Sanatorum, you shall not bear false witness!

Marie-Jacqueline 2012/02/23 12:54:47

Dutch Puzzled by Santorum’s False Claim of Forced Euthanasia

The Dutch Embassy in Washington declined to comment on Wednesday on recent remarks by Rick Santorum, the Republican presidential candidate, in which he claimed, falsely, that forced euthanasia accounts for 5 percent of all deaths in the Netherlands.

An embassy spokeswoman, Carla Bundy, explained that the Dutch government preferred not to intervene in an American political campaign.
But Ms. Bundy did provide The Lede with documents and official statistics showing that there are no provisions of Dutch law that permit forced euthanasia.
Voluntary euthanasia, which has been legal since 2002, accounted for about 2 percent of deaths in the Netherlands in 2010.

As Jonathan Turley, a legal blogger, explained on Monday, the Dutch law permitting euthanasia is unambiguous about the requirement that it be voluntary, and lawmakers mandated that each case be carefully reviewed by an expert panel.

It not only requires consent but a waiting period.
If a doctor dispatches someone without their consent or satisfying the tight controls, he is charged with murder.

The doctor must document that he or she confirmed that the patient requesting euthanasia or assisted suicide is making a voluntary and informed request.
The record must also show that the patient was suffering unbearably and was fully informed about the prospects.
Then a second doctor must examine the patient and supply a second written opinion on the satisfaction of the criteria.

According to a Dutch government report, experts who reviewed 2,667 requests for euthanasia in 2010 “found in nine cases that the physician had not acted in accordance with the due care criteria.
In five of these cases, it was the way in which the euthanasia or assisted-suicide procedure was performed that was deemed not to comply with the criteria.”

As the Web site Buzzfeed reported, Mr. Santorum’s erroneous comments, made at a public forum hosted by the conservative leader James Dobson on Feb. 3, failed to attract much notice until they were fact-checked, and mocked, in the Dutch press last weekend.

Mr. Santorum’s remarks were not audible in video highlights of the “American Heartland” forum in Columbia, Miss., on his official YouTube channel — edited, music video style, to a driving rock beat.
But his claims about the Netherlands were posted on YouTube by Right Wing Watch, a project of People for the American Way.
That video showed Mr. Santorum claiming that elderly Dutch people wear a bracelet reading “Do not euthanize me.” Over audible gasps from the audience, he continued:

Because they have voluntary euthanasia in the Netherlands, but half the people who are euthanized every year — and it’s 10 percent of all deaths for the Netherlands — half of those people are euthanized involuntarily, at hospitals, because they are older and sick. And so elderly people in the Netherlands don’t go to the hospital, they go to another country, because they’re afraid because of budget purposes that they will not come out of that hospital if they go into it with sickness.

As Buzzfeed noted, Dutch journalists found it easy to refute Mr. Santorum’s statistics, and made fun of his “fact-free” claim that euthanasia was forced on anyone, but they had no idea where he got the idea that the nation’s elderly wear “Do not euthanize me” bracelets.

Ms. Bundy, the embassy spokeswoman, told The Washington Post, “According to the Ministry of Health, ‘Do not euthanize me’ bracelets do not exist in the Netherlands.”

Mr. Santorum’s campaign did not respond to a request to explain who or what the candidate’s sources were.
Glenn Kessler, who writes The Washington Post’s Fact Checker blog, suggested on Wednesday that the candidate was repeating unsubstantiated rumors found online.

A Web site known as Right Wing News last year published an article which asserted that “over 10,000 (Dutch) citizens carry ‘Do not euthanize me’ cards in case they are ever admitted to a hospital unexpectedly.” The source was the Louisiana Right to Life Federation, which in turn cited no specific source except possibly the Nightingale Alliance, which opposes euthanasia.
But this group does not appear to have published any actual figures.

In a letter to The British Medical Journal last year, a Dutch euthanasia specialist wrote that such cards do not exist. “What does exist is a living will (the levenswensverklaring), which is distributed by the Christian Dutch Patient Association,” in which people can “state that active life termination is not an acceptable option.” He wrote that it is unclear how many people had completed such a living will.

At the end of his post, Mr. Turley, the legal blogger, concluded: “Putting aside these tiny factual disagreements, it is good to finally see a politician willing to take on our greatest threat: the Dutch.
Dutch propagandists like Rembrandt, Vermeer and Van Gogh have already infiltrated our schools and museums. Our leaders (expect Santorum) are deaf to the growing sound of their wooden-shoe stomping, marzipan-eating hordes.”

Read More: http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/22/dutch-...

• Sissy 2012/02/23 13:10:34
    Sissy
    +11
    I know the republican candidates fail "Fact Check' everytime they open their mouths with their distortions and outright lies, but I hadn't seen this one.

• DDogbreath 2012/03/20 16:34:01
    DDogbreath
    +1
    Santorum also voted with Barbara Boxer to require gun locks on all our guns in 2005. This guy is a real piece of work. They call Ron Paul crazy and Santorum is labeled a conservative?

The Republican party needs a reality check. The liberals, draft dodgers and unethical ones need to be kicked to the curb.
  • Grammar... DDogbreath 2012/03/22 09:17:28
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    Well said!

Ron Paul 2012.
  • Whizzy 2012/03/20 03:14:20
    Whizzy
    +1
    Thanks for posting Marie-Jacqueline

dank je wel
  • Artistry 2012/02/24 18:15:38
    Artistry
    +2
    Could someone please tell me what Santorum with his caveman mentality has to do with what the Dutch do? He is a thief, he stole from the state of Pennsylvania. He has no answers for the United States. So why not just shut up, please. Cheers.
  • Marie-J... Artistry 2012/02/25 18:41:22
    Marie-Jacqueline
    +1
    I don't expect him to shut up!
  • William 2012/02/24 08:13:26 (edited)
    William
    +2
    The wearing of these bracelets involves a legal document called a "living will". You can, if you so desire, have a document attached to your will authorizing medical personnel to respect your wishes not to be resuscitated. Those who do not wish to be resuscitated from a terminal condition, wear a special band that instructs hospital personnel of your wishes. This is law in the United States.

do not resuscitate bracelet

do not resuscitate bracelet
  • Marie-J... William 2012/02/24 17:05:40
    Marie-Jacqueline
    +2
    We have something simular, like this one, it also involves a legal document

Reanimatie
  • William Marie-J... 2012/02/24 17:20:17
    William
    +2
    The Netherlands is nice. I don't think I've ever visited a city as big as Amsterdam, where I felt as safe.
  • Marie-J... William 2012/02/25 18:52:15
    Marie-Jacqueline
    +1
    A lot of tourist say that. The biggest danger for a tourist, foreign or domestic, sre the pickpockets.

Did you go anywhere else as Amsterdam?
    It is a pity that a lot of tourists limit themself to Amsterdam only.

I live some 200 km to the south-east of Amsterdam.
    I live near the German and Belgian border.
    Different in many ways, like language, we speak a dialect here that people in Amsterdam don't understand.
    It isn't all flat here, in the south of the province I live we have even small hills.
    Danger of flooding comes from the rivers here, not from the sea.
  • William Marie-J... 2012/03/01 06:11:17
    William
    +2
    Only had a day and a half, and it was years before the Wall in Germany fell--1984. We originally intended to stay the night in Nancy, France, but the innkeeper of the only place with room enough was so rude that we drove into night just to get out of France. We got a warm welcome from the innkeeper in Amsterdam, who hugged my Dad and said,"I love Americans, the liberators of Holland.". That night, my Step-mother asked us to keep an eye on our Dad who was wondering into the red light district. I don't think that I ever felt more secure--don't ask my why. I was hoping to go to the Van Gogh Museum, but wouldn't you know it was closed for a holiday. In the Morning we took a bus tour where an attractive short-haired blonde made jokes about the "Poonk" (Punk). Then it was off to Rotterdam for a day, including a stop at Kookenhof Tulip farms. Then we took the boat from Brugge, Belgium over to the Island of GB.

I gotta say, I like the Dutch. Friendlier than the Germans and far friendlier than the French--by my experience of course. Britain was expensive, but historical. Yeah, I'd have to say the best time I had--minus not getting to go to the Van Gogh--was my Amsterdam experience.
  • Marie-J... William 2012/03/01 11:23:55
    Marie-Jacqueline
    +1
    LOL: A typical U.S. tourist, see a country in a day and a half.

Would you believe that I have never been to the Keukenhof?

How do you pronounce Vincent van Gogh, so that Dutch people feel their toes curl when an English speaking person gives it a try:
    http://painting.about.com/b/2...

It is really a pity that you couldn't visit the Vincent van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. I did and it was really worth the 2 hour travel by train.
    It is really something else when you see those paintings for real.
    The energy and emotion he did put into his paintings are still there seeing the real thing.
    I really could relate to the man and his life.

Here a long-distance visit to the museum for you:

Maybe not widely known!
    In Arnhem you have The Kröller-Müller Museum. The mueseum has also a big collection of Van Gogh's paintings:

• William Marie-J... 2012/03/10 03:07:26
    William
    +1
    Thank you for that. Sounds like they are saying "v'hoke".
  • aneed2know 2012/02/24 08:11:15
    aneed2know
    +5
    This is how i see the GOP candidates:
    Douche= Sanatorum
    Jerk= Romney
    Ass=Newt
    Nut case= Paul

do i need to say more?
  • William aneed2know 2012/02/24 08:16:36
    William
    +2
    It's a free country! No, wait!...
  • aneed2know William 2012/02/24 08:21:18
    aneed2know
    +2
    what does this have to do with my posting, i never said they could not be?
  • William aneed2know 2012/02/24 08:29:20
    William
    +1
    It was just an invitation to say as much as you please.
  • aneed2know William 2012/02/24 08:30:47
    aneed2know
    +4
    i said what i had to say.
  • Grammar... William 2012/03/22 09:22:37
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    Man!
    That dude's defensive as HELL!
    Wow!
  • Marie-J... aneed2know 2012/02/24 17:06:58
    Marie-Jacqueline
    +1
    Doesn't give comfidence in their abillties to be a head of state!
  • aneed2know Marie-J... 2012/02/25 07:21:08
    aneed2know
    +2
    you are right.
  • James 2012/02/24 02:38:25
    James
    +5
    A "righteous" person such as Santorum shouldn't be breaking commandments so easily.
  • Marie-J... James 2012/02/24 17:11:10
    Marie-Jacqueline
    +2
    True!

He should be an example of upholding the 10 Commandements, being a religious person.

He shouldn't be an example of how to break them!
  • James Marie-J... 2012/02/25 04:46:15
    James
    +2
    tisk tisk......
  • PEEPL 2012/02/24 02:38:03
    PEEPL
    +2
    Honestly the smaller things I don't worry about so much. Even if it was true,. and I could have guessed that it wasn't true, it wouldn't have had an impact on my life. I want to know about more important things like when will the President do something constructive about energy costs and stop preventing the USA's drilling rights in the gulf region while he pays Mexico and Brazil a billion dollars each to take our oil there. That's all of our oil rights taken away, they take all of that oil,. and Obama pays those countries a billion dollars (each) to take it from us.. Those are things that are more relevant to my life.
  • James PEEPL 2012/02/24 02:40:45
    James
    +2
    Funny how Santorum isn't talking about that. Someone like myself might open up more to him that way.
  • aneed2know James 2012/02/24 08:13:39
    aneed2know
    +4
    the problem with PEEPL's statement is this, Obama has opened more land than Bush, domestic production is 8%, and we do not have socialized oil fields so any oil produced here will go on the open market, also we need to understand what will happen if Israel attacks Iran, how much do you think oil will go up then?
  • James aneed2know 2012/02/24 12:57:45
    James
    +2
    Depends on where you live. If you live here in the U.S., not as much as you think. Our biggest oil trading partner by far is Canada while Saudi Arabia is #2....and Egypt hasn't closed the Suez Canal (nor will they). Saudi Arabia also said they will cover the oil production that will be lost by Iran if necessary so if oil spikes, it's because oil investors are a bunch of chickenlittle's and invest using emotion instead of logic.
  • aneed2know James 2012/02/25 07:22:32
    aneed2know
    +2
    you are right, it should not but as long as these people are allowed to speculate without any rules it will.
  • James aneed2know 2012/02/27 03:15:59
    James
    +2
    A bigger fear you would have to worry about is the exact same thing that happened with the mortgage industry will happen with the student loan industry. The taxpayers and the U.S. government will be stuck in a hard place because baby boomer parents will be eating their words when the line they've always used "just go to college and you will find a nice stable job somewhere" proves to be a gross misrepresentation.
  • aneed2know James 2012/02/27 07:10:49
    aneed2know
    +3
    as it is now.
  • James aneed2know 2012/02/28 02:26:01
    James
    You're right. Boy are we screwed.
  • aneed2know James 2012/02/28 05:53:04
    aneed2know
    +1
    very screwed, but the sad thing is, we are dammed if we do and dammed if we don't. Meaning that if we don't get a 4 year degree we most certainly wont be able to make a survivable wage, but if we do, we stand the chance of coming out of college with huge loans and either a slim chance in paying them back in a reasonable time or we are in debt the rest of our lives, so we are indeed screwed.
  • James aneed2know 2012/02/28 15:40:56
    James
    +2
    It's funny you bring that up. The 10 most in-demand jobs right now require at most a certificate. Now, in many of them you "can" make a living if you plan your finances right. My wife will kill me for saying this but tell your kids to go to your local community college for the first 2 years of their lives. That's the best place they can be right now to "go figure things out."
  • Grammar... James 2012/03/22 09:58:01
    Grammar Freak
    +2
    I absolutely agree.
    Young people can get some decent training without having to mortgage their not-yet-first-born to do it. Then they can sort out what they want to do for the majority of their lives... get some experience living first. It's such a shame to have $30,000-$130,000 (or more) albatross hanging round one's neck only to find out ten years later that what one thought would be one's dream, turns out to be one's nightmare.

Sometimes the jobs gotten with vocational school or community college training are actually better paid & more flexible than those demanding university degrees.
    Just for example, one can make quite a good living as a dental hygienist after the first or second year on the job & get work just about anywhere... even, often times, internationally, depending upon language abilities.
  • James Grammar... 2012/03/22 15:58:09
    James
    +2
    My wife will kill me for saying this but I'm of the mindset that not everyone is cut out for college. High end manufacturing is coming back to this country (hooray!) and there is a nationwide call for more machinists and specialists.
  • Marie-J... PEEPL 2012/02/24 17:16:14
    Marie-Jacqueline
    +2
    So that a potential presidential candidate lies through his teeth about a foreign nation may not have a directly impact on you!

He drags The Netherlands, an ally, through the mud!
    People will believe him, his supporters.

Someone in his position should check the facts.
  • Grammar... PEEPL 2012/03/22 09:27:24
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    It's one thing when fuels are extracted from private land, but I do have a huge problem when companies go onto America's public lands & extract petro-fuels & pay NOTHING for them, only to then turn around & make huge profits by selling them back to the American public itself. This is not to mention the destruction of those public lands in the process... complete destruction.

Now, I'm not interested in Socialism or Communism, but I do believe that there is something inherently wrong about the situation in the US regarding the extraction of petro-fuels from public lands... very very wrong.
  • Adam Julian 2012/02/24 00:08:31 (edited)
    Adam Julian
    +3
    Irony/Hypocrisy and Santorum seem to be inseparable.
  • trentinafur 2012/02/23 23:38:35
    trentinafur
    +5
    Holy crap. This is eye-opening, M-J. Thank you for posting it. ALL should see this.

I know Santorum is a religious extremist. I did not realize what a lying, lunatic religious extremist he is. Pennsylvania eventually figured it out - and booted him from the senate. I'm going to guess that the rest of the country is slowly coming around, and that his numbers will start sinking soon - as they did for Perry, Cain, and Gingrich.
  • Marie-J... trentin... 2012/02/24 17:25:02
    Marie-Jacqueline
    +2
    I very much hope so, that people in the U.S. slowly coming around, because we have great doubts wen a U.S. presidential candidate utters such lies.

You know what U.S. citizens might forget in this that it isn't just an internal mishap, it insults an ally, drags their laws etc. through the mud.

You might imagine that we wonder here why such person(s) can be so high in U.S. politics.
    U.S. elections are also a very important issue internationally

2014/10/02 04:31:25