Romney Paid $1.9M Taxes. Harry Reid Avoids Prior Claims: Who Won Tax Return Scuffle?

Fef 2012/09/22 00:50:21
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) claimed Romney didn't pay taxes. Well, Romney did pay taxes -- and he paid a lot of taxes. Romney paid $1.9 million in taxes -- Romney voluntarily paid more than required by IRS law.

POLITICALTICKER.BLOGS.CNN.COM reports:
(CNN) - Sen. Harry Reid said nothing of his earlier claims that Mitt Romney had not paid taxes over a ten-year span in a Friday statement joining Democrats in responding to Romney's release of tax-related documents on Friday.

friday statement joining democrats responding romneys release tax-related documents friday

Read More: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/21/re...

• Daryl 2012/09/22 02:46:04
    Romney
    Daryl
    +12
    Harry Reid is the second most powerful Democrat in the USA.

Harry Reid is a lying scum bag that will say almost anything to promote his depraved political party.

Democrats should be ashamed to be represented by such a filthy human being.

• Rod Mary Va... 2012/09/24 13:45:07
    Rod
    +1
    Harry Reid doesn't "have" to give 10% to his church. He is asked to give it. Many churches may ask their members to give 10% but I don't know of one that requires it. Show me one person that has been kicked out of their church because they didn't pay their 10%.
  • Joe 2012/09/22 01:58:29
    Reid
    Joe
    +7
    Romney has not released 10 yrs of tax returns so we don't really know. ;)

Anyway, Harry was just keeping the issue out there, which is a fair tactic.

Today, Romney released a dishonest 2011 return to make himself look better.
    More lies, distortion, and misrepresentation.
  • Stryder Joe 2012/09/22 02:49:40
    Stryder
    +5
    Give it up. The Dems have stepped in it again.
  • Joe Stryder 2012/09/22 14:30:07
    Joe
    +2
    There are many ways to manipulate taxes. There is a bigger story here, believe it!

Regarding the 2011 tax information released, the reason that he did not take all of the deductions he deserved was that it would have reduced his effective tax rate and made him look bad. God knows what the previous decade of tax returns would show.
    All smoke and mirrors like the rest of the Romney campaign.
  • Mary Va... Joe 2012/09/22 19:04:12
    Mary Vaughn
    +1
    Keep it up Joe . Maybe one day these people will realize that Romney was talking about a big portion of them also. They do not realize just because they pay payroll taxes to the Republicans this is not the same as paying taxes.
  • Flaming... Mary Va... 2012/09/23 03:07:13
    Flamingo Flame Gem *AFCL*
    +1
    You are only 5% correct and you certainly need an education on how the tax system works. Corporate taxes pay by the MITA( Monthly income tax allowance) . Tax deductions in corporations are allowed to generate and preserve business which in fact employs millions of American Workers. Corporations Pay 25% on profit margin and 15% on investment margins to expand business, and create jobs.
    At the end of the year if corporations overpaid the gov't they don't owe any more taxes and are allowed credit.
    When i file my taxes, if i over paid the gov't i'm given credit call a refund on my personal which i only get a small refund after paying thousands of dollars. But on business expenses i can only claim deductions to adjust the gross of business income. The remaining profit income is taxed at the 25% rate.
    Those who pay taxes thru payroll that are low income with dependents, those who work part time and get welfare for children get a tax refund which i believe since they get wefare for their kids they should not be entittled to a refund, and the middle class with dependents are given tax credits as well, but some in this group may or may not get a refund base on the adjusted gross.
    Oh by the way Romney is wrong about the 47%.......It is 70% of Americans who owe no federal taxes. ......Dam if i ran for president. You liberals will be tearing your hair out if i ever mentioned 70%
  • Flaming... Mary Va... 2012/09/23 03:11:48
    Flamingo Flame Gem *AFCL*
    +1
    So where does the 70% figure amount too?
    Low income with dependents.
    Seniors on Social Security
    College students
    Disabled, Handicapped
    Unemployed workers,
    the Welfare abuses who abuse the system for many years. Not those who at some point need it for valid reasonl
    Illegal aliens
    Others with Low Taxable incomes.

Let the battle begin !
  • Petrifi... Flaming... 2012/09/23 06:33:43
    PetrifiedElephantPoop
    How do these illegal aliens that you speak of...get a refund without a SS#?
  • Mary Va... Stryder 2012/09/22 18:58:23
    Mary Vaughn
    +1
    Give it up you neocons your guy just insulted almost half of the American people. You smell of DESPERATION.
  • Stryder Mary Va... 2012/09/22 19:31:39
    Stryder
    +2
    He's right. I know it. You know it. America knows it. In reality, it's you on the left who are the desperate ones. Look at the administration's attempt to suppress Obama's redistribution speech that's going viral on the web. Can't wait for the debates.
  • Mary Va... Stryder 2012/09/22 20:39:07
    Mary Vaughn
    You moron he wasn't talking about the redistribution of money he was talking about making sure that government programs were distributed fairly.
  • Jenn Mary Va... 2012/09/23 16:48:28
    Jenn
    You are the moron here..You're quoting the bible and yet calling people moron's. You are such a hypocrite. Stryder is exactly right about the redistribution of wealth it appears that everyone is well aware of this fact, except you !.
  • Flaming... Stryder 2012/09/23 03:22:34
    Flamingo Flame Gem *AFCL*
    +1
    See my response to Mary Va above
  • Petrifi... Stryder 2012/09/23 06:35:30
    PetrifiedElephantPoop
    Funny how the right continues to talk about redistribution....Now that is the debate we should be having....As the money is really being redistributed to the wealthiest among us...which include Mitt Romney.
  • Flaming... Mary Va... 2012/09/23 03:21:57
    Flamingo Flame Gem *AFCL*
    Really, your are in dire neeed of a rude awakening see my response to you above.
  • Oaces_b... Mary Va... 2012/09/23 14:02:16
  • Oaces_b... Stryder 2012/09/23 14:00:01
  • Jenn Joe 2012/09/22 03:00:10
    Jenn
    +3
    Joe..give it up.
  • joseph ... Jenn 2012/09/22 04:53:49
  • Jenn joseph ... 2012/09/22 06:04:33 (edited)
    Jenn
    +3
    Who are you calling punk ? I am a lady, and have you not read the rules here on SH ?The so-called birth certificates that you are referring to has been proven to be a fraud ! They are all makeovers.! Obama had all his college records sealed,that is a fact.Now Romney needs to tell Obama to present all his college records along with all his taxes to him and the American people ! Then we will all find out who the crook is ! huh ? Sodahead Rules
  • joseph ... Jenn 2012/09/22 06:13:38
  • Jenn joseph ... 2012/09/22 08:16:43
    Jenn
    +3
    Since you don't care who is in charge of this country,means you care nothing about this country..and I cannot change stoopid.The supreme court has told nothing of the sort.Obama's birth certificate is a fraud, that has been examined by experts,several experts. It has been proven that its fraudulent. but since Obama and his entire administration are above the law..just who do you go to with a thing like this..just look at what they have passed..a healthcare bill that was so unconstitutional that it had to be passed through as a tax,in order to get it passed..
    As of January 1,2013 this country will see the biggest tax hike in history.
    which will trickle down into disasterous consequences.
    As far as you're concerned you deserve all the hardships that this president will create with his failed policies..but the true American citizen does not deserve such a fate,I will be praying on their behalf..
    I do remember you from previous run- in's and I am sorry that you feel the way you do..I just now remembered...
    This country is the most important thing to me,other than my family.I just hate to see such a great country fall.I can't imagine anyone feeling any differently.
    However..where I am different from most here is..I feel that Obama has not failed,Obama has done exactly what he sat out to...

However..where I am different from most here is..I feel that Obama has not failed,Obama has done exactly what he sat out to do when he took office.
    And that was to downsize America,and whats so sad,its already starting to work,but it will take the second term,to finish this great country off.
    Its really ashame for someone who lives in this country,and enjoys it's freedoms,would be partly responsible for its demise..
  • 9th of 9 Jenn 2012/09/22 12:08:20
    9th of 9
    Now if we can only get you to believe that it took more than 3 1/2 years to do it and it is not going to stop in the near future unless we *relieve* ourselves of the "one party" system.
    I too, understood Obama completely when he said he would Fundamentally Transform America. And yes, it sickens me to the core that our beloved Nation will soon fold into the collective. Sad day indeed. Keep our family close and hold on tight, this will be one trying time over the next few years.
  • joseph ... Jenn 2012/09/22 15:02:33
  • Jenn joseph ... 2012/09/22 16:14:31 (edited)
    Jenn
    +1
    The supreme court you say.?.the ones that Obama has in his hip pocket..The people Obama actually threatened if they didn't pass the healthcare bill..The ones that knew that the healthcare bill was unconstitutional but passed it any way, lol..oh my,such law abiders that we have here.
    The American people knew that it was unconstitutional,the ones that was familar with the constitution..I would not put much confidence in our supreme court justices after what they pulled off..
    The birth certificate is fraudulent and it will come out eventually..
    The statement that you made about Obama killing Bin Laden..do you want to retrack that statement ?..Are you serious ? I hate to burst your bubble you idiot..but Obama had nothing to do with killing of Bin Laden..Our brave navy seals risk their lives to kill Osama Bin Laden..How dare you give that idiot the credit for that. !!! Are you nuts ? or did you just say that out of pure ignorance..
    The biggest majority of the American people are struggling because of our economy,and if you're not,you are one of the very few fortunate ones,so get down on your knees and thank God almighty..
  • joseph ... Jenn 2012/09/22 23:18:41
  • Mary Va... Jenn 2012/09/22 19:17:45
    Mary Vaughn
    +1
    You people are so uninformed as to who is going to raise your taxes . Romney and Ryan intends to pay for the trillions of dollars in tax cuts to the wealthy by cutting your deductions like cchildcre credits or mortgage interest and most likely medical bills. We know for sure they intend to steal the 2.7 trillion dollars in the SS fund and offer us old people a coupon to go buy our insurance from a private insurance Co. A 65 or 70 year old person with any pre-existing condition goes into an insurance company and asks for a policy with a lousy $6,000 coupon and they will be laughed out of the office. You people care about this country and vote Republican are nothing more than a bunch of hypocrits who are bringing this county to it's knees simply because most of you hate a black man. It was the Repoublicans who just day before yesterday filibustered a bill that was alreaqdy paid for which would have helped find jobs for our returning vets. Shame on you bunch of hate-filled unpatriotic people who will sit back and allow our children to die foir you and refuse to help them when they return. Don't make me laugh that you care abouyt your country you don't even care about your children because you want to allow the corporations to be deregulated so much that they destroy the planet for future generations.
  • Flaming... Mary Va... 2012/09/23 03:30:18
    Flamingo Flame Gem *AFCL*
    You bunch of people....Hypocrites....Now really, how is this for reality Your Precious Messiah Obama cut $ 700 billion dollars from medicare when he implemented the hell care coverage doom Obama care . So if you are more concern about ROmney and Ryan...Obama just put you in and every medicare receipient in harms way....Wonder why some of your benefits in health care were removed, just to ask your Messiah Obama whom you worship.
  • Petrifi... Flaming... 2012/09/23 06:44:46
    PetrifiedElephantPoop
    The 700 billion cut is not on people who receive medicare. The cut is savings through waste fraud and duplication. So you'd rather the elderly get a coupon. It's not about worship...it's about the facts...which you seem to be pretty lean on.
  • Oaces_b... Mary Va... 2012/09/23 14:10:03
  • Mary Va... Jenn 2012/09/22 19:21:39
    Mary Vaughn
    +1
    My God you people have such short attention spans. Bush/Cheney ruined this country and put us into this situation. Illegal wars the killing of citizens in a country who did nothing to us. Why don't you tell all of those people who have no insurance that they should just go ahead and die . You need to put your pointed hat back on so that the rest of us know who you really worship.
  • Mary Va... Jenn 2012/09/22 19:08:16
    Mary Vaughn
    +1
    You birthers are so lame. Romney's dad was born in Mexico. McCain was born in Panama. Because Their parent or parents were US citizens living in another country they are still considered US CITIZENS. Obama's mother is a US citizen so even if your delusions of him being born in Kenya are true that still makes him a US citizen because his Mother is the one who gave birth.
  • Flaming... Mary Va... 2012/09/23 03:34:31
    Flamingo Flame Gem *AFCL*
    +1
    There is no surprise to that. Even Romney has mentioned it publicly regarding his father. The difference is between being up front. Obama has paid millions to seal his past. You should be more concerned about Obama who has a lot to hide. mitt romney

GO MITT ROMNEY.....2012
  • Joe Jenn 2012/09/22 14:31:03
    Joe
    +1
    Hi Jenn---see my reply to Stryder.
  • Jenn Joe 2012/09/22 15:18:38 (edited)
    Jenn
    +1
    I really find it very amusing that you people keep calling us birthers because we keep bringing up Obama's fraudulent birth certificate, Romney has presented his taxes and you people will not let that alone either..You cannot have it both ways here..He has done what was ask of him,and they have checked them,and are satisfied with them..So deal with it,as you people tell us to do..!
    Now you have Romney manipulating his taxes..Oh come on..LOL. Obama needs to present his college records next..and I hope that Romey brings that out,.that would crack me up,because thats not going to happen...
  • Mary Va... Jenn 2012/09/22 19:27:38
    Mary Vaughn
    +1
    Hey Jenn read the above post about who is an American citizen. Where were you birthers when McCain was running he was born in Panama. Mitt's dad was born in Mexico where is his Dad's birth certificate. My understanding is that when Grandpa left the US that Utah was still a teritory. In my opinion all of you birthers are racist and a shame on this county. You bring shame on us in front of other countries with your disregard for a sitting President.
  • Oaces_b... Mary Va... 2012/09/23 15:28:34
  • Oaces_b... Jenn 2012/09/23 14:39:06
  • Q Joe 2012/09/22 03:32:25
    Q
    +5
    His own trustee admitted that he only claimed 2.5 of his 4 million in charitable deductions so he would be able to stay true to his previous statement that he paid at least a 13% tax rate in the years in question.

That sounds like a manipulation to me...
  • Patriotic Q 2012/09/22 04:09:00
    Patriotic
    +5
    They have the facts, but refuse to acknowledge what his own trustee said. Typical...

2014/09/19 15:52:38