Rick Santorum Promises War On Porn. Should Porn be Banned?

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/03/16 19:00:54

Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum has promised to initiate a war on porn if elected.

“America is suffering a pandemic of harm from pornography. It contributes to misogyny and violence against women. It is a contributing factor to prostitution and sex trafficking,” the former Pennsylvania senator wrote in a statement posted on his campaign website.

Read More:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/16/rick-santorum-war-on...

• coolguy 2013/05/04 16:55:46
    coolguy
    +1
    First amendment
  • Linkums 2012/04/15 17:44:24
    Linkums
    +1
    His statement only says that he wants to crack down on porn that is already illegal. He's not going to ban porn. >_>
  • Aly Hart 2012/04/15 06:51:01
  • BlytheSpirit~bn0 2012/04/15 05:10:50
    BlytheSpirit~bn0
    +1
    Sure. Why not? We've got a war on every other freaking thing in the universe. Why not add this one to the list. Then we can throw another bunch of Americans into jail.
  • JDLogan 2012/04/15 03:05:27
    JDLogan
    +2
    Santorum is an asshat.
  • Brosia 2012/04/15 02:25:02
    Brosia
    +3
    Okay, so this guy knows what a pandemic is? I doubt it. Besides, it is well known that the areas of the country where the most porn is consumed are also the area where the most Bibles are read (Bet there is also a connection between Mississippi being most religious and having the highest teen pregnancy rate...maybe there needs to be more porn in Mississippi).
  • rockyjr5 2012/03/22 15:47:20
    rockyjr5
    +1
    We should get rid of that trash. Porn is nothing more than a piece of trash and should be banned forever. Also porn should be banned from this world not just the USA.
  • Aly Hart rockyjr5 2012/04/15 06:53:56
    Aly Hart
    Lolwut.
  • HighSch... rockyjr5 2012/06/30 02:56:11
    HighSchoolPhilosopher
    I've always found it amusing that the people who are passionate about their opinions the most are too often the ones who can defend them the least. Explain to me how depictions of one of the most natural processes in existence are "complete trash". And even if you manage to do that, explain to me why fully consenting humans should not be allowed to view/produce trash if they so please (without forcing it on others of course. I don't think anyone should be made to watch it). Go on, I dare you.
  • SilveryRow 2012/03/19 14:50:58
    SilveryRow
    +2
    What an important issue :/
  • CaptænWorgen 2012/03/19 02:38:01
    CaptænWorgen
    +2
    Personally, I think most porn is just gross. The faces the women make are retarded. the positions are not usually the most fun. (although they make for good camera angles)

The people don't seem to have any respect for their partners and some not even for themselves. I have avoided strip clubs and pornography for years because it turns my stomache. However. I realize I am an exception and many people, men and women alike can get past the ridiculousness of it or they managed to find much higher quality pornography than I ever did and they get some positive benefit from it.

I do think porno probably helps reduce crime rather than inciting it. The same argument that IS true about guns is also true about many things. If they ban porn it won't stop the low life side of porn. it wont stop the snuff films and the nasty disgusting things that thankfully I can't even imagine or know what to call even though I suspect their out there. it will just make anyone that takes a video of their naked wife lounging seductively by the pool into a criminal.
  • NoHandlebarsAttached 2012/03/19 00:45:14
  • Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/03/18 19:47:28
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +3
    The government shouldn't regulate morality. Prostitution, Drugs, Pornography, and all other victimless crimes should be legal.
  • Nika 2012/03/18 15:41:52
    Nika
    +1
    Ted Bundy said "If you want to keep people from becoming like me, don't burn Catcher in the Rye, burn Hustler"

I think it can be damaging if people see too young or can lead to unreal fantasies but I don't think you ever could get rid of it. Maybe just try to regulate more.
  • CaptænW... Nika 2012/03/19 03:05:23
    CaptænWorgen
    In many cases, I don't think it's actually the porn itself that does the damage it's the atmosphere of shame and the inability to discuss what appropriate sexual relationships are about or like that makes sickos and psychos.

I have been with women who "like it rough" it didn't last because I can't do that stuff. Am I ashamed? hell no. are they, nope. I don't like clawing and smacking and bondage it is repulsive and has no place in loving but they developed to think that that was fun and exciting.

What we need more of is movies that show loving relationships and lots of sex between people that love and respect each other as a replacement for rape fantasy arch types throwing women onto some surface (bed, table, floor, alley) and ripping their clothes off as they make the duck face. >.<
  • CaptænW... CaptænW... 2012/03/19 03:06:55
    CaptænWorgen
    yes i realize the last paragraph contradicts the first quite a bit, lol, but the first paragraph I think would do more good if you had to choose between the two. Mainly because you can't exterminate the duck face porn, some idiot will keep making it anyway.
  • scum1 2012/03/17 18:21:30
    scum1
    +6
    People call Obama a commie and yet Santorum wants this country run more like china. Censure the internet? Really? Rick wants to run this country like Sharia law only with the bible instead of the Quoran. Next he will be banning all sex except the missionary position. In fact he will probably start his own Mutaween (religious police like in Saudi).
  • Anonymo... scum1 2012/03/18 19:49:14
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +3
    He's a religious extremist, just like Al Qaeda. It's just that he's Christian, so no one gets up in arms about it.
    +1
    Porn is useless and some of the stuff certainly needs some controls because of access by kiddos - seems odd that a parent must purchase ap after ap to keep that crap out of the house. Seems to me, that people who want this crap should be buying ap after ap to get it.
  • Lena 2012/03/17 16:22:15
    Lena
    +1
    Waste of time, human life quality and money . Let alone the fact that it denigrates and profoundly damages the act of a man and a woman making love.
  • Omni Lena 2012/03/18 19:20:10 (edited)
  • Gloria 2012/03/17 14:33:30
    Gloria
    +2
    He's the one that wants a war against women so why does he want a porn war?
  • SukkiBelle 2012/03/17 14:01:50 (edited)
    SukkiBelle
    +4
    I hate porn but not enough to bann it, I just don't watch it. I thought the teabaggers were about smaller government?????? unless it about sex and then you filthy dirty republicans are all in. All the probing into the business of watching women wombs and the gays bedrooms, they sound more like perverts rather than smaller government.
  • irish 2012/03/17 13:40:56
    irish
    +5
    prick needs to be banned though! why isn't he worried about the economy etc?? he has his mind in the gutter a lot doesn't he? he must spend a lot of time there! santorum porn
  • paulyman 2012/03/17 12:55:56
    paulyman
    +2
    Tax it and we would have a surplus instead of a deficit.
  • ConLibFraud 2012/03/17 12:48:29
    ConLibFraud
    +4
    Those of you who support Santorass support NO FREEDOM!!!!! What's next? Inhaling air is a sin!!!!!
  • Kirk Torsten 2012/03/17 09:37:38
    Kirk Torsten
    +5
    Just another false war to divide the people and run off with all the money.
  • William Day 2012/03/17 07:05:54
    +2
    Again, the political/christian right is trying to squash the freedom of speech and expression.
  • Poison Ivy 2012/03/17 04:27:13
    Poison Ivy
    +1
    Especially from internet
  • Pat 2012/03/17 04:26:35
    +2
    There has always been porn. I really wish he'd get off his morality crusade and address some of the real issues we're facing.
  • Curmudgeon 2012/03/17 03:33:08
    Curmudgeon
    +2
    Does anyone in the United States read their own history? Prohibition does nothing to make people stop doing things, as this only works on the surface as people want to seem compliant. Behind closed doors people will plot ways to get around it and charge more for people that want to watch porn.

Besides, if he wants to talk about misogyny and violence against women why not read the old testament? As there are some lovely passages about that.
  • ★misfit★ 2012/03/17 03:10:23 (edited)
    ★misfit★
    +2
    Only child porn. What adults willingly choose to publicize and watch is not the government's business. And this is coming from a feminist who really doesn't like how women are portrayed in a lot of porn.
  • cellophane 2012/03/17 02:09:59
    cellophane
    +2
    That's already been tried. SCOTUS stomped on that fast. He'd have to come up with a constitutional amendment, and that ain't likely to happen now, is it?
  • RicardoCabeza 2012/03/17 01:12:28
    RicardoCabeza
    +1
    The last time I checked the economic opportunity had more to do with Women's choice to choose Prostitution or Porn as a career, and it would lead to reason that if there were more economic opportunities there would be fewer Porn Stars, and Prostitutes as most of them really do not enjoy the business. Much like the average House Wife who stopped putting out two weeks after her Honeymoon only to twirl the whirley for a twenty every chance she gets.
  • classicdisney1 2012/03/17 01:11:00
    classicdisney1
    +1
    Well, it would be a lot easier to decide if there were an undecided option. In my opinion, i just don't see the point in porn. You should at least be able to get aroused by your significant other without having to see someone else. On the other hand, many people do like it, and I don't want to ruin it for everybody else. Undecided.
  • HighSch... classic... 2012/06/30 02:50:49
    HighSchoolPhilosopher
    Have you not considered those who don't have a significant other?
  • RobHom 2012/03/17 00:18:57
    RobHom
    +3
    He's pandering for votes.... The issue was already settle by SCOTUS....

Its another hot button issue that detracts from the real issues facing the country.
  • Libertarian Right 2012/03/17 00:07:29
    Libertarian Right
    +2
    No, only child pornography should be banned. Hell, if Rick Santorum had his way, anyone caught looking at an "adult" website would endure fifty lashes, or worse...

blinding

2014/10/21 15:18:00