Romney Wants People To Have All The Education They Want – If They Can Afford It

ProudProgressive 2012/06/30 14:55:46
The Republican Class War against working Americans continues. In his latest foot in mouth exercise, Mitt Romney now seems to believe that if you're not rich you're not entitled to an education. Why Republicans want to dumb down the American population is obvious. Studies have proven that the more stupid someone is, the more likely they are to embrace conservative ideology. Other recent surveys have confirmed the growing disconnect between the Right Wing and objective reality. Republicans know that in a fair election with an informed public they don't have a chance of winning. As Thomas Jefferson put it:

". . . whenever the people are
well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government; that,
whenever things get so far wrong as to attract their notice, they may be
relied on to set them right."

So when voter suppression doesn't work, the next best solution for the Right Wing is to keep the population undeducated and susceptible to the Right Wing talking point of the day. This is why the public seems to oppose "Obamacare" but support all of its provisions. This is why we see Tea Partiers with signs saying "Keep the Government's Hands Off My Medicare."

On the other hand, an education surely does not guarantee wisdom. George Bush bought himself an ivy league diploma or two, but he couldn't tie his own shoes without help. Mitt Romney also has an ivy league pedigree, and yet more and more it seems he's also running around with his shoelaces fluttering in the breeze.

Article excerpt follows:

By Wendy Gittleson
June 29, 2012

Plutocracy, aristocracy, oligarchy – to-may-to, to-mah-to, whatever you want to call it, it's Mitt Romney's platform. What's his latest ‘life is only worth living for the rich' type confessional gaffe? While campaigning in Virginia, he told the crowd that students should be able to "get as much education as they can afford."

I think this is a land of opportunity for every single person, every single citizen of this great nation. And I want to make sure that we keep America a place of opportunity, where everyone has a fair shot. They get as much education as they can afford and with their time they're able to get and if they have a willingness to work hard and the right values, they ought to be able to provide for their family and have a shot of realizing their dreams.

Here's the video:

Of course, Romney had every educational opportunity available to him. He went to private schools and ultimately graduated with a law degree from Harvard. His family could afford his education. He was able to afford the best education for his sons.

I have often been of the opinion that Romney simply believes that those of us who do not have his financial advantages are not of his species, let alone his class. How else do you explain his inability to connect with anyone at all? How do you explain that he finds 4,300 people losing their jobs to be an amusing anecdote? How about when he tells a crowd, "I'm also unemployed," ignoring his $250,000,000 safety net. How about the time he said that all young people need to do is borrow money from their parents?

If Mitt Romney becomes president, education will be a luxury affordable by few. He's against teacher's unions. He's for school vouchers. His idea of an affordable school and of a model for education, is actually the third most expensive college in the country.

Despite the fact that four-year degrees are now a necessity for the majority of jobs, Romney feels that as a country, we overemphasize the need for four-year degrees, claiming instead that many only need two-year degrees. While some two-year degreed jobs do pay well, they are the exception rather than the rule.

Romney would try to eliminate government backed student loans, giving that job instead to private banks, at a far greater cost to students. The average Bachelor's Degree brings with it a $25,000 debt and few job possibilities.

Perhaps it's time to face the reality that Romney's is a world of serfs and lords. That was the world in which he was raised. That is the world in which he lives. That is the world in which he feels comfortable. Is there any reason to believe that that's not the way he will lead?

Read More: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/06/29/afford/

• Rebel Yell 2012/06/30 16:24:10
    Rebel Yell
    +3
    Romney is so awkward around anyone who is not in the 1 %. It s almost painful to watch.

In 1994 as he was losing his U.S. Senate race against Ted Kennedy, Romney awkwardly implied that a woman was avoiding him because she did not want to be seen while she “hasn’t got her makeup on yet”, when in fact, she did have her makeup on. Another Romney joke that fell flat.

Then there was this blunder. How awkward it was when, while standing with a group of black children, he said “Who Let the Dogs Out”? Then he gave that little stiff nervous laugh when he realized no one lse was even smiling.

But here is where we see the real Mitt. Everyone remembers his " Let Detroit Go Bankrupt” comment. Romney argued that federal loans weren’t the answer to ailing automakers, and that companies struggling to stay afloat should enter a process that would allow them to “shed excess labor, pension and real estate costs.”

There you have it. This is how Romney saves companies... "shed excess labor, pension and real estate costs.” In his own words he descibed how he began mega wealthy by gobbling up companies, pumping them up for a few years, and then firing employees and axing their pensions. Of course he knows nothing of ordinary Americans. Worse, he doesn't give a rat's furry arse about them either.

• Queen B 2012/06/30 18:52:34
  • Wilde~MoonChild ™ 2012/06/30 18:38:43
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +2
    From what I've read he is NOTHING like his father. He must be rolling over in his grave!!
  • Rebel Yell 2012/06/30 16:24:10
    Rebel Yell
    +3

• wtxwoman Rebel Yell 2012/06/30 16:36:24
    wtxwoman
    +1
    Excellent post and, sadly, all too true.
  • CAROLYN NTARWNJBS 2012/06/30 16:19:58
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +3
    Romney's attitude is reflective of what the GOP is preaching.More worrisome is the GOP belief that government has no business making college more affordable. Romney lives in the bubble and HE will lead that way.Obama 2012!
  • Maddog 2012/06/30 15:30:22
    Maddog
    So Libs, I suppose the Nanny State is now supposed to provide free college to all who want it, in addition to providing for all your other needs? Who's going to pay for all of this. Wait, don't answer that! I already know the answer: The "Rich", of course!
  • Reichstolz 2012/06/30 15:30:09
    Reichstolz
    Is America not an opportunity society, where you provide your own opportunity? Higher education costs rise with the availability of cheap financing. So if one is to be honest, which I know you are not, it is the federal government that is responsible for the expense related to higher education.
  • Schläue~© 2012/06/30 15:26:43 (edited)
    Schläue~©
    Where are all of 0bozo's great & glorious records showing how he got into certain colleges, what status he registered under, if in fact he ever attended any classes, what his grades were and what he was writing?

Anyhow..... fact is, the $70 Billion (local bank) student loan program was hijacked and stuck on the end of 0bozocare to help keep the advertised cost under the bogus $1 Trillion that has been advertised.

Now that the Federal govt. is making all decisions on what a person's ability is to pay back the loan .... what the course of study is (will the market bear 5,000 underwater basket weaving degrees?) and what preferred demographics will be approved ..... the Student loan program has become the next $ Trillion crisis on the horizon as wash-outs & defaults begin to pile up and many are finding that their obscure degree makes less sense than high heels on a pig.

But, for all who pay their bills on time.... 0bozocare will be funded through the back door without the general population ever noticing it. Not to mention all the private bank loan officers who lost their jobs and the impact it had on the banks in the neighborhoods.

Bottom line.... college isn't for everybody and that is why there are trade schools, junior & community colleges as stepping stones for those who are willin...

&

&

&

Bottom line.... college isn't for everybody and that is why there are trade schools, junior & community colleges as stepping stones for those who are willing to devote the time to get the grades and move up the ladder to a State University or premier private scholarship.

It's NOT the dumbing down of America that Romney is speaking of. It's the constant goobermint interference that will wind up just as the GSE's like Fannie & Freddie creating a disaster down the road.

Whatever happened to having to prove one-self first in high-school, that one is willing to put the time & effort into taking their education seriously before handing out 10's of 1,000's of dollars that will fall back on taxpayers if not repaid?

Where is the REAL dumbing down of America occurring? Should we not be focused on the failed public school system that's churning out blithering idiots who know everything about proper condom use and how to carry a picket sign.... yet barely scrape by with basic math, reading & writing skills?
  • betz 2012/06/30 15:13:23
    betz
    Yes he did have every educational opportunity abailable to him and so did my siblings and I. Our situation was a bit different than the Romney family. It is obvious they had much more money than my family did. In my situation there were 4 children in our family. My father entered the army out of high school in order to have his college paid. I applaud him for that as he came from very humble beginnings. He worked hard for 40 years and worked his way up the corporate ladder. As he worked he saved and invested. He planned for our future as he cared deeply that we furthered our education. The four of us are forever grateful to him. I went out of state to Michigan to school. My brother went to a small school in MA and sister and other brother graduated from Ohio universities (OSU and OU)
    I am sorry for others' debts but it is their own choosing. I do think if one cannot pay for college then one should attend a trade school.....those people make money too. Join a union and you make even more.

Romney's world is not that of serfs and lords. It is a world of hard workers who plan for the future of their children and those who do not. Get two jobs if you have to (my father pumped gas as he was attending school and yes he hitchhiked back and forth. I am so sick of the give me give me give me mentality. I truly am.

Whatever happened to hard work and being responsible?
  • zbacku 2012/06/30 15:12:52
    zbacku
    +1
    Nothing is FREE in life. Either you pay for yourself or someone else has to come up with the cash. And that someone else is the taxpayer.
  • betz zbacku 2012/06/30 15:14:27
    betz
    Precisely zbacku. I do give my time and money to others but we cannot burden the bill for all.
  • Wilde~M... zbacku 2012/06/30 18:28:53
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    You mean nothing is free in America.. there are other countries that provide free or cheaper education. Please try to remember America isn't the only place is the world...
  • betz Wilde~M... 2012/06/30 19:23:59 (edited)
    betz
    But this is where we live Wilde. What other countries do is their affair. People must work for luxuries and IMO a college education is a luxury. Start planniing now.
  • Wilde~M... betz 2012/06/30 19:46:29
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    I know where we live.. thanks! My comment is in reference to his comment,'nothing is FREE in life. It's unfortunate you believe education is a luxury, I do not believe that way. So whose right?? Plenty of people planned for college and had their money stolen by wall street. What do those people do? Nothing is a black and white as people from the right believe...
    As for your statement, what other countries do is their affair, try to remember that when another Republican president decides they want to bring democracy to their country.
  • betz Wilde~M... 2012/06/30 19:57:24
    betz
    Yep I do believe education is a luxury. I'm sorry you do not.
  • Wilde~M... betz 2012/07/01 13:52:31
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    Most people don't want a world where only a hand full of people are educated because they were lucky enough to come from the right sperm and/or egg. Personally, I'd like a more educated society.... so yea, you should be sorry.
  • betz Wilde~M... 2012/07/01 14:00:28
    betz
    It's not being lucky enough to have come from the correct sperm or egg....it's all about parents caring about what they think is best for their child. People must begin to plan and realize it is their repsonsibility to provide what a child needs. I am not sorry in the least. I do, by choice help, others.....but they must also help themselves.
    There are community colleges people can attend if money is an issue. They can take one course at a time. I would certainly have great admiration for someone who did that. One must make an effort to better themselves.

2014/08/27 13:17:47