nutcase known as Rick Santorum perfectly.

" SANTORUM: I was just reading something last night ...." So if he was ' reading something' , that makes it true? That means it is fact? Santorum is a loose cannon who will never get anywhere near the Oval Office. That maniac couldn't carry one state.

Advice to Santorum. Stick to something more your speed .....like the TV Guide.
  • A Founding Father 2012/04/02 20:45:37 (edited)
    A Founding Father
    +2
    Well, you see, evangelicals including Catholics, have a "different history" than the secular world. They think the world began 4,4044 years ago when "God" came upon this planet and took some mud and made a couple of manikins like "himself", and spent a whole week here making sixteen billion species of plants and animals, all a little different and, of course, totally unrelated or capable of "evolving". Then, there is the more "modern" history
    of feeding thousands with a McDonald's fish sandwich and some fries, raising dead people, and putting the hundreds of trillions of stars and galaxies out there in space. Rick
    knows that California universities aren't inclined to teach these stories. He will change all of that when he becomes the "Right hand of God" and ascends the throne to rule until "Jesus" returns with an army of angels.

As for specific "American History", Rick knows that Ben Franklin and John Adams were really "angels" disguised as men to be sure we were a "Christian nation" and would always
    be inclined to burn those "non-believers" at the stake or otheerwise dispose of them in a convenient manner.
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/04/02 20:29:05
    **StarzAbove**
    +3
    This guy has no clue as to what he says most of the time!
  • Lana 2012/04/02 20:09:49
    Lana
    +5
  • Balladeer-PWCM-POTL 2012/04/02 20:07:15
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    Santorum is right..i have collided with college educated 'teachers' whose stupidity knows no bounds..

PERFECT EXAMPLE:

At an historical reenactment in Marion, Indiana..one 'teacher' claimed that the USA never addressed slavery until the Emancipation Proclamation..I corrected them saying the Northwest Territory Ordinance of 1787 forbade slavery.

the 'teacher' replied: 'What does Canada have to do with this?'

I corrected them saying , at the time the Northwest territory was where we were standing..Indiana.

The Teacher tried to get me removed from the encampment
  • ProudPr... Ballade... 2012/04/02 20:11:23
    ProudProgressive
    +2
    Not to mention the Missouri Compromise, the Kansas-Nebraska Act, and even the importation clause in the Constitution itself.

I agree that there are some educators in this country who don't seem to have much of a grasp on what they're supposed to be teaching. However, that has nothing to do with Santorum's statement. He wasn't talking about the content of history classes. He was talking about the existence of them.
  • Ballade... ProudPr... 2012/04/02 20:21:15
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    find...

EXAMPLBE #2:

a music Teacher at Bowling Green State University, bowling Green Ohio..claiming the Banjo is the ONLY american Stringed instrument...i asked

"What about the Lap Dulcimer?'

She never heard of it

I also pointed out the banjo while american is questionable being the product of African-americans

She then got upset calling me a racist...I pointed out that the earliest Banjo was a 5 string...so WHY the fifth string?

I told her to find a Sub-saharan african tribe that had instruments WITH A DRONE...I haven't been able to find one...so HOW could someone without the concept of a drone musical instrument add a fifth string to an instrument to serve as a drone????

before she could sputter 'racist' more I asked

What about the Scots and Irish and yes the english and the germans...ALL have a background with the pipes that HAVE drones....they developed the lap dulcimer and the fiddle playing of two strings at the time

she stomped away muttering about 'stupid redneck'
  • thepiansit Ballade... 2012/04/03 01:15:16
    thepiansit
    +4
    Okay, Ballade, that's two examples of people you ran into who didn't know something you did. I suspect they knew plenty that you didn't, as well. And tell us, have you encountered capable, knowledgeable teachers as well? Do they outnumber the ones you thought were stupid? You strike me as someone who makes broad generalizations, based on minimal information. A lot like Santorum.
  • Ballade... thepiansit 2012/04/03 01:31:21
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    answer NO..I have 'schooled' teachers who have tried to teach ME WRONG things..here's a partial list..

the LEM has only three legs (it has four)
    Grant was leading the union forces at first Bull Run/Manasses (it was Johnston)
    Galileo discovered the laws of Planetary Motion ( it was my ancestor Kepler)
    Smallest Sovereign State in the world is Monaco ( The Vatican is smaller)
    Nixon started the Viet Nam War (Kennedy did)
    to prove their is a 'great Lakes Triangle' The Augusta went down in calm weather in july (in reality it went down in november ..the last picture of the vessel has it covered in Ice as it locked through the Soo)
    Sherlock Holmes was a total cocaine addict ( in the Return of Sherlock Holmes it was revealed that Holmes kicked the cocaine habit)
    There are no differences between Drawfs and midgets ( a 'midget' is a well formed human being only in miniature...a dwarf has different sized body parts eg Michael Dunn..a full sized head on a small body)
    Gov. Rhodes called in the Ohio National guard without provocation ( the downtown of Kent , Ohio was destroyed)
  • thepiansit Ballade... 2012/04/03 02:03:11
    thepiansit
    +2
    Because you insist you've encountered no capable, knowledgeable teachers, I am skeptical of anything you say regarding your "schooling" of others. You are not believable. Furthermore, judging others based on the fact that their store of trivia knowledge is not the same as your is shallow. And lastly, I would suggest you have a problem comprehending the written word, since-- as ProudPr pointed out to you earlier--you completely missed the point of what Santorum was saying.
  • Ballade... thepiansit 2012/04/03 02:11:06
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    PeePee has the proverbial ax to grind against anyone that isn't a socialist like Obama...myse;lf I am pointing out the idiots that call themselves 'teachers'
  • thepiansit Ballade... 2012/04/03 02:21:47
    thepiansit
    +2
    And I am confident that the idiot who calls himself "ballade" has never met a teacher who is as ignorant as he is, no matter how much knowledge he THINKS he has.
  • Ballade... thepiansit 2012/04/03 02:23:39
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    chuckle..spoken like a union thug from WI...bet you will vote during the recall election at least three times
  • thepiansit Ballade... 2012/04/03 02:33:30
    thepiansit
    +2
    You began your comments on this thread by showing your ignorance. in claiming "Santorum is right." NOT TRUE. He said that Am. Hist. is not taught on 7 or 8 of the University of California systems. That is simply false, and so you are WRONG. Your ensuing posts have further clarified your ignorance. You can say nothing to defend yourself, and so your resort to name calling. You're the kind of person the Republicans delight in herding like sheetp. I'm not wasting any more time pointing out what a tool you are.
  • Ballade... thepiansit 2012/04/03 02:34:51
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    yup teacher's Union either direct or a collaborator

2014/10/25 10:32:23