Romney Economics

Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET 2012/07/05 14:20:27
Obama and Romney are the same
Obama is a bit better
Romney is a bit better
Other

Before I hear a bunch of whining Far Rightwing Conservatives; I'm not for Obama either and have already done a post on his failing economic policies.

http://www.barackobama.com/romney/economics/ma-record/ma-reco...

Mitt Romney ran for governor of Massachusetts promising more jobs, decreased debt, and smaller government.

Here’s what Massachusetts got instead:

Watch the video to see why Romney economics didn't work then, and won't work now:

The U.S. economy was growing in 2001 and creating jobs by July 2003. Romney served during a nationwide economic expansion, and when he took office Massachusetts’ unemployment rate had been below the national average for nearly a decade.

But the recovery was slower in Massachusetts: Under Romney, the economy was not at the top or even in the middle, but close to the bottom of all the states. The state lost jobs through the end of 2003, lagging behind the rest of the country by six months. And by the time he left office, the state’s unemployment rate was above the national average.

“As Mitt Romney pursues his bid for the presidency, his record as Massachusetts governor will come under scrutiny, including how the state’s economy performed during his administration. Our analysis reveals a weak comparative economic performance of the state over the Romney years, one of the worst in the country.”

Stagnant job growth:
During Governor Romney’s term, Massachusetts fell from 36th to 47th out of 50 states in job creation, while the overall U.S. economy grew. Of the jobs that were created in Massachusetts, state government jobs grew at six times the rate of private sector jobs.

—ANDREW SUM AND JOSEPH MCLAUGHLIN, CENTER FOR LABOR MARKET STUDIES AT NORTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY
BOSTON GLOBE, 7/29/07

Declining manufacturing:
By the end of Governor Romney’s term, Massachusetts had lost more than 40,000 manufacturing jobs—a rate twice the national average.

Higher taxes:
Gove
When he talks about a turnaround, we really haven’t had a turnaround.
—Michael Widmer, president of the nonpartisan Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation
New York Times, 3/16/07

Mitt Romney promised to bring his experience from the corporate boardroom to Massachusetts, the same promise he’s making now as a presidential candidate. But Romney economics isn’t about creating jobs or helping the middle class. By the time Romney left office, state debt had increased, the size of government had grown, and Massachusetts had fallen behind almost every other state in job creation.

• Tink123 2012/07/05 15:55:25 (edited)
    Obama and Romney are the same
    Tink123
    +8
    Heaven forbid we ever have a president that's actually had to use their own two hands to produce something of value in order to get where they were. Anyone, and I do mean anyone, can become wealthy by playing games with peoples *lives. It's not hard to do. In fact it's the single easiest way to make money.

There are very few people left in the world that actually produce something of value. And those that do aren't about to sit and be lectured by those that don't. How can politicians who've never taken responsibility for so much as their words, ever understand that? They can't, and that's why our economy is failing.

• Boris D. Latti I... 2012/07/06 13:50:57 (edited)
    Boris D.
    +1
    As I said at the beginning of our thread - figures lie and liars figure.

If you would have read my posts you would see that he brought them from last in the nation in job growth in the beginning of his term, to 30th. Quite an accomplishment.

Your job growth statistic averages his whole term, which is deliberately misleading, and why the rest of your stats from "politifact" are dubious as well.
    politifact bias
  • Latti I... Boris D. 2012/07/06 13:54:16
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    You can believe whatever you want; the fact is Romney's history, statements and record speaks for itself.
  • Boris D. Latti I... 2012/07/06 14:03:04
    Boris D.
    Yes it does.
    Like how he brought his state from a huge budget deficit created by the Massachusetts liberals to a 2 billion dollar rainy day fund and a 500 milion dollar budget surplus.
    All in one short term as governor.
    You gotta admit, that is pretty impressive.
  • Bearish... Boris D. 2012/07/07 00:47:47
    Bearish~PWCM~
    That is when I had enough of MA and started looking North..
  • Latti I... Boris D. 2012/07/05 15:13:20
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    http://libertycounselaction.o...

"But let’s take the letter writer at his word that Romney’s business experience will make him a good conservative president. How did his business experience help him govern Massachusetts? And did he govern as a conservative? For the last five years Romney and his supporters have cultivated an image of Romney as a fiscal superstar and who ran a very tight ship as Governor of Massachusetts. Indeed, the letter writer claims Governor Romney “turned a $3 billion deficit into a nearly $1 billion surplus, without raising taxes.” But that statement is simply not true. The reality is that Romney’s tenure as Massachusetts governor was an economic disaster for the state."
  • Ozzyboy Boris D. 2012/07/05 15:46:41
    Ozzyboy
    Boris, Latrice is known for ignoring figures that don't agree with whatever she is pushing for the day. She claims to not like 0 but pulls out selective numbers that slam Romney. I can't help but wonder who she thinks would make a good president in 2012.
  • Latti I... Ozzyboy 2012/07/05 15:47:55
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    Facts are facts; now you're following me around, because I proved your points last time to be a fallacy. Get over it.
  • mich52 Ozzyboy 2012/07/05 16:01:16
  • Boris D. Ozzyboy 2012/07/05 18:28:18
    Boris D.
    You need to reread my post. I was not slamming Romney, I was supporting him.
    Romney has been my choice since 2008.
  • Lee Boris D. 2012/07/14 23:44:37
    Lee
    Mighty M*tt is full of Sh*t
  • Latti I... Jackie ... 2012/07/05 14:51:06
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    Not true; he was a Liberal governor by Conservative standards, that is the truth.
  • Jackie ... Latti I... 2012/07/05 14:55:03
    +3
    He was a Gov of a liberal state and he did listen to the people of the state - that is what I expect of a leader, that they listen to the people who voted for them. Some conservatives attack him for not doing what they think is correct; he did represent the people of his state and that is to his credit.

We have a president now who ignores the people, does what he thinks they should want and lies about it in the bargain. I prefer something different
  • Latti I... Jackie ... 2012/07/05 14:57:10
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    Now you're just making excuses Jackie.

http://www.politifact.com/tru...
  • Jackie ... Latti I... 2012/07/05 14:59:08
    +1
    No, I am not, I have no need of excuses - There is only one choice for president --- Romney

romney
  • Latti I... Jackie ... 2012/07/05 15:05:12
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    Yes you are making excuses; in 2002 he was a Liberal across the board on economics and social. Now you guys want to try and paint a different picture.
  • Jackie ... Latti I... 2012/07/05 15:16:47
    +2
    Not me, I, after extensive research, find his background excellent and find that his positives far out weigh any negatives.

You are apparently under the mistaken idea that I find his positions objectionable on small points - I don't. I appreciate that he has changed his position on some things, I appreciate his ability to work with even the most liberal lions, I appreciate that he has conservative views, moderate views and liberal views on different issues and I appreciate that he is able to listen to all arguments before making decisions; that he invites diverse opinions. Excellent man for the job.

I am an intelligent informed voter who does not respond to labels. You will do better attacking hard nosed ideologues (like the Obama and his progressives for example) - they are so trapped in their ideology that they do not think.

Have a great day
  • Latti I... Jackie ... 2012/07/05 15:19:47
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    http://libertycounselaction.o...

Not true about his record; it was horrid, but if that is what you wish to believe Jackie, then so be it.

Enjoy your day as well.
  • Jackie ... Latti I... 2012/07/05 15:28:44
    You quote an opinion of a letter as fact - that is a stretch at best.

I have done the research, I know the facts - which is precisely why he has my vote.
  • Latti I... Jackie ... 2012/07/05 15:35:12
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    I've given you three other links with facts you refuse to believe; that isn't on me, and if you did do your research you would know Romney is a flip flopper.
  • Jackie ... Latti I... 2012/07/05 22:34:35 (edited)
    My dear - I would really be careful with that nonsense.

Obama - wrong to have a mandate, right to have a mandate, its a tax, its a penalty, its a tax and per his personal attorney before the court, it is a tax and has never been anything else, Supreme Court agreed - it is a tax, Jarrett said it is a tax and now, and today - he says it is not a tax. He lied and lied and lied and, unfortunately we believed him. That is our fault and we can recover by throwing the LIAR out of the WH along with his minions.

This is but one topic - one could get dizzy listening to him more that 2 minutes.

So save it - I will vote for Romney - there is no one better.
  • Latti I... Jackie ... 2012/07/05 22:38:10
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    Why every time people point out the wrongs of Romney they automatically go to Obama? Obama is wrong, he is corrupt; now back to Romney. You can vote for who ever you want, just don't be surprise if you get the same results. I hope you are right, and I wish it was true, but it's not.

I'll agree to disagree.
  • Ozzyboy Jackie ... 2012/07/05 15:47:47
    Ozzyboy
    +1
    Jackie, Latrice is known for ignoring figures that don't agree with whatever she is pushing for the day. She claims to not like 0 but pulls out selective numbers that slam Romney. I can't help but wonder who she thinks would make a good president in 2012.
  • Latti I... Ozzyboy 2012/07/05 15:48:48
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    Now sense you are repeating yourself I'm going to give you a few minutes of a time out.
  • Jackie ... Ozzyboy 2012/07/05 22:36:42
    +1
    Ozzyboy, from the note, it looks like you may be blocked. Sorry.

The problem with cherry picking information is that it is rarely, if ever, a true picture and I know it and, I suspect, so does she. It actually amounts to lies by omission of all the facts. I am not fooled because I research and remain informed. So not to worry, but thanks for thinking of me.

Jackielg
  • Latti I... Jackie ... 2012/07/05 22:45:24
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    Yeah someone who has been stalker me and claims minorities don't chip in to pay taxes was thinking about you. Sorry to bust your bubble, but he repeated the same thing to two other people on my post and wasn't here to debate on Romney economic policies.

In addition you don't know anything about me, and it isn't my fault you can't face the fact you are voting for another Progressive. Your research much not be all that good if you have to try to spin Romney into a candidate he never was up until he decided to run for president.
  • Jackie ... Latti I... 2012/07/05 22:48:07
    I do not have to spin - I know the facts.

Have a nice afternoon
  • Schläue~© Jackie ... 2012/07/05 15:00:21
    Schläue~©
    +1
    They always overlook that pesky fact that he wasn't operating in a friendly state legislature.
    Compared to what they wanted to do on gun control issues and allowing the state to grow govt. and stay in the red.... he did a pretty damn good job.
  • Jackie ... Schläue~© 2012/07/05 15:03:13
    +1
    Even the health care, he vetoed twice (I think, may have been once) and sent it back for rewrite - He did all he could to temper them and was a success as Gov.
  • Schläue~© Jackie ... 2012/07/05 15:07:18
    Schläue~©
    +1
    They also had the votes to over-ride his vetoes and did so hundreds of times.
  • Latti I... Jackie ... 2012/07/05 15:13:28
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    http://libertycounselaction.o...

• Jackie ... Latti I... 2012/07/05 15:28:59

• Latti I... Jackie ... 2012/07/05 15:35:42
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    Here’s what Massachusetts got instead:

"Jobs: 47th out of 50 states in job creation
    Taxes and fees: Increased by $750 million per year
    Long-term debt: Increased more than $2.6 billion"
  • Jackie ... Latti I... 2012/07/05 22:31:06 (edited)
    Sorry - you are quoting spin, nothing more. 96% of people employed - don't you wish we had numbers like that - who the hell cares where the state rated with that number.
    He ended his service with real surplus money in the bank

I have given you all this information once - you are dwelling on spin and, quite frankly, it is wrong and now boring
  • Latti I... Jackie ... 2012/07/05 22:34:55
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    1. Ranked 47th in job growth: Despite Romney’s professed expertise in creating jobs, Massachusetts ranked 47th in job growth during his time as governor. The state’s total job growth was just 0.9 percent, well behind other high-wage, high-skill economies in New York (2.7), California (4.7), and North Carolina (7.6). The national average, meanwhile, was better than 5 percent.

2. Suffered the second-largest labor force decline in the nation: Only Louisiana, which was ravaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, saw a bigger decline in its labor force than Massachusetts during Romney’s tenure as governor. The US Census Bureau estimated that between July 2002 and July 2006, 222,000 more residents left Massachusetts for other states than came to it. That decline largely explains the state’s decreasing unemployment rate (from 5.6 to 4.7 percent) while Romney was in office, according to Northeastern University economics professor Andrew Sum. At the same time, the nation as a whole added 8 million people to the labor force.

3. Lost 14 percent of its manufacturing jobs: Massachusetts lost 14 percent of its manufacturing jobs during Romney’s time in office, according to Sum. The loss was double the rate that the nation as a whole lost manufacturing jobs. In 2004, Romney vetoed legislation that w...

3. Lost 14 percent of its manufacturing jobs: Massachusetts lost 14 percent of its manufacturing jobs during Romney’s time in office, according to Sum. The loss was double the rate that the nation as a whole lost manufacturing jobs. In 2004, Romney vetoed legislation that would have banned companies doing business with the state from outsourcing jobs to other countries.

4. Experienced “below average” economic growth and was “often near the bottom”: “There was not one measure where the state did well under his term in office. We were below average and often near the bottom,” Sum told the Washington Post in February. As a result, the state was more comparable to Rust Belt states like Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio than it was to other high-tech economies it typically competes with.

5. Piled on more debt than any other state: Romney left Massachusetts residents with $10,504 in per capita bond debt, the highest of any state in the nation when he left office in 2007. The state ranked second in debt as a percentage of personal income. Romney regularly omits those statistics from his Massachusetts record, instead touting the fact that he balanced the state’s budget (he was constitutionally required to do so). He wouldn’t be much different as president: his proposed tax plan adds more than $10 trillion to the national debt.

http://thinkprogress.org/econ...

"A $1 billion budget deficit for the next governor to deal with and saddled Massachusetts taxpayers with more debt per person than any other state."

http://www.examiner.com/artic...

"We found that the Obama campaign’s numbers checked out: Manufacturing jobs did decline at a steeper rate on Romney’s watch than they did nationally. Still, we concluded that it was a stretch to lay at Romney’s feet the decline of manufacturing jobs in Massachusetts. His policies had a relatively small impact compared with the decades-long trend beyond the control of any politician. And the rate of decline under Romney was actually slower than it was before and after he took office. On balance, we rated the claim Half True."

http://www.politifact.com/tru...

This isn't a game and you have your opinion and I have mine. If you want to pretend Romney is something different then let's agree to disagree.
  • Jackie ... Latti I... 2012/07/05 22:46:36
    And your sources are decidedly without integrity - suggest you look for facts not spin.
  • Latti I... Jackie ... 2012/07/05 22:48:53
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    These are facts; spins are when people like to distort a candidate who has proudly been a Progressive and paint him into a Conservative overnight. Now that is a spin.
  • Aurora 2012/07/05 14:41:47
    Romney is a bit better
    Aurora
    +2
    You set yourself up as a fence sitter, but you name call far right wing conservatives, this is why I do not listen to anything you liberals say.
  • Latti I... Aurora 2012/07/05 14:49:35
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    Aurora shut up lol; both are not good for this country.
  • Latti I... Aurora 2012/07/05 15:15:52
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    http://libertycounselaction.o...

2014/10/26 06:09:16