Ron Paul advocates that social security is a welfare program, and a ponzi scheme, yet he receives social security checks. Is he a hypocrite?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/06/21 03:43:23

WASHINGTON – Ron Paul,
a staunch opponent of federal welfare programs, acknowledged Wednesday
that he receives Social Security checks, shortly after advocating that
younger generations opt out of the program.

Appearing on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” Paul was asked by Huffington Post’s Sam Stein
whether he should set an example for younger Americans and opt out of
the program entirely. Paul, refusing the notion, compared the program to
other common goods such as the post office.

“Just as I use the
post office, I use government highways, I use the banks, I use the
federal reserve system, but that doesn’t mean you can’t work to remove
this in the same way on Social Security,” the Texas congressman said.
“In the same way with Social Security, I am trying to make a transition.

“I want young people to opt out of Social Security, but my goal isn’t to cut,” Paul said moments before.

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-ron-pau...

• rdmatheny 2012/06/21 04:08:00
    rdmatheny
    +19
    NO, and I will make a comparison to prove otherwise.

Since the Social Security ACT has been enacted, it is mandated that every employee MUST pay into SS and there is NO legal way to opt out of SS. Those contributions that are mandated to be paid are YOUR funds and under the SS Act those funds are entitled to those eligible to collect at age of determined retirement.

When Congressman Paul first was elected, he was given the option to opt out of the Congressional Retirement Fund in which he did. This CRF is taxpayer funded and throughout his congressional career, Dr. Paul has voted against any legislation or programs that lay a burden on the taxpayers. Because of his decision to opt out, he will NOT collect a Congressional Retirement pension.

Dr. Paul has continuously proposed a plan where younger workers should have the option to opt out of Social Security and use that money to fund their own independent retirement plan. His proposal also would use the funds that are spent on illegal wars and foreign aid which total into the billions to be used instead to shore up SS and Medicare until a pragmatic plan can be in place to slowly phase out or reform those plans.

So in essence, to call Ron Paul hypocritical is a oxy-moron in the sense, SS is a program he was forced to pay into...

So in essence, to call Ron Paul hypocritical is a oxy-moron in the sense, SS is a program he was forced to pay into and he is only exercising his right to receive the benefits he is entitled to. He has stated if SS was a program when he first started in the work force gave him a option to opt out, he would have done it without question. That option was and still is not available.

• RobHom 2013/02/25 15:34:19
    RobHom
    He also gets a pension from Congress.... Him a hypocrite....hahahahahahahaha...
  • wildcat 2013/02/25 15:21:13
    wildcat
    Come on Man!!!!
    Ron Paul is a saint not a hypocrite. If you don't believe me just ask his disillusioned followers.
  • EddyGee53 2013/02/22 00:38:08
    EddyGee53
    +1
    He's also a millionaire who doesn't need Social Security for his retirement most of us have nothing else ! And let's not forget we have been paying into the system since we first started working and we didn't have a choice! Hardly Welfare!!!
  • Chris 2013/01/12 19:28:18
  • roxie 2012/12/12 18:56:41
    roxie
    Of coarse!
    Typical coarse typical
  • mikeeonly 2012/10/07 15:19:12
    mikeeonly
    he's old and confused
  • Dickens 2012/09/27 02:03:26
    Dickens
    DUH!
  • bob h. 2012/07/15 20:29:17
    bob h.
    +1
    A toasted hypocrite. Now he's running for campaign money. 1/2 his life has been on the dole, (oops, public service)
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/07/10 14:40:47
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    He paid into it.
  • Spe168 2012/07/01 18:36:18 (edited)
    Spe168
    Without a doubt, he is. It is not a check that is just sent to you. You must APPLY for it, by the same token, I am old enough - -but I have not applied, so no check here.
  • dragonfliez 2012/06/28 10:26:21
    dragonfliez
    FALSE! HE DOES NOT ACCEPT SOCIAL SECURITY! WHY WOULD HE? HE STILL GETS CONGRESSIONAL PENSION, PLUS HE HAS HIS OWN GOLD BUSINESS, AND ROYALTIES FROM ALL HIS BOOKS. QUIT SPREADING LIES!
  • dragonf... dragonf... 2012/06/28 10:28:04
    dragonfliez
    correction, he doesn't get the pension - he declined it, and he doesn't need it.
  • Spe168 dragonf... 2012/07/01 18:38:58
    Spe168
    +1
    Sorry, you didn't read the article. He admitted that he does.
  • frank 2012/06/25 17:04:15
    frank
    Just like Ronald Regan when he was president when he was against double-dipping, (Two retirement checks), while he was drawing his retirement checks from the screen actors guild, Governor of California, his S.S. and then he would be receiving one as president. I liked Regan but like all politions they are hypocrites.
  • dragonf... frank 2012/06/29 02:28:12
    dragonfliez
    nothing wrong with collecting all of your pensions, even if you don't need them. you earned them. how would you like other people telling you that you shouldn't collect yours??
  • Muriel 2012/06/24 23:24:38
    Muriel
    +3
    If it is legal, you have paid into it for years and your contemporaries also accept it, I would think you would be stupid to do otherwise.
  • Red 2012/06/24 19:16:44
  • Don Leuty 2012/06/24 05:09:17
    Don Leuty
    +3
    Try opting out, then you will have a better understanding of the system that no one was ever supposed to live long enough to draw, especially black males.

FDR and bunch studied the actuarial tables very closely when they crafted the bill. The winners of this little "lottery" were supposed to be a handful of white grandmothers and spinsters.

Thanks to strides in our medical system and a better understanding of nutrition, the average lifespan is almost a score of years longer. The "pay for itself" system has become the nation's largest pyramid scheme. The old ride on the backs of the young, ad infinitum.

Thirty years later, SS was still in the black. The progressives couldn't stand to see something not operating in the red. Sizable chunks of the SS fund were "borrowed" to prop up the "Great Society".

Since then, SS has grown to be the great sacred cow that both parties have "improved". Shoot the flawed system, not the messenger.
  • bob h. Don Leuty 2012/07/15 20:43:05
    bob h.
    It's not for lack of trying. Out of all the industrialized countries, we are next to dead last in Life Expectancy. beating only Quatar. We have the best medicine in the wold, but we're in 37pl if you count the people who don't have access to it.
  • Josh Robinson 2012/06/24 04:33:04
    Josh Robinson
    +2
    You can't opt out of Social Security and Paul Pays a lot more into it than he gets in return.
  • bob h. Josh Ro... 2012/07/15 20:43:35
    bob h.
    How do you know?
  • Josh Ro... bob h. 2012/07/15 20:48:59
    Josh Robinson
    How everyone knows... I googled it. Then from there I started hunting left and right until I was satisfied I knew enough to start jabbering about it. I put a whole 2 days online inquiry in on just that 1 question. It's quite possible you will find evidence to the contrary I didn't see in my searches. Do you know of any off hand..?
  • Red Branch 2012/06/24 04:05:30
  • jasmine1 2012/06/24 03:33:48
    jasmine1
    +3
    He paid into the system. He deserves a return on his money. This is an insurance plan albiet not a good one, but an insurance plan. During the 90's alone my husband and I paid about $150,000 into the system between SS and Medicare. This isn't welfare, this is a government pension plan and we deserve it.
  • prankster 2012/06/23 23:03:18
    prankster
    +3
    Paul is a tard 95% of the time, but he did pay into the system and is entitled to that
  • Chief 2012/06/23 19:56:38
    Chief
    +1
    He is a politician and he will say whatever he thinks will cause a stir or get him votes. It's not about republican or democrat, they are just puppets, there not the real people in charge. The Banks and corporations are in charge and the people that own them and until we the money out of politics nothing will change.
  • Katfish 2012/06/23 08:35:56
    Katfish
    +3
    They took the money against my will, I want any part I can get back.
  • Arizona1950 2012/06/23 04:29:22
    Arizona1950
    +4
    He has paid into the Social Security Program all of his life ... I see no reason why he should feel guilty about receiving a pittance of what he put into it.

He knows that the system is corrupt and unconstitutional and will not be solvent for the future generations so believes that anyone who is young and starting out in a career no matter what it may be should be forced to put into it. He would slowly like to see it disolved and future generation can save or invest their money as they see fit.

Social Securiety is not welfare ... food stamps are a form of welfare where the recipient gets something for nothing in too many cases. Illegals, parents of anchor babies, is a good example of getting something for nothing.
  • bob h. Arizona... 2012/07/15 20:46:25
    bob h.
    Don't forget that between the AF, CC and politics. the government paid his salary for half his life. Stealing from Peter to pay Paul.
  • DDogbreath bob h. 2012/07/15 21:01:34
  • Arizona... bob h. 2012/07/16 05:38:25
    Arizona1950
    He has always had a thriving business as a Dr. and I know he has retured unused money, never voted a pay increase, and has written several succussful books so I really don't know what he collected as a salary via stealing from Peter to pay Paul.
  • Freedom 2012/06/23 02:10:14
    Freedom
    +1
    Yes, this is very hypocritical, considering the guy is a millionaire as well! I like Ron Paul, he stands for a lot of good things....BUT this just shows that all politicans are slicksters. Why can't we just get an honest, straight shooter for a change?

Oh, I know! Because they all are paid off by big financieers. We need to get the money out of politics if we are going to get any real change.
  • Josh Ro... Freedom 2012/06/24 04:38:12
    Josh Robinson
    So have you seen yet that nobody can opt out of SS and he gets back far less than he put into it..?
  • Freedom Josh Ro... 2012/06/24 13:30:42
    Freedom
    This article clears things up a bit:

http://communities.washington...
  • AaronJasonCumbie 2012/06/22 19:54:55
  • Josh Ro... AaronJa... 2012/06/24 04:39:26
    Josh Robinson
    +1
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah... you calling others a dumbass... Nice...!
  • nverumind 2012/06/22 15:32:22
    nverumind
    +6
    No , he is not a hypocrite~! He has been paying into social security (without the choice to opt out -like everyone else) his whole life , and should recieve the benefits he payed in for just like anyone else who has done so.
    Ron Paul considers Social Security unconstitutional and he has tried for many years for the program to be "phased out" Meaning Gradual!. He says that the Social Security system is in "bad shape ... "The numbers aren't there"; funds are disapearing because Congress borrows from Social Security funds every year to fund the budget. Ron Paul's budget proposal for 2013 would guarantee to uphold Social Security commitments to older workers while allowing Americans under 25 to opt out of participating in the program.

This questions is so ridiculously misleading and False
  • John "By God" American 2012/06/22 10:57:48
    John "By God" American
    +7
    He paid into it for all these years, so why wouldn't he?
  • DDogbreath 2012/06/22 09:34:01
    DDogbreath
    +6
    He's not a "draft dodger" either...

Chicken Hawk  Flip Flop  Douche Bag
  • bob h. DDogbreath 2012/07/15 20:47:22
    bob h.
    +1
    True that.

2014/10/01 08:26:43