Robert Draper's Book: GOP's Anti-Obama Campaign Began The Night Of The Inauguration.

luvguins 2012/04/26 20:04:37
From where we have arrived now, some of us thought we knew when the GOP was being transparent about their campaign to sabotage the president when Mitch McConnell said their plan was to "make Obama a one term president" in October, 2010. However, we were way behind the GOP's nefarious plans according to Robert Draper's new book, "Do Not Ask What We Good We Do: Inside the House of Representatives". Draper, a contributor to GQ and the NY times, imbedded himself with House members in 2011 including the key players, and was surprised how forthcoming and candid they were about their mission and it's beginning.

As President Barack Obama was celebrating his inauguration at various balls, top Republican lawmakers and strategists were conjuring up ways to submarine his presidency at a private dinner in Washington.

The event -- which provides a telling revelation for how quickly the post-election climate soured -- serves as the prologue of Robert Draper's much-discussed and heavily-reported new book, "Do Not Ask What Good We Do: Inside the U.S. House of Representatives."

According to Draper, the guest list that night (which was just over 15 people in total) included Republican Reps. Eric Cantor (Va.), Kevin McCarthy (Calif.), Paul Ryan (Wis.), Pete Sessions (Texas), Jeb Hensarling (Texas), Pete Hoekstra (Mich.) and Dan Lungren (Calif.), along with Republican Sens. Jim DeMint (S.C.), Jon Kyl (Ariz.), Tom Coburn (Okla.), John Ensign (Nev.) and Bob Corker (Tenn.). The non-lawmakers present included Newt Gingrich, several years removed from his presidential campaign, and Frank Luntz, the long-time Republican wordsmith. Notably absent were Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) -- who, Draper writes, had an acrimonious relationship with Luntz.

For several hours in the Caucus Room (a high-end D.C. establishment), the book says they plotted out ways to not just win back political power, but to also put the brakes on Obama's legislative platform.

"If you act like you're the minority, you're going to stay in the minority," Draper quotes McCarthy as saying. "We've gotta challenge them on every single bill and challenge them on every single campaign."

The conversation got only more specific from there, Draper reports. Kyl suggested going after incoming Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner for failing to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes while at the International Monetary Fund. Gingrich noted that House Ways and Means Chairman Charlie Rangel (D-N.Y.) had a similar tax problem. McCarthy chimed in to declare "there's a web" before arguing that Republicans could put pressure on any Democrat who accepted campaign money from Rangel to give it back.

The dinner lasted nearly four hours. They parted company almost giddily. The Republicans had agreed on a way forward:

Go after Geithner. (And indeed Kyl did, the next day: ‘Would you answer my question rather than dancing around it—please?’)

Show united and unyielding opposition to the president’s economic policies. (Eight days later, Minority Whip Cantor would hold the House Republicans to a unanimous No against Obama’s economic stimulus plan.)

Begin attacking vulnerable Democrats on the airwaves. (The first National Republican Congressional Committee attack ads would run in less than two months.)

Win the spear point of the House in 2010. Jab Obama relentlessly in 2011. Win the White House and the Senate in 2012.

"You will remember this day," Draper reports Newt Gingrich as saying on the way out. "You’ll remember this as the day the seeds of 2012 were sown."

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/25/robert-dr...

• C. C. Rider 2012/04/26 20:45:40 (edited)
    C. C. Rider
    +46
    The "hate" machine against this President has been the worst I have ever seen. And yet he still stands tall and will win in 2012. From the likes of drug addled Rush and Nugent they just can not stop him. These GOP candidates will loose too.

tall win 2012 drug addled rush nugent gop candidates lose

• Lee The... Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 00:38:39
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +1
    I'm good Dan, how are you? You can always tell an election year eh? Everyone starts freaking out! LOL
  • luvguins Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 00:41:17
    luvguins
    +5
    I remember a time when both parties worked together for the sake of the American people. When Republicans were reasonable. When Reagan and Tip O'Neill were partners passing legislation. Since inauguration the GOP has been the party of no, and they got a bunch of corporate funded tea neocons into the House to insult and obstruct even raising the debt ceiling. So don't give me your little song and dance around. We've known the plan all along, and this cements it.
  • Dan™: R... luvguins 2012/04/27 03:02:55 (edited)
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +1
    I'm old enough to remember the Reagan years, but I don't remember it being as idyllic as you depict it. There was partisan disagreement then as now. However, the real difference in the political climate of the Reagan years was ... Ronald Reagan. Reagan was able to broker a few bipartisan deals on the strength of his personality. He was unique. In terms of personality, Obama is nothing like Ronald Reagan. Reagan was a uniter, Obama is a divider. Obama is a rude, condescending, arrogant jackass who openly mocks and attacks his political adversaries. You never heard Reagan knock down suggestions from his political adversaries the way Obama does.
  • luvguins Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 03:20:22
    luvguins
    +3
    It wasn't all idyllic, but better than now. As for a uniter we can always look back on:
    1 Iran-Contra Affair
    2 Department of Housing and Urban Development grant rigging
    3 Lobbying scandal
    4 EPA scandals
    5 Inslaw Affair
    6 Savings & loan crisis
    7 Debategate

• Dan™: R... luvguins 2012/04/27 03:52:18 (edited)
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +1
    So which is it? Which Reagan era do you want? Do you want to refer back to the Reagan era as an era of civil bipartisanship, or are you now arguing that Reagan's term in office was characterized by the divisive issues you're now trying to raise?

Seems like you want to have it both ways, you want your cake and eat it too. Pick one tack or the other. Most of the crap you put on your list wasn't actually divisive in the legislature on partisan lines anyway. You're just listing claimed Reagan scandals to tear him down now that I've pointed out how Obama doesn't measure up to Reagan.
  • luvguins Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 04:11:23
    luvguins
    +3
    A presidency is an amalgam of all things, Danny boy. Saint Reagan was not saintly by a long shot, but he wasn't beset by a Boehner and Cantor in legislating.
  • Dan™: R... luvguins 2012/04/27 04:22:04
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +1
    Boehner and Cantor are weak sauce. Those guys aren't cantankerous partisans at all. Those guys are both breezy go-along-to-get-along boys. If you think those two milquetoast losers are the face of iron-clad Republican obstinacy, then I think you're delusional.
  • luvguins Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 04:44:19
    luvguins
    +3
    Cantor runs the tea neocons and wants Boehners job. The tea neocons run the show.
  • Dan™: R... luvguins 2012/04/27 04:52:57
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +1
    "tea neocons" is just about the most idiotic thing I've ever heard in my life. There is almost nothing in common between small government, Constitutionalist TEA Party people and the neo-conservative movement of a decade ago. Nothing. You need to educate yourself a bit about who the TEA Party is apparently. A lot of us are Libertarians who are opposed to excessive military spending and foreign entanglements (which doesn't square with neo-conservatism at all), and advocates of liberal economic policies.
  • luvguins Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 05:26:46
    luvguins
    +3
    Seems everything is idiotic to you, Danny boy. Are you the new infallible voice of the GOP? Chaoskitty is not going to like that. The teas are a diluted bunch back here in the East, and just puppets of the Koch brothers who got the candidates all money elected. Lots of old geezers on Medicare just fantasizing about the 50s and 60s.
  • Dan™: R... luvguins 2012/04/27 06:08:28
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +2
    "Are you the new infallible voice of the GOP?"

Funny thing: I'm not even registered GOP. I'm a Libertarian.

But anyways, the construction "tea neocon" isn't idiotic because I'm an "infallible voice." Sorry, but it's idiotic because it doesn't make sense. It's actually oxymoronic and self-contradictory.

All that Koch conspiracy theory talking point nonsense may help you to try to understand the outrage of normal, average citizens who are sick of government excess; but it doesn't resemble reality at all. I attended my first TEA Party rally on April 15 2009 of my own volition and with no corporate or Koch Brothers backing. In fact, I didn't even know who the Koch brothers were. It was a spontaneous, authentic, grassroots political protest. I've never been very political and never protested or rallied or anything in my whole life until then.

So you can try to ignore or discredit people like me all you want, if that's what it takes to rationalize your own goofy and misguided political beliefs. But people like me -- and there are millions of us -- we know better. We know what the TEA Party really is. We know who we are.
  • luvguins Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 13:39:53
    luvguins
    +2
    Knock yourself out, Danny. The teas approval rating is now lower than Muslims at 26%. Tea totaled
  • Dan™: R... luvguins 2012/04/27 14:49:45
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +2
    Those polls are just propaganda, so why should I care? I don't adopt my political philosophies based on how popular some jackass Left-wing propaganda poll shows my ideas to be.
  • luvguins Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 15:07:59
    luvguins
    +2
    Well, Kingpin you only have one vote like the rest of us.
  • Dan™: R... luvguins 2012/04/27 15:27:55
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    +2
    Well, congratulations ... that's at least one true thing you've said so far.

But what's your point?
  • luvguins Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 15:42:41
    luvguins
    +2
    We'll see the point on November, 6.
  • Dan™: R... luvguins 2012/04/27 17:03:41
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    Exactly. That's the only poll that matters: the ballot box. All the rest of the polls are mere propaganda meant to shape public opinion.
  • CFlyJuice luvguins 2012/04/28 12:57:59
  • luvguins CFlyJuice 2012/04/28 14:40:41
  • CFlyJuice luvguins 2012/04/29 07:40:12
  • CFlyJuice CFlyJuice 2012/04/29 07:43:31
  • Lady Wh... luvguins 2012/04/27 10:20:41
    +1
    well said
  • FeedFwd... luvguins 2012/04/27 20:03:30
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    That went out the door when Bush tried to play nice with Teddy Kennedy and the dems and got stabbed in the back for his effort. It probably went out the door when democrat hero was impeached by republicans in the House. After that, hell hath no fury like Clinton worshipers scorned!
  • Lady Wh... Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 10:19:44
    +1
    "I swear, do you Left-wingers ever stop and think about anything at all before you start spewing your silly nonsense..?"

Well?? aren't the RIGHT-WINGERS just as bad?
  • Dan™: R... Lady Wh... 2012/04/27 15:07:38
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    I don't think so.
  • rightside Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 16:33:45
  • Grandbr... Dan™: R... 2012/04/27 17:17:51
    Grandbrother
    It's not about simple, standard opposition. It's about the most extreme, self-servingly machiavellian opposition tactics our generation has had the misfortune of experiencing. One need look no further than the Zadroga Bill to see what I mean: http://nymag.com/daily/intel/...
  • Dan™: R... Grandbr... 2012/04/27 18:02:43 (edited)
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    "It's not about simple, standard opposition."

Sure it is.

"It's about the most extreme, self-servingly machiavellian opposition tactics our generation has had the misfortune of experiencing."

You just described the Democratic Party to a T. I've never seen anything like the extremist, self-serving, Machiavellian opposition tactics and cheap populist demagoguery of the Democratic Party of the past 3 years under Pelosi, Reid & Obama.
  • Grandbr... Dan™: R... 2012/04/28 01:13:50
    Grandbrother
    Sorry, but the "I'm rubber and your glue" debate tactic is pretty weak.
  • Dan™: R... Grandbr... 2012/04/28 01:32:24
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    But you see, it's not the "rubber/glue" tactic at all. I'm being completely serious, and I can illustrate exactly what I mean. For at least 3 years I've witnessed a deliberate and sophisticated attempt by the Democrats to game every piece of legislation, every public debate, and every issue for purely partisan gain.

Take the budget issue, for a start. Even though submitting a budget is the most basic of all of the responsibilities of any Congress, and even though it is required by federal law, the Democrat controlled Senate has refused since 2008 to submit a single budget proposal for any of those years. Not one. Why this continued dereliction of duty? Because it hasn't been politically expedient for the Democrats to submit a budget proposal for a vote.

The Democrats calculated that it would be far more politically advantageous to repeatedly force the Republicans into a game of high-stakes brinksmanship of negotiating continuing resolutions to fund the federal government in order to demagogue specific discretionary spending items. The idea was to replicate over and over the success that the Democrats enjoyed in the famous 1995 government shutdown duel in which Democrats believed they damaged the Republicans. It was a cynical Machiavellian ploy then, and it's a cynical Machiave...

The Democrats calculated that it would be far more politically advantageous to repeatedly force the Republicans into a game of high-stakes brinksmanship of negotiating continuing resolutions to fund the federal government in order to demagogue specific discretionary spending items. The idea was to replicate over and over the success that the Democrats enjoyed in the famous 1995 government shutdown duel in which Democrats believed they damaged the Republicans. It was a cynical Machiavellian ploy then, and it's a cynical Machiavellian ploy now.

It's all part of a shameless fear-mongering strategy that seems to characterize virtually everything that Congressional Democrats have done during the Obama years.

So no, it's not a childish "I'm rubber and you're glue" debate tactic. It's reality. What explanation do you have for this unprecedented situation? Is this the way Congress normally has operated in the past?
  • Grandbr... Dan™: R... 2012/04/28 15:17:40 (edited)
    Grandbrother
    Nice try, but none of the Democratic tactics even come close to the regularity with which the GOP has coordinated unanimous opposition votes, even on much needed legislation they would traditionally support - simply because Obama supports it. Or the sheer frequency of filibuster abuse. Or the outright announcements of priority number one being to wrest power away from Obama rather than, oh I don't know, maybe trying to improve the economy. Or the fear-mongering of labelling Obama a "socialist", "death panel" creating "granny killer". No - you are just throwing out demonstrably unfounded, sophomoric "I'm rubber and you're glue" arguments. Don't waste my time.
  • Dan™: R... Grandbr... 2012/04/28 15:59:01
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    You're pathetic. My response wasn't a "nice try." I stated indisputable facts about the shameful manner in which the Democrats have demagogued the budget issue for partisan advantage, and you simply choose to ignore it. The crap you countered with is laughable nonsense. Go ahead and live in your hyper-partisan fantasy-land. You're hopelessly beyond the reach of reason. Don't worry, I won't waste my time trying to argue facts with you.
  • Grandbr... Dan™: R... 2012/04/29 05:05:02
    Grandbrother
    The only thing you're correct about is that your reply was not actually a "nice try". I was indeed being overly generous in saying that. As for demagoguery, look no further than the coordinated opposition of the Zadroga Act to see why you're so very wrong.
  • Dan™: R... Grandbr... 2012/04/29 05:39:35 (edited)
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    Zadroga Zagroga Zadroga! That's alll you care about. Ignore all the other inconvenient facts. Ignore everything else. Just keep beating the Zadroga drum. That's all you wanted to talk about from the outset. Seriously?

You're a total lame-brain.
  • Grandbr... Dan™: R... 2012/04/30 03:43:43 (edited)
    Grandbrother
    You don't comprehend very well, do you? I raised Zadroga as one, undeniably clear-cut example, not as the ONLY example. And earlier you claimed I ignored your criticisms of Democrats when I directly addressed them by saying they simply don't compare to GOP behavior over the last few years. You refer to your own personal theories as "indisputable facts", you dismiss the recognition of demonstable GOP behaviors as "laughable nonsense"...but then I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Spin, redirect, lie, repeat is the current GOP mantra, so why wouldn't their followers adopt the same strategy?
  • Dan™: R... Grandbr... 2012/04/30 23:16:40 (edited)
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    "I raised Zadroga as one, undeniably clear-cut example, not as the ONLY example."

This just shows how deeply ingrained your partisan mentality is. The debate surrounding the Zadroga Act's passage had to do with appropriate funding mechanisms, not whether or not the basic legislative aims of the bill was appropriate. So no, it's not an undeniably clear-cut example of how the GOP has schemed to undermine the Dems or the President's agenda. It's just the opposite. It's an example of how the Dems are always poised and willing to use any issue to depict the Republicans as mean-spirited and evil.

"Spin, redirect, lie, repeat is the current GOP mantra, so why wouldn't their followers adopt the same strategy?"

The funny thing is that I'm not even a Republican; but even I can see through the lies and demagoguery of the shameless hyper-partisan Democrats.
  • Grandbr... Dan™: R... 2012/05/01 00:07:27 (edited)
    Grandbrother
    "The debate surrounding the Zadroga Act's passage had to do with appropriate funding mechanisms"

I'd laugh at your reply if there was anything at all funny about how inane it is. When Republicans voted down Zadroga as part of a scorched-earth strategy to force the extension of the Bush tax cuts ( http://www.newsday.com/news/n... ), and dismissed it as "a massive new entitlement program" ( http://www.politico.com/blogs... ), they were just expressing concern about the "funding mechanisms" of the act? And what of the "funding mechanisms"? Preserving a tax loophole for foreign companies is a greater priority than providing health care for ailing and dying first responders? Give me a break.
  • Dan™: R... Grandbr... 2012/05/01 04:34:07
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    You're beyond the reach of reason and a total partisan hack. There's obviously no point wasting any more time on you. You're 100% in the tank for the Dems and Obama no matter what. I have better things to do than argue with useful idiots. Goodbye.
  • Grandbr... Dan™: R... 2012/05/01 16:59:10
    Grandbrother
    Typical. Once confronted with incontrovertible evidence, resort to personal insults. You lose.
  • Dan™: R... Grandbr... 2012/05/01 19:45:33 (edited)
    Dan™: Real Change, Not False Hope
    Those aren't personal insults, they're accurate descriptors of your politics.The fact is you are indeed a partisan hack. "Partisan hack" and "useful idiot" peg you entirely accurately.

And you say "you lose" ... what did I lose? Were you pretending that this was a real debate or something? How could it have been a real debate when your position is so rigid and utterly inflexible at the outset. No, this never was a debate to begin with. Your mind is so totally addled by partisan propaganda that you're incapable of debate. That makes you the real loser here.

2014/07/30 07:16:05