Ron Paul: what will he be able to do at the convention?

Temlakos~POTL~PWCM~JLA~☆ 2012/04/16 17:49:43
The New York Times shows Mitt Romney leading with over 600 delegates, and Ron Paul with only 52. But:

Over the weekend, reports came in from Examiner.com (Wilmington, DE and their National
edition). They showed Ron Paul winning delegates in Missouri, Colorado
and Minnesota that everyone thought would go to Romney or Santorum.
Santorum then quit the race last week, and never said how he expected
“his” delegates to vote. The two Examiners seemed to think that many of
them would vote for Ron Paul and not for Mitt Romney. In any
event, Ron Paul knew that caucuses would select delegates, because
primaries were non-binding. Not only are those primaries non-binding;
they have no influence on what caucuses do.

The Colorado results are most interesting. Caucuses chose 36
delegates. Sources did not seem to agree on how they would vote. But
those who investigated the matter closely, realized what had happened. RealClearPolitics, for instance, says
that Mitt Romney had the most delegates. In fact, he “won” 13
delegates, against 6 for Santorum. The caucuses chose 17 others who did not pledge their votes. But where do their loyalties lie? Tom Mullen at The Washington Times thinks he knows. Todd King of Lewis, CO, one of those “unpledged” delegates, told Mr. Mullen this:

13 unpledged delegates, including me, will vote for Ron
Paul on the first ballot. One unpledged delegate will vote for Santorum.
The remaining three unpledged delegates, also known as the ‘delegates
at large,’ are the state GOP Chairman, the state GOP National
Committeeman and the National Committeewoman. Those three will likely
vote for Romney. They usually vote for the frontrunner so as not to make
waves.

So Ron Paul can count on as many delegate votes as Mitt Romney can,
or almost as many, depending on how the super-delegates vote.

Missouri Republicans changed their caucus rules,
under pressure from many who felt that the Republican “establishment”
wanted them to shut-up and let them do things their way. Ron Paul hopes
to “dominate” in Missouri when Republican voters there meet in caucus
this Saturday and in June.

The Ron Paul campaign flatly disputes the AP/New York Times delegate tally. In March they showed the true delegate strength as:

• Mitt Romney: 425
  • Rick Santorum: 361
  • Ron Paul: 225
  • Newt Gingrich: 165

One commenter on that page explained how Ron Paul’s supporters get delegates:

This isn’t for sissies. You have to go to the meetings,
meet people and tell them your name so they’ll remember you when it
comes time to vote in delegates, etc. And frankly, it’s boring. I
listened to a long speech tonight and there were a million other things I
would’ve rather been doing (like reading on here or griping with my RP
friends on Facebook).

If those who support the other three candidates are less willing to
listen to “boring…long speech[es]” and forgo their “million other things
[they'd] rather [do],” then of course they’re losing delegates. They
leave the field to Ron Paul.

Read More: http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com/2012/04/16...

• Theresa 2012/04/16 18:32:09
    Win the nomination
    Theresa
    +18
    Ron Paul could be the only Nominee without the scent of scandal. That I think will be very important to the delegates.

• KCurtis doc moto 2012/04/17 02:40:04
    KCurtis
    +2
    Yea what can I say... reality. smo
  • doc moto KCurtis 2012/04/17 02:42:55
    doc moto
    +1
    I scared now! All my daughters are crack-shots! And with pistols, with a rifle, all is over!
  • KCurtis doc moto 2012/04/17 02:57:31
    KCurtis
    +2
    See that fly on that tree stump 100 yards out?
    fly on a tree stump
  • doc moto KCurtis 2012/04/17 02:59:23 (edited)
    doc moto
    +2
    What fly, I see a funny looking bird with red eyes and hairy legs, more then a pair too!
  • LAAD Gu... KCurtis 2012/04/17 00:48:11
    LAAD Gunner - USMC
    +4
    KC that is far from what Ron Paul is doing. Fact is Ron Paul and his loyal supporters, are the people in America most adamantly trying to KEEP America from destruction. All Mitt Romney is, is the GOP version of Obama. He is the MSM spoon fed GOP puppet. If Romney is elected he will ensure more of the same. He isn't even a conservative! If you want America to survive, Ron Paul is the only candidate giving us a chance.
  • KCurtis LAAD Gu... 2012/04/17 00:51:30
    KCurtis
    +5
    No he isn't Conservative, he's a moderate and I am a realist. He is the most conservative candidate who can win. Beleive me I will support a Libertarian Candidate that can win in 2016. The reality is in 2012 if we don't win over Obama, we will have lost the chance for another free election. Read the history of Hugo Chavez and tell me how will we survive that a free nation? It's just reality. Sometimes politics involves a long term strategy that reqiures concession to get to where we need to be. This is one of those times.
  • Temlako... KCurtis 2012/04/17 01:47:14
    +2
    Have a look at his OnTheIssues plot. He's a Libertarian. His scores place hm well outside the Mushy Middle of the lozenge-shaped ideology grid.
  • KCurtis Temlako... 2012/04/17 01:54:27
    KCurtis
    +1
    Except for one big f'ing deal... he can't win.
  • LAAD Gu... KCurtis 2012/04/17 02:08:17
    LAAD Gunner - USMC
    +4
    Explain to me how we win if we elect another Obama? Romney is no moderate, he is a progressive. He and Obama line up on MANY issues. Not to mention...I hope you realize this but without Ron Paul the GOP will lose. Ron Paul supporters will not abandon him whether he is the nominee or not. And without our votes, the GOP will lose. And the reason for that is because Ron Paul supporters will not settle for the lesser of two evils. We will not waste our vote on someone we do not believe in. Romney is the GOP's version of Obama and the MSM puppet.

This is one of those times....yes it IS one of those times...that we CANNOT afford to elect another status quo, puppet politician.
  • KCurtis LAAD Gu... 2012/04/17 02:28:13
    KCurtis
    +3
    Treyman the GOP is not going to take Paul. They already did the demographics and they know he can't win. Romney is not a liberal, he is not progressive. He is a middle of the road typical party boy who will attract the independents who are not in favor of the libertarian anarchism RP represents. Sometimes realism requires the opposite of the paradigm.
    Ron Paul supporters will abandon him once they realize there is only going to be 2 choices. The Devil or the nearly devil or non-angel whichever you prefer.

The only wasted vote will be the one for Obama which will be one in the same if you do something stupid like stack the deck or a third party ticket. Then my young friend, the blood will be on your hands. We'll have a whole 4 more years reprieve to find a viable president. Lose that however, your pretty much screwed.

demotivator miss that and you are screwed
  • LAAD Gu... KCurtis 2012/04/17 02:37:47
  • Che Gue... LAAD Gu... 2012/04/17 11:05:18
  • Arizona... KCurtis 2012/04/17 00:53:30
    Arizona1950
    +5
    I think you are talking about the GOP ... RP is definitely not the loser ... but America will be if he isn't sitting in the WH next year.
  • KCurtis Arizona... 2012/04/17 00:57:14
    KCurtis
    +4
    AZ if Ron Paul is sitting in the White House next year, I'll pay for your house. You heard it hear.
  • Arizona... KCurtis 2012/04/17 01:00:25
    Arizona1950
    +3
    No need ... just be glad I didn't listen to you. :-)
  • KCurtis Arizona... 2012/04/17 01:44:35
    KCurtis
    +2
    I'd love to see him as Treasury Secretary though.
  • Arizona... KCurtis 2012/04/17 02:09:05
    Arizona1950
    +2
    Won't do any good unless there's someone in the white house that actually wants to do something about spending and fiscal responsiblity.
  • Alex Arizona... 2012/04/17 02:57:55
    Alex
    +1
    Unless he becomes a dictator, he won't be able to get half of the things he wants.
  • Arizona... Alex 2012/04/17 12:34:37 (edited)
    Arizona1950
    +1
    I doubt it, but I bet you think supporting the Constitution is being a dictator so any direction he takes in this regard will be foreign to you and reason for concern. I may be wrong but the first thing that comes to mind is dumbed down much ...

This is a dictator ... and an example of the communist sheeple in this country.

• Alex Arizona... 2012/04/18 02:09:57
    Alex
    "End the Fed"? Cut $1 trillion from the budget? Close down 5 federal government departments? That's all through Congress AZ. If he truly supports the Constitution, then his hands will be tied. Not that I like that prospect, but it's just the truth.
  • Arizona... Alex 2012/04/18 02:12:10
    Arizona1950
    +1
    LOL ... nope. If Congress acted unconstitutionally, which it did, their efforts can be rendered null and void

Do not separate text from historical background. If you do, you will have perverted and subverted the Constitution, which can only end in a distorted, bastardized form of illegitimate government.
    ~ James Madison

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force"
    ~ Thomas Jefferson
  • Alex Arizona... 2012/04/18 03:04:21 (edited)
    Alex
    Lol, it's your judgment that the Department of Education is unconstitutional versus everyone else's. Those are fine lines that are being treaded, since the Constitution doesn't prohibit the establishment of such a federal department. If RP ever gets that far, which is a really big IF, then he'll learn that for himself.
  • Temlako... Alex 2012/04/18 13:08:12
    Oh, yes, it does.

The Constitution grants specific powers to the Congress.

Then it says that any power that the federal government does not have, the States and the people keep for themselves. Amendment X. Look it up.
  • Alex Temlako... 2012/04/19 03:00:50
    Alex
    Amendment X of the US Constitution:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

The people elect representatives to create laws and institutions that manage our country's infrastructure. The Department of Education is one of them, among others. Again, I'm not saying that I like the DOE, but because the language is so vague and can be interpreted in a number of ways, this is just one instance of one opinion verses another.
  • Temlako... Arizona... 2012/04/18 13:06:56
    +1
    He would still need a sympathetic Senate to put at least one more voice on the Supreme Court: Judge Andrew Napolitano.

Then you encourage one aggrieved patriot after another to say, "I refuse to obey your regulations because they are unconstitutional!" Then come the arrests, and the counterclaims, and thus the controversies that percolate to the Supreme Court.

That would take a lot of time. Better to get a sympathetic House as well as a Senate, and then pass a CJR deeming these prior acts null and void.

While they're at it, they should investigate the Obama eligibility question, with a view to passing another CJR deeming all of Obama's acts null and void.

In the meantime, issue an EO declaring all prior EOs null and void. (Or at least those regarding activities other than those of the departments that the Constitution authorizes.)
  • Arizona... Temlako... 2012/04/19 01:05:50
    Arizona1950
    +1
    Anywhere would be a good place to start but getting the leader, the driver of taking our country back is what needed at the top.
  • Temlako... KCurtis 2012/04/17 01:48:12
    +4
    You might be in better shape to do just that!

I'll probably run to take some refresher courses in medicine, and prepare to run off to join the Machal Medical Corps in Israel.
  • Arizona... Temlako... 2012/04/17 02:29:03
  • talli KCurtis 2012/04/17 14:49:40
    talli
    +1
    He amuses me, and I think he serves a useful purpose. In the same way that Rick Santorum represented a large segment of the Republican voter base, Ron Paul is a voice for another, overlooked segment of the same group. I don't want it to be easy for Romney. If it was, he, and the powers that be, in the RNC would run roughshod over people like me who don't think Romney is conservative enough. As long, as Ron Paul doesn't run on a third party ticket, I'm cheering for his message to be heard. (except his foreign policy ideas!) I wish we had another Reagan out there ready to ride in on a big white horse, but it looks as if we will get Romney. I will be a lot more fired up if he picks his running mate well!
  • KCurtis talli 2012/04/17 23:34:13
    KCurtis
    +1
    True, enjoy.
  • Striker KCurtis 2012/04/19 20:48:30
    Striker
    +1
    If the RINO's complete their agenda and not nominate Ron Paul, they'll be running a nobody and that's a vote for Obama. You shall see.
  • KCurtis Striker 2012/04/19 22:39:18
    KCurtis
    +1
    Right now Romney is beating Obummer by 6 points.
  • Striker KCurtis 2012/04/19 22:43:22
    Striker
    +1
    Depends on who you ask. You cannot really believe that Romney will be any better!
  • KCurtis Striker 2012/04/19 22:45:14
    KCurtis
    +1
    You will be given another opportunity to vote under Romney, no so with Obummer. It won't matter with Paul.
  • Striker KCurtis 2012/04/19 22:48:41
    Striker
    +1
    maybe so, right after the collapse.
  • The Patriot RP 2012 2012/04/16 23:50:27
    Win the nomination
    The Patriot RP 2012
    +11
    I am a National Delegate for Ron Paul.

Delegate for Ron Paul
  • LAAD Gu... The Pat... 2012/04/17 00:31:10
    LAAD Gunner - USMC
    +4
    Awesome! :)

On a side note- Uncle Sam sure as hell doesn't want us to lol.
  • The Pat... LAAD Gu... 2012/04/17 00:41:02
    The Patriot RP 2012
    +5
    We also ousted a Republican Party Status quo Leader from our area in the most democratic way possible, he was voted out, he received 0% of the vote.
  • LAAD Gu... The Pat... 2012/04/17 02:10:40
    LAAD Gunner - USMC
    +5
    That's awesome!!!
  • doc moto The Pat... 2012/04/17 00:36:27
    doc moto
    +5
    Proof positive!

2014/12/18 14:26:42