Romney rejects using the Rev. Jeremiah Wright against Obama, saying we need to focus on the economy: yay or nay?

tncdel 2012/05/17 20:58:15

• tncdel 2012/05/17 21:00:51
    YAY! [explain].
    tncdel
    +8
    Let Obama stoop down to digging up high school pranks and making "same-sex marriage" major issues, so as to distract us from both his lousy record, as well as the fact that he is constitutionally ineligible to be president. But we won't be forgetting in November.

• Unclecracker 2012/05/26 03:30:19
    NAY! [explain].
    Unclecracker
    Romney needs to go for the jugular with Obama. He has the amunition just like McCain did and chose to whimp out and do nothing about it. Mitt don't be a McCain and do nothing!! That scumbag Obama will do it to you!!! Remember, nice guys finish last. You have to be filthy just like Obama!
  • Lee 2012/05/22 10:24:23 (edited)
    YAY! [explain].
    Lee
    The only reason Romney doesn't want to use Obama's religion against him is because that would open the door to others using Romney's religion against Romney.

And the Mormons have a rich history of anti-American activities and a rich history of nutzoid behavior in general to highlight.

After all it wasn't the Reverend Jeremiah Wright who ordered the mass murder of an entire wagon train of non-believers. That was Brigham Young and his crazy Mormon cult.

If you want to get into the weird sh*t spouted by Mormon "Prophets," you would have an almost endless fountain of murderous and lecherous anti-American weirdness to talk about.

Romney did in fact hold up Obama to ridicule because of his religion in the past, but evidently the Romney camp now realizes that such a tack would harm them more than help them.
  • Cap Lee 2012/05/26 01:55:04
    Cap
    When did Romney hold up Obama to ridicule because of his religion?
  • Lee Cap 2012/05/26 02:12:35 (edited)
    Lee
    When?

About three months ago.

http://articles.latimes.com/2...

About Obama, Mitt (the Carp) Romney said this:

" I’m not sure which is worse, him listening to Reverend Wright or him saying that we must be a less Christian nation.”

I'm not sure which is worse either . . .

. . . The pseudo-righteous SOB Romney (who belongs to a religion with a long history of anti-American whacked out behavior) criticizing Obama for something his pastor said . . .

Or . . .

. . . The religious zealot Romney suggesting that a nation rich in ethnic and religious diversity is somehow inferior to a nation controlled by one supreme religion.

Perhaps Saint Romney would be more suitable as the theocratic President of Deseret (the Mormon-dominated nation envisioned by Brigham Young).

Face it, Mitt the Carp has more in common with Osama Bin Laden and other Extremist theocrats then he has in common with Real freedom-loving Americans.
  • Unclecr... Lee 2012/05/26 03:13:49
  • Lee Unclecr... 2012/05/26 13:33:54 (edited)
    Lee
    "What long history of whacked out behavior?"

How many religions actually declared war against the United States?

Brigham Young and the Mormons did. Look up the Mormon War.

While you're at it, look up the Mountain Meadows Massacre, where the Mormons murdered a whole wagon train of non-believers.

Those, in my humble opinion, are instances of whacked out behavior. And there are plenty of other examples.

Revered members of Romney's church murdered hundreds of Americans, and yet Saint Romney has the audacity to ridicule Obama's association with Reverend Wright as un-American.

Romney is a real decent guy, isn't he?

I think it's revealing how young Mr Romney attacked a kid at his prep school with a scissors and cut off his hair.

While other eighteen year olds were fighting and dying in Viet Nam, Master Mitt Romney was asserting his dominance as the son of the richest and most powerful man in the area by leading a gang in the assault of a nonconformist.

And no, I don't think I want to read your Romney biography.

Romney probably commissioned it.
  • Cap Lee 2012/05/26 05:05:26
    Cap
    I don't think you've given a fair picture of what Romney did in the incident which you cite. As the LA Times article said, the interview with Sean Hanritty from which you've lifted the quote was part of an effort on Romney's part to dissuade anti-Obama forces from turning the election into a fight over sound bites sliming each candidate with misrepresentations about their religion into a contest offering more a substantive presentation of the differences between the candidates. Romney's reference to Obama's relationship with Wright wasn't so much a condemnation of that relationship as it was a statement that Romney was by no means convinced that references to Wright meaningfully related to Obama's candidacy. It wasn't Romney's place to opine as to how much Obama listened to Wright, which would have been a continuation of the "gotcha" type of discussion, rather, Romney said that his perception of Obama was that Obama is a secularist, and that that enforced type of secularism - the kind that Liberals so stridently push here on SH - is something that he, Romney, is against. That's a very legitimate point, IMHO.

In other words, your comment "I'm not sure which is worse either ..." is exactly on point, but not in the snarky way you meant it. Romney is saying that, if Obama wa...

In other words, your comment "I'm not sure which is worse either ..." is exactly on point, but not in the snarky way you meant it. Romney is saying that, if Obama wants to continue to toe dance around exactly what the relationship between him and Wright was, he's welcome to do so, but Romney believes that what Obama stands for is secularism, and he wants it clearly understood that he feels differently about that than Obama. You think that's unfair? I don't think so. I think that's exactly what you think the case is. Why can't you accept that openly and let voters decide whose approach they're more comfortable with?

AS for the rest of your claptrap about Mormonism, go kick around SH for a half hour or so and find some stuff about Obama being a Communist Revolutionary. Your reaction to that should pretty fully inform you as to the reaction most rational people will have to your Joseph Smith/Brigham Young presentation. If you still want to continue with it, though, feel free, we're on opposite sides of the fence and I'm sufficiently confident in the fair mindedness of the electorate that you'll be offending many more people than you'll be convincing.
  • Lee Cap 2012/05/26 13:42:21
    Lee
    I see.

In other words, you're a Romney apologist.

But unfortunately for you and him, the facts are still facts . . . No matter how you try to whitewash them.
  • Cap Lee 2012/05/26 17:09:17
    Cap
    As to your anti-Mormon claptrap, I'm no apologist, I'm merely not a bigot.

As to the balance of my comment regarding your charge that Romney's appearance on Hanratty's show constituted an "attempt to hold Obama up to ridicule for his religion", an instance I'm going to characterize as the "sole instance" until and unless you supplement what you've said, I've explained my perception of the incident you alleged, and I'm content for people to review your characterization and mine and draw their own conclusions.

As for whitewash, Romney has indicated he doesn't wish this campaign to be diverted into a negative focus on Obama's engagement in racial politics and his relationship with Reverend Wright and I'm willing to abide his wishes. If you, however, truly have a penchant for examining "whitewash", let's go back and discuss Obama's March 18, 2008 speech about his own white grandmother and his ongoing relationship with Wright, a speech that made Nixon's "Checkers" speech look like a scholarly scientific presentation.
  • Lee Cap 2012/05/27 03:55:04 (edited)
    Lee
    Or maybe you're merely not not a bigot.

What "anti-Mormon claptrap."

I merely pointing out that any Mormon who ridicules Obama on the basis of what one of his Church Leaders has said or done has very little room to criticize.

Does that not make sense to you?

Nothing I've said about the Mormons or the actions of their leadership are at all untrue.

Whereas the Reverend Wright ridiculed America, Mormon Leaders actually ordered the murder of Americans and systematically engaged in war against America.

Obama is no more defined by the actions of Reverend Wright than Mormons are defined by the Mountain Meadows massacre.

Or do you disagree?. . . And if so . . . Why ??

By the way, your boy Romney is really just a punk, and the perverse and twisted Modern Republican Party (the Latter Day Republicans) has as much in common with the Party of Lincoln as Saint Romney has in common with a Real Saint.
  • Cap Lee 2012/05/27 06:00:09
    Cap
    Are you really interested in further discussion?

It really doesn't seem so. What in our discussion serves as a basis for you to suggest that I am "not not a bigot"?

My use of the term "anti-Mormon claptrap" refers to your reference to what, I assume, is mostly historical material pertaining to the Mormon Church circa 1830-1890 by the term "whacked-out behavior". You seem to have expanded that reference, albeit not improved upon it, in your exchanges with other people in this thread. Your references are strikingly pejorative and one-sided. They are not, however, untrue, and, if you can find one word I said suggesting that they were, show me; else let your argumentative posture as to the factual accuracy of your cited factoids sit there as demonstrative of the truly puerile mode of discussion you seem to relish.

As for your invitation for further discussion, where did I suggest that President Obama was "defined by the actions of Reverend Wright"? I would interpret what I said as being pretty much the opposite. If i haven't conveyed the idea that I think - and I think Mitt Romney thinks - that Barack Obama is essentially a secular person, I apologize, for it certainly was my intention to do so.

I invited you to discuss the term "whitewash" in the context of Romney/Obama; you s...

I invited you to discuss the term "whitewash" in the context of Romney/Obama; you seem not to want to do so; that's fine, I think we both really have said our piece in that regard. You have expressed an interest in comparing certain events in Mormon history with Obama's relationship with Reverend Wright; I'd just as soon not. Although you're entitled to your characterization of 19th Century Mormonism, I find your characterization ridiculously biased, which would be reason enough not to take up your discussion, but, also, I find the events of over 150 years ago, all of whose participants are long dead and buried, not particularly relevant - even as a point of comparison - to the relationship between two men which existed in its entirety during my adult lifetime. But even that is not the reason to discuss what you want to discuss. Romney seemingly wants to remove the discussion of which candidate loves his church more from partisan discussions; he'd rather discuss the issue of the degree of religious activity that can be permitted in governmental activities. I think that's praiseworthy, since I really think that is an issue people rightfully care about. But you don't really want to seem to talk about that either. So, as I said at the outset, I really see little point in further conversation, any questions I may have stated in passing above notwithstanding.
  • Lee Cap 2012/05/27 14:28:55 (edited)
    Lee
    Of Reverend Wright, you said:. "That man is so racist and hateful but you people chose to ignore it and give Obama a pass on it."

Ok then, let's not give Obama a pass on it. And by the same token, let's not give Romney a pass on his religious affiliation either.

Since you obviously believe that Obama should be held accountable for the actions of his Church's leaders, then Romney should be held accountable for the actions of his Church's leadership as well.

No, I don't have to stick to the 19th century to find all kinds of questionable church practices within the LDS faith. And it looks to me that Romney's character has been greatly influenced by his Church.

Mitt the Carp's propensity for flip-flopping, for example, is startlingly apparent in what LDS leadership refers to as "revelation."

Polygamy was in, until it was "revealed" by God that polygamy was out. Of course, the many Mormon sub-cults would disagree on that one. Racism was in as well, until it was revealed by God to Church patriarchs that racism is out. And that was as recent as 1978, wasn't it?

Apparently Saint Romney thinks of himself as being quite godlike in all his flip-flopping.

My God, by the way, does NOT emulate a dying carp.

And then there is the Mormon propensity for covering up and denying ...

And then there is the Mormon propensity for covering up and denying embarrassing facts . . . . Which of course is extremely consistent with Republican standard operating procedure. I find the Mark Hoffman “White Salamander” incident extremely apropos as well as fascinating.

Mark Hoffman forged a document that was extremely embarrassing to the LDS Church. That document was believed by LDS leadership to be authentic, and their response was to do what? They paid big bucks and bought it from the forger to keep it out of circulation. (And then things kind of blew up in their faces, but that's another story.)

Is this the sort of forthrightness we can expect from Saint Romney when or if he becomes President?

I agree with you Cap, we certainly should not give our leaders "a pass" on their religious affiliations.
  • gr8punkin 2012/05/18 13:38:55
    YAY! [explain].
    gr8punkin
    +2
    He get's to take the high road, he is being supportive of religion, and the attention has still been brought back to Jeremiah Wright. This whole thing has been a positive for Romney.
  • Rebel Yell 2012/05/18 12:56:07
    YAY! [explain].
    Rebel Yell
    +1
    Smart man. Because if Romney goes after Wright, Obama will certainly bring up Mormonism. 1 in 5 believe it is a cult, and he will capitalize on that and Romney knows it. He doesn't want to explain "temple garments".... or Mormon Magic Underwear.
  • Lee Rebel Yell 2012/05/22 10:28:11 (edited)
    Lee
    . . . Or the Mountain Meadows massacre.

. . . Or Brighams Young's prophecy that that the North and the South would wipe each other out in the Civil War and allow the Great Mormon Nation of Deseret to spread across the Western Hemisphere.

. . . And all the other weird anti-American Mormon bull sh*t spouted by their so-called prophets.
  • gvc 2012/05/18 05:09:11
    YAY! [explain].
    gvc
    +2
    People are sick of the mud slinging. Focus on the real issues!!
  • Lee gvc 2012/05/22 10:29:18
    Lee
    Yes, we need to focus on the fact that Republicans will only cause more damage to this nation if given half a chance.
  • gvc Lee 2012/05/22 14:40:16
    gvc
    You can focus on nonsense I am sure you are skilled at that, and the rest of us will focus on actual problems.
  • Lee gvc 2012/05/22 14:45:32
    Lee
    Well let's hear it then.

Let's hear about a pressing problem.

What are the causes in your opinion?

And what possible solutions do you advance?

Or haven't your really thought about it?

. . .That's what I thought.

Just another Right Wing Blow Hole.
  • gvc Lee 2012/05/22 16:52:30
    gvc
    It is customary to ask a question and wait for an answer, in most circles this is called courtesy, something no doubt you know NOTHING about.

Let me dumb this down for you since you are a Liberal and lack reasoning skills.

It's the ECONOMY STUPID.
  • Lee gvc 2012/05/22 23:37:21
    Lee
    Well you made it half way.

You identified a problem.

But, i asked you what solutions you recommend.

I see that threw you.

. . . No surprise there.

lol
  • gvc Lee 2012/05/23 00:37:38
    gvc
    You want solutions troll!

For starters we will be dumping Obama and his ilk in November....that should greatly improve our recovery.

You're an idiot, and rude, hardly a winning combination.
  • Lee gvc 2012/05/23 01:19:44 (edited)
    Lee
    Ah there we go . . . When some weak-minded, Right Wing Nut Job piece of garbage finally realizes it has NOTHING to back up its ridiculous claims, out come the troll accusations.

It's not my fault you're stupid gvc.

Blame your parents, not me.

I see you still haven't come up with any solutions at all.

. . . No surprise there.
  • gvc Lee 2012/05/23 01:25:16
    gvc
    You are a classic Liberal POS Troll!!!

First of all genius, I am a woman. If you think I am weak minded you underestimate me. However, that is a good thing, you will never see the end coming for your insane party! Keep up the good work!

I gave you a solution, apparently reading comprehension is not your best event. NOT SURPRISED.

Take your medication, or ease up on the booze loser!
  • Flamingo Flame Gem *AFCL* 2012/05/18 03:57:14
    YAY! [explain].
    Flamingo Flame Gem *AFCL*
    +2
    He's on the right track...The economy is the #1 priority....not the continued failed stimulus Obama keeps pushing.
  • Chi~Cat 2012/05/18 03:36:31
    YAY! [explain].
    Chi~Cat
    +2
    Romney doesn't need to, Oblunder did it himself by throwing Wright under the bus.
  • Cliff 2012/05/18 00:30:05 (edited)
    YAY! [explain].
    Cliff
    +5
    Why bring out the stinking garbage from 4 years ago when there is plenty of fresh new garbage to talk about?
  • Flaming... Cliff 2012/05/18 03:57:51
  • Brian 2012/05/18 00:12:50
    NAY! [explain].
    Brian
    Romney is starting to look and sound more and more like McCain every damn day, pull the damn gloves off Romney, we need someone who isn't afraid to get dirty in a slug fest.
  • tncdel Brian 2012/05/18 00:48:45
    tncdel
    +3
    Romney, unlike McCain, has taken a strong stand against "same-sex marriage," illegal aliens, abortion and other things that Obama advocates. Among other things, McCain and Obama are both rated an F minus on immigration by NumbersUSA. Romney a B minus.

Ron Paul is closer to McCain and Obama when it comes to illegal immigration and being soft on Islamic encroachment. See:
    https://www.numbersusa.com/co...
  • Lee tncdel 2012/05/22 10:33:11
    Lee
    Romney flip flops more than a dying carp.

Mitt the Carp Romney routinely takes strong stands against his previous stands.
  • DJPanicDC 2012/05/17 23:50:52
    YAY! [explain].
    DJPanicDC
    +1
    Now he gets to look like a good guy secure in the knowledge that Hannity, Rush and the rest of the right wing talking heads will get the message out for free
    win win for him
  • tncdel DJPanicDC 2012/05/18 00:50:53
    tncdel
    +2
    But what does Obama do at debate time when the focus will be on the economy and his lousy record, not high school pranks of a racist black preacher?

He will be lost especially because during a debate teleprompters aren't allowed. :)~
  • snipe 2012/05/17 23:46:44
    NAY! [explain].
    snipe
    I see that Mitt McCain has evolved!
    mitt mccain
  • tncdel snipe 2012/05/18 00:52:41
    tncdel
    +1
    Nah! McCain is a lot closer to Obama than is Romney. Among other things, McCain and Obama are both rated an F minus on illegal immigration by NumbersUSA. Romney a B minus. See:
    https://www.numbersusa.com/co...
  • snipe tncdel 2012/05/18 02:55:31
    snipe
    obama plays dirty and Romney better get as dirty as he did in the Primaries or the only speech he'll give in Nov is a concession speech.
  • Balladeer-PWCM-POTL 2012/05/17 23:31:56
    YAY! [explain].
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    +3
    'It's the Economy, Stupid"...and we need to concentrate on the economy and obama's collusion with our enemies abroad
  • TheTruth1313 2012/05/17 23:20:36
    YAY! [explain].
    TheTruth1313
    +3
    Shows that Romney has some scruples and that is something to be looked upon positively. We already know that Obama possesses no scruples what so ever.
    YAY! [explain].
    +3
    You have to be proud of him because he's not lowering himself to Democratic levels and wants to focus on the real issues that affect all American, even Obamabots.
  • frank 2012/05/17 22:03:47
    NAY! [explain].
    frank
    +2
    Omama is going to use every dirty trick in the book and then some so it would be fare to return the favor. That was one thing Bush never did.

2014/09/02 17:39:11