Same-Sex Marriage Amendment In Ohio Gets Green Light. Rave If you support gay marriage

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/04/04 00:01:24

Marriage equality advocates in Ohio took one step closer Tuesday to overturning the state's 2004 constitutional amendment that restricts marriages in the state to only those between one man and one woman.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine (R) approved the petition language for an amendment that would redefine marriage in Ohio as “a union of two consenting adults, regardless of gender," according to the Columbus Dispatch.

The Freedom to Marry Coalition is now tasked with gathering 385,253 valid signatures of registered Ohio voters in order to put its marriage equality amendment on the Ohio ballot -- a goal that Ian James, the group's co-founder, told The Huffington Post he hopes to achieve by November 2013.

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/03/same-sex-...

• Grizzle 2012/04/04 12:27:58
    Grizzle
    +24
    This battle is about changing the definition of a word. Marriage is between one man and one woman, civil unions are between one whatever and one whatever. Why not fight for the right to call a cat, a dog?

• JAA Grandbr... 2012/04/09 23:23:50
    JAA
    Being a spiritually mature Christian would "confer" on you the spiritual insight, as well as an understanding of the original languages, Hebrew & Koine Greek, & of the history of the words & history at the time the words were written.

The Bible does NOT support a theocracy to be raised during the Church Age, so your going on & on about it is a moot point.

You obviously are NOT scrutinizing the Bible correctly, as noted in my first paragraph.

You stated, "No matter how you try to justify it by citing contextual realities of the time, the fact remains that a religious law compelling the marriage of a rape victim to their rapist has no place in modern law."

This is precisely the kind of statements that tells me it's time to say goodbye to you. You are unable to discuss an issue intelligently. btw, the RCC is not Christian, so I'm kinda doubting you were ever a Christian to begin with.
  • Grandbr... JAA 2012/04/09 23:37:16
    Grandbrother
    +1
    Well, I didn't reach my realization of atheism until well into adulthood, so there's that. And I doubt more than a handful of Christians out of all those who profess Christianity know Hebrew and Koine Greek, so that's a moot point. Lastly, I have and still do study the history of Christianity as I find it fascinating. So it would appear I'm qualified! Woo-hoo!

You claim the Roman Catholic Church isn't Christian? And you doubt MY knowledge of Christianity? Wow... http://www.religionfacts.com/...
  • JAA Grandbr... 2012/04/10 01:51:18 (edited)
    JAA
    NO, NO, & HELL NO!! Just because you are "average" to most Catholics, & many Christians does NOT qualify you to spiritually appraise things of God. Not in anyone's world. Most Christians & Catholics know very little about God or the Bible. That's not a theory; it is fact. In fact, you'll find many atheists & anti-theists know more about the Bible than they do, even though they don't understand most of what they know. God requires that Christians learn the Bible from the original languages, & there's really no getting around that.

No, the RCC is NOT Christian. They may claim to be Christian, just as many Mormons & Jehovah's Witnesses, but they don't pass the "Christian" test regarding the Trinity & salvation according to the Bible. They add to & subtract from the Bible at the Pope's whims.
  • Grandbr... JAA 2012/04/10 19:23:50
    Grandbrother
    +1
    Well, by your stringent standards, there are only a few Christians in the world.

And throughout the middle ages, Catholocism was the whole of Christianity, so I'm not sure when it is you think they suddenly stopped even being a Christian denomination. They still believe in "the father, the son and the holy spirit", so I don't see where they fail on the trinity. What exactly are your "salvation" standards that they're not meeting? And they don't add and subtract from the bible - they simply (eventually) fold new knowledge into how they translate it.

Ultimately though, you seem to be confusing your personal beliefs with objective knowledge about Christianity. Because YOU don't count the Roman Catholic Church as a Christian denomination does not make it so. Because YOU think only those who study the Hebrew and Koine Greek versions of the bible qualify as "real" Christians does not make it so. Because YOU have deemed someone "not spiritually mature" does not make it so.

And none of that changes the fact that there is no way to justify a bible passage calling for rape victims to marry their rapist. The link you provided attempted to do so by pointing out that since women were considered property back then and a raped woman was considered damaged goods, then forcing their rapist to marry them was doing the women a favor. I mean holy crap. THAT justifies it? I don't think so.
  • JAA Grandbr... 2012/04/10 19:48:02 (edited)
    JAA
    +1
    Not my standards, they're Gods. You'll have to take it up with Him.

And NO, Catholicism has never been the ONLY Christian group. That's where educating yourself comes in handy. Do some research.

Catholics believe Mary was the "immaculate conception". That's blasphemous, as Jesus was the "immaculate conception". They believe that water baptism is required for salvation, as well as asking Jesus to come into their hearts. There is no scriptural basis for this. They believe that one can be saved AFTER physical death, so they pray for the salvation of the deceased. They believe that they can pray to saints in order to get help from God. There is nothing scriptural to support this. They believe that dying infants must be "sprinkled" & given the sacrament of the last rites in order to go to heaven.

I could go on & on with the things that the RCC has added & subtracted from God's word, but I don't want to bore you. These aren't MY beliefs, made up by me; these are what God says. Humans cannot just go making up stuff, taking verses out of context to fit their own agenda, & making arbitrary demands on God. God doesn't work that way.

God has NEVER condoned slavery, rape, & a plethora of other things that He is blamed for by anti-theists like yourself. Prior to Jesus incarnation, G...&

God has NEVER condoned slavery, rape, & a plethora of other things that He is blamed for by anti-theists like yourself. Prior to Jesus incarnation, God took the people the way He found them. These were people who believed in all kinds of pagan gods, having all kinds of evil & sinful practices. God created humans, but He gave them a free-will, which means if He was going to let the "good" people make their own choices, He had to do the same for the "evil" people. Most suffering by humans is done as a result of their own negative volition. In other words, we "reap what we sow".

The "rape" issue that you bring up (which has nothing to do with homosexuality, which is the issue in our discussion) is explained. That you don't want to understand it or accept it is why these type of discussions with unbelievers are just a smoke screens. They (you) are just looking for excuses, looking for "gotcha" stuff. They're (you) are not interested in truth. If it's not this, it will be something else that you find contentious.

YOUR issue is not how the Bible works, why did God do this or that, but your rejection of Jesus Christ.
  • Grandbr... JAA 2012/04/10 22:27:26 (edited)
    Grandbrother
    "Not my standards, they're Gods. You'll have to take it up with Him."

Well that'll be difficult since there's no such thing as "God".

As for your laundry list of differences, that's why a variety of Christian denominations exist. Because they all have variation in their interpretations of the bible. But that doesn't negate their being Christian denominations. You just deny their validity, which is your prerogative. But your personal feelings don't impact objective reality, no matter how much you want them to.

Look into the middle ages, when virtually all of Christianity fell under the Roman Catholic Church's purview. Here's a head-start for you: http://www.middle-ages.org.uk...
  • themani... den 2012/04/06 16:30:01
    themaninthebigwhitevan
    +2
    Have you stopped to think of other religions such as atheists?
  • Trish themani... 2012/04/07 02:29:32
    Trish
    Atheism is not a religion. You can't be a religion if you don't believe in it...
  • joesnob... den 2012/04/06 17:02:42
    joesnoboard
    +4
    which god is that?
  • JAA joesnob... 2012/04/07 06:16:45
    JAA
    THE God. Did you actually think there were others, lol? Anyone else is a "false god".
  • Jayne joesnob... 2012/04/08 11:34:39
    Jayne
    +1
    JAA has me blocked. Imagine that! There are thousands of God and all believers think their god is the one and only. There is no god! Never was and never will be. It's all BS to control simple minded people. I feel sory for those who believe for they are being taken advantage of in the worst way. I agree with you joesnob. Thanks for you comment!
  • Wahvlvke den 2012/04/06 17:24:17
    Wahvlvke
    Amen.
  • Catherine 2012/04/06 11:31:38
  • Cleaver62 2012/04/06 09:31:05
    Cleaver62
    +2
    It is about time Ohio took a step forward. Since the election 3 years ago, the current Republican Governor, John Kasich, has done nothing but drag Ohio back into the dark ages by attempting to destroy unions and creating one of the strictist abortion laws in the country. If it passes. Hooray for Ohio!
  • 7leads Cleaver62 2012/04/06 09:53:05
  • Cleaver62 7leads 2012/04/06 12:30:02
    Cleaver62
    +2
    I dissagree 100% but you are entitled to your opinion. No one benifits from lowering wages.
  • 7leads Cleaver62 2012/04/06 12:53:43 (edited)
    7leads
    +2
    lowering wages, losing a few benefits, is much better then a union not being able to pay your retirement...and that is exactly where the unions are pushing us...wait and see...it is coming within a few years. I'm safe...if your under 50, your screwed. I gave you a big rave because you at least took on the issue.
  • Cleaver62 7leads 2012/04/07 00:05:02
    Cleaver62
    Same to you sir.
  • Thisism... 7leads 2012/04/06 14:11:52
  • 7leads Thisism... 2012/04/06 14:43:59
    7leads
    +1
    Yep, I got a little carried away this morning...I am tired of hearing about gays...if people are gay, let them do their thing...it seems to show up on a blog a couple times a day...I guess I can put all the words you mentioned above into one sentence...Unions are dirty bastards, which has brought Greece to its knees....Gays are a moral decay who are mentally sick. How is that?
  • Savanahh 7leads 2012/04/06 21:24:23
  • 7leads Savanahh 2012/04/06 21:32:31
    7leads
    And you have a nice day as well....like I said, it is your life..and I wish you the best with it. LOL
  • Savanahh 7leads 2012/04/06 21:36:22
  • Jayne Cleaver62 2012/04/08 11:37:39
    Jayne
    +1
    It's happening all over the country with the GOP. I say vote every one of those bigots out of office. Enough is enough and it's time for the party of NO to GO!
  • Savanahh 2012/04/06 08:02:55
    Savanahh
    +3
    I think anyone hasevery right to love who ever they want its the way the werer born
  • 7leads Savanahh 2012/04/06 09:55:12
    7leads
    +1
    just keep it behind close doors...everything will be fine.
  • Savanahh 7leads 2012/04/06 21:28:06
  • Urhsten 2012/04/06 07:37:08
  • Savanahh Urhsten 2012/04/06 09:33:52
    Savanahh
    +2
    THANK YOU
    YOU...
    ARE. ..
    AWESOME... !
  • Chukroast 2012/04/06 07:03:40
    Chukroast
    +2
    I rank gay marriage as normal as man-boy and man-sheep marriage.
  • America... Chukroast 2012/04/06 07:42:12
    American☆Atheist
    +7
    I rank you as intelligent as a rock.
  • joesnob... America... 2012/04/06 17:04:52
    joesnoboard
    +4
    Don't be disrespectful towards rocks, please....
  • 7leads Chukroast 2012/04/06 09:14:03
    7leads
    I think you got it right on this one...it's got to be a man-goat thing regardless if it is female to female goat or male to male goat...all the same. plus the addition of the smell.
  • TheBorg 2012/04/06 06:07:02
    TheBorg
    +2
    Marriage, regardless of the sexes involved is stupid and should not be allowed. it is pure discrimination that people who are not married are not allowed the same privileges as those that are. End all civil marriages and give the privileges married people have to everybody. For gay people to cry over being discriminated against just so they can join the special class of citizen who discriminates against people not married is hypocritical.
    gay people discriminated join class citizen discriminates people married hypocritical
  • bleep 2012/04/06 05:45:09
    bleep
    MARRIAGE IS DEFINED BETWEEN A MAN AND A WOMEN. BUT NOT ANYMORE.
  • Savanahh bleep 2012/04/06 08:47:05
  • 7leads Savanahh 2012/04/06 09:16:47
    7leads
    like I said, do your thing...puke when you grow up...YUCK !!
  • 7leads 2012/04/06 04:42:57
    7leads
    Gay marriage gives me a stomach ache...excuse me, I have to fart.......
  • Savanahh 7leads 2012/04/06 08:47:19
  • 7leads Savanahh 2012/04/06 08:55:14

2014/04/24 19:41:29