Same-Sex Marriage Amendment In Ohio Gets Green Light. Rave If you support gay marriage

☽Guru_Roy☼ 2012/04/04 00:01:24

Marriage equality advocates in Ohio took one step closer Tuesday to overturning the state's 2004 constitutional amendment that restricts marriages in the state to only those between one man and one woman.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine (R) approved the petition language for an amendment that would redefine marriage in Ohio as “a union of two consenting adults, regardless of gender," according to the Columbus Dispatch.

The Freedom to Marry Coalition is now tasked with gathering 385,253 valid signatures of registered Ohio voters in order to put its marriage equality amendment on the Ohio ballot -- a goal that Ian James, the group's co-founder, told The Huffington Post he hopes to achieve by November 2013.

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/03/same-sex-...

• Grizzle 2012/04/04 12:27:58
    Grizzle
    +24
    This battle is about changing the definition of a word. Marriage is between one man and one woman, civil unions are between one whatever and one whatever. Why not fight for the right to call a cat, a dog?

• lee Copenha... 2012/04/12 18:31:08
    lee
    civil rights history proves you are wrong. "we" can definitely force you to at least ACT like you are not prejudice.... we can't remove your prejudice, but we can force you to stop discriminating.

Republicans have been busy in rolling back progress for women since 2010... you don't know about this?

I tend to agree with you on the whole PDA thing as well, but what are you going to do? some ppl are going to be affectionate in public and, to me, it doesn't matter who is kissing whom. to allow some and not other, as has been the case sometimes, is a form of discrimination.

well i'm glad you don't equate those things... because some do, and its a sign they are weak minded.

as to drugs... I don't agree that the effects are as wide as you claim...how, exactly, does what I put into my body affect anyone but me?
  • Copenha... lee 2012/04/14 18:39:57
    Copenhagenpimp
    Force is not something that should be used by or for the government, especially against it's own populous. THose are the actions of a dictator, not a republic.

I disagree on the women's rights issue. Blaming one party or another aside, I can think of people on both sides that do their best to roll back rights, invent new "rights and entitlements" or ignore those that exist but they disagree with.

The drugs you take, be it pot, beer, or heroin effect your decision making capabilities. I myself have been known to make some bad choices when drinking that have effected others. Keep in mind, most statements,while may seem personal, are spoken in general terms.
  • lee Copenha... 2012/04/15 02:36:32
    lee
    "force" is the word used to describe "by force of law".. its not physical force... unless you disobey the law, and then the physical force tends to be simply directed toward detention/incarceration.

so by that definition, I guess you are right, no one is going to force you to not discriminated.. but they will take you away if you do it enough or don't pay the fines for doing it...

how do "both sides" take rights away from women? its always been liberals who are working for more rights for more people and its always conservatives trying to stop us.

its not the drugs fault that you (generally speaking) make bad decisions... its YOUR fault!... you can't use the "twinkie defense" for bad choices.

• Copenha... lee 2012/04/16 15:45:32
    Copenhagenpimp
    LOL "twinkie defense". I always loved that case. I agree it's choice made by the individual, and drugs used are not a viable defense. But the argument can be made that multiple bad decisions coupled with drugs lead's to consequences that can effect others. Drunk driving is a prime example.

Conservative defense of women's rights:
    > Suffrage (Liberty Party merged with the republican party because of shared values)
    > first woman in the US Congress was Republican Jeanette Rankin of Montana
    > Republican Margaret Chase Smith of Maine was the first woman elected in her own right to the US Senate
    >conservative Margaret Thatcher was the first woman to serve as prime minister of England
    > the first woman to serve on the US Supreme Court was Sandra Day O’Connor, nominated by Ronald Reagan.

Liberals destroy the family unit, embrace and endorse irresponsible promiscuity and use power and wealth to control the masses. I admit there are a lot of politicians that fit that bill on both sides, but lib's always want to take away freedom and then give some back with government control. All while couching it as a "right" for, from and by the government.
  • lee Copenha... 2012/04/16 18:06:42
    lee
    and yet you can, in the space one paragraph, go completely back on the individual responsibility angle... its amazing the way your brain works.

so if i drink and drive, it's societies fault if I hurt someone else?

that's what you are saying when you argue for prohibition.

in MY world, when I violate the law (which stipulates how drunk I can be and still drive) then the only one to blame for that situation is ME. I take full responsibility.. I loose my car. I lose my license. I get points on my DMV report. I pay the fines. I pay higher insurance costs....

and if, god forbid, someone else were to get hurt because of my decision, then I am the one who goes to prison.

I like that system better than yours.

you seem to be arguing for a world where alcohol should be illegal so that if I ever DO get my hands on it (an I will if I want it bad enough) then i won't know how strong it is, or if its contaminated with other stuff that could hurt or kill me, and when i'm drunk there would be no laws about driving under the influence becasue I'm not supposed to even have access to it.

i seriously doubt you have thought this thru.
  • Copenha... lee 2012/04/16 21:48:08
    Copenhagenpimp
    wait what... it's always the individuals responsibility. I'm not arguing for prohibition. Drunk driving was an example of how an individuals bad choices effect others. No more then that.
  • lee Copenha... 2012/04/16 22:49:10
    lee
    then you admit to having an incomplete analysis...

there are always impacts to any policy that are difficult to foresee on the surface (road to hell paved with good intentions, and all that)... but with even a little thought experiment its easy to foresee some of the bigger consequences and at least attempt to rectify them with how we do things in other parts of society.

this is just one example of how that works and why public policy is not to be taken lightly. there are a LOT of moving parts that need all work together, or else you have failure of the system

what we have here is a failed system, that is trying to say some things are bad while others are acceptable, even tho they are both things ppl want and will get into one way or another.

i hope this helps you re-consider your stand on drugs.
  • Copenha... lee 2012/04/17 15:32:52
    Copenhagenpimp
    I thought this was about gay marriage?

I will not change my opinion on drugs. I don't like them. What you or anyone else does with them is up to ya'll. As long as it doesn't effect me and mine be on your merry way.

I will not change my opinion on gay marriage. Marriage is a religious act that is consecrated by the God or Gods you worship and used primarily for reproduction.

Civil union is a contract between two consenting people that should be upheld in any court. If, as a homosexual, you want to throw a party and announce your monogamous union with your partner then so be it.

With both cases, drugs or civil unions, the government has no business in either. The part where mine and anyone else's opinion comes into play is when we as a society or culture have to pay and or are forced to accept your decisions.

If you are morally opposed to gay marriage on religious issues then it is in your interest to ensure your religious monopoly on marriage. That said, those same people don't have a leg to stand on when they attack said homosexuals for their life choice.

If, as a homosexual, you wish to put yourself out there and fight the faiths of the world to accept you, then be ready for some push back. You are attacking their believe's. Right or wrong those people have the same right to their beliefs as you to yours.
  • lee Copenha... 2012/04/17 16:51:35
    lee
    we may not agree on this, but I respect your position. firmly held and clearly stated.

and I agree with the hands off approach you hold as far as the government interference goes..

where i get confused it when you seem to be calling on the government to protect you from being exposed to things you disagree with... is that what you are saying?

cuz if it is, than you can come full circle on the government interference question.

no one has a right to not be offended... if anything you have the opposite of that when you live in a free society... you should EXPECT to be offended... constantly.
  • stevmackey 2012/04/10 16:45:18
    stevmackey
    How the hell is that going to produce children?
  • TheHush... stevmackey 2012/04/10 16:47:31
    TheHushedScreamer
    +3
    Marriage isn't about the production ofchildren.
  • lee stevmackey 2012/04/10 22:26:31 (edited)
    lee
    +2
    its not a LAW that you have to procreate... at least not yet.

and now that the Sanatorium has dropped out... looks like we'll be ok on that front.
  • Seiryuu stevmackey 2012/04/25 18:39:03
    Seiryuu
    Since when did people decide that sex wasn't just for kids?
  • iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~ 2012/04/10 12:45:58
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    +2
    This would be pretty significant - it would be extremely heartening to see principles of marriage equality enshrined an actual state Constitution.

I'm looking forward to see how this goes.
  • Markie 2012/04/10 12:22:40
    Markie
    +4
    Marry who you want and if you want, it is not my business.
  • TheFightingPanties 2012/04/10 07:42:41
    TheFightingPanties
    +1
    YOU ROCK OHIO! FOUR FOR YOU OHIO!
  • voice_m... TheFigh... 2012/04/10 20:55:43
    voice_matters
    ohio hasn't done anything but ban gay marriage so far.
  • TheFigh... voice_m... 2012/04/10 21:08:58
    TheFightingPanties
    really? I thought I read it was passing it though. Did I misread? *goes back to check*
  • voice_m... TheFigh... 2012/04/11 01:55:06
    voice_matters
    the secretary of state republican dewine has approved the wording to be placed on the ballot if they get the needed signatures.
  • kobidobidog 2012/04/10 05:59:47
    kobidobidog
    The right to marry whoever should be the right of the individual. This is our time under the sun. When the gay has the right to marry the hurtful devil will begin to be pushed away from us with love filling the void.
  • olylift 2012/04/10 05:05:32
    olylift
    +1
    Gay marriage should be left up to the states to decide, not a federal government to impose. That's how this country is supposed to work.
  • Victorious Hawk 2012/04/10 04:40:24
    Victorious Hawk
    +2
    Man religious idiots are everywhere. Gay action disgusts me but religious mouth garbage digusts me more. Enemy of mine enemy. Can't wait until these moronic religions die like all the rest throughout time. Think Christianity is the longest lasting major religon on earth? Not by a long shot. 100-500 more years the Bible is going to be in the ancient religions section. In a thousand years in MYTHOLOGY. It will die like all other faiths in human history, because there is no god, gods, son of, prophets, 8 headed snakes, or massive snakes that are half god half giant that swim in the ocean.

There is the earth, sea, sky, moon, stars, other galaxies, and the infinate universe. We are all less than a spec of dust. The bible is a flight of fancy written by the fearfull and later used by leaders to quell the masses. It is a fantasy novel (One that is boring) that has been taken WAY to seriously. Hopfully when this religion dies it is in a bloody war. Purge the stupid.
  • kobidob... Victori... 2012/04/10 06:15:16 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    Jesus does not know the oppressors that oppress whoever. Religion, and the legal system are equally oppressive. That is the sin of the Sodom, and Gomorrah humans, and the humans of the plain. Isaiah 1 kjv verse 17. Gods law is in you. You are the Christian. Perfect lover casts out fear. Religions give what they have. Religions have a book of truth when they have the KJV, but hold it under a basket. Many reject it like they rejected Jesus. An infinite loving God made the infinite inhabiting it even as we not being infinite inhabit the finite structures.
  • pat kobidob... 2012/04/10 16:33:19
    pat
    +1
    If God is an "infinite loving God" please explain (just 1 of MANY examples) the Book of Joshua? Wholesale killing of innocents as the Hebrews made their way into Canaan. Sincerely, from your heart, explain that to me.
  • kobidob... pat 2012/04/11 21:31:13
    kobidobidog
    Lets put it this way. Had Adam, and Eve not wanted the same thing the devil wanted there would be no war no sacrificing to false gods like Baal, and Molech. There would be no military. No condemning legal system ,and no shoot to kill cops protecting their body losing their soul. Humans want to point their finger at God, but are blind to their warmongering ways. It is the same It is someone else's fault, and not mine. Hence Eve said The serpent beguiled me, and Adam said the women that you gave me God gave to me, and I did eat. Adam knew he did wrong ,but did it
    anyway. To blame God for the bad is the same evil spirit in our first parents trying to redirect the blame on someone else. Had Adam, and Eve ignored the devil No one would be blaming God for anything, and there simply would not be any war at all.
  • pat kobidob... 2012/04/12 05:34:38
    pat
    You simply gotta be kidding...
  • kobidob... pat 2012/04/12 18:39:43
    kobidobidog
    I am not kidding. Finger pointing is a favorite thing for humans to do even as it was for Adam, and Eve when they became contaminated with the thoughts of the devil. Had they not what we see in the world, and universe would be completely different.
  • pat kobidob... 2012/04/12 23:28:50
    pat
    Genesis 1:26 Then God said, Let us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness..." No matter how you twist it, the God you worship is responsible. Now read Joshua like I suggested and get to know your God. He is a blood thirsty savage.
  • kobidob... pat 2012/04/13 04:32:16 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    I bet you are not reading the KJV. Had God be what you say heaven would not be heaven.That is your error. Had man never fallen war would never occur. Conclusion is this: The devil the accuser is at work in your brain. The devil began war in heaven cast to this earth, and human continue Satan's work. Jesus is not a warmonger. Jesus is God. How then can God be your accusations? When will pea sized brain humans realizes that Jesus is God making it imposable for God to be your accusations? Accusing God has no advantage for the accuser except getting eternal death in his light when it shines. Why be negitive only having that end?
  • pat kobidob... 2012/04/13 04:57:54
    pat
    I am reading the KJV...so that invalidates the rest of what you say? Your understanding reflects what you are currently capable of understanding. You sip spiritual milk. It is what you can handle. When you are ready for more, life will provide it.
  • kobidob... pat 2012/04/13 20:31:10 (edited)
  • Black Widow 2012/04/10 03:32:35
    Black Widow
    +4
    marriage is the commitment of two people to love each other for ever. in no way is a man and woman marriage any better than a gay or lesbian marriage. gay marriage should be legalized.
  • NatalieHolland 2012/04/10 02:27:09
    NatalieHolland
    +1
    Yay! Let freedom ring!
  • voice_m... Natalie... 2012/04/10 20:58:09
    voice_matters
    what freedom. what is sad is how little libs know. if gays want to marry they are allowed, if the church is willing. what you are asking is for the government to recognize your marriage to give you tax benefeits, and for insurance companies to offer you family plans
  • Natalie... voice_m... 2012/04/14 22:47:19
    NatalieHolland
    You are right, that is what I think should happen.
  • kobidob... Natalie... 2012/04/12 18:42:33 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    Jesus says; If I shall make you free ye shall be free indeed. KJV, John 8:36; If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
  • GUY FAWKES 2012/04/10 02:20:03
  • kobidob... GUY FAWKES 2012/04/10 06:02:34
    kobidobidog
    You don't have the devil in your soul at all.
  • GUY FAWKES kobidob... 2012/04/11 02:49:19
    GUY FAWKES
    Well according to this so called "god" I do so why not play the role ;)
  • kobidob... GUY FAWKES 2012/04/11 22:00:23 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    +1
    Darkness is not for you because darkness is not in you. God is in you. I see him. You see injustice even as God sees it. Humans seeing where they are might consider it, and change. God not being rejected by them is the only way they will change to have the giving, forgiving merciful love of the Lord God in them that is not boastful. For things to really change is for humans to value a thing they can't touch, and that is the soul. A killer will not value the soul of another or their own soul.
    God is light, and God to sinful flesh that dies is a consuming fire. Religions will keep that Truth away from you. I am not a religion. When you don't see the works of Jesus in whoever how then can Jesus be in whoever? Therefore the religions are teaching you their concept of hell not telling you the truth. They have taught you many lies that need to be thrown out with the truth replacing them. Jesus is in you making you aware of that. Jesus is not going to get soul death. Therefore you will not get hell in Gods light on the last day. Their is a reason why the Catholic Church omitted revelation from their bible.

2014/12/20 19:26:26