Robert Draper's Book: GOP's Anti-Obama Campaign Began The Night Of The Inauguration.

luvguins 2012/04/26 20:04:37
From where we have arrived now, some of us thought we knew when the GOP was being transparent about their campaign to sabotage the president when Mitch McConnell said their plan was to "make Obama a one term president" in October, 2010. However, we were way behind the GOP's nefarious plans according to Robert Draper's new book, "Do Not Ask What We Good We Do: Inside the House of Representatives". Draper, a contributor to GQ and the NY times, imbedded himself with House members in 2011 including the key players, and was surprised how forthcoming and candid they were about their mission and it's beginning.

As President Barack Obama was celebrating his inauguration at various balls, top Republican lawmakers and strategists were conjuring up ways to submarine his presidency at a private dinner in Washington.

The event -- which provides a telling revelation for how quickly the post-election climate soured -- serves as the prologue of Robert Draper's much-discussed and heavily-reported new book, "Do Not Ask What Good We Do: Inside the U.S. House of Representatives."

According to Draper, the guest list that night (which was just over 15 people in total) included Republican Reps. Eric Cantor (Va.), Kevin McCarthy (Calif.), Paul Ryan (Wis.), Pete Sessions (Texas), Jeb Hensarling (Texas), Pete Hoekstra (Mich.) and Dan Lungren (Calif.), along with Republican Sens. Jim DeMint (S.C.), Jon Kyl (Ariz.), Tom Coburn (Okla.), John Ensign (Nev.) and Bob Corker (Tenn.). The non-lawmakers present included Newt Gingrich, several years removed from his presidential campaign, and Frank Luntz, the long-time Republican wordsmith. Notably absent were Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) -- who, Draper writes, had an acrimonious relationship with Luntz.

For several hours in the Caucus Room (a high-end D.C. establishment), the book says they plotted out ways to not just win back political power, but to also put the brakes on Obama's legislative platform.

"If you act like you're the minority, you're going to stay in the minority," Draper quotes McCarthy as saying. "We've gotta challenge them on every single bill and challenge them on every single campaign."

The conversation got only more specific from there, Draper reports. Kyl suggested going after incoming Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner for failing to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes while at the International Monetary Fund. Gingrich noted that House Ways and Means Chairman Charlie Rangel (D-N.Y.) had a similar tax problem. McCarthy chimed in to declare "there's a web" before arguing that Republicans could put pressure on any Democrat who accepted campaign money from Rangel to give it back.

The dinner lasted nearly four hours. They parted company almost giddily. The Republicans had agreed on a way forward:

Go after Geithner. (And indeed Kyl did, the next day: ‘Would you answer my question rather than dancing around it—please?’)

Show united and unyielding opposition to the president’s economic policies. (Eight days later, Minority Whip Cantor would hold the House Republicans to a unanimous No against Obama’s economic stimulus plan.)

Begin attacking vulnerable Democrats on the airwaves. (The first National Republican Congressional Committee attack ads would run in less than two months.)

Win the spear point of the House in 2010. Jab Obama relentlessly in 2011. Win the White House and the Senate in 2012.

"You will remember this day," Draper reports Newt Gingrich as saying on the way out. "You’ll remember this as the day the seeds of 2012 were sown."

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/25/robert-dr...

• C. C. Rider 2012/04/26 20:45:40 (edited)
    C. C. Rider
    +46
    The "hate" machine against this President has been the worst I have ever seen. And yet he still stands tall and will win in 2012. From the likes of drug addled Rush and Nugent they just can not stop him. These GOP candidates will loose too.

tall win 2012 drug addled rush nugent gop candidates lose

• Grandbr... Dan™: R... 2012/05/02 21:46:59
    Grandbrother
    Whatever you need to tell yourself.
  • David Lindner 2012/04/26 23:42:39
    David Lindner
    +2
    Get ready for an October surprise lib trolls.
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/04/26 23:40:39
    **StarzAbove**
    +7
    They have hated this president before he took office and their only objective is to see him defeated. They don't care about the american people at, they just cant stand to see a black man in the white house. But they better get used to it, he will be there for another 4 years.
  • Dan™: R... **Starz... 2012/04/26 23:54:45 (edited)
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +5
    It's always got to be about race with you Left-wingnuts, doesn't it? Can't possibly be that people intellectually and philosophically disagree strongly with him.
  • **Starz... Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 00:02:04
    **StarzAbove**
    +6
    Deny it all you want but it is the truth. It is about race, no other president has ever been dissed like this one, even before he was elected.
  • Jackie ... **Starz... 2012/04/27 00:05:57
    +4
    There are only two groups of people in the country who obsess about race: Skinheads and liberals. No one else gives it a second thought. That makes them both racists of the worst kind.
  • **Starz... Jackie ... 2012/04/27 00:08:25
    **StarzAbove**
    +7
    You're in denial. But that's OK, he'll win in 2012 anyway.
  • Flash,a... **Starz... 2012/04/27 00:06:03
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    +4
    Its about the destruction of our nation, our rights and freedoms lady.
  • **Starz... Flash,a... 2012/04/27 00:09:36 (edited)
    **StarzAbove**
    +5
    Then why why do you complain about everything and anything this president does. He can't even have a hamburger without the likes of you haters making snide remarks about it. Grow up. Flash or whatever the heck your name is.
  • Flash,a... **Starz... 2012/04/27 00:31:38
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    +3
    He can eat all the hamburgers he wants. I suppose when Bush was president you gave him respect right "Starz" or whatever the heck your name is?
  • lee Flash,a... 2012/04/27 00:42:31
    lee
    +4
    so this is payback, is it?

for the left not liking your "appointed one"...

childish
  • **Starz... Flash,a... 2012/04/27 01:33:45 (edited)
    **StarzAbove**
    +4
    Sure right to divert the conversation away from the topic because you know you can't win.

We're talking about the president not Bush. No one ever dissed Bush like they have this president and you know it, and we had plenty of reasons to. For starters for starting a senseless war that got so many of our young people killed, torturing prisoners, bringing our country to its knees and then leaving that mess for President Obama to clean up.

See you at polls Pal.
  • Flash,a... **Starz... 2012/04/27 01:37:19
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    +1
    Will the New Black Panthers be there?
  • **Starz... Flash,a... 2012/04/27 01:38:30 (edited)
    **StarzAbove**
    +3
    You just admitted you're a racist.

Enough said, moving on.
  • Flash,a... **Starz... 2012/04/27 11:09:55
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    +1
    You mean Obama & Holder are racist don't you since they don't prosecute black domestic terrorist.
    Moveon.org?
    I judge by character or lack thereof not skin tone; neither will I give someone a blank check endorsement to show 'I'm a good person'.
  • FeelHoo... Flash,a... 2012/04/27 07:38:36
    FeelHood H. Obama~BN28
    +3
    Both of them...?
  • Flash,a... FeelHoo... 2012/04/27 11:13:43
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    Both of who?
  • FeelHoo... Flash,a... 2012/04/28 04:25:56
    FeelHood H. Obama~BN28
    +3
    The new Black Panthers.
  • Lady Wh... **Starz... 2012/04/27 10:21:32
  • lee Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 00:04:31
    lee
    +3
    no, because he's following mostly YOUR sides policies...

so how ELSE do you explain it?
  • Dan™: R... lee 2012/04/27 02:45:47 (edited)
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +1
    The only policies Obama is following that you assume in any way aligns with "my side" are his expansions of the Patriot Act. But "my side" doesn't support all of the Patriot Act business. You have miscalculated who you're talking to. Just because I'm against Obama's decisions as President doesn't mean I'm a Patriot Act supporting Republican.

I'm a conservative. On every other issue, Obama is not following anything close to "my side" on policy. Not at all.
  • lee Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 16:56:37
    lee
    +3
    two words....

heritage foundation

you going to tell me they are not "real" conservatives?
  • Dan™: R... lee 2012/04/27 17:07:02
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    Oh, you're referring to the fact that Heritage proposed a very different version of an individual mandate as part of a Republican alternative to Hillarycare decades ago ... which they have long since disavowed and do not support anymore?
  • lee Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 17:28:15
    lee
    +3
    why am I not surprised they would abandon their own idea now that it has been co-opted by a centrist...
  • Dan™: R... lee 2012/04/27 18:08:20
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    Oh come on! Obama is no centrist. That doesn't even pass the laugh test.

In any event, their original idea was proposed within the context of a drastically different type of health care proposal. So, no, it's not really accurate to describe it as "their own idea" in the context of the PPACA.

And it's also inaccurate to say that they abandoned the individual mandate "now that it has been co-opted by" Obama. The truth is that they abandoned the idea long before Obama co-opted it. In fact, they abandoned it long before Obama's political career even began.
  • lee Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 19:55:50
    lee
    +2
    because your brain is awash in right wing propaganda.

as a libertarian, I would have expected better of you.

name ONE policy that Obama has pushed for that is decidedly left of center.

i DARE you.
  • Dan™: R... lee 2012/04/30 23:26:24
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    "name ONE policy that Obama has pushed for that is decidedly left of center."

What's the point in wasting my time with such an exercise? You're the guy who wants to pretend that an anti-gun, pro-abortion, pro-gay rights, pro-amnesty Mayor of New York isn't in any way liberal.

No matter what I cite, you're going to flatly deny it. It's not worth the time. Obama's entire Big Government vision is decidedly Left of center, and if you can't see it, there's no point trying to argue with you. I don't know what world you're living in.
  • lee Dan™: R... 2012/05/01 00:45:23
    lee
    you are (deliberately?) mis-characterizing our other thread...

why?

because you know you don't have anything?

for the record, i said Bloomberg (the person) is not a liberal... .i do not deny that SOME of the policies he supports are liberal policies... but he HAS to support them, he's mayor of NYC for crying out loud...

the DARE stands.
  • Dan™: R... lee 2012/05/01 04:40:58 (edited)
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    I'm not misrepresenting anything you said, deliberately or otherwise. I never saw you acknowledge anything at all in any of conversations. As far as I know, you've stubbornly claimed that Bloomberg is a Republican (which he isn't) and that Bloomberg isn't liberal (which he is). I haven't seen anything from you to the contrary and I don't know what the hell you're talking about as far as some other thread.
  • lee Dan™: R... 2012/05/01 18:37:29
    lee
    then you need to improve your reading comprehension skills.

Bloomberg is NOT a liberal.

he may have taken up with SOME liberal policies, but that does not make him a liberal.... there are too many examples of the opposite side of him to claim that.. moderate is the best you can say.

like Romney.
  • Dan™: R... lee 2012/05/01 19:48:58
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    Just because I completely disagree with your assertion doesn't mean I've got reading comprehension issues ... it means I disagree with you.

Bloomberg is a liberal. He was a liberal when he was a Democrat. He was liberal as a Republican. And he's liberal as an Independent. He has not merely adopted "some liberal policies." His position on a MAJORITY of issues are liberal.
  • lee Dan™: R... 2012/05/01 22:49:19
    lee
    well you are not a liberal...

i am a liberal...

and i'm telling you, I would not vote for the man...

if that does not inform you then you are not reachable.
  • MsTlynne Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 01:19:00
    MsTlynne
    +5
    You're busted. The idiots among you are stupid enough to say out loud that they hate him because he's black. I've heard it many times.
  • Dan™: R... MsTlynne 2012/04/27 02:57:37
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +2
    You're a race-baiting jackass. Go away. I have nothing to say to a fool such as yourself.
  • luvguins Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 03:26:32
    luvguins
    +4
    She is reporting what she has seen on Sodahead.
  • Dan™: R... luvguins 2012/04/27 03:54:20
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +1
    Oh, so now she's a "reporter" rather than just some random race-baiting jackass?

That's funny. Try again.
  • luvguins Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 04:17:17
    luvguins
    +3
    That is enough if you want to remain here.
  • MsTlynne Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 04:56:41
    MsTlynne
    +2
    Telling you what I have heard with my own ears is race baiting, liar. LMAO! Guess who's getting reelected??????????
  • Dan™: R... MsTlynne 2012/04/27 05:19:39
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +2
    I have never seen any evidence of your race-baiting claim, and I'm sure I've been here on SodaHead a lot longer than you.

Do you have any evidence to back up your claim? Go ahead and show it. Show me where somebody said they didn't like Obama because of his race. Prove it. It's on you now.

Nobody cares about his race except for Left-wing hypocrites and race-obsessed people such as yourself. The only thing people care about is the fact that he's a failure.

And by the way, your hero isn't getting re-elected. He's going to get his scrawny, incompetent, community agitator ass kicked out of office in November.
  • MsTlynne Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 05:41:08
    MsTlynne
    +3
    I'm not going to go back through all the posts I've read, but I can tell you that they are rampant on this site. One member in particular can't seem to refer to the President without calling him a half breed. Outside of SH, I hear people actually say things like that at work and in the grocery store here. I have no reason to lie. It's amazing what people will say when they think they are "among friends." I have to rid my office on a daily basis of at least one client who thinks that just because I am kind to them they can start talking politics to me. If I smile at them enough, they think it is safe to explain to me that although they have some black friends (and how I'm such a nice lady), it just isn't right for one to sitting in the highest office in the land. If they get really comfortable, they try to explain to me how God didn't intend races to mix and have children. They always end it by telling me how I'm not like the rest of "them." I wish you could be a fly on the wall!

2014/08/21 00:32:29