Robert Draper's Book: GOP's Anti-Obama Campaign Began The Night Of The Inauguration.

luvguins 2012/04/26 20:04:37
From where we have arrived now, some of us thought we knew when the GOP was being transparent about their campaign to sabotage the president when Mitch McConnell said their plan was to "make Obama a one term president" in October, 2010. However, we were way behind the GOP's nefarious plans according to Robert Draper's new book, "Do Not Ask What We Good We Do: Inside the House of Representatives". Draper, a contributor to GQ and the NY times, imbedded himself with House members in 2011 including the key players, and was surprised how forthcoming and candid they were about their mission and it's beginning.

As President Barack Obama was celebrating his inauguration at various balls, top Republican lawmakers and strategists were conjuring up ways to submarine his presidency at a private dinner in Washington.

The event -- which provides a telling revelation for how quickly the post-election climate soured -- serves as the prologue of Robert Draper's much-discussed and heavily-reported new book, "Do Not Ask What Good We Do: Inside the U.S. House of Representatives."

According to Draper, the guest list that night (which was just over 15 people in total) included Republican Reps. Eric Cantor (Va.), Kevin McCarthy (Calif.), Paul Ryan (Wis.), Pete Sessions (Texas), Jeb Hensarling (Texas), Pete Hoekstra (Mich.) and Dan Lungren (Calif.), along with Republican Sens. Jim DeMint (S.C.), Jon Kyl (Ariz.), Tom Coburn (Okla.), John Ensign (Nev.) and Bob Corker (Tenn.). The non-lawmakers present included Newt Gingrich, several years removed from his presidential campaign, and Frank Luntz, the long-time Republican wordsmith. Notably absent were Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) -- who, Draper writes, had an acrimonious relationship with Luntz.

For several hours in the Caucus Room (a high-end D.C. establishment), the book says they plotted out ways to not just win back political power, but to also put the brakes on Obama's legislative platform.

"If you act like you're the minority, you're going to stay in the minority," Draper quotes McCarthy as saying. "We've gotta challenge them on every single bill and challenge them on every single campaign."

The conversation got only more specific from there, Draper reports. Kyl suggested going after incoming Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner for failing to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes while at the International Monetary Fund. Gingrich noted that House Ways and Means Chairman Charlie Rangel (D-N.Y.) had a similar tax problem. McCarthy chimed in to declare "there's a web" before arguing that Republicans could put pressure on any Democrat who accepted campaign money from Rangel to give it back.

The dinner lasted nearly four hours. They parted company almost giddily. The Republicans had agreed on a way forward:

Go after Geithner. (And indeed Kyl did, the next day: ‘Would you answer my question rather than dancing around it—please?’)

Show united and unyielding opposition to the president’s economic policies. (Eight days later, Minority Whip Cantor would hold the House Republicans to a unanimous No against Obama’s economic stimulus plan.)

Begin attacking vulnerable Democrats on the airwaves. (The first National Republican Congressional Committee attack ads would run in less than two months.)

Win the spear point of the House in 2010. Jab Obama relentlessly in 2011. Win the White House and the Senate in 2012.

"You will remember this day," Draper reports Newt Gingrich as saying on the way out. "You’ll remember this as the day the seeds of 2012 were sown."

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/25/robert-dr...

• C. C. Rider 2012/04/26 20:45:40 (edited)
    C. C. Rider
    +46
    The "hate" machine against this President has been the worst I have ever seen. And yet he still stands tall and will win in 2012. From the likes of drug addled Rush and Nugent they just can not stop him. These GOP candidates will loose too.

tall win 2012 drug addled rush nugent gop candidates lose

• Michaelene CFlyJuice 2012/04/30 16:56:44
    Michaelene
    +1
    I can't believe how many basement dwellers support this thug in chief. You'd think they'd want prosperity for all, no like the saying goes, misery loves company.
  • CFlyJuice Michaelene 2012/04/30 17:18:58
    CFlyJuice
    +1
    Liberals are miserable and want everyone to be miserable too.

Sad.
  • Michaelene CFlyJuice 2012/04/30 17:39:18
    Michaelene
    +1
    It is sad.
    All parents need to wake up and see what the schools are teaching our kids. The blatant Obama idolatry and anti American theology must stop!
  • luvguins CFlyJuice 2012/04/28 02:28:46
    luvguins
    +2
    A waste of my time. You righties have your heads in cement and only agree with your buddies.
  • LindaM luvguins 2012/04/28 02:54:11
    LindaM
    +1
    All the accusations and all the rants will prove to be fruitless come Nov. They're spinning their wheels and is just showing how defeated they feel. They're angry little children that can't except what will be. I say, let'em talk, they like to hear themselves. They've proved nothing except their own frustration and helplessness..
  • luvguins LindaM 2012/04/28 03:44:07
    luvguins
    +2
    Absolutely true, Linda. The reason the hate and insults are flying more here. Romney is a cold fish with the charisma of a rock pretending to be whoever he thinks he can dupe someone into voting for him.
  • CFlyJuice LindaM 2012/04/28 12:25:36
  • CFlyJuice luvguins 2012/04/28 12:25:43
  • luvguins CFlyJuice 2012/04/28 14:16:18
  • CFlyJuice luvguins 2012/04/29 07:26:31
    CFlyJuice
    This makes more sense..

obama voter head up ass
  • Lady Wh... luvguins 2012/04/27 14:49:01
    +2
    agreed
  • JustTheFacts 2012/04/27 11:47:00
    JustTheFacts
    +5
    There was plenty of evidence to believe that was the appropriate time to see how horrible of a president he was going to be despite knowing so little about him. obama sure hasn't disappointed in the "horrible president" category; easily the worst in our nations history out doing Wilson, FDR, and Carter easily.
  • gvc 2012/04/27 06:45:05
    gvc
    +7
    Booo Hoooo Those mean ol Republicans don't like Obama. Well Duh!!!!!

Wonder how many years Obama and his ilk plotted behind closed doors to get his sorry arse in the White House?

Can't wait until he is gone....JAN 2013 Farewell to the liar and thief!!!
  • jakep51 2012/04/27 06:36:22
    jakep51
    +10
    WRONG! The anti Obama Campaign began even before the election. I for one voted hard against the likes of this absolute fraud. And to think I used to believe Jimmy Carter was the worst President we'd ever see. Leave it to the Democrats to out fail even themselves
  • dallas jakep51 2012/04/27 14:14:04
  • Lady Wh... dallas 2012/04/27 14:49:48
    +1
    agreed.... seems all they care about are their rich buddies.
  • jakep51 dallas 2012/04/28 05:17:27
    jakep51
    And since all Democrats are untrustworthy liars, (He DIDN'T inhale or have sex with that woman) All Republican Presidents must be default be the exact opposite of what you claim?

I'm just sayin......
  • dallas jakep51 2012/04/28 17:07:34
  • jakep51 dallas 2012/04/29 02:56:16
    jakep51
    Never.
  • luvguins jakep51 2012/04/29 03:15:21
    luvguins
    +1
    Yep, you are a white man over 50.....all the GOP gets. A southern one at that.
  • jakep51 luvguins 2012/04/29 06:41:06
    jakep51
    +1
    and you're so condescending, like all liberals, you firmly believe you know better than most what's good for me when you don't have a clue who or what I am about, nor where I am actually from. You assume automatically that because of where I am I have always been there. While that may be true for liberals (as in always been lost) I am not where I have always been nor where I will always be. If the same could be said of liberals, there wouldn't be nearly so many.
  • Michaelene luvguins 2012/04/30 17:42:19
    Michaelene
    Not in my neck of the woods, the GOP ranks are rising faster than the state can keep up.
    Are you better off than you were just 3.5 years ago?
  • dallas jakep51 2012/04/29 05:07:09
  • jakep51 dallas 2012/04/29 06:47:08 (edited)
    jakep51
    Thanks, but no thanks. Voting Democrat is what got us where we are today and it isn't a pretty sight. Obama's a failure, democrat policies are always failures, but I'll give you credit for effort though. Don Quixote would be proud of you.
  • exhon2009 2012/04/27 04:30:59
    exhon2009
    +8
    Democrats had control of The House, Senate and White House for two years. To the detriment of the economy and jobs they pissed it all away on a health care bill that the majority of Americans loath. To borrow a phrase from his racist pastor those chickens are going to come home to roost this November.
  • luvguins exhon2009 2012/04/27 04:40:00
    luvguins
    +5
    In your dreams. Romney is going down.
  • Lady Wh... luvguins 2012/04/27 10:14:01
    +2
    hope so!
  • Michaelene exhon2009 2012/04/30 17:43:55
    Michaelene
    That is the truth! In order to be a part of TUCC you must pledge your allegiance to Africa!
  • S* 2012/04/27 03:40:09
    S*
    I have no doubt.
  • conservyT 2012/04/27 03:26:29
    conservyT
    +7
    So why the pouty faces ladies?

This is politics and it does get ugly.

I for one am glad that they have put these CRAZY dems in check and of course this prez too.

Now isn’t this written in the Constitution; Checks and Balance?

That's what is sounds like to me and I’m glad they did this.

This here book is irrelevant and you guys are always telling lies on all your National and Cable networks; girls quite your whining!
  • chgo 2012/04/27 02:31:28
    chgo
    +7
    The republicans have no chance this coming November.
  • freebirdie chgo 2012/04/27 13:22:33
    freebirdie
    +4
    LOL..isn't that what you said in Nov of 2010?
  • chgo freebirdie 2012/04/27 13:55:34
    chgo
    +2
    No, I did not. I've been on SH for only about a year now. Your fantasies and delusions are getting the best of you.
  • freebirdie chgo 2012/04/27 14:13:40
    freebirdie
    +3
    Ok sorry, I should have been more clear... "YOU" is also a collective noun.
    Clearly you are a liberal, and so, all liberals said that back in Nov. '10.. nevermind. You are forgiven because you just can't understand. It's that disease liberals have...
  • Huntclan 2012/04/27 01:54:42
    Huntclan
    +4
    This is politics. This happens with every administration. The idiot who wrote this should know that the anti-Obammy movement started when he was selected POTUS. The same article will be written by Fox about the Democrats derailing Romney if 4 years.

Obammy didn't need any help tanking the economy.
  • luvguins Huntclan 2012/04/27 02:14:45
    luvguins
    +7
    This is dirty tricks politics ala Nixon. The GOP are the sorest losers I've ever seen.
  • freebirdie luvguins 2012/04/27 13:27:58
    freebirdie
    +4
    If you read any history you'd read that this stuff has been going on since our founding. They are not all supposed to agree~except what is Constitutional.. They are not all supposed to be on the bandwagon. They should represent their states and what's best for their own state, and are purposely sent there to represent their state, not their party.
    GOP are not sore losers. They are for their states not total govt control, like the dems.
  • luvguins freebirdie 2012/04/28 02:33:24
    luvguins
    If you think your state can foot the entire bill for clean air, clean water, safe food, safe medicine, national parks, and disaster relief, etc., knock yourself out and let Governor Cuomo know.
  • Petrifi... Huntclan 2012/04/27 12:15:46
  • Huntclan Petrifi... 2012/04/27 18:20:07
    Huntclan
    All of Obammy's ideas are bad for America. The one the GOP agreed with him on, the Obama Tax Cuts on the Rich (formally Bush Tax Cuts), passed with flying colors.

2014/12/19 10:47:27