Rush Limbaugh and Free Speech For it or Against It

The Patriot RP 2012 2012/03/13 15:19:59
I support Free Speech and Rush
I support Rush's right to Free Speech but not Rush
I am for Limited Free Speech and I do not Support Rush
Speech needs to be Controlled especially Talk Radio
First off, I do not support Limbaugh's choice of words nor do I support Maher's choice of Words, but I do support their right to say them. It seems many people here and off Sodahead would like people's right to speech and expression to be limited further to the point of Government Control in all aspects of speech, we all know you can't yell fire in a crowded theater but is that the same as someone calling you a slut or Cunt or faggot, retard or any other names you do not agree with.

Jane Fonda, Gloria Steinem Call For FCC to Ban Rush Limbaugh

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/03/13/jane-fonda-gloria-s...

Should the Government go even further and start passing laws as to which word, phrase, sentence. whatever that you can and cannot use? What would you do as a citizen if the police came to your door with an arrest warrant for using words such as those I mentioned and hauled you off to jail and then prison or a hefty fine, would you revolt? I know I would, I would never ever want to live, where I could not express myself as I see fit, but there are some here who would throw your carcass in jail for using those words and the strange thing about all this, the Media seems to have a hand in wanting to control speech, the very people who need these Freedoms are often the ones who want it controlled.

• NoName 2012/07/05 15:11:53
  • john brenni 2012/03/14 19:13:18
  • john br... john br... 2012/03/16 16:09:33
  • RicardoCabeza 2012/03/13 22:58:58
    RicardoCabeza
    +1
    But I still listen to him almost daily and think he need some new commercials so I can buy stuff from them...
  • Piper 2012/03/13 22:53:59
    Piper
    +1
    I won't be joining any campaign to get Limbaugh fired, and certainly not to involve the FCC. Some of his 3 day rant could be ruled as libel though, if Ms Fluke chose to pursue that.
  • WankerBait 2012/03/13 19:01:28
    WankerBait
    +1
    Free Speech is a constitutional guarantee we all must stand up for and support. There are laws intended to curtail slander, hate, libel, etc. ... If Limpballs crossed the legal line let's hope he gets prosecuted. The "free market" of advertising appears to be taking the necessary corrective action for now. IMO we could do with a bit less of his kind of vitriol.
  • Tea in the Harbor 2012/03/13 18:52:16
    Tea in the Harbor
    +1
    I'm all for free speech, but I'm not for responsibility free speech.

Rush said what he said and the people objecting have as much right to respond as he did to say it. It isn't the FCC's business to take sides, the free market is crushing Rush for what he said, and that's the right way to go about it. Not only have all of his advertisers left him, the organizations behind the free PSA's that have replaced the profitable portion of his support are asking that they not be associated with his show either.

Rush makes his money from advertising, and that's a product he can no longer even give away.

Rule #1 in capitalism is that if people aren't buying what you're selling, you fail.
  • Bella 2012/03/13 18:52:10
    Bella
    Free speech comes with consequences because not every one agrees on everything so there will always others exercising their free speech
  • Steve 2012/03/13 18:46:03
    Steve
    +1
    How else will I know if someone's ignorant or not?
  • Tennessean 2012/03/13 18:41:53
    I support Free Speech and Rush
    Tennessean
    We are all guaranteed the right to free speech.
  • shenendoah 2012/03/13 17:38:29
    I support Free Speech and Rush
    shenendoah
    +2
    Doggone right I support free speech and Rush Limbaugh. I abhor fonda but support her right to talk out of the seat of her leotards. Stifle lame brained liberals and you also stifle folks that have actually have something intelligent to say.
  • Richard Hungwell AKA Relent... 2012/03/13 17:22:26
    Richard Hungwell AKA Relentless
    +1
    Rush is a moron, but not as much of one as the guy that voted "Speech needs to be Controlled especially Talk Radio"
  • bob 2012/03/13 16:48:30
    bob
    Free speach does not include hate speach
  • MichaelJ bob 2012/03/13 17:08:20
    MichaelJ
    +1
    bob, surely you gest? Free speech absolutely protects what is called hate speech. You see the reason for that is that if you don't protect free speech, who determines what constitutes 'hate' speech? Would it be ok with you if I could determine what YOU could say because it's hate speech to me? Of course not. That is why we have the FREEDOM of speech, even when we may not agree with it.
  • whitewulf--the unruly mobster 2012/03/13 16:38:39
  • Harry 2012/03/13 16:36:42
    I support Free Speech and Rush
    Harry
    +4
    If the left were not so full of laughable hypocrisy, I might be more sympathetic to their calls for civility. Their goal, pure and simple: shut down anyone who is effective at getting his conservative, commonsensical views heard. And who is more effective than Rush?
  • Diane Spraggs Yates 2012/03/13 16:36:40
    I support Free Speech and Rush
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    +3
    Freedom of speech keeps USA free curtail one freedom then the others will disappear !!!!
  • cindy 2012/03/13 16:31:33
    I support Free Speech and Rush
    cindy
    +4
    The Democrats are Hypocrites !
  • Sherri 2012/03/13 16:14:32
    Sherri
    +4
    I don't have to agree with what a person has to say but I do believe in their right to say it.
  • BrianD3 2012/03/13 16:06:34
    I support Free Speech and Rush
    BrianD3
    +5
    She needs to grow a pair and stop whinning
  • dispatcher 2012/03/13 16:04:59
    I support Free Speech and Rush
    dispatcher
    +4
    If the left wing nut cases can be obnoxous & rude without being scrutinized then why in the hell is Rush getting slammed. Double standards are just the begining, the left liberal scum bags that control the media will tear into the Republican conservatives every chance they get once someone says anything negative & covers up anything or ignores anything that is said from the other side. We can all agree that someone in OUR HOUSE is behind all of this.
  • Bozette 2012/03/13 15:53:01
    Bozette
    +2
    I don't condone what he said, or any of the others who have done so, but they have the right to say whatever they damn well please. Do people really want to give up the right to free speech?
  • RubenRibnik 2012/03/13 15:45:28
    I support Free Speech and Rush
    RubenRibnik
    +4
    Rush, like any and all Dems, have the right to say as they please. To try to punish one side but not the other is totally wrong and unacceptable. He said nothing the other side has not said a few times towards the GOP, Maher makes money saying his garbage, Ed Schults also gets raves on his side, and then they all condem Rush. I am not a Rush fan, never have been, but I will support him in this a first admandment issue.
  • Rebel Yell 2012/03/13 15:42:31
    Rebel Yell
    +2
    Maher is on HBO. Anyone who doesn't approve of him, yank your subscription. Rush is on public radio. Big difference. If Rush wants to encourage a specific young womnan to make a sex tape for his enjoyment, he needs to go to Sirius.

Jane and Gloria can make all the demands they want. Anyone who disgrees, get in touch with them .
  • Jo Rebel Yell 2012/03/13 16:29:25
  • The Pat... Jo 2012/03/13 17:31:20
  • whitewu... Rebel Yell 2012/03/13 16:40:30
  • Dale whitewu... 2012/03/14 22:12:45
    Dale
    But douche bags do have use and function, right?
  • Richard... Rebel Yell 2012/03/13 17:20:42
    Richard Hungwell AKA Relentless
    +1
    Dont like rush? Change the channel! There is no difference between public radio and sirius. If you don't want to here either one you dont have to!
  • Rebel Yell Richard... 2012/03/13 17:30:29
    Rebel Yell
    No difference?? LOL ! I hope you are comfy under that rock.
  • Richard... Rebel Yell 2012/03/13 17:38:54
    Richard Hungwell AKA Relentless
    +2
    What? You cant figure out how to turn off your radio? [...]
  • The Pat... Rebel Yell 2012/03/13 17:29:25
    The Patriot RP 2012
    +1
    I will keep that in mind, as you walk out of your home with handcuffs on because you want Government to control speech.

arrested for free speech
  • Rebel Yell The Pat... 2012/03/13 17:45:54
    Rebel Yell
    Yes, you are a Ron Paul supporter alright.
  • Kaimeso 2012/03/13 15:40:46
    Kaimeso
    +1
    You do realize that nothing in the Constitution says anyone has to listen,.. So many people scream about free speech (like the religionist), but what they really mean is they want the means to force it their views on people.

For Rush, screaming "FIRE" in a crowded place is not covered under freedom of speech and what he does is bound to have some repercussions,.. Fonda and Steinem have the same freedom of speech, they can ask, even demand Rush be censored but that doesn't make is so.

Free speech is like the old question, "If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear, does it make any noise?"
  • Maci 2012/03/13 15:36:57
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/03/13 15:30:29
    I support Free Speech and Rush
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +4
    In the ultimate liberal Utopian world, who would decide what a person could and could not say?
  • Defend ... CUDDLY ... 2012/03/13 16:24:57
    Defend Western Civlization
    +1
    very well said
  • Dale 2012/03/13 15:27:27
    Dale
    +5
    The loss of free speech would/will be second only to the loss of right to possess arms. And it seems that the people that are back on their collective haunches about Rush are the ones that want to squash free speech for some and take away the weapons of all.
  • Bozette Dale 2012/03/13 15:54:44

2014/08/21 08:19:49