Ron Paul: what will he be able to do at the convention?

Temlakos~POTL~PWCM~JLA~☆ 2012/04/16 17:49:43
The New York Times shows Mitt Romney leading with over 600 delegates, and Ron Paul with only 52. But:

Over the weekend, reports came in from Examiner.com (Wilmington, DE and their National
edition). They showed Ron Paul winning delegates in Missouri, Colorado
and Minnesota that everyone thought would go to Romney or Santorum.
Santorum then quit the race last week, and never said how he expected
“his” delegates to vote. The two Examiners seemed to think that many of
them would vote for Ron Paul and not for Mitt Romney. In any
event, Ron Paul knew that caucuses would select delegates, because
primaries were non-binding. Not only are those primaries non-binding;
they have no influence on what caucuses do.

The Colorado results are most interesting. Caucuses chose 36
delegates. Sources did not seem to agree on how they would vote. But
those who investigated the matter closely, realized what had happened. RealClearPolitics, for instance, says
that Mitt Romney had the most delegates. In fact, he “won” 13
delegates, against 6 for Santorum. The caucuses chose 17 others who did not pledge their votes. But where do their loyalties lie? Tom Mullen at The Washington Times thinks he knows. Todd King of Lewis, CO, one of those “unpledged” delegates, told Mr. Mullen this:

13 unpledged delegates, including me, will vote for Ron
Paul on the first ballot. One unpledged delegate will vote for Santorum.
The remaining three unpledged delegates, also known as the ‘delegates
at large,’ are the state GOP Chairman, the state GOP National
Committeeman and the National Committeewoman. Those three will likely
vote for Romney. They usually vote for the frontrunner so as not to make
waves.

So Ron Paul can count on as many delegate votes as Mitt Romney can,
or almost as many, depending on how the super-delegates vote.

Missouri Republicans changed their caucus rules,
under pressure from many who felt that the Republican “establishment”
wanted them to shut-up and let them do things their way. Ron Paul hopes
to “dominate” in Missouri when Republican voters there meet in caucus
this Saturday and in June.

The Ron Paul campaign flatly disputes the AP/New York Times delegate tally. In March they showed the true delegate strength as:

• Mitt Romney: 425
  • Rick Santorum: 361
  • Ron Paul: 225
  • Newt Gingrich: 165

One commenter on that page explained how Ron Paul’s supporters get delegates:

This isn’t for sissies. You have to go to the meetings,
meet people and tell them your name so they’ll remember you when it
comes time to vote in delegates, etc. And frankly, it’s boring. I
listened to a long speech tonight and there were a million other things I
would’ve rather been doing (like reading on here or griping with my RP
friends on Facebook).

If those who support the other three candidates are less willing to
listen to “boring…long speech[es]” and forgo their “million other things
[they'd] rather [do],” then of course they’re losing delegates. They
leave the field to Ron Paul.

Read More: http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com/2012/04/16...

• Theresa 2012/04/16 18:32:09
    Win the nomination
    Theresa
    +18
    Ron Paul could be the only Nominee without the scent of scandal. That I think will be very important to the delegates.

• Will Advocate of PHAET 2012/04/16 18:28:26
    Will Advocate of  PHAET
    +5
    They can always use and extra bartender.
  • Jackie ... Will Ad... 2012/04/16 18:31:15
  • William 2012/04/16 18:24:41
    Win the nomination
    William
    +13
    The NYT delegate tally is a guess based on state straw polls. Anyone who has been to a caucus knows that the straw poll is at best a distortion, at worst a contradiction. There are Ron Paul supporters who are confirmed delegates through the first vote for Santorum, Romney, Gingrich, Huntsman, Perry, Cain, Pawlenty and Bachmann who will be freed on the second vote if Romney doesn't obtain the 1144 delegates needed to secure the nomination. This is called a "brokered convention".

I can't see Paul accepting a cabinet position from a moderate flip-flopper.

I can't see Ron Paul supporters voting for more of the same crap. Thus, if Paul loses at the convention, the Republican Party hasn't a chance.
  • Katfish William 2012/04/16 20:38:08 (edited)
    Katfish
    +4
    Exactly the way I see it also.
  • 9th of 9 William 2012/04/16 23:35:19
    9th of 9
    +2
    and the republican establishment voters are stuck to far up Romney's butt to hear the words "You'll loose without the Ron Paul crowd."
  • William 9th of 9 2012/04/19 03:34:03
    William
    +1
    Freedom cannot be forever suppressed. Some day, we will tell how Fox News, and their establishment accomplices, deliberately and continually hid the truth in order to supress freedom. Choice is what they don't want the American people to have.
  • Red Branch 2012/04/16 18:22:58
    Secure a Cabinet nomination (which one?)
    Red Branch
    +2
    There are other positions open of near equal importance that would be just as good.
    I am not talking about czar positions that Obama created, but there are other advisor positions.
  • Always Right 2012/04/16 18:21:35
    Win the nomination
    Always Right
    +9
    Cain was my first choice, Santorum was my next choice. Ron Paul is my next choice. He believes in adhering to the US Constitution, wants to end the Federal Reserve System and he wasn't picked by the party elites! NO, RINOs, but Anybody Butt 0bama Anyone!
  • Uranos7 2012/04/16 18:18:57
    Uranos7
    +3
    He has a strong backking in the military so he would be a wise choice for Secretary of Defense.
    +5
    We need him in a high level position - he can force some of what he wants that way
  • Red_Horse 2012/04/16 18:09:04
  • William Red_Horse 2012/04/16 18:14:47
    William
    +10
    How is supporting policies that will destroy the dollar and sink the republic patriotic?
  • S and S William 2012/04/16 18:17:04
  • William S and S 2012/04/16 18:31:54
    William
    +7
    The Republican Party is not interested in the radical changes that would be necessary to save the nation. Since I cast my first vote for Ronald Reagan in 1980, I have seen Republican candidates talk like libertarians and conservatives and then execute their offices like liberals and socialists. At first, it made me depressed, but then I realized that it was by design.
  • S and S William 2012/04/16 18:34:42
  • William S and S 2012/04/16 18:38:00
    William
    +4
    Right. You misunderstood my post. Endorsing Romney--a candidate that WILL destroy the dollar, by continuing the Bush-Obama policies--is not something the RP would do.
  • S and S William 2012/04/16 18:46:48 (edited)
  • 9th of 9 William 2012/04/16 23:47:57
    9th of 9
    +1
    Same here, and I've been pissed ever since.
  • Latti I... William 2012/04/16 18:30:36
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +7
    I have to agree; endorsing Romney would show he follows the party line.
  • Red_Horse William 2012/04/16 18:38:11 (edited)
  • Latti I... Red_Horse 2012/04/16 18:49:43 (edited)
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +5
    Either one isn't, which is the point XD. It's like stating do you support slitting your throat or hanging oneself.
  • Red_Horse Latti I... 2012/04/16 19:27:48
  • Latti I... Red_Horse 2012/04/16 19:54:00 (edited)
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +6
    "Candidate C: (Romney) will take us back to the Bush years, most likely. Many will suffer. The economy won't get much better for awhile, but it will improve. And then we get to vote again."

"This is what happens when you let your country devolve from what was intended. As you have ignored the loss of your freedoms and given government more power for decades, now you must gradually take it back."

"Through hard work, vigilance, patience, and patriotism we can deal with the next few administrations and have perhaps ten or twenty years from now, the kind of lifestyle this country took for granted in the eighties."

That is if you can believe anything he says; sorry Red, but he reminds me so much of Obama. He looks good/presidential, has been flip flopping since he stepped into the public atmosphere. He called himself a moderate progressive and now he's a Conservative. He will be warmongering and so much more. So it's between hoping he will be decent enough to wait another four years, or the ship will really sink while he is in office. Same thing with Obama.

I'm baffled how so many people complain, yet when they get the opportunity they vote the same problematic individuals in. Not to mention 190 Republicans voted in favor of NDAA, and 93 Democrats as well. Congress has more power than ...

I'm baffled how so many people complain, yet when they get the opportunity they vote the same problematic individuals in. Not to mention 190 Republicans voted in favor of NDAA, and 93 Democrats as well. Congress has more power than the president; he's just the figurehead. So even if we did vote the right person into presidency, (which isn't Romney or Obama) we still will have an up hill battle with congress.
  • Red_Horse Latti I... 2012/04/16 21:40:19 (edited)
  • Latti I... Red_Horse 2012/04/16 21:52:07
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    "PS - I guess we'll all just have to vote the way we feel inspired to, and hope things work out for the best. - N"

Agreed lol; just one more point. We can't vote a long party lines, but the individual. As I pointed out, most of the House Republicans voted for NDAA. The overwhelming majority, which only 43 said Nay. The Democrats were split on it; 93 Aye and 93 Nay. I would give the 43 who voted Nay another chance and the 93 who voted Nay as well. The others could kick rocks, since they willingly gave more power to the executive branch and created the bill for Obama to sign.

Congress is losing power; the majority of them are creating horrid bills, for their puppet to sign.
  • Red_Horse Latti I... 2012/04/16 21:54:42
  • William Red_Horse 2012/04/16 18:58:31
    William
    +9
    Voting for the lesser of two evils will only encourage the continuation of evil.
  • Dan ☮ R... William 2012/04/16 19:16:11
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +9
    And the problem is only amplified when every 4 years we are presented with 2 progressively more evil choices.
  • William Dan ☮ R... 2012/04/16 19:19:30
    William
    +8
    Exactly!
  • Red_Horse Dan ☮ R... 2012/04/16 19:50:05 (edited)
  • Dan ☮ R... Red_Horse 2012/04/16 19:58:51
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +6
    He's probably just as evil as Obama,but more of a threat because he could easily pacify opposition to the more "liberal" agenda's like carbon taxes.

And its quite obvious that more often than not both choices presented to us for president are the wrong choices.
  • Red_Horse Dan ☮ R... 2012/04/16 21:45:48
  • Dan ☮ R... Red_Horse 2012/04/16 22:49:25
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +2
    If you dont believe Romney is evil, you'd have to do this
    hear no evil  see no evil
    And remain ignorant.

And Obama, he's bad, but he's just a puppet. A distraction to keep us from seeing the big picture - the raping of America over the past century. There are people more evil than him. They are the people that own him and Romney. Looking at their campaign contributors, one of the biggest owners is Goldman Sachs.
  • Red_Horse Dan ☮ R... 2012/04/16 23:00:11
  • Dan ☮ R... Red_Horse 2012/04/17 01:16:29
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    "Paul is not your savior."
    He is no savior, but he's the only one running who has any integrity or honesty.

Romney is just running around lying a bout his positions trying to pretend to be conservative.
    You are right that he is a pawn, but he's a pawn to the same interests as Obama. Once again, look at who goldman sachs donates to. They are a top donator to both.
    And guess who owns t he European Union now?
  • Red_Horse Dan ☮ R... 2012/04/17 02:52:17
  • Dan ☮ R... Red_Horse 2012/04/17 09:01:06
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    If you ignore the facts about your candidate, like the Obama supporters did, then you'll achieve the exact results they did.
  • Red_Horse William 2012/04/16 19:28:06
  • Dan ☮ R... Red_Horse 2012/04/16 19:45:49 (edited)
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +8
    Romney is no better than Obama/ He has a history of supporting the same agendas that Obama does, including gun control, carbon taxes and Obamacare. He even stated that he would have signed the NDAA (just like Obama) and has defended Obama's stances on detaining and even killing US citizens with no judge, no jury, no trial.

Romney will not take us back to the Bush years. He'll only continue down the path Obama is taking us.

Also, by definition a guide is a leader.
  • Red_Horse Dan ☮ R... 2012/04/16 19:49:13 (edited)

2014/11/26 20:27:52