Russia's 'Anti-Gay Propoganda Law' Won't Be in Effect at the 2014 Olympics: Will Gay Athletes Be Safe in Russia?

Aly1234 2013/08/02 22:00:00
Related Topics: Olympics, Russia, Gay
Russia has been under a lot of fire lately for the recent passing of a law banning "gay propaganda" in the nation. The country as a whole is under pressure from neighboring Western countries to be more tolerant and accepting of the LGBT community. Another big question asked since the passing of this law is whether or not it will affect gay and lesbian athletes during the 2014 Olympics in Russia.

Igor Ananskikh, head of the Russian Duma Committee on physical training, sports and youth, said in a statement to Interfax news agency: “The Olympics is a major international event. Our task is to be as politically correct and tolerant as we can be. That’s why we made the decision not to raise this issue during the Games.”

Russia

So the law is essentially not in effect during these times. However, this contradicts statements made by Vitaly Mutko, Russian Sports Minister, who said: "No one is forbidding an athlete with non-traditional sexual orientation from coming to Sochi, but if he goes onto the street and starts propagandizing it, then of course he will be held accountable."

The first statement made by Ananskikh is more in line with what the International Olympic Committee said. The Committee said they "received assurances from the highest level of government in Russia that the legislation will not affect those attending or taking part in the Games.”

What do you think? Will Gay and Lesbian athletes attending Russia for the Olympics be in danger, or subject to arrest? Or will the government make sure they are protected?

• jeane Katy An... 2013/08/04 06:19:10
    jeane
    +1
    Many people around the world know that homosexuality is a perversion and will not accept it being crammed down their throats.

Again the government is not always indicative of the people. They are two separate entities. Our own country is case in point.
  • Katy An... jeane 2013/08/04 06:30:40
    Katy Anders
    +1
    Of course they are. We agree on that.

But Americans aren't going to put up with our government dictating our private lives or saying we can't talk about homosexuality.

American conservatives aren't even going to advocate that - regardless of what our government or the Russian government does.

We might be divided on the morality of homosexuality or the wisdom of gay marriage but I do not believe that anything more than a tiny sliver of Americans want this sort of heavy-handed intrusive government. It's got a very Russian feel to it.
  • jeane Katy An... 2013/08/04 06:32:55
    jeane
    +1
    To late we already have a heavy-handed, intrusive government.
  • Katy An... jeane 2013/08/04 06:34:59 (edited)
    Katy Anders
    +1
    We do. And I really oppose that...
    Are you supporting the heavy-handed intrusive approach by saying the government of the US should be more like Russia in dictating the private lives and speech of its citizens?
  • jeane Katy An... 2013/08/04 06:39:18
    jeane
    +1
    We are being spied on at every turn. That is what the Conservatives are screaming about each and every day - our DIMINISHING rights. Our so called governments owns our education, food supply, water supply and now our health providers. Gun ownership is under attack. Banking institutions are made to report on us. These are just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Life is actually changing pretty quickly here in America. I don't know about Russia - but I do know what is happening here and it ain't pretty!
  • Katy An... jeane 2013/08/04 06:43:27 (edited)
    Katy Anders
    +4
    I agree.

But on one hand, you state that you believe that the Russian government is doing the right thing by limiting free speech and dictating the private lives of its citizens and foreigners within its borders.

On the other hand, you say you are opposed to intrusiveness by the American government.

I don't get it.
  • jeane Katy An... 2013/08/04 16:39:41 (edited)
    jeane
    We limit porn and other perversions - why shouldn't they/we?

Every country enforces laws against detrimental and deviant moral behavior. You are mixing economic laws and morals laws together Katy. They are not the same.
  • Katy An... jeane 2013/08/04 23:11:42
    Katy Anders
    +3
    Wow, you are going MUCH farther into invasive government than I have ever heard an American go!

It sounds like you are saying that government ought to be in the business of enforcing biblical law and saving its citizens souls!

I would have to disagree. I think that I trust myself and not the government with my soul.
  • jeane Katy An... 2013/08/04 23:17:36 (edited)
    jeane
    No I understand that morality is legislated in ALL countries in the world. We just don't call it that. Why do you think we have laws against obscenities and nudity on the streets? Why aren't people copulating in public? These are all moral laws Katy.
  • Katy An... jeane 2013/08/04 23:25:13
    Katy Anders
    +1
    This isn't about obscenity or nudity.

But look, I get it. You think of government as God, that it should be HUGE and enforce your wishes upon the speech and private activities of its citizens.

I don't.

I'm not mad about your different opinion.

I just am not jealous of the intrusiveness of the Russian government.

No big deal.
  • jeane Katy An... 2013/08/04 23:27:09
    jeane
    No I don't think of God as government. Morality has been legislated by all governments since their inception. Just the facts ma'am. The Russian government has every right to make such a declaration - one that is supported by the beliefs of its citizens and its traditional laws.
  • Katy An... jeane 2013/08/04 23:31:04 (edited)
    Katy Anders
    +1
    Russia certainly has the right to do it, and they do.

I don't think that the US is worse off for not dictating more about the private lives of its citizens than it already does, though.

Look, we're talking in circles and there's no point.

Just say it: You want the people you don't like to be silenced. There's nothing wrong with admitting you don't favor free speech.

It's called, "Free speech for me, but not for thee."
  • jeane Katy An... 2013/08/04 23:36:21 (edited)
    jeane
    +1
    I just did say it. You are calling perverse behavior free speech and I am not. Libs are all for free speech as long as others agree with them. LIBERAL FREE SPEECH
  • Katy An... jeane 2013/08/04 23:42:02
    Katy Anders
    +1
    There are a lot of things I disagree with in this short comment. The first is that your meme once again resorts to the sort of condescending bs that I had believed you'd agreed to restrain yourself from engaging in. It was a condition of my talking to you further last night, if you recall.

Secondly, I'm not a liberal and I agree with you that liberals are no better than conservatives when it comes to wanting to stifle speech they don't agree with.

Lastly, your meme makes me think that perhaps you don't understand what the topic of this thread is.

I will await your apology for going back to condescending bs before proceeding.
  • jeane Katy An... 2013/08/05 01:21:50 (edited)
    jeane
    It isn't my meme my dear - it is God's law. If you do not like you it you have to take it up with HIM.

Romans 1:26-27
    New International Version (NIV)
    26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

GOD SPEED
  • Katy An... jeane 2013/08/05 03:02:17
    Katy Anders
    +1
    It is your belief that a picture of a hippie chick with the phrase, "Supports Freedom of Speech / Doesn't want opposing view to be taught/expressed" is God's law?

Interesting take on Christianity.
  • jeane Katy An... 2013/08/05 03:05:09 (edited)
    jeane
    +1
    No that is YOUR interpretation. If you don't understand anything I write please just ask me. Most liberals call anyone who opposes their point of view many vulgar names in order to SHUT THEM DOWN. My retort is that - only your view is valid? It has nothing to do with Christianity nor did I say that it did. Why did YOU say that it did?
  • Katy An... jeane 2013/08/05 03:10:09
    Katy Anders
    +1
    That's not my interpretation. Your posted that picture.
  • jeane Katy An... 2013/08/05 03:17:33
    jeane
    +1
    The picture had nothing to do with Christianity - that was YOUR assertion.
  • Katy An... jeane 2013/08/05 03:19:13 (edited)
    Katy Anders
    +1
    I said the meme (which is what the picture is called) was condescending and you said this:

"It isn't my meme my dear - it is God's law."

That is a quote. You said the meme was God's law.
  • jeane Katy An... 2013/08/05 03:21:51
    jeane
    I replied that God's laws was this

Romans 1:26-27
    New International Version (NIV)

Certainly not a picture Katy - even you must be aware of that. Why would I say God's law was a picture? How old are you?
  • Katy An... jeane 2013/08/05 03:24:28
    Katy Anders
    +1
    I was wondering the same thing about why you said it, but you clearly said it.

How is my age relevant to this conversation?

What is your IQ? (since that appears to be VERY much at issue in this conversation)
  • Catherine Katy An... 2013/08/05 16:06:19
    Catherine
    And you call others insulting!?!
  • Katy An... Catherine 2013/08/05 16:36:58
    Katy Anders
    +1
    You ok?
  • Katy An... jeane 2013/08/05 03:10:44
    Katy Anders
    +1
    And I again will point out that I am not a liberal and I am a Christian.
  • jeane Katy An... 2013/08/05 03:19:16
    jeane
    You are free to call yourself anything you like. Hopefully you keep God's commandments.

John 14:15
    New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    15 “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
  • Katy An... jeane 2013/08/05 03:21:56 (edited)
    Katy Anders
    +1
    Look, you think a meme showing a hippie chick is God's law. The day I take advice on Christianity from you is the day I give up on my faith.
  • jeane Katy An... 2013/08/05 03:22:52
    jeane
    Okay little girl go take a nap. Nowhere have I ever stated that God's law was a picture. We are done here little girl.
  • Catherine Katy An... 2013/08/05 16:07:39
    Catherine
    You say you are Christian. Your comments do not indicate that. Rethink your use of English.
  • Katy An... Catherine 2013/08/05 16:37:34
    Katy Anders
    +1
    Did I misuse English somewhere?
  • Katy An... jeane 2013/08/05 03:11:12
    Katy Anders
    +1
    Finally, YOU are the one who said your meme picture was God's law, not me.
  • jeane Katy An... 2013/08/05 03:18:22
    jeane
    Show me where I said my picture was God's law!! It isn't in the bible anywhere that I know of. IF if is SHOW ME KATY!!!
  • Katy An... jeane 2013/08/05 03:20:07 (edited)
    Katy Anders
    +1

• jeane Katy An... 2013/08/05 03:23:24
    jeane
    How childish. This is God's law as I have shown you time and again.

Romans 1:26-27
    New International Version (NIV)
  • Katy An... jeane 2013/08/05 03:26:11 (edited)
    Katy Anders
    +1
    I told you last night that if you could not restrain yourself from being a condescending jerk, I didn't want to talk to you.

You assured me you could manage that and have failed miserably.

You owe me an apology.
  • kthulhu Katy An... 2013/08/05 15:37:50
    kthulhu
    +1
    She's clearly delusional. I don't think you'll get anywhere with her. I just wish we could kick her out of the country.
  • Katy An... kthulhu 2013/08/05 15:40:47
    Katy Anders
    +1
    I always hold out hope that i can find common ground with people.

Sometimes I can't!
  • kthulhu Katy An... 2013/08/05 15:48:32
    kthulhu
    +4
    Same here. There are some people that are so set in their beliefs that they can't possibly see someone else's point of view. I just don't understand how people can twist Christian morals so much. I'm no longer a Christian, but a lot of the teachings were about love, respect, tolerance etc. How does that translate to oppressing gay people?
  • Catherine kthulhu 2013/08/05 16:09:04
    Catherine
    You and Katy are the ones who need to start packing-
  • Katy An... Catherine 2013/08/05 16:38:04
    Katy Anders
    +1
    Why would I go anywhere else?

2014/10/20 23:01:38