Role of government: what should it be?

Temlakos~POTL~PWCM~JLA~☆ 2012/06/15 17:18:46

It’s official: when we choose a President this fall, we will also
choose a theory on the role of government. The putative President and
the Mayor of New York both said it this week. Voters need to hear and
understand exactly what they said and what this means.

What Obama and Bloomberg said

Yesterday, Barack H. Obama traveled to Cleveland, Ohio. He gave a
rambling and almost petulant speech in this historic “battleground”
State. Mostly he said, “It’s all Bush’s fault,” or something amounting
to that. (Maybe he had read this Gallup Poll. Katie Pavlich has some other numbers that should set that record straight.)

But Obama said one thing worth hearing. The New York Times had two reporters on the ground to hear it:

Your vote will finally determine the path that we take as a nation — not just tomorrow, but for years to come.

In other words, Obama said that you will vote for more than a
President (or to be technical, Presidential Electors). You will vote for
a role of government. You will vote whether government will be your
nanny or your monitor and arbiter.

If you doubt that, Mayor Mike Bloomberg should remove that doubt.
Last week he made a rule that no convenience store, movie candy counter,
etc., could sell you a drink larger than 16 ounces. Soft drink bottlers
then took out a full page ad in the Times showing Bloomberg as “The Nanny.” (Or maybe as the title character in the Robin Williams movie Mrs. Doubtfire.)

What’s next? Limits on the width of a pizza slice, size of a hamburger or amount of cream cheese on your bagel?

Actually, popcorn and milkshakes are next. But Bloomberg brazenly said that he was only doing his job!

If [the role of government] isn’t to improve the health and longevity of its citizens, I don’t know what [that role] is.

The mayor then contradicted himself. He told his TV host that he
didn’t mean to tell people what to do. But he and his Board of Health
are doing just that!

Excuse me, Mr. (putative) President. Excuse me, Mr. Mayor. Obama is half right, and Bloomberg is totally wrong.

The proper role of government
The Constitution. It limits the role of government.

The US Constitution. Photo: National Archives of the United States

To “improve the health and [long life] of its citizens” (and lawful residents) is not the role of government. The Framers of the Constitution
never saw it that way. Nor is the role of government to guarantee you
an income, no matter what Richard A. Cloward and Frances Fox Piven said 56 years ago.

The role of government is to manage force. This role derives from a basic social principle: so long as humans live together, no one may start using force against another. But humans will
start using force, unless some other humans stop them, or deal with
them when they do. That is the proper role of government. That is why we
have government.

But the Progressive movement began with a new view of the role of government. They
first said that government must “improve the health and [long life]” of
those who live under it. And they didn’t stay with the Democratic
Party, or even start there. The first Progressive President was Theodore Roosevelt, a Republican.

So what does the role of government break down to? Three things:

Police

Military

Law courts

And that's it.

But what say you? Is Mayor Bloomberg right to say that the role of government is to "improve" your life, whether you think it could stand improving (and in that way) or not? Or do you believe, as I do, that your life is your own, and government's job is not to interfere with it, but instead to stop others from interfering?

Read More: http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com/2012/06/15...

• Nancy~PWCM~JLA~POTL 2012/07/13 01:23:04
    Nancy~PWCM~JLA~POTL
    +1
    Less intrusion in your life and let people decide Seems to me that government has taken on more than they can handle and more so find money to pay for all the things they propose that is not there. Everything the government proposes seems to cost more than I would pay in any grocery store in every way shape or form. that is a crude example but get the meaning. the government is likethe nosiest organization on the planet and has been given the rule do as I say not what I do. They are not living like the rest of us and for sure their healthcare plan is different than the one proposed through Obamacare. It i just wrong. They should all have reduced wages and suffer the same as the rest of the masses.
  • keeper 2012/07/12 01:37:08
    To protect your rights from wrongful use of force.
    keeper
    +1
    The role of the Federal Government is to protect us from foreign intrusion.
  • Icono1 2012/07/11 18:37:27
    Icono1
    +1
    Our government is already in the business of herding the sheeple. All individual rights and liberties that one thinks they have are at best minimal compromises and at worst mirages.

The 0bie care ruling was no mistake. Take from it and realize that you are at best living in the belly of the nanny state or at worst a Marxist system of top down distributive governance. this happened because people wanted more without working for more and now they have it.

The constitution is now basically null and void. You can argue any amendment you want and the govt can counter argue and win because of the size of their, political, legal, and economic reach. Those with deep pockets usually win most if not all legal arguments.

You, the individual, have no argument because your reps have no argument because your reps are part of the system that is the problem and will not, I repeat, will not truly listen to you the individual because you the individual no longer exists as a power broker in their world.

Your only representation is only through statistical poll numbers and that is what drives policy if at all. Also the polls drive money contributions to politicians, not an individuals wishes or desires for a better non intrusive govt.

Good luck comrades.
  • ★Calliope★ 2012/07/11 18:04:04
    ★Calliope★
    +2
    Protect our borders.

Provide for defense.

Government has been overreaching for a couple hundred years because folks get lazy.
  • BUCCANEER~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/11 16:42:24
    BUCCANEER~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    The key phrase is "Roll of government" Quasi dictators and regimes do not fit into this category,well not in a free western society and especialy a society whose hard won constitution has ensured that not only it's own people but those in other countries who have been under threat from this type of treatment are protected.And not by deploying tactics which are totaly alien to that very constitution. A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves, Edward R Murrow
  • dominic garcia 2012/07/11 16:31:26 (edited)
    dominic garcia
    +1
    The constitution protects us from becoming slaves to our government, yet ridiculously enough, that is where Obama is taking us. He want to enslave us into his own marxist, socialist, progressive idea of government!
  • ConLibFraud 2012/07/08 22:04:10
    ConLibFraud
    +1
    Pretty obvious answer.
  • art1ej 2012/06/22 07:49:19
    art1ej
    +1
    to protect its people & to make sure they have rights....i dont think they should force anything thou....
  • scbluesman13 2012/06/20 20:34:02
    scbluesman13
    +1
    The role of government is to help do for its people what they cannot do for themselves. That is why things like social security and medicaid are as important as things like a strong, well-funded defense infrastructure. While it's important to protect citizen's rights, and our homeland, it's also important to implement programs which allow the poorest of our citizenry to live with some amount of dignity and hope.
  • Patrick Moser 2012/06/20 19:06:09
    Patrick Moser
    Government Can and Should be an Instrument of Good...

Not Just War... War Only When Necessary- and no draft dodgers should get to send anyone into to war. (President Obama was 9yo when the Vietnam war was under way )

This is another anti Obama reactionary post designed as with the choose of answers to drive a poll to get the results the poster wants.

-To protect your rights from wrongful use of force.

-Undecided

-To improve your life, by force if necessary. (Really?) why not another option just

-“To improve your life”

Thomas Jefferson, in a 1789 letter to James Madison, once said that every constitution “naturally expires at the end of 19 years” because “the earth belongs always to the living generation.”

Conservatives Cherry pick the Founder like they cherry pick there Big Book of Fairy Tails (Bible) if ether does not fit there narrow close mined views they ignore it, the founder were great men but men and the constitution has flaws and gaping holes for the modern world.

Why do you think they put the ability to amend it ? What made them great was that they knew they did not know every thing!

Our incredible Constitution has run its course…too many people have learned how to game it…it needs to be revised and updated with modern thinking and languag...

&

-Undecided

-“To improve your life”

Our incredible Constitution has run its course…too many people have learned how to game it…it needs to be revised and updated with modern thinking and language. It is time for Version 2.0 to include term limits, balanced budget with emergency provisions, safety net designed to give a helping hand with a real path to self reliance, real freedom for all that includes gay people (Being gay dose not infringe on people who have an imaginary friend [God]) Freedom of Religion is also Freedom from Religion, lets keep Religion in there TAX EXEMPT monuments (Churches, Synagogues, Mosques, Temples and Scientology store fronts) to an imaginary entity.), No Electoral College, Elections without any Privet or Corporate money the way most modern Democracy’s do. and Real and Sane Gun Control. And Never- Ever should a Corporation have more power or influence then “a Government For and By The People”.
    I will not argue about the moronic fallacy that a corporation is a person.

Being a 'person' occurs by virtue of being born of two members of the species: Homo sapiens! That is not the case with a corporation, any corporation, a corporation of any type! A corporation is, by definition, a charter, filed with a Secretary of State (most often Delaware where they can pay less taxes and have no responsibility to anyone); the charter outlines the corporate structure, lists the major officers and describes the 'type' of 'incorporation in legal terms. It is a NOT a person but simply a contract listing the major stockholders, summarizing the management and delegating various responsibilities. Certain accounting conventions follow but, certainly, no procedure has the God-like power to create 'persons' with a ledger book! No such combination of debits and credits has ever breathed life into inanimate objects and, by doing so, make 'people' of them! And I never in 22years in the military did I get an order to defend a corporation and if I did receive an order to defend a corporation I would resigned my commission, I an and was willing to give my life for People. But When a corporation is given birth drop me a line.

To address “Sane Gun Control”, I am not anti Gun I am anti unlimited unregulated weapons being sold like buying a loaf of bread. I own hunting riffles and shot guns. I find no need for a Hand Gun, and if I became mentally unfit I should Not be able to own a Weapons. Why does the NRA fight to keep guns in the hands of people who are mental unbalanced and criminals? Why do they fight gun locks? Why do they go ageist background checks? I once was a member of the NRA but they are now just a another scum bag lobby that does not have any concern for the safety of our children.

BTW: If you think having a gun is going to stop a Government with the Most Powerful Military in the World you’re insane!

In our new Constitution States should Never trump the Federal Government. The United States won WW1 & WW2 , Freed the Slaves, gave Woman the right to vote, Civil Rights, First to the Moon, Toppled Communism (It was not only Reagan, every President starting with Truman fought the Communist Fact!) oops sorry Facts, it was not Alabama, New York, California, Idaho or Massachusetts it was the United States that did all that.

A Confederacy has been tried twice in this country and it failed each time. (Confederacy is a system with a week central government) How do we fight war and protect our self’s with out a Federal Government how do we proved a real retirement system without a federal government. (Privet business has no real retirement system any more. a 401K that are tied to the criminals on wall street what a joke, just ask anyone who planed on retiring in 2008 2009 or 2010 but were wiped out and now have to work till hey die. The Koch bros and Apple love that more slaves ) The 401(k) doesn’t work on a large scale because it exposes nearly every participant to market risk that can’t be fully hedged. No one can consistently predict market cycles and less than half of employers offer personal planning services that offer meaningful guidance to protect you from the pitfalls of market investigate. If you retire on a down month your retirement is going to be cat food and collecting can for the rebate.

A generation ago, retirement investing didn’t worry Americans because most had a defined-benefit pension plan that pooled investments by professional outside managers to ensure a fixed payment based on salary and years of service. Now defined-contribution plans like 401(k)s, 403(b)s and 457 plans are the dominant form of employer-sponsored programs. They were never meant to be mainstream pensions. Wall Street is a gamble and is legalized criminality. Wall Street took the entire world to the brink and no one went to jail? If you or I did what they did we would be put under the prison but Republicans just gave them a bailout and gave the finger to the rest of America (Bush was responsible for the bail out of the banks FACT oops there I go again pesky inconvenient facts)

With A Confederacy How do keep states that want to discriminate or commit treason (secession) polluting air and water. A Confederacy sound good on Paper they have never worked.. Ever... just ask any a-hole with a Confederate flag how that whole thing worked out.

I am a proud American that has served my country for 22years and in the First Gulf War and and would do it again. I served under the Good Bush, Not the draft dogging Bush that took this county in to an unpaid for war attacking a country (Iraq) that had nothing to do with 9-11 and had NO weapons of mass destruction (Fact) and he knew it. Oh Ya I forgot No one is allowed to talk about the past, unless it's about His Royal Highness R. Reagan who raised taxes.

I will digress for a minute... As President Reagan, According to a Treasury Department analysis, He raised taxes by close to one percent of GDP, equivalent to $150 billion per year today, and was probably the largest peacetime tax increase in American history and as Governor of California imposed the highest tax increases in California history- $1 billion per year tax increase, equivalent to a $17 billion tax increase today- FACT and yes in 1981 he did Cut Taxes “FOR THE TOP EARNER ONLY” I am still waiting to be tricked on! Total cumulative Tax Increases 132.7 Billion dollars all on the Middle Class and Low-Income earners. ( Reagan did a despicable thing for the fist time he made waiter and waitresses pay tax on there tips. Restaurants pay the lowest wages and tip are how servers survive. But some day a mythical trickle will kick in) Another thing he cut was the GI bill I know this because I was serving in the 80's and he cut our GI bill benefits. I guess Republicans think bumper stickers and yellow ribbons are enough to support the troops. Stick you're yellow ribbons up you're a*s give us what we were promised. ..and Reagan begged to get deferred from combat in to make crappy movies for the war effort (coward)...Oh ya Sorry I forgot Conservatives are Anti-Fact

We live under a Constitution which guarantees our right to express our opinions. I am expressing mine and you need to express yours. When I stop and think about it, why shouldn’t any person on Earth be able to express their opinion? Someone out there, somewhere else on Earth, may have an idea that would be very helpful. In the end, the Citizens of the United States still have the final vote on their destiny. Until “CITIZEN UNITED” allows our election be decided by billionaires-They have a right to there voice also but not the right to buy a politician and an election. I don’t think the founders wanted an aristocracy controlling our destiny as it is becoming under “CITZENS UNITED”.)

At one time country’s when writing there constitutions used the US constitution as a model, but no more. Check out this article:
    (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/...
    Our constitution has served use well but it was not written by an supreme being but slave holders that saw African Americans woman and ..well anyone but rich white men as property or not worthy of even voting. (in the original constitution only land owners could vote) Now it is just a political pawn used by a radical supremacy court placing presidents in office over the will of the people and deciding to open the flood gates of corporate money and billionaires stealing elections. And I bet they want Nothing for there Billions there just Givers. LMAO

Sorry for long post but the one liners and talking points with no bases in FACT gets old. Everyone entitled to there opinion, but occasionally lets back it up with facts. Now let the insane crazy attacks begin....and that is fine but back it up with facts and references

Mabe our new constitution shhould have FDR's Second Bill of Rights was a list of rights proposed by Franklin D. Roosevelt, during his State of the Union Address on January 11, 1944. In his address Roosevelt suggested that the nation had come to recognize, and should now implement, a second "bill of rights". Roosevelt's argument was that the "political rights" guaranteed by the constitution and the Bill of Rights had "proved inadequate to assure us equality in the pursuit of happiness." Roosevelt's remedy was to declare an "economic bill of rights" which would guarantee:

-Employment, with a living wage
    -Freedom from unfair competition and monopolies
    -Housing
    -Medical care/ universal heathcare
    -Education
    -Social security

Sources:
    -newconstitution.info
    -The New American Economy “The Real Reagan”}
    -Excerpt from:existentialistcowboy.blo...
    -reuters.com/reuters-money/wh...
  • littlebuffalo55TBA 2012/06/19 09:07:44
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    +3
    To facilitate the provisions in the Constitution & Bill of Rights no more no less! The government works for US somewhere along the way we let that slip away! Time to re-enforce that essential message!
  • goblue1968 2012/06/18 22:49:55
    goblue1968
    +3
    It's pretty clearly stated in the Constitution what the "legal" authority of our government is: protect your life, liberty, and your personal pursuit of happiness. It's not to guarantee that you actually achieve that happiness, if you don't make any effort to earn it.
  • Lee goblue1968 2012/06/19 00:41:16 (edited)
    Lee
    LOL . . .

It doesn't say that anywhere in the Constitution DumbA$$.

Why are Right Wingers so Frickin Stupid?

Does anybody know?
  • MarinerFH 2012/06/18 16:07:57
  • Lee MarinerFH 2012/06/19 00:39:50 (edited)
    Lee
    +1
    State Government is still Government.

So you don't really have a point do you?
  • jeane 2012/06/18 13:21:37
    jeane
    +6
    Unfortunately now we must protect ourselves from our OVERREACHING and OPPRESSIVE GOVERNMENT!
  • Undecided
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    Manage Society from it's inherent instabilities and protect from attack.
  • KingdomNow 2012/06/18 02:35:08
    KingdomNow
    +4
    The US Constitution was written to protect people from the abuses of government and to limit government's power.
  • Stacy F 2012/06/18 02:07:44
    Stacy F
    +5
    In the absolutely truest sense of the idea, the role of government should be... MINIMAL.
  • Lee 2012/06/17 18:59:13 (edited)
    To improve your life, by force if necessary.
    Lee
    The role of government is to establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity.

And yes, the Federal government has the right to enforce laws through coercion if necessary.

To think otherwise is just stupid.
  • Stacy F Lee 2012/06/18 02:29:08
    Stacy F
    +4
    "...the right to enforce laws through coercion..."?? REALLY??? You ARE kidding, right?
    Otherwise you're describing EXACTLY the same reason that the Founding Fathers, 236 years ago, went to war with Great Britain over... TYRANNY.

The Federal government does NOT have the right to enforce laws through coercion, even if "necessary". Please don't take this the wrong way... But, to think otherwise IS stupid.
  • Lee Stacy F 2012/06/18 03:04:45
    Lee
    You are an incredible fool.

The Federal Government has every right to enforce laws through coercion.

The Federal Government can fine you and throw you in prison if you commit a Federal Crime.

Go rob a bank, and see if the Federal Government cannot coeerce you into giving back the money and then coerce you into spending a few years in the slammer.

Have you ever heard of "Federal Prison?"

Tell me . . . Why are Right Wing Nut Jobs so incredibly DUMB?
  • Stacy F Lee 2012/06/18 03:30:49
    Stacy F
    +4
    Yes, the Federal government can put you in prison for committing a CRIME, if you are found guilty, by trial, in a Court of LAW. That's part of a little thing called Due Process.

The Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution each contain a Due Process Clause. The Supreme Court of the United States interprets the Clauses as providing four protections: procedural due process (in civil and criminal proceedings), substantive due process, a prohibition against vague laws, and as the vehicle for the incorporation of the Bill of Rights.

The Federal government CANNOT enforce any law through the use of coercion... THAT is a violation of the Thirteenth Amendment of the Constitution.
    Coercion is the practice of forcing another party to behave in an involuntary manner (whether through action or inaction) by use of threats or intimidation or some other form of pressure or force. In law, coercion is codified as the "duress crime".

Tell ME... Why are the left-wing, liberal, progressive whack-jobs so incredibly OBTUSE?

bad luck
  • Lee Stacy F 2012/06/18 04:08:39 (edited)
    Lee
    Gawd you're dumb.

You don't even know the meaning of the words you throw around.

When someone is found guilty of a crime and thrown into prison, that IS government coercion.

People don't go to prison of their own free will Dumb A$$.

They are COERCED into going to prison. People are also sometimes COERCED into obeying the law.

When a cop writes you a speeding ticket, he is COERCING you into not exceeding the speed limit. That too is government COERCION.

Why are Right Wing Nut Jobs so frickin Stupid?

Does anyone know?

And let's see a link to the quote that you took out of context.

Gawd you're a fool.
  • Stacy F Lee 2012/06/21 06:28:24
    Stacy F
    +2
    "When someone is found guilty of a crime and thrown into prison, that IS government coercion. "

No, that's called JUSTICE.

"Gawd you're dumb." "Gawd, you're a fool."
    Listen kid, do yourself a favor... Grow up.
  • Lee Stacy F 2012/06/23 15:27:56 (edited)
    Lee

How is it that Right Wing Nut Jobs are too dumb to know the meanings of so many words?

co·er·cion   [koh-ur-shuhn]
    noun
    1.
    the act of coercing; use of force or intimidation to obtain compliance.
    2.
    force or the power to use force in gaining compliance, as by a government or police force.

http://dictionary.reference.c...

Are you actually proud of being so ignorant?
  • Stacy F Lee 2012/06/24 01:43:59
    Stacy F
    +1
    You are bending the meaning of the word to further your own feelings of superiority. And you failed... again.

Are YOU actually so proud of being so obtuse?
    Don't reply, okay? You're making a ridiculous spectacle of yourself, for everyone to witness.
  • Lee Stacy F 2012/06/24 02:27:38 (edited)
    Lee
    No, I'm not "bending the meaning of the word."

I provided you with a dictionary definition.

http://dictionary.reference.c...

Coercion is Coercion.

Enforcing the law is an act of coercion.

Why are Right Wing Nut Jobs so willfully ignorant?

I think I know why.

It's because facts contradict your cherished prejudices.
  • Stacy F Lee 2012/06/24 02:38:50
    Stacy F
    +1
    I don't know that I have any "cherished prejudices", as you put it.
    I DO know that I have had enough of your sad ramblings.
    Goodbye.
  • Al B Thayer 2012/06/17 06:02:17
    Al B Thayer
    +4
    For me they need to do as little as possible.
  • beach bum 2012/06/17 02:16:47 (edited)
    beach bum
    +5
    protection of our rights

protection rights
  • USC Gamecock fan 2012/06/17 01:09:24
    USC Gamecock fan
    +4
    To protect your rights from wrongful use of force and that includes the government. The liberals are trying to force their way of thinking down our throats and force feed us their crap and force us to provide for the freeloaders
  • superangrymonkey 2012/06/16 15:14:02
    superangrymonkey
    +2
    Government protecting people? What a joke. Smash the state
  • Franklin 2012/06/16 14:44:53
    Franklin
    +5
    the role of government has far out reached its proper boundaries and must - nay , WILL be forced into a new form very soon ! By fire and force we will take back what is ours as a right of birth !!! the only good liberal is a DEAD liberal - and even then they are only fit for animal feed .....
  • Jessica... Franklin 2012/06/18 15:33:18
    JessicaLynn
    +1
    I think you meant to replace Liberal with Christian Libertarian. I mean that would make the best sense. Especially with their demented thought patterns and hypocrisies. I know what you are and you do not belong in a rational free thinking society. There are places for people like you........ it's called the psychiatric ward. A muzzle and a straight jacket would do wonders for you.
  • Bozette Jessica... 2012/06/21 20:44:45
    Bozette
    +3
    Exactly what "demented thought patterns and hypocrisies" do I have? That I believe in free choice provided we are not infringing upon another and that we should have the freedom to be responsible for our own actions?
  • in vino... Jessica... 2012/07/08 16:59:41
  • Bill 2012/06/16 14:39:25
    Bill
    +2
    Stay out of my life. I don't need you !
  • Oaces_boss_yo® 2012/06/16 14:34:32
  • shadow76 2012/06/16 13:35:46 (edited)
    shadow76
    +2
    To maintain the rule of law and defend us from foreign threats!

2014/09/17 07:37:43