Romney to Reid: 'Put up or shut up'. Fair OR Foul?

jt 2012/08/03 00:06:43
Related Topics: CNN, Romney, Fair, Reid, 2012, Rei

• Rod 2012/08/03 01:17:48
    Fair
    Rod
    +10
    What an obvious dirty Chicago political move. Trying to force Romney into releasing more tax returns. If Romney had done anything illegal the IRS would have been all over him by now. And how in the hell would an investor or an employee of Bain Capital know anything about Romney's tax returns? This is all a ploy to obscure Obama's poor fiscal results. Obama can't argue with anything positive so he, and the rest of the liberals, will make up lies to try and discredit their opponents. If I were Romney I wouldn't show one more tax return than is required or appropriate. Most other presidential candidates "never" showed more than two years worth of tax records. Reid is a liar and he should name his source. He can't because there is no source to name.

• Swampdog PWCM 2012/08/04 17:53:23
    Fair
    Swampdog PWCM
    +1
    Dingy Harry Reed is a slanderer, but then what else do the Dems have? They have to make up crap because their candidate has nothing to run on.
  • Aurora 2012/08/04 17:28:45
    Fair
    Aurora
    +2
    I am sick of the democratic propaganda machine telling lies and accusing Romney and others of not following the law.
  • sick'n'tired PWCM 2012/08/04 17:27:29
    Fair
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +2
    I agree with Romney. Prove your accusation. Better still let Reid show his records while he is at it.
  • ruthannhausman 2012/08/04 15:23:04
    Fair
    ruthannhausman
    +3
    My first reaction, speaking strictly as myself and my own opinions, would have been "foul" because I don't like this kind of tactic in what is supposed to be adult politics in America. But, alas, Harry Reid has chosen to be the front dog for the most egregious smear campaign against Romney that I've ever seen and he doesn't care how bogus his claims may be. He's just interested in throwing out barbs to sting and harm Romney's chances in the election and that's his only goal. Never mind the fact that he's reaching way, way beyond sane behavior to do it.

But Romney's saying "put up or shut up" actually is appropriate in this case. Reid can't just stand there under the protection of Senate immunities and hurl specious allegations against Romney and get away with it totally unscathed. But instead of Romney continuing with the childish behavior, he has demanded that Reid name his sources and stop dishing out rumors without foundations. And that is very appropriate, in my opinion. In fact, cheers to Romney for gentleman-like behavior. I would have punched Reid in the nose, personally. I really think I would!
  • Jim 2012/08/04 05:06:08
    Fair
    Jim
    +3
    Harry Reid is a left wing jerk. He should be sued for defamation. You don't make statements you can't back up.
  • Iamfree 2012/08/04 04:25:49
    Fair
    Iamfree
    +3
    If Reid has proof of his accusations, let's hear it. Otherwise, he needs to shut up.
  • cddjmikey 2012/08/04 00:48:27
    Fair
    cddjmikey
    +3
    I heard Reid wouldn't even show HIS for the last couple of years ! He also said that Romney couldn't be elected as Dog Catcher because he wouldn't release them. So where does that leave Reid ? How about this, he tells them that he will release his taxes as soon as Obama releases info on his life !!
  • RandyScott (Party of One) 2012/08/04 00:37:18
    Fair
    RandyScott (Party of One)
    +3
    Actually I don't think he went far enough. He should sue Reid for slander, then Reid would have to reveal his sources or quit running his mouth.
  • chubo 2012/08/04 00:22:09
    Fair
    chubo
    +4
    Old Harry is becoming a larger embarrassment to the dumbocrat party than either Biden or Gore.
  • ruthann... chubo 2012/08/04 15:24:02
    ruthannhausman
    +2
    I don't know, looks like a photo finish to me!
  • Catnip "Guru" ∞ 2012/08/04 00:14:18
    Fair
    Catnip "Guru" ∞
    +2
    Romney is just calling out Reid whenever he puts his foot in his mouth yet again.
  • gocar 2012/08/04 00:03:17
    Fair
    gocar
    +1
    Yes I think it is fair but I also think Romney should show his tax returns to refute the accusation that he paid no taxes at all for years. I don't think Harry Reid would have said such a thing unless he was very sure of himself. It could be that the source would be harmed in a whistle blower way if the name was revealed. Maybe it was the people who prepared the tax return and got paid a lot of money to do it.
  • Charles R. Anderson 2012/08/03 23:38:25
    Fair
    Charles R. Anderson
    +3
    Romney paid his taxes in 2010 and in 2012. Meanwhile, Reid has defied the law and will not allow the Senate to produce a budget. Now in the Big Picture, if Romney did not pay his taxes, the government might loss say $1,000,000 in revenue. But with the Senate refusing to produce a budget for more than 3 years, the entire time that Obama has been in office, we know that the government has foolishly wasted many tens of billions of dollars of revenues, and probably even hundreds of billions of dollars of taxes.

In the Big Picture, Reid is a scoundrel of the highest rank. No single American who has managed to arrange his affairs so that he is not paying taxes, could be anything but a piker in comparison.
  • gocar Charles... 2012/08/04 00:30:18
    gocar
    +2
    But is Romney did not pay any taxes with multiple loop holes and overseas accounts they does not bother you?
  • Iamfree gocar 2012/08/04 04:27:23
    Iamfree
    +2
    As long as he did nothing illegal, it wouldn't bother me. In fact, I'd say good for him. If I had the legal ability to keep more of my money out of the spendaholic government's hands, you can bet I would do it.
  • ruthann... gocar 2012/08/04 15:30:58
    ruthannhausman
    +1
    Romney did everything legally. But then, after paying his legal taxes -- and large amounts, as I hear it -- he then donated huge amounts to charity. Much, much, much more than Obama, Biden, Gore -- you name it.

So would you rather he went ahead and ignored the legal loopholes and paid taxes on money that he didn't need to and then deduct that amount from what he intended to give to charity? Would that make all his detractors feel a whole lot better? What's the damned difference?

I'd rather charity got the bulk of the "untaxed" bucks than the Obama administration, which just dumps tax dollars into that big green garbage disposal of his and does "the people" absolutely no good whatsoever. Pays back a lot of political favors, though. Goody for Obama.
  • frank 2012/08/03 18:03:52
    Fair
    frank
    +2
    All liers should be called out. I surprises me that the democrats can stand there and lie and the snooze media will jump on it blindly.
  • Jean 2012/08/03 13:17:47
    Fair
    Jean
    +5
    Harry Reid's allegations fall under the heading of defamation under the law, and he should have to answer to Romney in court. Reid has a history of lying and he doesn't have any kind of privilege concerning his communications, so if there was a phone call, he needs to come clean with the source. My guess - an Obama supporter who is also a Bain investor. BTW, I have some friends in Las Vegas who told me that Harry Reid is jammed up with the Hells Angels and has been helping them launder drug money. He should be forced to prove me wrong.......
  • Aksana 2012/08/03 11:56:57
    Foul
    Aksana
  • Jim Aksana 2012/08/04 05:09:23
  • Snowball 2012/08/03 07:43:17 (edited)
    Fair
    Snowball
    +2
    I mean it is FAIR FOR MITT TO TELL HIM THIS. Reid is a spineless coward. No budget. No tax reform (the real issue). If Obama & Reid really wanted even Romney to pay "his fair share", then they should have used their democratic majority in year 1 & 2 to get tax reform passed (removing loop holes). But obviously they are COUNTING on their "followers" to not ask that question- or even sincerely care- because they don't. And even if we find out Romney didn't pay taxes- it won't be because he legally had the right to claim the deductions- like Obama did to avoid "his fair share", it will be. "oh mean Mitt", just like with everything else. They don't care if Obama does it- but they'll be the first to stone someone else....and make up PHONEY agendas that even they don't believe in- and wouldn't run the Government for more than 8 days! They are selling snake oil, and don't give a crap about REAL solutions. Just like with Fannie & Freddie. Funny how when Obama is in Control it's Congress's fault- but in '07 & '08 (dem Congress) when Barmey Frank's mess started to unravel it was Bush
  • TheTruth1313 2012/08/03 06:12:38
    Fair
    TheTruth1313
    +5
    Very fair. If "Captain Cadaver" Reid can dish it out then he better be able to take it as well.
  • Bob DiN 2012/08/03 05:43:00
    Fair
    Bob DiN
    +4
    Reid is full of crap. How he and Pelosi make up such lies is amazing. No wonder the country is in toliet.
  • Edwin 2012/08/03 04:33:31
    Fair
    Edwin
    +3
    So... one politician is saying things about another -- in an election year???

Gosh, how unusual!
  • Jenn 2012/08/03 02:40:29
    Fair
    Jenn
    +5
    Harry Reid..is a big laugh,He is a terribly ignorant little man.
  • Peacock 2012/08/03 02:31:01 (edited)
    Fair
    Peacock
    +3
    With what we have in Government today,anything foul is fair.
  • Farnsworth 2012/08/03 02:26:30
    Fair
    Farnsworth
    +6
    Maybe Romney should talk about Reids land deal and all those government contracts that went to Reids sons....

Yes dickless Harry, lets talk about you.....
  • umapathy Krishnamurthy 2012/08/03 01:41:17
    Foul
    umapathy Krishnamurthy
    +2
    I feel foul
  • jt umapath... 2012/08/03 02:38:27
    jt
    Why?
  • Jim umapath... 2012/08/04 05:11:23
    Jim
    +1
    If you feel foul, take a bath or a shower. That should correct the problem. Also use plenty of deodorent and talcum powder.
  • Bob S 2012/08/03 01:35:04
    Fair
    Bob S
    +6
    Reid is a disgrace to anything and everything. The democrats should be ashamed of his total BS. Just make up accusations and hurl them to see what sticks. If Reid is so sure that Romney is hiding something in his taxessss r lack of taxes, he is the BS artist that should have to prove this fact. Produce his invisible witness. He comes ujp with anything and everything except a required by law BUDGET.
  • Rod 2012/08/03 01:17:48
    Fair
    Rod
    +10
  • The Black Dagger 2012/08/03 01:13:36
    Fair
    The Black Dagger
    +9
    I think Romney should wait for the left to reveal Obama's entire hidden history. Then he can release his tax records as well.

Show me yours first, Obama.
  • Claybern 2012/08/03 01:11:35
    Fair
    Claybern
    +7
    Harry Reid is full off awfull smelling stuff.
  • Bob S Claybern 2012/08/03 01:35:45
    Bob S
    +3
    CRAAAP-o=la.
  • Swampdo... Claybern 2012/08/04 17:59:40
    Swampdog PWCM
    +1
    Demo-crap?
  • Claybern Swampdo... 2012/08/09 03:42:14
  • john Kills 2012/08/03 01:07:34
    Fair
    john Kills
    +3
    I don't like dumney but, I would even support barry's right to call out anyone telling lies. Of course with barry, the truth is more outrageous than any lie.
  • 3052457 2012/08/03 00:56:28 (edited)
  • painted desert 2012/08/03 00:46:11
    Foul
    painted desert
    +3
    Prove us all wrong Robmey and produce your taxes. That would be the biggest slap in the face to the Dems and anyone who doubts you. But till then, Show us the proof. Where are your taxes? What do you have to hide?

2014/08/20 16:35:16