Rick Santorum loses Illinois primary, Mitt Romney wins

Mopvyzo 2012/03/21 09:45:48
Comment
Comment
Comment
Illinois Primary 2012: 3 Big Reasons Santorum Lost

Mitt Romney won Illinois's Republican presidential primary and dramatically increased his chances to become his party's 2012 nominee, largely due to the support of moderate conservatives and voters who thought he was the candidate with the best chance to beat President Barack Obama in November.

The former Massachusetts governor clinched his victory with a 12-point lead over Rick Santorum, the runner-up, in Obama's home state. Romney won most of the 54 delegates up for grabs Tuesday and solidified his position as the front-runner in this year's unusually long race for the Republican nomination.

With 99 percent of results in, Romney received 46.7 percent of votes in Illinois. Santorum was second with 35 percent, followed by Texas congressman Ron Paul (9.3 percent) and former House of Representatives speaker Newt Gingrich (8 percent).

Not all of the delegates had been officially awarded to the candidates as of late Tuesday, but the Associated Press reported that 40 delegates will support Romney and represent him in August at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla. Additional delegates -- Illinois has a total of 69 -- will be chosen at a later time by party leaders.

Romney's delegate tally will push him even further ahead of Santorum -- before Tuesday's primary, the front-runner had 522 delegates to Santorum's 252. A total of 1,144 delegates are needed to secure the Republican nomination and face Obama.

delegates santorums 252 total 1144 delegates secure republican nomination obama

When Romney and his wife, Ann, took the stage in Schaumburg, Ill., on Tuesday night, only 45 percent of precincts had reported their results, but media outlets had already projected him the winner. He spent most of his speech hammering "Professor" Obama, who Romney claims couldn't have learned about the economy as a University of Chicago law professor.

"It's time to say these words, this word -- 'enough.' We've had enough," Romney said to cheering supporters.

The Illinois win, as well as his overwhelming victory in Puerto Rico over the weekend, was what Romney needed to pad his lead in a race in which no Republican has emerged as the undisputed standard-bearer.

Polls leading up to Tuesday's vote had Romney in the lead by an average winning margin of 10 points, according to Real Clear Politics. Still, Santorum had been hoping for an upset like the ones he scored last week in Alabama and Mississippi, propelling him into a two-man race with Romney.

Although Pennsylvania's primary in April looks promising for native son Santorum, other upcoming contests in Washington, D.C., New York, Connecticut and elsewhere appear Romney's to win.

Tuesday marked the beginning of the end for Santorum. Below are three big reasons he lost Illinois, and why he'll probably lose the nomination.

Demographics

Exit poll data collected by CNN indicated that Illinois had significantly different demographics than in Alabama and Mississippi, where Santorum won and Romney came in third place. The Prairie State lacked the conservative, evangelical and religious voters that helped him sweep the Deep South, giving Romney a competitive edge.

Forty-two percent of Illinois primary voters identified themselves as evangelical or born-again Christians, while 31 percent said they were "very conservative." In both Mississippi and Alabama, about 80 percent said they were evangelical Christians; in Mississippi, 42 percent considered themselves "very conservative," compared with 36 percent of Alabama voters.

Santorum's popularity among those more conservative voters, as well as his favor among voters from rural parts of Illinois, helped him win many counties downstate. Unfortunately for him, Romney won over Chicago and surrounding counties, which are much more densely populated and politically moderate.

In his speech in Gettysburg, Pa., Santorum tried to play up the exit poll numbers and paint himself as the real "conservative" in the race. "We won the areas that the Republicans and the conservatives populate," he said.

Santorum is a favorite among many on the far right, but his inability to win over moderates is a debilitating weakness, one that would become even more pronounced in the general election. And he isn't the universal favorite among all Tea Party movement supporters and evangelical Christians. For example, he lost badly to Romney on Tuesday in Illinois's Peoria County, 46.6 percent to 37.5 percent, which has a strong Tea Party presence that the Washington Post described as representative of middle America.

Low Turnout

Despite pleas by Republican candidates for Illinois voters to show up Tuesday, the primary had very low turnout -- a likely sign of voters' lack of enthusiasm.

Throughout Chicago, voter participation was "extremely low" Jim Allen, a spokesman for the city's election board, told the Chicago Sun-Times. Some of the lowest-turnout areas were Republican strongholds.

Only one in five registered voters cast ballots in Sangamon County, a largely conservative area in central Illinois, according to the Associated Press. The same ratio of voters in the Republican-leaning suburbs of Cook County made their ways to the polls.

Santorum realized that turnout was critical to any success he might hope for. In Illinois last week, he told a group of supporters that "turnout is everything."

But only 47 percent of voters expressed strong suppor for their candidate, while 40 percent said they "have reservations" and 11 percent said they disliked the other candidates.

More than three months into the Republican campaign, no other Republican candidate -- including Santorum -- has been able to drum up enough excitement to dislodge Romney from his perch as inevitable nominee.

Electability

The most telling bit of data from Tuesday's exit polls: the degree to which voters considered the ability to beat Obama the most important quality for the Republican nominee. A total of 36 percent said electability was a candidate's most important attribute, while 23 percent cited "strong moral character" as No. 1. Another 19 percent said being a "true conservative" was most important and 18 percent looked for "the right experience" in their candidate.

Electability is a quality that voters across the United States value in a candidate, regardless of how conservative a state is. In Mississippi, 39 percent of Republican voters said defeating Obama was the most important factor in a Republican presidential nominee, compared to 20 percent who selected "true conservative" and "strong moral character." In Alabama, 35 percent said electability was the most important.

Not surprisingly, Romney dominated among voters who thought a candidate's chance of taking down Obama was his most important trait. In Illinois, 74 percent of voters who had that priority in mind voted for Romney.

Romney's victory in Illinois is a major blow to the Santorum campaign because it proves an inevitable truth about the 2012 presidential election: At this point, Republicans just want someone they think can beat Obama.

Results for Illinois Republican Primary (U.S. Presidential Primary)
Mar 20, 2012 (99% of precincts reporting)
Mitt Romney428,43446.7%20 2012 99 precincts reporting mitt romney 428434 46 7
Rick Santorum321,07935%reporting mitt romney 428434 46 7 rick santorum 321079 35
Ron Paul85,4649.3%7 rick santorum 321079 35 ron paul 85464 9 3
Newt Gingrich72,9428%35 ron paul 85464 9 3 newt gingrich 72942 8
Other9,1271%paul 85464 9 3 newt gingrich 72942 8 9127 1
Source: AP

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/Barack-Obama...

• carolynb 2012/03/21 10:30:13
    Comment
    carolynb
    +7
    These primaries are so boring, unlike the democratic ones in 2008. Romney the robot, and Santorum the sex obsessed make me yawn.

• Dave 007 2012/03/25 11:53:06
    Comment
    Dave 007
    And the beat goes one (Sonny & Cher song).
    Comment
    whatever.
  • Reggie☮ 2012/03/23 20:17:19
    Comment
    Reggie☮
    Santorum is an idiot and his statements against Romney and for Obie just goes to show you how big!!!!! Now he's acting like a 5 y/o "bad loser"
  • Arizona... Reggie☮ 2012/03/24 15:10:24
    Arizona1950
    +1
    Pesident Barack Obama's 2012 budget proposal asks Congress to devote millions of more dollars for a new trade enforcement center and more U.S. inspectors in China. The Obama anddministration are looking to take aim at unfair trade practices abroad to boost U.S. manufacturing and exports as he tries to win over voters and improve the economy in this election year.

Calling the country a "cheater," Romney promises to impose a variety of trade restrictions on China if they don't comply with what he calls intellectual property laws and allow their currency to float freely in foreign exchange markets.

"I'll clamp down on the cheaters" says Romeny, "and China is the worst example" as he unrolled his plan for job creation in Las Vegas.

"If they cheat, there is a price to pay," he added. "I don't want a trade war, but I don't want a trade surrender either."

Yet Paul stands strong and tells us that much like the Smoot-Hawley Tariffs that set off a global trade war and effectively doomed us to ten more years of economic misery, Obama’s decision to enact steep tariffs on Chinese imports could spark a trade war with the single most important trading partner we have.

We might not like it because we know we should never have reached this point in our economy. We are here because of our government...

We might not like it because we know we should never have reached this point in our economy. We are here because of our governments bad business choices; but lets be honest with ourselves not only does China manufacture a whole host of products that end up on American store shelves, they are also still buying our Treasury debt." do you wish Obama to continue to direct America using even more sanctions against a sovereign nation?

Obama vs. Romney - What's the Difference?

If you like Obamacare, then vote for Romney or vote for Obama. It really does not matter. If you support war-mongering then vote for Obama or vote for Romney, it really does not matter. On Mideast policies, it does not matter. On trade, it does not matter.

Other than a small number of social issues like abortion, it simply does not matter.

If you want a change, then vote for Ron Paul.
  • Reggie☮ Arizona... 2012/03/24 16:21:19
    Reggie☮
    +1
    Arizona we are on the same side and RP has ALWAYS been my choice and with all the promoting and emailing and donations etc, etc it doesn't look like he's going to be in the WH, people just won't open their eyes. So unless things drastically change, perhaps a new hat in the ring or a miracle I think we have to look at what we need to do in 6 months and my Conscience will Not allow me to vote for the present liar in the WH. Yes we can write RP in but it didn't get him in the WH in 08 and I don't think it will now unless major changes take place. Will we see big changes with Romney? absolutely NOT but for me, if RP isn't likely to get in I either vote for Obie's cousin Romney, write RP in (which will just be a non-vote) or I just don't vote. I'm trying to keep it real. RP is the ONLY man who belongs in the WH but will it happen, doubtful. I don't want to be watching the election results and see Obie % Romney % and the man I write in RP 10%. giving the present liar and chief 4 more years :)
  • Arizona... Reggie☮ 2012/03/24 16:53:43
    Arizona1950
    +1
    Don't loose hope ... there are more today that have come to understand his message, more willing to stand up for him and even though he isn't currently in the WH his message is already bringing change.

People should just start admitting it to themselves ... its not RP who scares them, its the Constitution is how I am starting to see it.

Unless people wake up and vote the Constitution (not the man) we will only be replacing one liar in chief with another.
  • Reggie☮ Arizona... 2012/03/24 19:45:32
    Reggie☮
    +1
    I could't agree more, I still have hope and if things look like they are turning and RP has an honest chance of getting in he definately has my vote. I just have a plan "B" in case plan "A" doesn't work. Nothing would make me happier than to see the Constitution followed. I know one liar is no better than the next but I just can't listen to the one we've had for the last 3.5 yrs anymore.
  • Arizona... Reggie☮ 2012/03/24 19:59:11
    Arizona1950
    +1
    Its your call.
  • Michael... Arizona... 2012/03/24 23:25:51
    MichaelDillon
    You got that right!
  • Arizona... Michael... 2012/03/25 01:21:36
    Arizona1950
    but let me add ... the Romney trusts reportedly owns or owned stock in the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, China Life Insurance, China Northshore Oil and China Merchants Holdings, and the China Fire and Security Group. There are also investments in Gazprom, the Russian state-owned company directed by Putin and his KGB-FSB mafia cronies, and the Bain investments in Iran, through French banking giant BNP Paribas.

Although Romney can claim that the family trusts are “blind,” he reportedly gave his attorney, Mr. Malt, instructions to invest in only those companies that are in accord with his (Romney’s) beliefs and to divest from those that conflict with his values.
  • Michael... Arizona... 2012/03/25 01:30:58
    MichaelDillon
    Not suprised.
  • Arizona... Michael... 2012/03/25 01:40:21
    Arizona1950
    and yet he says this while campaigning ... another liar is how I see it.

• Hawk 2012/03/23 13:04:48
    Comment
    Hawk
    +1
    our country is going down to a new low. I just read an article that santorum said in the paper if he isn`t the candidate to run for president the republicans should give obama another chance for re election and vote for him. Politics is a dirty buisness and debates are part of it but to bad mouth an opponent and publicly say if he isn`t on the ballot vote for obama. Santorum is a new class of low life. Just what we need to run for president. I`m not saying Romney is the answear.
  • nothingbutthetruth 2012/03/22 06:51:48
    Comment
    nothingbutthetruth
    Who cares! Can you really tell the difference?
  • ☮ Ron ☮ Paul ☮ 2012! ☮ 2012/03/22 05:02:12
    Comment
    ☮ Ron ☮ Paul ☮ 2012! ☮
    +1
    These were the results the night before the primary:
    http://www.youtube.com/v/hdGJ...
  • MsTlynne 2012/03/22 03:18:57 (edited)
    Comment
    MsTlynne
    Each is trying sooo hard to be the man to lose to PRESIDENT OBAMA in November. It really doesn't matter which.
  • mac9 2012/03/22 02:49:38
    Comment
    mac9
    The majority will get behind Romney. The idea is to defeat obama.
  • MsTlynne mac9 2012/03/22 03:20:57 (edited)
    MsTlynne
    Romney won't carry Alabama. These born again southern baptists will just stay home on election day before they vote for "that mormon". I know because I hear them say it every day. They really don't care who knows it.
  • Reggie☮ MsTlynne 2012/03/23 20:19:37
    Reggie☮
    Aren't the southern "baptists" just wonderful folks, Lol:)
  • MsTlynne Reggie☮ 2012/03/23 20:54:21
    MsTlynne
    really special!
  • clasact 2012/03/22 02:07:36
    Comment
    clasact
    not all that surprising to me and the more people find out about Santorum the more he will lose
  • Tennessee3501 2012/03/21 21:17:43
    Comment
    Tennessee3501
    Now that actor Robert De Niro has proclaimed that America is not ready for a "white First Lady", either Rick or Mitt will have to dump their wives and marry an African American woman (definitely not a man) before the November elections. Condi Rice is available (LOL !)
  • David (oYo) 2012/03/21 19:47:30
  • Arizona... David (... 2012/03/24 15:12:05
    Arizona1950

I know who I'm voting for ... and its NOT the status quo.
  • David (... Arizona... 2012/03/24 22:07:57
  • Arizona... David (... 2012/03/24 22:21:13
    Arizona1950
    Why? Because you say so ... their culture is not our culture and as I don't want them coming here telling me how to run this country even though they have 1,000s of years of history compared to our 236 I offer little encouragement for anyone to go there and tell them they are doing it wrong.
  • David (... Arizona... 2012/03/24 22:26:09
  • Arizona... David (... 2012/03/24 22:32:03
    Arizona1950
    Ahhh .. I see you are a war-monger. I don't suffer fools lightly ... see ya!
  • David (... Arizona... 2012/03/24 22:38:43
  • Arizona... David (... 2012/03/24 22:43:26
    Arizona1950
    What is free and fair trade to you? Is is putting sanctions on another nation because they don't agree with you?
  • David (... Arizona... 2012/03/24 22:44:56
  • Arizona... David (... 2012/03/24 22:49:33
    Arizona1950
    I ask again what is free and fair trade to you and how many countries follow suit?
  • David (... Arizona... 2012/03/24 22:55:13
  • Arizona... David (... 2012/03/24 22:58:35 (edited)
    Arizona1950
    what has that got to do with free and fair trade between nations? Again you are for sanctions which is neither free or fair but in essence trying to hold a country hostage...
  • David (... Arizona... 2012/03/24 23:12:49
  • Arizona... David (... 2012/03/24 23:14:43 (edited)
    Arizona1950
    Nobody is asking you to buy their goods or forcing you do so either so I am not sure what you mean when you say they can leave.
  • David (... Arizona... 2012/03/24 23:23:33
  • Arizona... David (... 2012/03/25 01:22:23
    Arizona1950
    you may want to read this ... the Romney trusts reportedly owns or owned stock in the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, China Life Insurance, China Northshore Oil and China Merchants Holdings, and the China Fire and Security Group. There are also investments in Gazprom, the Russian state-owned company directed by Putin and his KGB-FSB mafia cronies, and the Bain investments in Iran, through French banking giant BNP Paribas.

• David (... Arizona... 2012/03/25 10:22:03
  • Arizona... David (... 2012/03/25 13:08:43 (edited)
    Arizona1950
    Its time America got up off her knees ... 10 years has been long enough ...

The time has come that we voted smart, voted proud, and voted the constitution.

2014/10/01 14:18:19