Romney's New Mini Headache---Cookiegate!

luvguins 2012/04/20 03:17:58
Mitt has no clue how average Americans live.
When is Ann Romney going to unzip her husband?
Poor Willard. Hard as he tries he just can't seem to relate to ordinary folks. At a set-up meeting with some selected middle class Republicans in Bethel, PA on 4/18 he sat down at a picnic table with them and tried to relate with their concerns.

Sigh. Mitt Romney needs to stop pretending to relate to people. He needs to stop making jokes, stop making small talk, and just sit there, I think. Because talking to people never works out well for him:

The governor sat down at a picnic table set with food and made an apparent attempt at humor.

“I’m not sure about these cookies,” Mr. Romney said. “They don’t look like you made them,” he said turning to one of the women at the table. “Did you make those cookies? You didn’t, did you? No. No. They came from the local 7-Eleven bakery or wherever.” [...]

The cookies, in fact, were donated from the popular Bethel Bakery around the corner from the community center, and once Mr. Romney’s comment was broadcast on local airwaves offended residents took to Facebook and Twitter to complain. The episode was inevitably called “CookieGate.”

Yeah, way to bond with the locals. Insult their popular local cookies. Take that, Barack Obama. (Apparently, however, the comments went over well at 7-Eleven, which would like you to know that it does indeed bake its own cookies.)

All right, first off: This isn't a big deal, okay? So we're not going to make fun of him for it.

After all, it's not like he strapped cookies to the top of his car and drove off with them. It's not like he commented on how his new beachfront house has a special elevator just for cookies. It's not like he visited a shut-down factory and claimed that it'd be open if it wasn't for that meddlesome Obama, only to have people quickly find out the factory closed under Bush. (Wait, that one actually happened? Just now, you say? Oh, Christ, Mitt, are you even trying?) No, it's just a little local gaffe of the sort that Mitt Romney, consummate retail politician, the man who can take both sides on any issue faster than you can say tax cuts for rich people, makes all-the-freaking-time. It'd be mean to even bring these things up, at this point.

I think Mitt's problem is that his first instinct in any public situation is wrong. His first public opinion on any issue? Wrong, necessitating a quick explanation by his campaign as to what he really meant. His first instinct on how to pander to locals? Complement them on their "trash bag" raincoats, or the moderate palatability of their "cheesy grits," or how their locally baked cookies look like the stuff you'd find at the local Kwik-E-Mart. He wants so much to bond with the locals, and be the funny, down-to-earth guy that all of the people who he pays say he is, but it comes out wrong.

My own advice is to stop trying. I think Mitt should just bag the bond-with-the-locals act, ands start showing up to campaign events dressed like the rich guy on the Monopoly box. Screw showing up at NASCAR or NFL events, just show up with NFL team owners and say, "See this guy? He owns that shit the rest of you like." Make appearances at factories, sure, but spend the time giving them advice on how they could best maximize profit value by selling the place for parts. Anything. But he needs to stop trying to bond with people over their food choices, whether it be over their "cheesy grits" or their insufficiently homemade cookies, and just embrace the fact that he's a mega-wealthy multi-home-owning vulture capital baron who only gets rid of his illegal immigrant laborers during the times when campaign season rolls around. Embrace your strengths!

The bakery tried to make light of it and offered a "Cookiegate Special", a doxen cookies free with each dozen purchased, and a 7-11 spokesman wanted Mitt to know that they do supply fresh baked goods to 5500 stores daily.

Read More: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/04/19/1084760/-...

• littleb... luvguins 2012/04/25 01:35:01
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Good....but it will never happen supporting either corrupt party!

Look....we are now asking in health care that certain services be provided for free by insurers. Lol...never gonna happen! I'm off subject for a sec. but hear me out. I as a conservative (socially liberal fiscal conservative) am actually for a healthcare system like Japans where the government controls prices. Then depending on the industry a person works in they have 5 or more private providers of the care. An MRI there costs 1/3 rd of here. GE & Toshiba make MRI equipment that helps in that they don't even offer here! Unless the costs are controlled what we have now and before will not work! All Japanese citizens are covered and their life expectancy exceeds our by over 4 years.

Now....until we get the money out of elections the cost will rise and the results will be poor. I liked Barack Obama saying he would diss Lobbyists! Lol....He lied! Why when he had complete control of both houses was this not done? Instead he shoved a health plan down our throats we cannot afford!

He screwed himself with the conservative then & there! Why did we get this plan in this form? MONEY!!! So I hear you but don't believe your sincerity as you vote strict party line!
  • luvguins littleb... 2012/04/25 02:46:04
    luvguins
    I voted for Republicans when the were reasonable. No health care plan will work until costs are controlled. Hospitals and doctors inflate their prices to get 1/3 from health insurance companies who raise premiums at will with no anti-trust constraints. They deny care and were outed for giving bonuses to their employees to deny care. With their obscene profits the fines didn't phase them. Health care costs should be the same USA wide, not more expensive in NYC compared to Waterloo, IA. The only thing good about the ACA is that it stops some of the practices of health insurance companies. Medicare for all would make hospitals and doctors all get by with reasonable payments like Japan. A friend of mine had a hip replacement and showed me her bill for $66,000.00. Her insurance paid and the hospital accepted $18,000.00. 100% with the supplement she had to her Medicare. Makes no sense, and if the ACA gets repealed the GOP will just go back to the old system getting bigger bribes from health insurance and price inflation will continue.
  • littleb... luvguins 2012/04/25 03:08:38
  • luvguins littleb... 2012/04/25 03:44:10
    luvguins
    +1
    I'm not either, but that is exactly what the GOP will do. Go right back to where we are now leaving 50 million uninsured. Of course it is money. If it wasn't politicians would not fight to stay in Congress and the White House.
  • littleb... luvguins 2012/04/25 04:36:05
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Not saying going back is where I want to go...but my costs were lower than! So in the end what's the difference?
  • luvguins littleb... 2012/04/25 05:06:28
    luvguins
    +1
    Who is going to be amenable to it from either party is the problem.
  • littleb... luvguins 2012/04/25 06:19:30
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    +1
    All the more reason for US the people to find away across party lines to force them to understand!
  • Michaelene luvguins 2012/04/23 10:28:41
    Michaelene
    What do you know? You were at a Romney rally? do your friends know?
  • luvguins Michaelene 2012/04/23 18:36:11
    luvguins
    If you can't see it watching him, you're just a blind supporter.
  • Michaelene luvguins 2012/04/24 12:14:57
    Michaelene
    See what watching Romney? You can't answer the question. are you afraid to attend a republican event?

I don't have esp dear and I'm no blind suporter, unlike the Obamabots, I don't think one man can stop the oceans rising! LMAO

I just know I've had enough of the snake oil Obama has been selling. Pretty soon we are going to have to try to put that snake oil crap in our cars to drive.
    Thanks to the Obama plan, The Secty of Energy, EPA, the Dept of Energy et al we are buying more foreign oil and no longer have the needed capacity to produce enough gas to power our nation.
    Last year we had to BUY electricity from MEXICO!!!

This year there will be rolling brownouts and blackouts.

Perhaps that is why he needed to sign the March 16 EO, another excuse for him to declare martial law. This time without a war and without a natural disaster, Obama can take control of our nation, it's people and all of our goods "in case of emergency".
    How long before he creates an emergency?
  • luvguins Michaelene 2012/04/24 15:49:05
    luvguins
    If Romney comes my way during his campaign after the GOP convention, I'll be there. It will be fun to watch him try to be moderate, after being "severely" conservative for you lemmings. He'll be flopping like a fish out of water while the Obama campaign holds his feet to the fire.

When I saw the economy go South to the South pole thanks to Bush I didn't expect an instant miracle since God was not running. Guess you did.

Actually we are exporting more oil than in years, using 10% less, and gas prices are dropping since this last week. I filled up for $3.67 a gallon yesterday.

He had to sign the EO because thanks to the GOP the bill was veto proof, and he promised not to use it against Americans in his signing statement. Martial law? You righties doom and gloom and demagoguery is not winning....LOL.
  • Michaelene luvguins 2012/04/24 15:56:39
    Michaelene
    Good to know you're going, I'll alert them, lol!
    We export because our refineries are closing down, we don't have any more capacity. My gas was $4.10, lucky Virginia.
    Nothing is ever his decision but his credit is always his. You still trust him?
    He promised what?
    God help us!
  • luvguins Michaelene 2012/04/24 16:44:46
    luvguins
    Trust him more than Romney who doesn't know who or what he is. The neocons have already let him know they will be running the show in Congress making him a figurehead.

Independents are angry over the gridlock in Congress, and the time spent on social issues especially women independents. It is going to be difficult for Romney and the GOP to reverse that now. It is why yesterday, Romney flip flopped for not increasing interest on student loans, which is in direct conflict with him supporting Ryan's budget, knowing Obama has lost a little enthusiasm from the youth for 2012 compared to 2008. The GOP definitely knows after 2008 if they cannot get 50% of women, and over 40% of latinos voters they cannot win the presidency, and they may lose seats in Congress. The only demographic that McCain won in 2008 albeit slightly was white protestant men over 50 yrs. old.

I'm not sure about NC, but believe my state of VA will go democratic again in 2012 due to Governor "vaginal probe" McDonnell, if Romney tabs him as his VP.
  • Michaelene luvguins 2012/04/25 11:50:07
    Michaelene
    This "vaginal probe" thing is really getting at you. Have you ever had one? It's a piece of cake. Maybe I'm just used to more painful and dangerous medical tests but that was the easiest test I've had done to me in the last 5 years.

Obama's not connecting to the youth because the youth understand the what regulations have been placed upon them with the HR1388 forced volunteer work (that excludes everything (like cancer, march of dimesm azheimers, autism etc except gov't run programs) and of course the NDAA.
    When Obama took over the school loans, why did he create such a high interest rate to begin with? My school loans from the 90's were in the 3% range.
  • luvguins Michaelene 2012/04/25 12:56:04
    luvguins
    The opposers of the probe oppose the pre abortion ultrasound period so the probe is just more invasive to them.

The student loan rate was reduced to 3.4% in 2007 by Bush with a 5 year revisit scheduled for 2012. If not renewed 7/1 it will double to 6.8%. Not Obama's doing, and he still holds a lead with students over Romney.

Whoever wins the 6% of independents will win the election.
  • Michaelene luvguins 2012/04/26 10:33:21
    Michaelene
    There should always be an ultrasound to ensure the proper proceedure is used to excavate the uterus. Too many women die each year during what should be a simple operation. Just one death per year is too much.
  • Michaelene Michaelene 2012/04/26 10:33:40
    Michaelene
    oops evacuate
  • luvguins Michaelene 2012/04/26 14:06:36
    luvguins
    Have you counted the deaths before abortion was legal? Thousands not one. A ultrasound makes little difference in the procedure to be used.
  • Michaelene luvguins 2012/04/26 15:13:09
    Michaelene
    The proceedures differ upon the age of the fetus. An abortion before 12 weeks is cheaper than one in the second trimester, which explains why so many women are incorrected when asked about the gestational age of the fetus.
    This is why an ultrasound is needed. Different techniques are used to ensure there are no human body parts left in the womans's uterus to decay.
    If the POTUS had his way partial birth abortion would be legal, just stab the infant in the skull after the head crowns.

No one is attempting to revoke the legality of killing your children.
  • luvguins Michaelene 2012/04/26 15:43:04
    luvguins
    Republicans in the states are systematically imposing abortion restrictions on their march to get the SCOTUS to overturn Roe V. Wade. A Kansas legislator introduced a bill to make it legal to kill an abortion doctor. So you are telling me no one is attempting to revoke the legality of abortion?

It should be the doctors choice to order an ultrasound if there is a question of gestational age. Not just more ultrasounds to further increase the cost of health care, and impose an extra charge to a poor woman in additon to the procedure's cost.

Your POTUS hate is showing about partial birth abortion, and don't parrot the bill he voted yes on in Illinois. It's been heard ad nauseum and was an add on to that bill. I am pro-choice only for cases of rape, incest, and maternal life.
  • Michaelene luvguins 2012/04/26 16:01:04
    Michaelene
    What's wrong with exposing the way the POTUS handles the "mistakes" of women?
    Yes he did vote for murdering a live born infant and every human being should know how he truely feels.

Determining the age of the fetus is most pertinent to the proceedures safety and avoiding post surgical complications such as infection or further surgery.

It is obvious that no one is overturning Roe vs Wade but progressives will continue to use that scare tactic to get the votes of these single issue voters.
  • luvguins Michaelene 2012/04/26 16:41:33
    luvguins
    What is obvious is that with a right activist court they could lose if Obama gets a second term, the GOP would love to overturn Roe V. Wade.

Safe legal abortions have been done since the 60's without ultrasounds, so your point is moot.
  • Michaelene luvguins 2012/04/26 16:56:05
    Michaelene
    There is NO credible threat to abortion, especially from Romney.

Since the 60's there have been atrocious things done to women and children in abortion facilities as well. Look up Dr Kermitt Gosnell Philadelphia for just one recent example.
  • luvguins Michaelene 2012/04/26 17:02:05
    luvguins
    Malpractice exists in all areas of medicine. Reality. If states continue to make abortion unavailable, illegal abortion will rise again with more deaths.
  • Michaelene luvguins 2012/04/26 17:15:38
    Michaelene
    I see you didn't look him up.
  • luvguins Michaelene 2012/04/26 17:29:51
    luvguins
    Didn't have to, as I remember the case from over a year ago. A medical monster. There could be more if abortion is ever illegal again.
  • Michaelene luvguins 2012/04/26 17:54:44
    Michaelene
    Prime example of the sick and dying women and the mistreatment of human remains that occurs still today, all under the noses of the government agencies and ignored by other women in the Department of Health.
    This is why the medical proceedure is regulated.

This is not a campaign speech, "doctors are cutting off legs for no reason", if an ultrasound is necessary it should be done.
  • MsTlynne 2012/04/20 17:18:03
    MsTlynne
    +1
    You can almost count the seconds between gaffs. I feel kind of sorry for him, but not enough to vote for him.
  • Nameless 2012/04/20 17:04:38
    Nameless
    +6
    As much as I am a liberal, this kind of stuff is so petty and it was obvious that Romney was just joking - albeit a flop. If we are going to make an issue of issues, make an issue of real issues and stop being so stinking petty. It does a disservice to anything serious and it's ignorant.
  • dallas 2012/04/20 16:40:10
  • Michaelene dallas 2012/04/20 18:09:22
    Michaelene
    +5
    Barack Obama is an elitist college educated snob that has no idea how the poorer people live.. And he could care less about how ordinary people live..Like all porgressives he only worries about the very wealthy... who fill his campaign coffers!
  • dallas Michaelene 2012/04/20 18:23:21
  • Michaelene dallas 2012/04/23 10:30:04
    Michaelene
    Me too, thanks, it was too easy.
  • dallas Michaelene 2012/04/23 13:19:24
  • Michaelene dallas 2012/04/24 12:24:58
    Michaelene
    I'm college educated but no snob. I'm ordinary and have been dirt poor and neither Obama or Romney have ever been poor.

So what is the difference between the two?

One has passed a budget and governed a state, one voted present 130 times in 143 sessions and a part time Senator and has NEVER passed a budget.

One gave away a large fortune to help others, one dosen't even give 5% of his income to help others.
    One chose the most radical friends and teachers and then hid his records, one chose to work to make a fortune and then use that experience to secure what his constituents wanted.
    One man laughs at his policies as they hurt our country, I don't think there was anything funny about shovel ready jobs.
  • dallas Michaelene 2012/04/24 17:00:03
  • Michaelene dallas 2012/04/25 11:56:09
    Michaelene
    I like that Romney is a self made millionarie. He did not inherit his fathers money, it was given to charity.
    Obama on the other hand wrote two books that made him rich while his wife made $400k+ for denying poor people treatment in hospitals.
    Talk about jobs going overseas Obama's advisor is Jeffrey Immelt who has created more jobs in china and india than he has in America, yet pays no income tax at all.
    His other Buddy Buffett owes the govt 1 billion at the very least.
  • dallas Michaelene 2012/04/25 14:19:03
  • luvguins Michaelene 2012/04/25 16:48:00
    luvguins
    We don't know it was given to charity with no income tax form to see that year. Do you have a link to your accusation about Michelle?
  • Michaelene luvguins 2012/04/26 10:34:35
    Michaelene
    Look it up, it's on the Obama's tax returns! Didn't you know what she did for a lving?

2014/08/27 13:19:19