Ron Paul: what will he be able to do at the convention?

Temlakos~POTL~PWCM~JLA~☆ 2012/04/16 17:49:43
The New York Times shows Mitt Romney leading with over 600 delegates, and Ron Paul with only 52. But:

Over the weekend, reports came in from Examiner.com (Wilmington, DE and their National
edition). They showed Ron Paul winning delegates in Missouri, Colorado
and Minnesota that everyone thought would go to Romney or Santorum.
Santorum then quit the race last week, and never said how he expected
“his” delegates to vote. The two Examiners seemed to think that many of
them would vote for Ron Paul and not for Mitt Romney. In any
event, Ron Paul knew that caucuses would select delegates, because
primaries were non-binding. Not only are those primaries non-binding;
they have no influence on what caucuses do.

The Colorado results are most interesting. Caucuses chose 36
delegates. Sources did not seem to agree on how they would vote. But
those who investigated the matter closely, realized what had happened. RealClearPolitics, for instance, says
that Mitt Romney had the most delegates. In fact, he “won” 13
delegates, against 6 for Santorum. The caucuses chose 17 others who did not pledge their votes. But where do their loyalties lie? Tom Mullen at The Washington Times thinks he knows. Todd King of Lewis, CO, one of those “unpledged” delegates, told Mr. Mullen this:

13 unpledged delegates, including me, will vote for Ron
Paul on the first ballot. One unpledged delegate will vote for Santorum.
The remaining three unpledged delegates, also known as the ‘delegates
at large,’ are the state GOP Chairman, the state GOP National
Committeeman and the National Committeewoman. Those three will likely
vote for Romney. They usually vote for the frontrunner so as not to make
waves.

So Ron Paul can count on as many delegate votes as Mitt Romney can,
or almost as many, depending on how the super-delegates vote.

Missouri Republicans changed their caucus rules,
under pressure from many who felt that the Republican “establishment”
wanted them to shut-up and let them do things their way. Ron Paul hopes
to “dominate” in Missouri when Republican voters there meet in caucus
this Saturday and in June.

The Ron Paul campaign flatly disputes the AP/New York Times delegate tally. In March they showed the true delegate strength as:

• Mitt Romney: 425
  • Rick Santorum: 361
  • Ron Paul: 225
  • Newt Gingrich: 165

One commenter on that page explained how Ron Paul’s supporters get delegates:

This isn’t for sissies. You have to go to the meetings,
meet people and tell them your name so they’ll remember you when it
comes time to vote in delegates, etc. And frankly, it’s boring. I
listened to a long speech tonight and there were a million other things I
would’ve rather been doing (like reading on here or griping with my RP
friends on Facebook).

If those who support the other three candidates are less willing to
listen to “boring…long speech[es]” and forgo their “million other things
[they'd] rather [do],” then of course they’re losing delegates. They
leave the field to Ron Paul.

Read More: http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com/2012/04/16...

• Theresa 2012/04/16 18:32:09
    Win the nomination
    Theresa
    +18
    Ron Paul could be the only Nominee without the scent of scandal. That I think will be very important to the delegates.

• Che Gue... STU~PWC... 2012/04/17 07:35:36
    Che Guevara - Hero
    "Paul Looks Like The Underdog" ? lol

The Understatement Of The Year.
  • STU~PWC... Che Gue... 2012/04/18 01:05:10
    STU~PWCM~JLA~POTL~AFCL
    +1
    See my reply to Arizona. Paul is doing alot better than you think, in terms of popular vote. The problem is that delegates are getting stolen from him.
  • LAAD Gunner - USMC 2012/04/17 02:21:04
    Win the nomination
    LAAD Gunner - USMC
    +9
    I hope and pray for our nation that he does.
  • Che Gue... LAAD Gu... 2012/04/17 07:36:25 (edited)
    Che Guevara - Hero
    LMFAO
    hope poop
  • john Kills 2012/04/17 02:17:41
    Win the nomination
    john Kills
    +10
    Ron Paul 2012. For those who won't let the media tell them how to vote.
  • Che Gue... john Kills 2012/04/17 11:01:16
  • john Kills Che Gue... 2012/04/17 12:13:10
    john Kills
    +3
    I got 7 raves already. It's pretty clear that Americans want Ron Paul and the establishment is against him. If Ron makes you unhappy then that's great, you obviously don't know what America is supposed to be. Next time you post to me, try to have something of substance to say. Copy and post is for the weak minded.
  • Che Gue... john Kills 2012/04/17 12:26:00
    Che Guevara - Hero
    Ron Paul voted AGAINST the MLK Holiday.

Really ? If America wanted Ron Paul he wouldn't be in 4th place in a 3 man race for the Republican Nomination.

Ron Paul voted AGAINST awarding Rosa Parks the Congressional Medal of Freedom.

Ron Paul said he would have voted AGAINST the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Paul has a 30 year history of pandering to the KKK and White Power Movement.

You can make all the LAME excuses for White Supremacist Ron Paul you want. His actions speak louder than words

-FACT: Ron Paul's presidential campaign issued a flyer that boasted about the candidate's efforts to introduce legislation that would remove challenges to the anti-gay Defense of Marriage Act from the federal court system.
    http://www.joemygod.blogspot....

-FACT: Ron Paul's Iowa state director is Mike Heath, a long-term Christian-right activist who formerly served as the board chairman of an SPLC-certified anti-gay hate group known as "Americans for Truth About Homosexuality."
    http://thenewcivilrightsmovem...

-FACT: Ron Paul has a long history of racist, homophobic, and anti-Semitic comments.
    http://www.tnr.com/article/po...

-FACT: As state above, Ron Paul supports the so-called "states' rights" approach to marriage, but interestingly, only for LGBT couples.
    http://www.yourtango.com/2008...

-FACT: Ron Paul said, ...

Ron Paul voted AGAINST the MLK Holiday.

http://www.joemygod.blogspot....

http://thenewcivilrightsmovem...

http://www.tnr.com/article/po...

http://www.yourtango.com/2008...

-FACT: Ron Paul said, "If I were in Congress in 1996, I would have voted for the Defense of Marriage Act, which used Congress' constitutional authority to define what official state documents other states have to recognize under the Full Faith and Credit Clause, to ensure that no state would be forced to recognize a same-sex marriage license issued in another state."
    http://www.thepoliticalguide....

-FACT: Ron Paul opposes the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), which would prohibit discrimination against employees on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity by civilian, nonreligious employers.
    http://www.salon.com/2007/09/...
  • john Kills Che Gue... 2012/04/17 12:34:30
    john Kills
    +4
    Are you planning to make a point or babble all day. RON PAUL for PRISIDENT. 2012
  • Che Gue... john Kills 2012/04/17 15:08:32
    Che Guevara - Hero
    I think I'll continue to babble the TRUTH about Ron Paul ad nauseam.

The Civil Rights Act repealed the notorious Jim Crow laws; forced schools, bathrooms and buses to desegregate; and banned employment discrimination. Although Paul was not around to weigh in on the landmark legislation at the time, he had the chance to cast a symbolic vote against it in 2004, when the House of Representatives took up a resolution "recognizing and honoring the 40th anniversary of congressional passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964." Paul was the only member who voted "no."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't."
    Mark Twain
  • john Kills Che Gue... 2012/04/17 19:59:12
    john Kills
    +2
    Ron Paul doesn't see these issues as federal level and neither do I. They are states rights issues. Rn Paul is trying to get the federal government out of our lives and return the sovereignty of the states. You read hatred into his views because you want the federal government to control what people do and think instead of people doing and thinking for themselves or, you just can't understand what has happened to our country and our rights. Ron Paul is nobody's enemy unless you an enemy to the constitution.
  • Che Gue... john Kills 2012/04/17 22:17:05
    Che Guevara - Hero
    Ron Paul only supports right for White People. He openly admits it. That is why he will NEVER be elected.
  • mich52 2012/04/17 01:35:39
  • JERSEYDUDE 2012/04/17 01:29:08 (edited)
    Win the nomination
    JERSEYDUDE
  • lee 2012/04/17 01:16:31
    lee
    provide the "second" that the Newt will need to carry his motion for a brokered convention

that's all he needs to do.

let the chaos begin.
  • Che Gue... lee 2012/04/17 11:02:27
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    I would love to see the Republican candidates rip each other apart at the convention. lol
  • Arizona1950 2012/04/17 01:05:11
    Arizona1950
    +5
    I'm really not sure but won't be surprised because it's pretty clear that whatever he does it will be for our Consitution and our right to remain free men and women and not under a tryanny.
  • clyde 2012/04/17 00:55:41
    clyde
    +1
    Rally the same crowd to whom George McGovern appealed.
  • Temlako... clyde 2012/04/17 01:45:12
    +2
    Not so, if you look carefully enough. George McGovern had only one constant: regulation, regulation, and more regulation. He flip-flopped on his anti-war and drug-legalization messages. I remember the ads. "Last year, this year. The question is, what about next year?"
  • clyde Temlako... 2012/04/17 02:37:47
    clyde
    +2
    Oh. I thought you wanted to know what he was going to be able to do at the convention.
  • 2468 2012/04/17 00:42:24
    Win the nomination
    2468
    +8
    Ron Paul has been crafty about how he has gone about collecting delegates.

He may pull a magic rabbit out of the hat at the convention.
    That will really make some headlines if he can pull it off.
  • DM Twin 2012/04/17 00:42:01
    DM Twin
    Sit in a corner and sulk....that's it . He BETTER get on board with the Republican nominee and MAKE his IDIOT Paulinista jerks vote Republican...otherwise his meatheads will split the vote ala Ross Perot and Obutthole gets 4 more years...and we are doomed .
  • doc moto 2012/04/17 00:31:57
    doc moto
    +4
    He will go all out, or the pure strategy reflected would be as such, IF he is unsuccessful, I am sure there is another plan, if it is a third party... I hope there is all the makings of it going viral as if not then we have the Kenya President for 4 more warring years! Marshal law and all sorts of mess...
  • doc moto doc moto 2012/04/17 00:34:05
    doc moto
    +7
    I voted for Ron Paul as i believe he is the man and can with all the help here and with Heaven's help too, push this through... Heck, it has to be be pushed hard!
  • jr 2012/04/17 00:29:26
    Force the convention to adopt a platform more to his liking
    jr
    +7
    This will move the platform into more of a libertarian direction
  • doc moto jr 2012/04/17 00:34:54
    doc moto
    +5
    Good IDEA! Tell all to poop or get off the pot!
  • biggerman 2012/04/17 00:27:51
    biggerman
    +1
    Nothing! He is becoming more and more irrelevant.
  • LAAD Gu... biggerman 2012/04/17 00:43:28
    LAAD Gunner - USMC
    +4
    Irrelevant? I don't know what rock you're living under but he is far from irrelevant.
  • Che Gue... LAAD Gu... 2012/04/17 07:42:41
    Che Guevara - Hero
    Ron Paul is only relevant to White Supremacists and Homophobes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
    LMFAO
  • Force the convention to adopt a platform more to his liking
    ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    +8
    I wish the GOP would adopt some of his ideas!
  • doc moto ☆The Ro... 2012/04/17 00:35:27
    doc moto
    +7
    Like 90% of them!
  • Eddie_DOMA_is_dead 2012/04/17 00:25:56
  • KCurtis 2012/04/17 00:17:28
    KCurtis
    +4
    He's going to try to stack the delegates between here and Tampa. What do you call someone so stubborn they are willing to see the country fail, in order to win an election?
    The same as OBama.
  • doc moto KCurtis 2012/04/17 00:36:04
    doc moto
    +4
    Okay, that broke our engagement!
  • KCurtis doc moto 2012/04/17 00:40:36
    KCurtis
    +4
    LMAO "We in Truth" doc. Sorry RP can't win. It's a losing strategy. But there's always 2016.
  • doc moto KCurtis 2012/04/17 01:37:32
    doc moto
    +4
    Well, you are somewhat optimistic and I remain for the underdog; but he is an honest man and truthful one as well; I like him!
  • KCurtis doc moto 2012/04/17 01:43:15
    KCurtis
    +4
    I do too, but I think I'd prefer to see him as Treasury Secretary. Someday I'll share my dream team.
  • doc moto KCurtis 2012/04/17 02:02:51
    doc moto
    +2
    Okay, Madame President!
  • KCurtis doc moto 2012/04/17 02:13:33
    KCurtis
    +3
    LOLz I had a large group that wanted me to run for Congress in 2010. Maybe I'll consider it. My running mate will be Palin. Bolton for Secretary of Defense and Paul for Treasury. All Czars will be fired. The campaign slogan would be "Pussies, we don't have any."
  • doc moto KCurtis 2012/04/17 02:21:19
    doc moto
    +3
    Ah, all the PUSSIES are voting for Romney!

2014/07/24 23:08:22